News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Disappearing tables

Previous topic - Next topic

JKRich

I like to set up customized bot games so I can play the way I like (I prefer 3p Colony games), so whenever I log in I go to "Create Table" and set up my game. I wish there was a "Save Table" option so I wouldn't have to keep recreating the table every day I play, but instead things have gone the opposite direction. Today, after I finish a game, if I go away for a few minutes and come back to the end screen and click "Ready" to start another game I get a dialog box "This command requires a table". I get the same thing if I click "Edit Table", which takes me to "My Table" and still shows the details of my set-up table, then click "Ready". Is the table being timed out/abandoned after only a few minutes? For me that would be absolutely terrible and maybe even send me away. Please at least restore things to how they were yesterday. Thanks.

Lotoreo

If you only play against bots, you can simply start the new game before you leave.

JKRich

Quote from: Lotoreo on 16 June 2017, 06:33:37 PM
If you only play against bots, you can simply start the new game before you leave.
Excellent point. Starting a new game (even if I'm not sure if/when I'll play it) is a viable workaround, thanks.

JKRich

Quote from: Lotoreo on 16 June 2017, 06:33:37 PM
New info - I tried this, starting a game before I left to pick up my car from the shop, and when I got back the game screen was weirdly partially replaced by the login screen, then fully replaced when I clicked somewhere, and then when I clicked to re-login I got the ongoing spinning castle until I clicked to reconnect and resign, which took me back to the main entry screen where I would have to start over again.
Quote from: JKRich on 16 June 2017, 08:15:07 PM
Excellent point. Starting a new game (even if I'm not sure if/when I'll play it) is a viable workaround, thanks.
I was wrong - not a workaround at all. I sure hope this a mistake and not intentional programming. Again, I wish to be able to save a table format so I can recreate it less. This is just the opposite.

Stef

I will look into this, although I don't think the solution will be simple.

Some people have unreliable connections, and (unfortunately?) I'm not one of them. Reconnecting to the gameservers seems to be working fine for almost everybody; now we need to put more effort in reconnecting you to the metaserver too. I know 1.2.7 has been a significant improvement for some, but apparently problems remain for others.

It's certainly not the intention to remove your table or make it disappear somehow, but we apparently missed at least one step in recreating and/or reconnecting you to your old table state.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know.

JKRich

I appreciate the thoughtful response, Stef. I'm sure that dealing with "We made things better for some people, great." then "Oh, no, now we've made them worse for others." must be frustrating at times.