Unable to select expansions for Kingdom Cards in iOS or Mac full screen + more..

Previous topic - Next topic

7string

I stopped playing for a few months to see if the interface issues got better.  First try today, and ran into problems right away.  I wanted to play a game with my wife on our iPads.  She hadn't played for a while and just wanted a simple base game with the new base cards. I found that on iOS I was unable to deselect some of the expansions in the Kingdom card selection  because they are displayed BEHIND the object window for the choices of Colonies and Shelters.  No amount of turning the iPad or trying to touch in between the Colony/Shelter boxes would allow me to deselect the expansions hidden behind that window.  I went over to my MacBook Pro and found exactly the same issue when running either Chrome or Safari in full screen mode.  However, if I changed the display to window mode it correctly moved the object window for the Colonies and Shelters below the list of expansions and I was able to deselect the expansions.  This is a bug that has been there from the day 1 and really needs to get fixed.  My MacBook Pro is a retina display, as is my iPad Pro.  Perhaps the GUI is not coded properly for retina displays??

I also found the whole process of simply getting a friend to join a game to be cumbersome.  Fortunately we were in the same room, but why can't I simply initiate a game with an invite to someone in my Friends list rather than me having to start a new table and then they have to join the game from their device??  Seems to me that would not work well for remote players who wouldn't know when I was ready unless I texted them offline from the game...  Maybe I'm missing something...please enlighten me if I am.

I love the game, but there still is a whole lot of work to do to make the interface better for new and casual players...including campaigns and improved AI.  Oh, and I actually long for the old GOKO lobby system...at least I could find people I knew...this system just seems too obscure.  I rarely want to play game with strangers so don't appreciate the matching process much, and on Goko/MF, I could at least see who people were playing with, and then try to join a game with them.

I do wish you well and hope that I see enough improvement by end of year that I want to continue paying the subscription fee...  I used to recommend Dominion Online to new players, but this version seems to be targeted mostly at long-time players who are already very familiar with the game and interface.

Stef

For what it's worth, I agree with most of the things you mention.

It's mostly a matter of available money/coding hours/experience with UI. Note that we don't officially support playing on an iPad, although I was happy to be able to play a few games on it myself. I don't miss the old lobby at all, but we should have direct game invitations implemented.

7string

Thanks Stef!  Yes, actually the iPad works just fine for Dominion Online as long as I only do random (my usual mode) and don't try to select specific expansions.

Do please note that the issue with the Colonies/Shelters object/window overlaying the expansion selections object/window also exists on the Mac when you run the browser in full screen mode.  I noticed this in the first week when you went live, but didn't bother to report it because you were working on so many other higher priorities.  I discovered an easy work-around that you just need to temporarily change the browser to window mode to select expansions, and then you can change it back to full screen.  But hopefully you still have this on your list to fix.  Just would make it more simple polished for new users.  Maybe this just impacts Mac retina displays or other high resolution displays?