Is it legal to ban people?

Previous topic - Next topic

gitsticker8

Just a thought.  If somebody pays a subscription and subsequently get banned, do they have a case for legal action?  Most gaming companies have a ToS (Terms of Service) agreement that if broken, may result in a legal ban.  I don't remember signing any ToS for this game.  Let's say I pay, then I slow-roll, then I get banned.  Am I entitled to my money back?  Have my rights been violated?

Seprix

Quote from: gitsticker8 on 06 July 2017, 06:44:00 PM
Just a thought.  If somebody pays a subscription and subsequently get banned, do they have a case for legal action?  Most gaming companies have a ToS (Terms of Service) agreement that if broken, may result in a legal ban.  I don't remember signing any ToS for this game.  Let's say I pay, then I slow-roll, then I get banned.  Am I entitled to my money back?  Have my rights been violated?

I'm guessing you've been banned, since you're so worried about it. :P

gitsticker8

Good guess, not banned though (yet).  I was just curious actually and bored at work.  Looks like the ducks are in a row.

Cave-O-Sapien

After reading (most) of the ToS, I'm going to start reporting people for having gibberish in their usernames.

And does Donald count as a "popular culture figure?"

QuoteIn particular, you may not use any name:

(i) Belonging to another person with the intent to impersonate that person, including without limitation any Shuffle iT employee;

(ii) That incorporates vulgar language or which are otherwise offensive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

(iii) Subject to the rights of any other person or entity without written authorization from that person or entity;

(iv) That belongs to a popular culture figure, celebrity, or media personality;

(v) That is, contains, or is substantially similar to a trademark or service mark, whether registered or not;

(vi) Related to drugs, sex, alcohol, or criminal activity;

(vii) Comprised of gibberish;

Donald X.

Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 07 July 2017, 12:03:27 AM
I'm just a red link in wikipedia (well, the English one).

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: Donald X. on 07 July 2017, 02:32:08 AM
Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 07 July 2017, 12:03:27 AM
I'm just a red link in wikipedia (well, the English one).

Phew! Because otherwise there are lots of users in clear violation of the terms of service.

Stef

Quote from: gitsticker8 on 06 July 2017, 06:44:00 PM
...pays a subscription and subsequently get banned...

This is entirely hypothetical. The people that feel a desire to pay for / contribute to a service they're using, are a strict subset of the people that are willing to play a game at the expense of others.

In other words - I've never had a single complaint yet about a paying member.

That doesn't mean you'd be excused from any behaviour if you're paying, and it also doesn't imply I wouldn't be willing to ban you. But there would probably be some series of warnings first.

Sharajat

Paying cover charge at a bar doesn't entitle you to be a dick to the patrons.  Paying for seats at a stadium doesn't entitle you to shout insults and throw things at the players.  Buying concert tickets doesn't entitle you to rush the stage and disrupt the concert. 

Just because you paid doesn't mean you suddenly have an unlimited right to do anything you want.  If you want to go in front of a judge to explain that they were totally mean to you because you only played cards in 5 minute intervals, or couldn't resist using racial slurs as exclamation points, you can expect to be laughed out of the courtroom, and pay their legal fee too.

gitsticker8

Paying for a subscription entitles you to that subscription unless you break the law or violate a ToS.  Clearly there is a ToS that if broken warrants a ban even for paying users.  If there was no ToS however, I think it's more of a grey area and banning might be illegal.  As much as we wish we could hold internet trolls to the same standards as bar patrons, it's simply not the case.