Introduce ability to offer resignation

Previous topic - Next topic

dane

Some players dislike it when their opponent resigns in a lost position.  Against such players I do not want to resign.  Other players dislike being forced to play out a game that they are clearly going to win.  Against such players I am willing to resign, assuming of course that I'm of the opinion that they are clearly going to win, even though my natural inclination is to play the game out.

Given the above, when I'm in a clearly lost position I would like to be able to offer my resignation so that I don't have to guess which of the two categories my opponent is in.  Currently I can only do this via the chat, but this is only a viable option if I know I'm playing against someone who speaks English.  To get round this problem it would be nice if the UI were to include the ability to offer one's resignation.  Perhaps this could be done by extending the current 'Yes'/'No' choice after clicking on 'Resign' to 'Yes'/'Offer resignation'/'No'.

gitsticker8

You are oozing with good sportsmanship.  It actually makes me mad a little.  Nevertheless, I like your idea.

Jacob Marley

For me, I'd always allow my opponent to resign.  Basically, if they don't want to play that game any more, for whatever reason, they should be allowed to resign.  No good can ever come from forcing someone to continue playing if they want to go.

Basically, it is your right to resign, at any time, for any reason.  If your opponent has a problem with that, it is just that, their problem.  Not yours.

So I guess I don't really see this as necessary.  IF you want to ask in chat if they object to you resigning, go ahead.  It's a nice thing to do, but I'm against any feature that even implies that players have a duty to keep playing even when they no longer want to.

JW

Even if you resign, your opponent can always continue the game against a computer player, as of a recent update: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=604.msg7060#msg7060

QuoteVersion 1.2.7
resigning with >1 human opponent automated unrated continuation with a bot replacement; the original game is lost by the resigning player with a small additional rating penalty; both other players won
resigning with 1 human opponent no automated continuation, but the non-resigning player gets a button to play on versus a bot on the end-of-game screen.