Charm does not work with multiple Charms/buys

Previous topic - Next topic

katie_mi

Joining game #5097070 on oregon. In the game I had played 3 charms. 2 I used for extra buy while I used the 3rd for extra card. I had 13 money and bought 1 Province and 1 Duchy. The Duchy should give me an extra 5er card. I should also be able to get to of the same cards with 2 charms. Having 2 cards in play for extra card I bought a charm and then chose a Market. For the second charm I couldn't get a market or charm anymore.

Mic Qsenoch

On turn 14 (when you played 3 Charms) you bought the Province before the Duchy. Charm's extra card gaining ability only works "the next time you buy a card this turn", which in this case was when you bought the Province. To get an extra $5 card you needed to buy the Duchy first.

There's no turn where you buy a Charm with 2 Charms in play. On turn 13 you buy a Market with 2 Charms in play and gain a Charm and a Count. When I undo back to that decision point, after buying the Market I can gain any two $5 cards which are not Market, which is correct (I could gain 2 Charms).

Ingix

Quote from: katie_mi on 12 July 2017, 11:48:04 AM
Joining game #5097070 on oregon. In the game I had played 3 charms. 2 I used for extra buy while I used the 3rd for extra card. I had 13 money and bought 1 Province and 1 Duchy. The Duchy should give me an extra 5er card.

Charm gives you the "differently named card with the same cost" only for the next buy. You bought the Province first, Duchy second on turn 14, so the game worked correctly. If you bought them in reverse order, you could have done what you intended.

Quote from: katie_mi on 12 July 2017, 11:48:04 AM
I should also be able to get to of the same cards with 2 charms. Having 2 cards in play for extra card I bought a charm and then chose a Market. For the second charm I couldn't get a market or charm anymore.

I guess this is about turn 13, where according to the log you bought a Market and used 2 Charms to gain a Charm and a Count. I tried and I could get 2 Counts or 2 Charms at that point. Maybe you simply forgot to click on the Charms pile to buy a Charm (you had just clicked on 2 Charms in your hand to play them). In that case, when you clicked on the Market and thought you were gaining it via Charm#1, you where actually buying it. So in this case the game correctly disallowed you to gain another copy of it via the Charms.