not getting Conspirator bonus (and difficulty 1x in playing treasure)

Previous topic - Next topic

santamonica811

Game: 5197937

1a.  I guess actions played via Hiring do not count towards the 3 (incl Consp) each turn, right?  Due to Hirling staying in play??  (although this seems to violate the Consp. card, which only says that you get the bonus, as long as at least 2 others are in play beforehand).  Whatever.
1b.  Regardless, after all my Hirlings were "played," I played two additional actions from my hand.  Apprentice and Hamlet.  But even with this, when I next played Consp, I did not get the coins or the extra action.  I had to ask for an Undo and play an additional Hamlet.  So, it worked as long as I played *3* actions before playing Consp.

2.  In the same game, in a longish turn, after playing my final action of Smuggler (and getting the smuggled card), the game tried to end my turn.  I had one coin on the board, and have 5 or 6 others in my deck.  But no "autoplay" button, and no way to click on any of my coins.  I had to again for another Undo, and that fixed the bug.  Weird.

JW

A duration action that started your turn in play was not "played" for the purpose of Conspirator.

Rabid

I think this is the turn:

R starts their turn.
R draws a Curse, a Royal Seal and a Hamlet (Hireling).
R shuffles their deck.
R draws a Copper and a Conspirator (Hireling).
R plays an Apprentice.
R trashes a Curse.
R plays a Hamlet.
R draws an Estate.
R plays a Conspirator.
R draws a Copper.

Worked fine for me only playing Apprentice / Hamlet / Conspirator.

2)
My best guess would be:
Smugglers with only 1 target = forced gain = easy to miss.
You then click on the pile and buy it instead.

AdamH

Quote from: Rabid on 16 July 2017, 03:43:20 PM
My best guess would be:
Smugglers with only 1 target = forced gain = easy to miss.
You then click on the pile and buy it instead.

Seems like the real bug report here is that decisions where there is only one legal option should not be automatically made for the player because it's really confusing. It's very easy to require clicks for everything and then just add an option somewhere to make these decisions for the user, which is disabled by default.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: AdamH on 17 July 2017, 04:43:02 AM
Seems like the real bug report here is that decisions where there is only one legal option should not be automatically made for the player because it's really confusing. It's very easy to require clicks for everything and then just add an option somewhere to make these decisions for the user, which is disabled by default.

Several of us have been pleading for this behavior since launch and it hasn't been addressed. I'm skeptical that it ever will be, but I'm more convinced than ever that it's the right way for the UI to function by default.

I've been playing a lot of the EXCELLENT Race for the Galaxy app lately, and it does not ever make decisions for the player when there is only one valid option. My experience with that game has confirmed what I felt before: the minuscule gains in speed of automatic decisions are outweighed by the "cognitive hiccup" that occurs because it's not clear to the user what just happened and why.

Ingix

OTOH, when playing the Making Fun version of Dominion, I often wished that those scenarios where you have to choose an order for some set of cards, and those cards happen to be all the same, could be sped up. Like if you buy a Mandarin with 5 Copper, and you had to put each Copper back to the deck one after another. So it's not like (at least to me) the general idea to get rid of selections that boil down to just one option in a given case is not appreciated.

Another aspect is that the fast speed at which this happens automatically will alert a human opponent. So if I see me opponent play an Archive and the log immediately says that he looked at 3 cards, set 2 aside and took one in hand, I know that he got 3 identical cards. This is not information I'm supposed to have. This is similar to opponent thinking about playing a Reaction when I play an Attack. If the game in that situation does not immediately continue with my Attack, I know that opponent has a Reaction in hand, even if he finally decides not to play it.

Making the automatic execution of "only one choice possible" actions optional would of course be the best option. In the meantime, maybe putting an alert in the 'central information area' (where your Action/Buy/Money accounts are) that some streamlining happened would be possible (like sometimes it directs you to the log for choices to make).

AdamH

Quote from: Ingix on 18 July 2017, 12:07:27 PM
OTOH, when playing the Making Fun version of Dominion, I often wished that those scenarios where you have to choose an order for some set of cards, and those cards happen to be all the same, could be sped up. Like if you buy a Mandarin with 5 Copper, and you had to put each Copper back to the deck one after another. So it's not like (at least to me) the general idea to get rid of selections that boil down to just one option in a given case is not appreciated.

Yeah, that's a great reason why it should be an available option to have these decisions made for you. The user should be able to configure these things to happen if they want.

Another aspect is that the fast speed at which this happens automatically will alert a human opponent. So if I see me opponent play an Archive and the log immediately says that he looked at 3 cards, set 2 aside and took one in hand, I know that he got 3 identical cards. This is not information I'm supposed to have. This is similar to opponent thinking about playing a Reaction when I play an Attack. If the game in that situation does not immediately continue with my Attack, I know that opponent has a Reaction in hand, even if he finally decides not to play it.

Making the automatic execution of "only one choice possible" actions optional would of course be the best option.

And these are the reasons why that option should not be enabled by default. Users should have to explicitly enable it if they feel that they would rather give up this game-related information to have this type of interface.

In the meantime, maybe putting an alert in the 'central information area' (where your Action/Buy/Money accounts are) that some streamlining happened would be possible (like sometimes it directs you to the log for choices to make).

I think having an animation with that choice being made for you would be much better. The only animations that currently exist are ones that play each treasure individually when you press the play all treasures button; having animations would actually solve a LOT of problems with the software, most of them related to the fact that it's very difficult to tell what's happening on your opponent's turns. At the very least, any card that is gained on opponents' should dance in front of the player (just this one thing would make the software so much better).

Also, if the game log actually displayed all of the things that happened during the game, then the game log would be a nice workaround, but unfortunately it doesn't. Right now it's not possible to know the exact state of the game from the game log alone; many times you can piece it together from the game log and the actions/buys/money counter, but there are a lot of reasons why that's not good enough.