News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Outpost + Donate

Previous topic - Next topic

SirDagen

Hello

I think I found a bug. I bought a Donate after playing my Outpost and I have five cards in my hand. That doesnt look right, right. I am so confused.
Greetings,
SirDagen

JW

Not a bug. Because Donate's effect happens after the turn, it has strange interactions with Outpost. In particular, you get a 3-card Outpost hand, then Donate happens after the turn and you end up with 5 cards because of Donate.

SirDagen

Wow, that's good to know!
Greetings,
SirDagen

jeebus

You could also do Outpost's turn first, right? Then you draw 3 cards, do the Outpost turn, then Donate.

Stef

Quote from: jeebus on 12 August 2017, 08:43:52 PM
You could also do Outpost's turn first, right? Then you draw 3 cards, do the Outpost turn, then Donate.

no Donate isn't creating some special kind of turn, it's an effect that happens between turns. So it always happens before the outpost turn.

jeebus

Quote from: Stef on 12 August 2017, 09:07:51 PM

no Donate isn't creating some special kind of turn, it's an effect that happens between turns. So it always happens before the outpost turn.
Donate (draw cards and trash) happens after this turn. Outpost (extra turn) happens after this turn. Is there something special about extra turns as opposed to other effects?

Stef

Quote from: jeebus on 13 August 2017, 07:03:44 PM

Donate (draw cards and trash) happens after this turn. Outpost (extra turn) happens after this turn. Is there something special about extra turns as opposed to other effects?

Indeed there is. Between turn effects just go first, only after they're done we go to the next turn (which could be an extra turn or a regular turn).

I'm not saying your interpretation is inherently wrong or internally inconsistent or anything; Dominion could have worked that way too. But it does not.

Donald X.

Quote from: Stef on 13 August 2017, 10:38:05 PM
Quote from: jeebus on 13 August 2017, 07:03:44 PM

Indeed there is. Between turn effects just go first, only after they're done we go to the next turn (which could be an extra turn or a regular turn).

I'm not saying your interpretation is inherently wrong or internally inconsistent or anything; Dominion could have worked that way too. But it does not.
Correct; it's a ruling.

jeebus

I see. I think this is the first time this ruling has been made public then (unless I missed it somewhere recently).

I don't see that this was a question according to published rules: You should be able to choose the order (since they happen at the same time - after this turn). So this ruling creates a special rule for extra turns - that they are always last. In effect it actually means there are now two distinct times after this turn: First you can order Donate and Mountain pass, then you can order extra turns.

Donald X.

Quote from: jeebus on 14 August 2017, 06:30:12 PM
I see. I think this is the first time this ruling has been made public then (unless I missed it somewhere recently).

I don't see that this was a question according to published rules: You should be able to choose the order (since they happen at the same time - after this turn). So this ruling creates a special rule for extra turns - that they are always last. In effect it actually means there are now two distinct times after this turn: First you can order Donate and Mountain pass, then you can order extra turns.
It may not have been public; Stef has privately asked me some rules questions.

I see that the cards do not spell this out, and would leave it as, pick the order. It seems super weird to me though if another turn can happen before you resolve Donate / Mountain Pass.