The biggest feature missing from Dominion

Previous topic - Next topic

Skumpy

Let me begin by saying: I personally have been very content with the new client and the work the devs have been doing, so thank you guys so much. Yes, there are small things here and there, but not enough to drastically impact my experience.

Honestly, my biggest issue has been that I feel there's a disconnect between the developers and the users. Outside of occasional Release updates, we haven't been given a whole lot of information. My favorite post on this forum (I think it's been taken down, but I could be wrong) was when somebody made a mock weekly-update. I thought that was a great idea - the masses will be calmed if we're being informed of what the priorities are and when we can expect them by. Personally, I'd even prefer an absolute lie to complete silence.

But every day, somebody's posting a new issue somewhere on the forum, and more often than not, they're valid points. And while I have no doubt that they're being read and being noted, we just don't know what the devs are most focused on until it's released. It could be that they're focused on making the app when the Game Creator comes along 7 months after release and lays down the hammer with a topic entitled "There is no AI", and completely throws a wrench in the works.

I made this overly-lengthy poll to address most, if not all, of the complaints people have had either recently or with great frequency over the last 6 months. Instead of everybody repeating the same issues, I'm hoping we can see what areas have the highest demand for improvement. There was a topic in April for people to state their 3 biggest feature requests, which ended up creating a lot of diverse ideas, and in my eyes anyways, didn't seem to accomplish that much. I'm thinking (or hoping at any rate) that this will work a little better (remember to be logged-in to vote/view it)

Again, I give my thanks to the developers. I'm very grateful that they have devoted the last year of their lives to doing their best to give us the best experience possible (and even though I would like to see more communication, it's certainly more than Making Fun did). At the end of day, everybody needs to remember that it's ultimately ShuffleIt's decision what to do next. If everybody votes for one thing, the devs have every right to focus on something else. Beggars can't be choosers (except when deciding if the 2 silvers are worth it or not).

kingdedede

In-game Clarity (Card movement, sound effects, reducing log dependency), by far.

I hate having to look at the log to see what was trashed with Swindler, what someone trashes when they trash cards, what they reveal with Courtier, what cards I skip over when playing Golem and Hunting Party, etc. It's the only reason I haven't bought the expansions yet.

dane

Quote from: kingdedede on 26 July 2017, 05:42:35 AM
In-game Clarity (Card movement, sound effects, reducing log dependency), by far.

I hate having to look at the log to see what was trashed with Swindler, what someone trashes when they trash cards, what they reveal with Courtier, what cards I skip over when playing Golem and Hunting Party, etc. It's the only reason I haven't bought the expansions yet.
Merely to document the fact that some players have different views on this, I'll mention that I find that the 'live action' distracts me from paying attention to the log, which is what I find more useful for following the game.  This matches my approach in a ftf game: I don't watch what the other players are doing, I listen to what they say they are doing.

I suppose the bottom line is that in an ideal world both the live action and the log would be improved so that players could choose just one to follow.

Ingix

Just to be sure: You do have the option "Wait for card animations:" set to 'yes' in your client?

AdamH

Quote from: Ingix on 26 July 2017, 04:05:35 PM

Just to be sure: You do have the option "Wait for card animations:" set to 'yes' in your client?

I mean, all this option does is make the animations for opponents playing their treasures take forever, since they always appear to be played one at a time.

What would be useful is to have some indication of actions/buys/coins available at the beginning of every buy phase on opponents' turns, and have every card gained on opponents' dance in front of the user. This would get you 90% of the way there. 9 of the reamining 10% could be achieved by having an indication of duration attacks in play for each opponent, which is visible without hovering over their names (which is something that you pretty much never do on your own turns).

McFly

It would be so swell if the game took me to the Matching screen instead of to the New Table screen after a game. Also, Sauna desperately needs a "No to all these Silvers" button.

Jacob Marley

+1 for going to matching instead of new tables, provided that the game started from auto match.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: Jacob Marley on 31 August 2017, 07:37:55 PM
+1 for going to matching instead of new tables, provided that the game started from auto match.

I'm in favor of this as well, since I nearly always leave the table and go back to auto match. I don't like giving people the impression that I'm leaving the table because I don't want to play with them anymore.

The only problem I see with this is it takes away the opportunity for post-match niceties. While I'm not big on pre-match niceties, I like to say "gg" or "thanks for the game" or "gg, wp!" or whatever after the game. If you go immediately back to auto match, any such statements would need to be made prior to game end, which is problematic in many situations.

Jacob Marley

I was assuming that the OP meant that after you chose to leave the end game screen, you go back to auto match.

I like to stay on the end screen for a bit to look at results, chat, etc, but when I'm ready to leave I want to go to auto match. 

If you started the game from the create table tab, you should go back there when you leave the end game screen, and when you start from auto match, you should go back to auto match.

McFly

Quote from: Jacob Marley on 31 August 2017, 10:38:09 PM
I was assuming that the OP meant that after you chose to leave the end game screen, you go back to auto match.

This is what I meant.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: McFly on 01 September 2017, 07:31:16 PM
Quote from: Jacob Marley on 31 August 2017, 10:38:09 PM

This is what I meant.

Oh, sorry. I think that's what it does for me, currently. Hence my confusion.

faust

I chose "retrieving logs" even though the thing that's written in brackets (Can't load an old game if no expansions are owned) is not what I mean. I think all logs should be available stored somewhere without the need to reload the game, and ideally have a playback mode.

Ingix

Playback mode would be nice, as mentioned a few times already.

The AFAIK reason that game load requires you to 'own' all the relevant cards is that you can certainly load a game at decision 0, which means after the initial shuffle and your initial hands are drawn. Thus you could play any previosuly played Kingdom.

Megas_Droungarios

The Other I voted for is a criterion for "deep enough in" for three player games that lets a player resign and the game finish with a bot, but remain rated.

I'm suggesting 10 turns complete or a pile gone or only 6 provinces (or colonies) remaining.  The site owners and programmers might want something else if they think that's either too lax or too hard to program.

Puk

More human-readable explanation of all options (especially the autoplay options but also the regular options)
For example, "use autobuy" wasn't clear to me at all what it would do

Especially with the autoplay options there should be more explanation, (for example when you hover over it it explains it better "If you turn this on, Moat will always reveal when an opponent plays an attack card.)

Also, make automatically choosing a card when there's only one option optional. For me, it doesn't save time, most of the time i spend more time on being confused about what just happened then the time i would normally spend on just clicking the card.