Undoing

Previous topic - Next topic

gitsticker8

My thoughts on undo:

1) I like it as a feature.  Misclicks happen.

2) Each request is just that, a request. You are at the whim of the other player if you are asking for an undo.  You had 5 minutes to plan out each action, it's your fault that you misplayed.  May your opponent have mercy on your soul!  I don't think I have ever denied an undo, but if someone denied me one I wouldn't blame them, I'd blame myself.

tracer

The main thing undo denying is good for is identifying people you never want to play Dominion with again.

I think it has already been stated that undoes to decisions from which no new information has been gained will at some point be automatic, which will be a good step forward even if it irritates some of the people I never want to play Dominion with again.

Also, taking away people's fun by enforcing their concentration and counting errors when you have full ability to rectify them is absolutely something that you are at fault for.

gitsticker8

Just to clarify, you're saying the person denying an undo is at fault for taking away their opponent's fun?  I don't follow that logic.  In the event that an undo is denied, %100 of the fault and responsibility lies on the person requesting the undo and they frankly need to suck it up.  I agree with your first point that making some undo's automatic would be great as long as new info hasn't been revealed (and as long as it doesn't reset the 5 minute per action timer).

dane

Quote from: tracer on 06 July 2017, 08:24:47 PM
I think it has already been stated that undoes to decisions from which no new information has been gained will at some point be automatic,
I certainly recall having read that too.  No doubt implementing it in the general case would be quite time-consuming because of the need to evaluate correctly whether new information has been gained.  There are, however, some simple cases where it could be implemented very quickly and probably should be, simply because it's an undo of something that the opponent doesn't even know has happened.  Consider the following scenario that happened to me yesterday:

• I played an Action that drew a card and gave me an action point.
  • I clicked on 'End Actions'.
  • I realised that I'd meant to play another Action card first.
  • I clicked on 'Undo'.
  • The undo request was denied.
A first I was surprised that my opponent had denied the undo request, but I almost immediately realised that to him it seemed that I was trying to undo the play of the Action that drew a card: there would have been nothing in his log to indicate that I had chosen to end my Action phase and that it was that that I was wanting to undo.

I could, I suppose, have tried explaining the nature of the undo request via chat, but I had no idea whether my opponent spoke English, so I just accepted the consequences of my carelessness and got on with the game.