Signups Q&A

Previous topic - Next topic

drsteelhammer

This thread is for question regarding the signups, rules or anything else on your mind. Please ask them here instead of the Signups thread.

Basic info:

Signups are open until September 11th, the tournament starts September 18th.

Your commitment to the tournament is one match containing up to seven games per week until you are eliminated (single elimination).

Your skill level/forum activity is irrelevant, everybody may signup. Please make sure you're active during the tournament though. If you signed in and something comes up, please edit your post in the signup thread.

Also, check out the rules for further information.

fleetsinsea

Does the tournament start on September 11th or September 18th? The rules and the signups Q&A thread give conflicting information.

drsteelhammer

Quote from: fleetsinsea on 10 August 2017, 10:25:07 PM
Does the tournament start on September 11th or September 18th? The rules and the signups Q&A thread give conflicting information.

Sorry about that, the latter date is correct (September 18th)

fleetsinsea

For tournament games, I believe players ought to start off with an identical starting hand (3 coppers and 2 estates for their first 5 card draw). In certain games, starting off with 5 coppers in Turn 1 or Turn 2 is too strong. I won't bore you with examples. I'm sure other users can do that, if they so desire.

Is there any way to do this? Could the coding be changed for rated games?

Jacob Marley

Quote from: fleetsinsea on 10 August 2017, 10:36:22 PM
For tournament games, I believe players ought to start off with an identical starting hand (3 coppers and 2 estates for their first 5 card draw). In certain games, starting off with 5 coppers in Turn 1 or Turn 2 is too strong. I won't bore you with examples. I'm sure other users can do that, if they so desire.

Donald X has spoken out decisively against this proposal.  Sure in some boards this is a decisive advantage.  In others, it is actually a disadvantage.  Those are the breaks.  This is also why you play 6 games.  That way one bad starting split doesn't knock you out.

drsteelhammer

Quote from: fleetsinsea on 10 August 2017, 10:36:22 PM

I understand the frustration about the annoying cases where the game feels already lost on Turn 1, but identical starting hands only postpone this problem to the next shuffle (Now your cards might be bottomdecked while your opponents are not). So we don't use identical starting hands for the online tournaments even if we could.

There are always aspects of luck in the game, we just hope that more often than not the better player will come out on top after 6 (or 7) games!

Cave-O-Sapien

I understand the definition of a "match" to mean that we are not required to play all the required games in one sitting. We could, for example, play one game/day over the course of the week.

Is that correct?

drsteelhammer

Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 10 August 2017, 11:57:30 PM
I understand the definition of a "match" to mean that we are not required to play all the required games in one sitting. We could, for example, play one game/day over the course of the week.

Is that correct?

You're right, you're free to do that if both your schedules allow it. I recommend to being ready to play atleast half of your games in one sitting, though.

biggblackglock

I'm confused regarding the gold membership. I've played hundreds of games with all expansions enabled--does that suffice? I'm usually on a tablet so this gold membership thing might not have been very visible for me? Idk

jsh

A Gold membership means you have access to all expansions, including Empires. (Nocturne, which hasn't been released yet, will not count for the tournament)

drsteelhammer

Quote from: biggblackglock on 11 August 2017, 01:57:00 AM
I'm confused regarding the gold membership. I've played hundreds of games with all expansions enabled--does that suffice? I'm usually on a tablet so this gold membership thing might not have been very visible for me? Idk

gold membership means being subscribed to all the cards, that costs about 3,5€ a month. You can check out in the store tab to what you're currently being subscribed to.

The requirement for this tournament is to be a Subscriber for two months, from September 15th to November 15th.

napoleon

Hi! I just left a message saying I'd like to signup on the sign up thread but I'm not exactly sure how you would link this account to my dominion account? I'm not sure if I had an account automatically on this site if I had a dominion account but i registered the same email.

Just wanna make sure I'm actually signed up for this! I just bought a gold membership so I don't want to be mistakenly left out!

jsh

Quote from: napoleon on 11 August 2017, 09:28:19 PM
Hi! I just left a message saying I'd like to signup on the sign up thread but I'm not exactly sure how you would link this account to my dominion account? I'm not sure if I had an account automatically on this site if I had a dominion account but i registered the same email.

Just wanna make sure I'm actually signed up for this! I just bought a gold membership so I don't want to be mistakenly left out!

If your username here is the same as on Dominion Online, you are fine. Otherwise, go edit your post to include your username that you play with.

DG

There are a few people around like myself who have been involved as Nocturne play testers, and some other people might think that is an unfair advantage. How should that be handled? Should we play kingdoms without Nocturne if anyone is concerned?