Dominion: Nocturne

Previous topic - Next topic

horusboyd

Oh thanks, I totally didn't see that  ::)

jeebus

Man, I've never experienced more resigns than playing Nocturne unrated. I still haven't been able to play a single game to completion. And nobody says a single word, just quits, or (just once, I believe) disconnects. I get that you're losing, but It would still be nice to be able to play the endgame with these cards. That seems to not be...in the cards.

Bbl

Quote from: jeebus on 24 October 2017, 07:46:50 PM
Man, I've never experienced more resigns than playing Nocturne unrated. I still haven't been able to play a single game to completion. And nobody says a single word, just quits, or (just once, I believe) disconnects. I get that you're losing, but It would still be nice to be able to play the endgame with these cards. That seems to not be...in the cards.

In my opinion, this is related to the fact that you cannot play the new cards against bots. There are a lot of people who just want to check out the new cards and they are now forced to player Multiplayer matches. Depending on their device it is also not easy to use the chat (i.e. if you're playing on mobile or a tablet)

JW

Quote from: Bbl on 24 October 2017, 08:50:18 PM
In my opinion, this is related to the fact that you cannot play the new cards against bots. There are a lot of people who just want to check out the new cards and they are now forced to player Multiplayer matches. Depending on their device it is also not easy to use the chat (i.e. if you're playing on mobile or a tablet)

You can play the Nocturne preview cards against bots. Create a table, select "Nocturne preview," and add a bot.

santamonica811

[Cross-posted in the "How to Play" section]

Right now, it's a complicated series of steps to play a bot game that includes the Nocturne cards.

What I am doing:
1.  At matching page, click on "Nocturne Preview," to select this option.  Then click on bot game.  Game will start with Lord Rat, of course.  But no Nocturne cards are ever included at this point.
2.  Immediately resign.
3.  Resignation takes you to the start page (ie, if you hit Ready, you'll start a new game with Lord Rat.)  On this page, on the left side, is the message: "Nocturne Preview: False"
4.  Click on "Edit Table"
5.  At new page; click on "Advanced Options"
6.  Again click on Nocturne Preview, to select it.
7.  Click on "Ready"

This takes you to a bot game, and there now will be Nocturne cards.  But there really should be an easier way, right??   :(

Bbl

Quote from: JW on 24 October 2017, 08:51:28 PM
Quote from: Bbl on 24 October 2017, 08:50:18 PM

You can play the Nocturne preview cards against bots. Create a table, select "Nocturne preview," and add a bot.

*facepalm* I was checking Advanced options for the automatch, and in the tables tab I checked in the kingdom selection... ::)

Thanks for pointing this out!

markus

Note that you can always finish vs a bot, if your opponent resigns. (Just leaving the table is bad of course - if you don't want to wait until time-out, you could load the game and continue vs bot.)

Renarr

Is this intended or a bug?

I played a sample game today that included Vassal and Faithful Hound.  It also included Imp, which I don't believe had any impact on this particular aspect of gameplay.

So I played an Imp, drawing my two cards.  I then got to play an action of my choice, so I chose a Vassal.  The Vassal turned up a Faithful Hound, which was discarded.  I chose to set the Faithful Hound aside, which the game executed, but the game still offered me the option to play the Faithful Hound.  So I tried it, and Faithful Hound played.  At the end of my turn, Faithful Hound also entered my hand, giving me a six-card hand to start the subsequent turn.

I suspect this behavior is flawed, or at least not intuitive.  I would think that if I set aside the Faithful Hound card on its effect, then when Vassal went to look for Faithful Hound in the discard pile, then it wouldn't be there, and I would be unable to play it.  And if for some reason the Vassal could find the Faithful Hound to play it, then the card would no longer be set aside, thus making it unavailable to join the subsequent hand.

But I tend to get royally confused with these "lose track" issues, so perhaps I've misunderstood how this works.

Clarification?

markus

This is correct behaviour. Vassal can't move Faithful Hound into the play area after it was set aside (lose-track). But it can still execute its play instructions.

For example if you play Throne Room - Ratcatcher, Ratcatcher goes to the tavern mat when it's played the first time and then still gets played again.

jeebus

This behaviour started back in the base game in 2008. Throne Room + Feast, trash Feast, you can still play Feast one more time, you just can't put it in play.

Stef

Nocturne will go live on Thursday 16th around 10:00 UTC.
That should be the same day physical stores start selling it.