Disable Undo for the game

Previous topic - Next topic

kaliopa

Hi,

I don't like Undo option very much. When playing Dominion in real life with cards it never happened someone asked to go back some step. Everybody are just aware that they should play carefully and not make hasty moves. I understand that sometimes misclick happens because it happens to me as well, but in general people just don't pay attention. Anyway, that is my opinion and I don't ask for Undo nor I ever did, but also don't want to grant it and when I don't people get mad and become rude. I don't want to explain to everybody at the beginning of the game that I'm not going to grant them Undo, so it would be nice to have an option for every player to click on a button that would disable Undo request for the game. In one of the announcements even not granting Undos was characterized as "unfriendly". I don't think it was necessary to label somebody's opinion like this.

Best regards,

Jelena

dane

Quote from: kaliopa on 07 August 2017, 09:06:21 PM
I don't like Undo option very much. When playing Dominion in real life with cards it never happened someone asked to go back some step. Everybody are just aware that they should play carefully and not make hasty moves.
My experience is completely the opposite.  In real life we attempt to play briskly and accept that from time to time someone will back out a move that hasn't caused any information to be revealed.  We prefer that to having slower games in which no one makes any mistakes because they spend an eternity planning each move.

WhiteRabbit1981

Just dont accept undos. Some players (me) will blacklist you for it, but thats not bad as you anyhow dont want to play with ppl who use the undo option alot.

Just my two cents: In real life, everyone knows the intended play. For example, if I happily throw my hand consisting of a bank and four coppers on the table an scream "That province is MINE!!!", noone will ever try to lecture me that I only have a buying power of 5.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: WhiteRabbit1981 on 08 August 2017, 09:26:20 PM
Just dont accept undos. Some players (me) will blacklist you for it, but thats not bad as you anyhow dont want to play with ppl who use the undo option alot.

Just my two cents: In real life, everyone knows the intended play. For example, if I happily throw my hand consisting of a bank and four coppers on the table an scream "That province is MINE!!!", noone will ever try to lecture me that I only have a buying power of 5.

"I'm sorry, the Bank hit the table first. Rules are rules."

Emeric

Quote from: WhiteRabbit1981 on 08 August 2017, 09:26:20 PM

Why do you show 4 coppers and not only 3 ?

Beyond Awesome

Quote from: kaliopa on 07 August 2017, 09:06:21 PM
Hi,

I don't like Undo option very much. When playing Dominion in real life with cards it never happened someone asked to go back some step. Everybody are just aware that they should play carefully and not make hasty moves. I understand that sometimes misclick happens because it happens to me as well, but in general people just don't pay attention. Anyway, that is my opinion and I don't ask for Undo nor I ever did, but also don't want to grant it and when I don't people get mad and become rude. I don't want to explain to everybody at the beginning of the game that I'm not going to grant them Undo, so it would be nice to have an option for every player to click on a button that would disable Undo request for the game. In one of the announcements even not granting Undos was characterized as "unfriendly". I don't think it was necessary to label somebody's opinion like this.

Best regards,

Jelena

Dear Jelena,

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you in a couple of instances, and I will tell you what they are. 1st, if I play Crown, I sometimes do so forgetting to end my action phase. I feel this is a very easy mistake, and I assure you the mistake is not made because I am playing too fast. The 2nd reason is Enchantress. I actually had this come up. I read the log, saw my opponent played Enchantress and went ahead and played a terminal card. It ends up that the Enchantress they played was in response to my Enchantress. I misread the log. I did not play fast. In that instance, my opponent refused me the undo. I personally felt that was very, very, very unsportsmanshiplike because it was obvious what happened.

Yes, mistakes happen because people play too fast, but there are legit mistakes as well, and I think outright refusing undos in the two circumstances I mentioned above are rude. But, that's how I feel.

Also, for the record, irl, you would never tell someone they couldn't play Crown because they failed to announce the end of their action phase, and irl you can see if Enchantress is in play.

Jacob Marley

My most frequent mistake is that I will buy a debt card without having played my treasures first then cannot pay off the debt.  This is because I play with auto buy on, which automatically plays the treasures I need to buy the card I click.  In my mind, I need all my treasures to pay debt after I click the debt card I want to buy, forgetting the that computer cannot read my mind, and there are legitimate reasons to have unpaid debt so it doesn't play my treasures.  In a FTF game, this would not happen.

Ingix

It's unfortunate that the legetimate reasons are AFAIK mostly tied to Possession and probably a few cases of Haunted Woods. That means for the vast majority of cases where paying off the debt now makes absolute sense the game can't do it.

markus

If I could choose the default for autobuy, I'd play all (basic) treasures when you click on a debt card and when you have more than 1 buy.

Jacob Marley

Overpay is another area where there could be misclicks with autobuy.

markus

Yes, add that to the list of how I would change autobuy. (Kind of wrong topic but whatever  ;) )

dextrapucnh

To me this is a big problem.
If there is a misclick (can't happen in real life) undo should be an option.
If, otherwise, like it happens often, an user has a second thought, that shouldn't bet allowed.

irata

Yes!  I would like an option to disable undo.  (or remove it completely.)  I'm tired of people giving me
attitude because I will not grant an undo.  I'm not even sure why the undo was added in the first place. 
No other version of online Dominion has had it or needed it. 

Also equal starting hands and alternating who goes first would be awesome.  Thanks!

Malta

I find it's very easy to misclick and take the wrong card, something that doesn't happen that much in real life. Same with cards from the tavern mat. You wouldn't forget about them nearly as often if you had them in front of you. Online, it's somewhat hidden, so if you play reasonably fast, it's easy to make mistakes in relation to that. So I love the undo, although I recognize some people probably use it too much.
If it isn't too complicated, perhaps the developers could give you the option to participate in no-undo games if you so desire, but they should be clearly marked as such.

scottshauf

I wish it was simply a rule: If no new information has been revealed, an undo is allowed; otherwise it is not. No asking the other play for permission, and no denying it. I hate it when people ask for an undo after I've already started playing cards (especially if they then get mad when I deny it), and on the other hand it's annoying for people to deny undo requests in easy-mistake kind of situations.