Rules Discussions

Previous topic - Next topic

yed

Can we play the second round this week?

I will be out of country with limited internet next week, so I would prefer playing the match early.

Deadlock39

Quote from: yed on 20 September 2017, 06:47:08 PM
Can we play the second round this week?

I will be out of country with limited internet next week, so I would prefer playing the match early.

In order to keep things organized, we would prefer matches are not played early for organizational reasons, but if you have a need to do this, and your opponent is known, you can reach out to them to begin discussing your match schedule. If it is necessary to play your match early to complete it on time, you can let the moderating team know when you plan to play and report your results directly to us so that we can properly record the match when the round two matchups are officially posted.

sty_silver

I have another rules... not so much a question as a thinig to think about.

Let's suppose you agree to allow undos for every choice that does not provide new information, as encouraged in the rules.

If I play a complicated KC hand now, I'll probably always start by playing a bunch of cards that do not draw. The less stuff is left on my hand, the less complex my remaining decisions are. No harm, you can always undo. Similarly with hands that remodel a lot. Just start remodeling, and you'll have an easier time seeing what you want to do.

This might be okay (in fact I think I'd like that, though I'm not sure). But it's probably not what some people have in mind when they agree to allow undo-without-information. Is this behavior intended? If not maybe you should add a step restriction (I know you just encourage behavior, but still). Also what about if your turn ended?

Independent, a rules question: are you allowed to agree to ignore cards with your opponent, or is this considered poor sportsmanship? Stef and I did it once in the dominion league.

Deadlock39

I think playing a large chain of cards that don't draw to gain information potentially about something like if it is possible for you to empty piles with a chain of remodels is a bit outside the scope of "no information". If you are playing non-drawing actions in a King's Court chain first, that just seems like sub-optimal play to me, but if all you gained were coins actions and buys, and perhaps miscounted something, I would probably allow an undo even if it was several steps. It's a bit of a subjective area.

I certainly hope that no one attempts to abuse a "allow all undo's that don't provide new information" agreement for something like the first example. If the situation occurs, and your opponent feels you are breaking an agreement by denying it, you would need to contact your moderator who can make the judgement call. In the case of any dispute, you can save the game number, and have one player resign with the intent of resuming the match later as described in the rules for handling disconnects. You should also complete the remainder of your 6 games to attempt determining a winner without the disputed game.

If your turn ends, it is a bit harder to undo, but I would still encourage making it happen if your opponent accidentally clicked Duchy instead of Province.

Agreeing to ignore (preferably exclude) cards is fine, and is explicitly mentioned in the rules (7.2).

sty_silver

Yeah, the KC thing was a bad example.

sty_silver

Quote from: Deadlock39 on 21 September 2017, 07:39:12 PMAgreeing to ignore (preferably exclude) cards is fine, and is explicitly mentioned in the rules (7.2).
It's not quite the same, you might only wish to ignore a card after you see the board.

Deadlock39

Quote from: sty_silver on 21 September 2017, 09:16:08 PM
Quote from: Deadlock39 on 21 September 2017, 07:39:12 PMAgreeing to ignore (preferably exclude) cards is fine, and is explicitly mentioned in the rules (7.2).
It's not quite the same, you might only wish to ignore a card after you see the board.

Sure, I don't consider this significantly different from excluding a card. Excluding is a better option to take because then you don't have to make verbal agreements at the beginning of a match, but it is still fine within the rules as written in my opinion.