Version 1.2.13 - The log at the end of the game

Previous topic - Next topic

Emeric

It's nice to see the deck in the log tab at the end of the game but why erase all the log ?
I think you could let the entire log and just add deck contain at the end or create tab like during the game with Trash.
Or, better, you have to give an easy way to find the log of a game when it is finsished. May be by give a tab in the main lobby with "My Games" where I can found all my games and review them.

Stef

I agree that it would be better to have both, and it also could/should be easier to access previous games, or that at least it would be very nice to have all that.

The reason for removing the log from end of game now is a bit technical; the information on the end-of-game screen was a mix between information from the gameserver and information from the metaserver. Now that you're only connected to one, it was easier to present information from only the metaserver. Off course that could be solved by sending the gamelog from game->meta->client, and it will probably work that way in some future release.

jeebus

Thanks for finally fixing this!

Of course as has been noted the log is really important too, but as the log had errors and missing info anyway, for now it's better to have the deck contents instead.

jeebus

I just assumed that the problem of not being able to see what your opponent did on their last turn, was fixed now. Otherwise I wouldn't think that the log would be removed. But I see that it's not the case. So now there is actually parts of the game missing. I just had a game where I didn't actually get to experience the end of the game. Please reinstate the way it was. You obviously can't remove the end-screen log until it's actually not needed to catch the game. I can't believe there isn't an outcry over this. For people who pay to play the game, they are now not getting what they paid for.

Ingix

The end-screen-log wasn't removed on a whim. It was a consequence of a technical change (see Stef's post above) that was meant to cure lots of disconnection issues.

That there is no outcry over this is probaby because that feature is not a make-or-break feature for many players. It was a nice thing to have. The current end-of-game screen containing the deck contents of both players is also nice-to-have. I (and others) asked for it for a long time, inspired by the same feature on Making Fun.

Of course it would have been nice if both things were present, and hopefully that will be true at some point in the future. For now, you can reload the game and look at the game log then. You may need to impersonate the player on whose turn the game ended, IIRC.

jeebus

Yes, deck contents is nice to have.
Yes, end-screen log is nice to have.

Being able to know what happens on your opponent's last turn is not nice to have, it's an essential part of the game. Because of a flaw in the implementation where this is not shown, we need the end-screen log as an inferior substitute. Now even that substitute is gone. That's the serious part. And Stef doesn't even bother to reply to this thread saying when this will be fixed.

Donald X.

Quote from: jeebus on 26 August 2017, 01:29:14 AM

Being able to know what happens on your opponent's last turn is not nice to have, it's an essential part of the game. Because of a flaw in the implementation where this is not shown, we need the end-screen log as an inferior substitute. Now even that substitute is gone. That's the serious part. And Stef doesn't even bother to reply to this thread saying when this will be fixed.
I think it's reasonable to want this fixed, and unreasonable to get hysterical about it.

I am replying though to say that any time Stef spends reading the forums or reassuring people with posts is time not spent actually working on the program. In fact I propose that Stef only check in on the forums once a week, and only post announcements. Any emergency will I'm sure be communicated to him one way or another.

AdamH

Quote from: Donald X. on 26 August 2017, 05:05:30 AM
Quote from: jeebus on 26 August 2017, 01:29:14 AM

I think it's reasonable to want this fixed, and unreasonable to get hysterical about it.

I am replying though to say that any time Stef spends reading the forums or reassuring people with posts is time not spent actually working on the program. In fact I propose that Stef only check in on the forums once a week, and only post announcements. Any emergency will I'm sure be communicated to him one way or another.

This seems like a good idea as long as there is someone actually taking feedback from people reporting bugs and stuff. As it currently stands, it doesn't seem like that is happening anyways.

Donald X.

Quote from: AdamH on 26 August 2017, 08:11:51 PM
This seems like a good idea as long as there is someone actually taking feedback from people reporting bugs and stuff. As it currently stands, it doesn't seem like that is happening anyways.
I don't know how thorough the coverage is, but there are volunteers doing stuff. For example you will frequently see Ingix replying to a bug report, having tried to verify it.

jeebus

So just so I have this clear: If I lose a game, there is now (still) no way for me to see what my opponent did as his last action on his last turn, right? I can reload the game, but since I lost, I will still not see it; the game will end without showing it to me. I can choose an earlier decision number, but then of course I will not see it either. The only way is to ask in the chat and hope they tell me before they leave.

markus

You can load it to the last action of the opponent and play it yourself from there. Usually you should be able to figure out what they clicked (especially in combination with the end-of-game decks).

Ingix

You should be able to load the game, right at the end, *as your opponent*. Maybe it's necessary to load the second to last decision number, sometimes it seems the game 'forgets' the last action when saving.