Contraband Cannot Name Cards From Black Market Deck

Previous topic - Next topic

engineeringdude

Today In game #6288168, my opponent, SamE, played a contraband after playing Black Market. I was surprised to see that I could not name a card in the Black Market Deck. Either I am blind and couldn't see the text entry box that normally pops up with cards that allow you to name a card, or that box never appeared. If I had to take a guess as to what is causing it, it would be that the code treats contraband differently than cards such as mystic and doctor because it is your opponent that names the card and not you.

dane

Quote from: engineeringdude on 25 August 2017, 10:48:12 PM
If I had to take a guess as to what is causing it, it would be that the code treats contraband differently than cards such as mystic and doctor because it is your opponent that names the card and not you.
I think that's a fair guess.  I'd go further.  I would guess that when Contraband was coded, the assumption was made that it must be possible to click on a pile to name the card whose purchase was to be banned, but that assumption overlooked that with Black Market the card to be purchased is not coming from a pile.

Ingix

Unfortuntely, on reload the game mentioned seems to have only 5 turns on reload, with no Contraband bought, so I had to try to recreate the situation.

In a few cases of Black Market + Contraband the 'name-a-card' entry box appeared, in a few cases it didn't and once it didn't appear when I had just played Contraband, no Black Market involved. What I think happened is that the entry box appeared, but behind the supply cards.

Take a look at the picture I've appended. Both parts show the same situation, a Contraband played by opponent (no Black Market involved). The only difference is that I adjusted the size of the browser window. When I changed the size of the browser window slowly I could see the entry box gradually vanish behind the supply cards. I marked the place where one can see a little bit of it between Harvest and Grand Market in the lower picture, but I doubt I would have noticed it if I hadn't seen the gradual change.

When Black Market is played, both players see the 3 revealed cards, which changes the 'available screen real estate'. That might be a reason why the problem isn't usually noticed for Contraband, which is normally played in the buy phase.