Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Friends-only tables?  (Read 3310 times)

Offline Highwayman27

• View Profile
Re: Friends-only tables?
« Reply #15 on: 09 May 2020, 11:25:02 PM »
Thanks for your commentary and the insight into what you do and why.

But if you just want to play with random strangers at a given point in time, why don't you use the automatch function that has been provided just for that purpose?
Good question, initially the answer was because I didn't know what the automatch function was. I've now done a bit with the autoplay function but I seem to have better games from finding a table, not sure why that is. I also find sometimes when I go through tables people have sets of cards that they've put together that play well together rather than the crapshoot that is random kingdoms. The other issue with autoplay is it only allows for 2 or 3 player games and I like to be able to play with a higher player count.

Offline myourshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2020, 12:00:07 AM »
Yet another vote for a "friends-only" table option. This should be a high priority. Lack of this feature is by far the most annoying weakness of the site. As others have pointed out, social isolation due to COVID-19 has moved many groups of friendly game players to online platforms. We should have an easy and obvious choice of playing only with our own group or inviting others.

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2020, 07:02:51 AM »
Here's an alternate approach. I think maybe on the New Table tab it could have a new third option:
New Public Table
New Private Table
Load Old Game

So making a table split into two. Making a public table the same as now. Making a private table asks you to set a password that anyone entering the table needs to supply to join. Then you tell your friends the password. The table is listed on the tables screen with a padlock icon.

This is how the Worms game series did it in Worms Armageddon and Worms World Party and it was very effective, although it also had a public IRC chat channel in the lobby ingame so people could talk to each other and organise games. This was back in the days of before automatch features when organising was the only option.