Bug Possibly Allows Cheating

Previous topic - Next topic

freact

I have stumbled across what I think is a bug that in some circumstances allows a player access to information they should not otherwise have. I'm having troubles reproducing it though. Especially with the big online championships coming up this is very concerning to me. I'm hesitant to state exactly what the bug is on a public forum in case someone smarter than me can exploit it (Although it seems quite simple to me!). What should I do?

jsh

Quote from: freact on 09 September 2017, 09:44:23 PM
I have stumbled across what I think is a bug that in some circumstances allows a player access to information they should not otherwise have. I'm having troubles reproducing it though. Especially with the big online championships coming up this is very concerning to me. I'm hesitant to state exactly what the bug is on a public forum in case someone smarter than me can exploit it (Although it seems quite simple to me!). What should I do?

Send a private message to Stef (admin of the forum) and explain the bug you think you have found.

Stef

It doesn't seem like a bug to me.

Sometimes the client has a bit more info then it presents to the user, but that is inherent due to the nature of the game. Dominion has some rules stating you aren't allowed to see things but if you had perfect memory you could know them (e.g. your own discard pile). The client also always has a model of your opponents hand, even though in most cases it will consist of only "backs" and/or old information.

We've been quite careful at restricting the information flow from server->client, and so far I'm not aware of any mistakes. (except for Inn which currently doesn't give enough information).