Battlefield-Points from Masquerade gained victory card

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSeal

I am sure in previous games when my opponent gave me an estate I would gain points from Battlefield. The card involved in that game was the Swindler. In the game I just played Battlefield was again available. My opponent gave me an estate using Masquerade. I expected to receive 2VPs from the Battlefield, but did not.

According to the rule book, "Battlefield - (Landmark) You take the VP whether you bought the Victory card or gained it another way."

It seems I should have gotten the points from a Masaquerade gained estate. Why didn't I?

Game is #6511259 on frankfurt.

Thanks,
Chris

E.Honda

You do not gain an estate given to you by masquerade, thats why you don't receive any battlefield vp from it. With swindler it works because you really gain the swindled card.

TheSeal

I should be clearer. Expecting to receive the 2VPs, when my opponent played the Masquerade, I gave him a copper. I went from having three estates to four. To me that is gaining a victory card.

drsteelhammer

Quote from: TheSeal on 02 September 2017, 09:57:00 PM
I should be clearer. Expecting to receive the 2VPs, when my opponent played the Masquerade, I gave him a copper. I went from having three estates to four. To me that is gaining a victory card.

But it isn't according to the Dominion rules:

"Masquerade's mechanism for changing card ownership is unique in the game, since it uses the word "pass" to indicate a change of card ownership. The consequence of this wording is that the player receiving a passed card is not "gaining" it. So, for example, they cannot react to the card passing with Watchtower." -from the Wiki

Donald X.

Quote from: TheSeal on 02 September 2017, 09:57:00 PM
To me, it felt like gaining a card when I was passed a card, but did not feel like trashing a card when passing a card - it doesn't go to the trash. So initially it was gaining but not trashing. This bothered some people. Also it means you have to reveal the cards, so a 3rd player (who hasn't seen the card) can say "hey that's an Embassy, we gain Silver."

So as published it is not gaining and not trashing. That was in the original Intrigue rulebook; I knew Hinterlands was coming. And it's in the 2E rulebook, it has not changed.

TheSeal

jeebus

Quote from: TheSeal on 03 September 2017, 12:07:44 PM
Always something new to learn.  Thanks.
Well, it's not that new, since the rulebook is from 2009...

Seprix

jeebus

Quote from: Seprix on 05 September 2017, 04:00:38 AM
New to him. #context
Yes but I mean, it's not like some ruling that has been made online somewhere and you have to go to a forum to find out about. In that case I could more understand the somewhat frustrated-sounding expression of "always something new to learn".  It's in the actual rulebook of the first expansion and has been from the start.

E.Honda

Quote from: jeebus on 12 September 2017, 07:51:54 PM
Quote from: Seprix on 05 September 2017, 04:00:38 AM
New to him. #context
Yes but I mean, it's not like some ruling that has been made online somewhere and you have to go to a forum to find out about. In that case I could more understand the somewhat frustrated-sounding expression of "always something new to learn".  It's in the actual rulebook of the first expansion and has been from the start.

To me that didn't sound frustrated at all, though of course with text messages it's always a bit harder to interpret them correctly.

blamelewis

It sounded humble to me - one more example of the difficulty of communicating tone in online messages (imagine this said in a breathlessly excited voice) :)