Re: signup

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesters G-String

What could have gone wrong :( I'm sure I was registered. (Jesters G-String)

Stef

Quote from: Jesters G-String on 18 September 2017, 09:56:43 AM
What could have gone wrong :( I'm sure I was registered. (Jesters G-String)

I didn't like your name, and sent you a message asking for something to change it into. You never bothered to respond to my message.

meatrocket8

The same thing happened to me.

I'm not sure if it was b/c of my username, but I never got a message asking me to change it.

please help.

thank you

Stef

Quote from: meatrocket8 on 18 September 2017, 10:17:59 PM
The same thing happened to me.

I'm not sure if it was b/c of my username, but I never got a message asking me to change it.

please help.

thank you
No, it has nothing to do with your username, your name is totally fine. In fact almost all names are fine.

But one of the requirements for the tournament was having a subscription until 15 november. The post with approved tournament signups had your name in red.

Jesters G-String

OK, thanks for the reply Stef.

It;s a pity that the G-string of the Jester's guitar was so offensive, but hey, I'll see you in the next tournie then.

Regards

blamelewis

FWIW I'm disturbed that a username can be objected to in that way - there are worse usernames out there and as Jester says a G-string is part of a guitar (although perhaps Jester is slightly disingenuous to imply that the clothing item isn't also implied?)

But as I say, there are worse names - a quick search of the leaderboard and I've seen usernames with "dick" unambiguously used to refer to genitals, a "cock" which I don't think was about poultry, an F word and two instances of the C word - although one of them I suspect might have just misspelled count... There are others, but I hope the point is made?

While I deeply appreciate the hard work that goes into running online Dominion, I think arbitrary standards of name-policing aren't fair, and clear guidance should be given to players if their chosen name is unacceptable, ideally at signup.

Thanks
Tim

Stef

Quote from: blamelewis on 20 September 2017, 02:20:51 PM
...I think arbitrary standards of name-policing aren't fair, and clear guidance should be given to players if their chosen name is unacceptable, ideally at signup.
That is exactly what happened. He got a message right when he signed up, and then ignored that message.

I try to keep the site so called "family friendly", and will continue to ban offensive people when I spot them. Off course I know sometimes people slip through. Maybe one day this whole process of validating names will be more formalized, but if that can be prevented I would prefer it (and let people play right after they sign up)

imho "fair" isn't a good argument to abandon civility.

Jesters G-String

I like my name and have no plan to change it unless I'm being unreasonably offensive in anyway. The double meaning in G-string is intentional, but I fail to see how it is offensive.

OK SO just to be clear, I would never be able to take part in tournies with my current username? I missed the mail because had a hectic work cycle going, but no harm done - I don't think I'm good enough to win :D

jsh

I'm with Jester on this if only because a user named "CuckingmeNancy" was apparently OK.

Donald X.

Quote from: jsh on 24 September 2017, 05:13:17 PM
I'm with Jester on this if only because a user named "CuckingmeNancy" was apparently OK.
I do not find anything offensive about Jesters G-String, apart from the missing apostrophe.

I could see not allowing CuckingmeNancy, having done my urbandictionary research.