Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Getting matched  (Read 638 times)

Offline grackel13

• View Profile
Getting matched
« on: 20 September 2017, 03:39:14 AM »
Hi there,

I just bought the Silver expansion set of Dominion so I can keep learning. But after I bought it, I'm getting matched to tables with cards I don't know! While I learn, I just want to be matched to Base cards. I don't have any of the expansion cards checked as "familiar." How can I go back to just getting matched with tables that use Base cards? Should I not have bought this at all? Thanks for your help!

Offline drsteelhammer

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Getting matched
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2017, 04:03:14 AM »
Hi,

the best way to play games only with familiar cards is either by playing practice matches or making a table and only allowing cards from certain expansions show up.

regardless of what subscription you have, rated games will always use all the cards any of the two players own.

Offline grackel13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2017, 04:19:42 AM »
Thank you so much for the reply -- I probably should have held off buying, but now I'll learn how to create tables. I appreciate the clarification! All best.

Offline grackel13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2017, 04:48:35 AM »
Um, except now I sit here with my created table and nothing happens? Whereas before I would be matched fairly quickly? Why did I buy this??

Offline Stef

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2017, 09:47:42 AM »
Um, except now I sit here with my created table and nothing happens? Whereas before I would be matched fairly quickly? Why did I buy this??

I don't really understand what you want.

You still have exactly the same options as before, except now more people will want to play with you (those that require their opponents to have cards).

If you don't want to play with anything except base cards yourself, then buying a subscription to non-base cards isn't going to help you, but it won't hurt you either. In that case the only thing it does is that you now support the system, and maybe you like the idea of contributing to something you enjoy.

Offline Ingix

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2017, 04:14:13 PM »
It is my experience that most players want to play rated games (which use the full set of cards available to a player). That's why grackel13 previously was matched often, but with cards that he didn't (yet) want to play. When using non-rated games, it usually takes much longer to find an opponent (but once found, there may be several games in succession).

Offline dane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2017, 04:23:24 PM »
If I've correctly understood the requirement, the solution is to use matching after first setting its advanced options to permit practice games but not rated games so that the familiar cards' list will be honoured.  I think currently grackel13 is making a table but then finding that no one joins the table.

Offline JW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2017, 04:36:01 PM »
I don't really understand what you want.

You still have exactly the same options as before, except now more people will want to play with you (those that require their opponents to have cards).

If you don't want to play with anything except base cards yourself, then buying a subscription to non-base cards isn't going to help you, but it won't hurt you either.

The original poster is being harmed by having bought a subscription, because they can no longer play rated games using only cards from the base set. And by far the fastest way to find a game is to use the automatch feature to find rated games.

One solution would be to refund all but the first month of the original poster's subscription, and remove the subscription. Another solution would be to allow a player to "deactivate" the cards that they have purchased, so that they can, for example, still play rated games as if they only had the base cards, but can mix in other cards when they want to.  Similarly to this poster, Burning Skull had to create a separate account called "Drowning Skull" for his great "How to Base Dominion" series (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpPtxyGNGcg) because it is much harder to get a game with only the base dominion set if you are a subscriber.

More generally, the difficulty of transitioning to games with lots of new cards for people new to Dominion suggests that there should be a subscription option less expansive than Silver - say, an option that adds only Intrigue and Seaside- to ease this difficult transition (I created a separate thread to discuss this: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=2185.0).

Offline grackel13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2017, 04:07:00 AM »
That is it exactly, JW -- thank you for stating the problem more clearly than I was able to. It's not the money at all -- I'm very happy to support a game I'm loving learning. I just don't want other players to have to suffer through me being slow, having to look up cards constantly, etc. Plus I was just really having fun honing my base skills, and it's a big leap up to have this many expansions suddenly. What JW said later was exactly what I would have loved and thought I was buying: the ability to choose from more cards (I'm familiar with Intrigue). I don't want a refund, but I would totally support JW's suggestion of having more flexibility with allowed expansions while being matched. I definitely used to be matched quickly, and creating a table is much slower.

Live and