Option to avoid opponents subscribed to more cards

Previous topic - Next topic

JW

Currently, players have the option to wait until being matched with someone who subscribes to cards. However, there is no option for new players who want to avoid being matched (for rated games) with someone who subscribes to cards, in order to avoid playing with many cards that they don't know. I'd suggest an option in matching that lets a player prefer (or require) not being matched to an opponent who is subscribed to cards that they aren't subscribed to.

An alternative or addition is to allow a player to prefer (or require) not to be matched only to an opponent who is subscribed to substantially more cards than they are, where that is defined as no more than one subscription tier higher. This would work well in conjunction with the "Copper" subscription option (to just Intrigue and Seaside) that I suggest here: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=2185.msg8987#msg8987.  Then a new player who doesn't subscribe to any cards could allow matches against another player who has Intrigue and Seaside, which is an easier starting point for beginners than the current Silver subscription of Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Cornucopia, Hinterlands, and Guilds.

Donald X.

I suspect no-one would subscribe to Copper (and that Silver is close to unused now).

I think the long-term way to be friendlier to overwhelmed new players is to have the campaigns. Each one is just the main set plus one expansion, and introduces cards slowly.

splee

Is this just "Familiar" cards? It sounds like what familiar cards are supposed to be there to do; decline familiarity with everything except the base set (or Base + Intrigue + Seaside).

http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1100.0

What are Familiar Cards?
Familiar Cards are a new feature of this Dominion client that is still being worked on. For now, if you go to the Familiar Cards tab in the main menu, you can mark what cards you are familiar with. In certain games (Table games by default, Quick Matches, etc) you will not play with more than a few cards you have not marked as Familiar Cards. The intent here is so that players learning the game will not be overwhelmed with a kingdom full of cards they know nothing about.

Also: the campaigns were cool, especially when they threw in extras like "Free throne room at the beginning of each turn" or "your starting deck is 10 Feasts" (though Empires did throw in a whole lot more variation in VP).

JW

Familiar cards are not respected in rated games.  And by far the fastest way to find a game is to use auto match to find a rated game.

Stef

You started another thread about exactly the same topic... let's continue in the other thread.