Two Undo Buttons

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamH

I think it would be a huge help to the software (and shouldn't take that long to code) if there were two undo buttons.

1. The undo button that currently exists, it just undoes one step. It would be nice if it took you back to the last decision YOU made rather than the last decision ANYONE made (so if you were playing a bot it would actually work for going back to your previous turn, for example). But that's a different feature request.

2. And undo button that lets you undo back to any decision -- essentially something you can click that does the exact same thing as typing "/undo" in the chat does.

I think this second undo button would make the software a lot more usable for a very small cost. Not only does it present the user with one of the most useful features of the software without them having to know about its existence somehow (which is not in the client), but not having to use the keyboard in order to do an arbitrary undo is a huge step in the right direction for usability.

allanfieldhouse

Something like Bootstrap's "split buttons" would work well for the UI for this. This way it still basically takes up the same space as a single button, but if you need the advanced options, you click the dropdown arrow portion. The dropdown could even have options in addition to "undo using log". It could have a bunch of generic "undo 2, undo 3, undo 4, etc".

https://v4-alpha.getbootstrap.com/components/dropdowns/#split-button-dropdowns

markus

Quote from: AdamH on 09 October 2017, 10:46:05 PM
1. The undo button that currently exists, it just undoes one step. It would be nice if it took you back to the last decision YOU made rather than the last decision ANYONE made (so if you were playing a bot it would actually work for going back to your previous turn, for example). But that's a different feature request.

That's exactly how it works since the Nocturne update.

Adding more buttons is not necessarily good, because it makes it more likely to click the wrong button. And you still need some explanation what that button does and what the dots in the log will do. Explaining /undo is about the same cost and using it is fine (unless you're on a touch screen, but then that's not the worst problem with tablets at the moment).

Ingix

Quote from: markus on 17 November 2017, 04:32:28 PM

Adding more buttons is not necessarily good, because it makes it more likely to click the wrong button. And you still need some explanation what that button does and what the dots in the log will do. Explaining /undo is about the same cost and using it is fine (unless you're on a touch screen, but then that's not the worst problem with tablets at the moment).

It's not about explaining things (that needs to be done anyway). It's about the fact that in an otherwise completely mouse-driven environment (let's assume a bot game, so no chat), with the possible exception of using the "name a card" textbox, you have to suddenly use the keyboard for something. That's a big change, even more so when you have a keyboard layout (like German) that has the "/" button accessable only with the shift-key. As I said elsewhere, I say "7undo" a lot to Lord Rattington (on the German keyboad the "/" is on top of the 7).

I understand that obviously the space for a new button must be found somewhere, but like AdamH I think that it would be worthwhile.