Pile sizes & positioning

Previous topic - Next topic

Stef

Today 1.3.2 was released, and it completely rewrites the code that positions the kingdom on the screen.
Now I'm looking for feedback:

a) bugs: garbled up kingdoms
  If you find any kingdom & screen size that looks really awkward please post a screenshot.
  I think we caught them all during testing but who knows.

b) bugs: unused space
  If you find a kingdom & screen size that needlessly makes the kingdom smaller then necessary, please again post a screenshot

c) fine-tuning: pile sizes
  Quite possibly piles are too small now on your screen now. Making them larger will have some cost (probably the in-play zone will shrink) but that still may be what you want.

If you know your way around the javascript console, you may try playing with these variables:

var DESIRED_SCALE = 0.03;
var DESIRED_VERTICAL_USE = 0.30;
var MAX_VERTICAL_USE = 0.5;
var EVALUATION_SCALE_POWER = 5;
var EVALUATION_VERTICAL_POWER = -1;
var EVALUATION_HORIZONTAL_POWER = -.8;

(especially setting DESIRED_VERTICAL_USE a little higher)

tufftaeh

For me, DESIRED_VERTICAL_USE = 0.37 looks fine. I have a quite wide resolution (1920x1040 = full HD minus menu bar, four rows of tabs, url control and favorites), however, so your mileage may vary.

katie_mi

The piles are much smaller now on my PC and the card names are more difficult to read. Is there another way to get back the original size without having to manually adjust the Javascript console. figuring out which is right for your display? I tried to Zoom, but that didn't zoom the kingdom piles, only the rest of the screen.

Jacob Marley

Playing lurker, there was a card in trash I did not want to gain, and it displayed directly over the card I wanted to trash.

tufftaeh

Try to click inside the selection box but outside the card. That works for the ordering box at least.

Ingix

It's the other way around. It works for reveal windows (e.g. Lurker), but not for ordering windows.

Jacob Marley

I was able to click the card I wanted, barely, but it could easily cause a misclick.

Ingix

What tufftaeh said is that you can click on the area I marked with red spray paint in the first picture, and this will move the window to the bottom area (second picture), giving you access to the Kingdom piles for Lurker.

JKRich

Quote from: Ingix on 01 November 2017, 07:27:54 PM
What tufftaeh said is that you can click on the area I marked with red spray paint in the first picture, and this will move the window to the bottom area (second picture), giving you access to the Kingdom piles for Lurker.
I appreciate knowing that (actually I figured it out on my own recently - shortly before I saw it posted here in the forum somewhere). The area to click to move the window is quite narrow, however, and I think it could help to have more open space on each side of the window to click in or have a up/down button attached to the window like I believe MF had.

JKRich

Stef, I played around with looking at a number of kingdoms, varying the # of events/landmarks, so here's some feedback like you asked for:

1. I tried editing my table to use 0 events/landmarks several times, but each time 1 would show up so I can't comment on what a 10 item kingdom looks like. Is this a bug?

2. I'm quite happy with how things look in a "6-column" kingdom, i.e. using no more than 2 extra "full-size" items (events/landmarks/ruins/bane).

3. I found a situation that you might want to tweak involving "8-column" kingdoms, such as using 4 events/landmarks plus an extra kingdom supply pile (bane/ruins). Note how different the same game looks when using Firefox in normal vs. full screen mode (typical W10 PC, 16x9 monitor):

(I'm new to posting screenshots so I hope this worked but in any case you could easily reproduce this. The example I tried to post was game#8302594. #8285582 is similar.) In any case, in full screen mode, which I use exclusively to maximize screen size and I would guess many if not most players do likewise, the kingdom piles are tiny, with the events/landmarks/banner piles in a 3rd row - even while there is a ton of empty space to the left and right of the first 2 rows which could easily fit the events/landmarks. In normal mode the whole kingdom fits in 2 rows (but then having the full screen height is lost). I'm guessing it's possible that using the full size event/landmark images makes it just barely too wide in full screen mode so a parameter might have to be just slightly adjusted so the kingdom appearance doesn't change so much when going to it.

The more common issue meriting discussion is what to do with a 7 column kingdom, say 10 piles + 4 events/landmarks. For me, the kingdom card images are a little uncomfortably small. The common question would be "So would you prefer the events/landmarks in a 3rd row?" I have another idea: have you ever thought of putting the smaller event/landmark images, shrunk to match a kingdom pile width, in the top 2 rows? We don't really need to see the e/l label text be so giant compared to other piles. Shrunken down they won't be the same height as basic kingdom card piles, but just center them vertically and they may look fine while offering the best of both worlds: large enough kingdom piles while leaving a large enough play area. I'm guessing you considered this, but just in case I thought I'd share what came to me.

Ingix

@JKRich: Thanks first for your feedback. Just some info:

Your issue "1." (0 events/landmarks) is a known bug.

The screenshots did not work, there are none in your post.

Posting screenshots:

1. Click on "Attachments and other options"
2. Under "Attach:" is a button saying something like 'Search for'  or 'Select' (it's German in my browser)
3. A file selection box for your operating system should open, allowing you to select the image file to post.
4. The name of the image file should now be next to the button.
5. Write your text and finally click the "Post" button.

tufftaeh

Quote from: Ingix on 01 November 2017, 04:56:48 PM
It's the other way around. It works for reveal windows (e.g. Lurker), but not for ordering windows.

Ah, right, that's quite possible.
I believe I tried it when watching an Advisor or Envoy reveal, most probably not an ordering box (Sentry, Cartographer).
But does it make sense that these two behave differently?

Jacob Marley

In general on my screen, the card images are very small with lots of blank space around them.  I prefer larger card images.  Is there a way to change this?

yed

Quote from: Jacob Marley on 02 November 2017, 05:41:23 AM
In general on my screen, the card images are very small with lots of blank space around them.  I prefer larger card images.  Is there a way to change this?
You should post screenshot here. See the first post of this thread for more details and possibility for manual JavaScript change.

Stef

Increased DESIRED_VERTICAL_USE from 0.30 to 0.37 in version 1.3.2.1

Feedback is still welcome. Are the piles still too small for you? Are they too big now (and in-play too small)?