Autoplay bug: Tournament

Previous topic - Next topic

JKRich

game #8804613 on tokyo - Turn 14 I played Tournament and was asked to reveal a Province which surprised me - I right-clicked on T and saw the "Always reveal Province" button was selected as I expected. I tried clicking "Off" and nothing happened, and repeated trying later with no success. Then Turn 17 Lord Rat played a T and the game hung. I had put both Seaway and Ferry on T if that matters.

markus

Autoplay for Tournament doesn't reveal Province when you play a Tournament. That is desired behavior (https://dominion.games/doc/english/autoplay.html#tournament)
You don't necessarily want to do so - and it won't happen very often in a typical game. The idea was that you don't have to change the autoplay options during the game very often.

As for the stuck game, I don't manage to load it - not even at the start.

JKRich

Quote from: markus on 18 November 2017, 08:47:42 AM
Autoplay for Tournament doesn't reveal Province when you play a Tournament.
OK, it's only for when you want to automatically block when your opponent plays one, I get it, thanks. That was last night so I've forgotten some details but I think I was asked if I wanted to reveal then, too. Either way, that still doesn't change the fact that I should've been able to toggle the radio button options for T autoplay (plus the game shouldn't have hung).

Ingix

I could load the game, and it definitely becomes stuck waiting for the AI. I'll have to do some tests to reproduce this, at the moment I assume that it has to do with being a 3P game, which may not have been tested as intensively as 2P.

JKRich

Thanks for looking into it Ingix. Just trying to help. :D ;D

Ingix

And that's very much appreciated, JKRich. Different players do different things, and some things only come up with lots of players doing many different things.

Ingix

I tested it with a 3 player game, all humans, no bots. Example game is #8879253, where Ingix is about to play a Tournament, with Ingix2 and Ingix3 both having a Province in hand (Turn 18-Ingix). Player order is Ingix, Ingix2, Ingix3.

In that case, once Ingix has played the tournament, if Ingix2 has the Tournament autoplay set to "Always reveal Province", the game becomes stuck.

Further observations:
a) The autoplay settings for Ingix3 seem not to factor in any way into the question if the game will become stuck in the described scenario.

b) It seems the bug only occurs if both Ingix2 and Ingix3 have a Province in hand to reveal. Especially the case where Ingix plays Tournament, Ingix2 has a Province in hand and Tournament autoplay set to "Always reveal Province", but Ingix3 has no Province in hand, does not lead to a stuck game. This can be verified in Turn 16-Ingix of that game.

AFAIK, the bots have at least some autoplay settings enabled, it seems like they have for Tournament. This explains why the problem occured in the game originally reported by JKRich that contained 2 bots.