When Are you a respectable player?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragnar-widowmaker

Quote from: WhiteRabbit1981 on 14 November 2017, 05:44:43 PM
It was Game ID 8669595.
Turn 9, buy Royal Blacksmith and repay 2 debt
Turn 10, buy nothing and repay 6 debt with 3 silvers.
Turn 11, played G,S,C,C and a +2 terminal for 9$. Bought Blacksmith, repaid 8 instantly
from that turn on, TruckerPikachu just drew (and played) massive ammounts of gold to buy everything he wanted. The Champion helped, too.

Explanation: TruckerPikachu build a deck with massive payload and massive draw. He kept buying the 8-debt card by generating 8 or more money each turn.

Where do you find the log?

Ingix

If you know the game ID (8669595 in this case), you can load the game using

New Table/Load Old Game. Add a bot, then press "Ready". A more concise explanation can be found here https://imgur.com/a/tazJ8. This also has a link to a site where you may be able to find the game ID for a rated game.

WhiteRabbit1981

I did not went through every game. I just checked your last game here, assuming that your forum name is identically to your domionin name:
http://dominion.lauxnet.com/scavenger/?user=Ragnar-widowmaker&num_results=10
then I loaded the latest game ID.

Two things here:
1) I think this becomes offtopic in this thread ... but I would love to keep discussing this and other logs.
2) We still do not have a "strategy discussion" part in this forum. Stef, please make it happen! I know 99% of the pro's discuss at f.ds.com, but I see no harm in having a small place here too. I feel that f.shuffleit.nl attracts a lot more players in total than f.ds.com does ... for obvious reasons.

Mike Thicke

I would say:

Level 45+ players generally know what the cards are and the basic strategy for playing Dominion (value trashing, can build an obvious engine, know what attacks are good) but have major theoretical gaps. They often go for points cards too early, or overvalue landmarks such as museum or cursed shrine, especially early in the game.

Level 50+ players generally know what cards are good/bad on a particular board but make significant strategic mistakes (don't value trashing enough, go for points way too early, don't hit the right balance of action generating / draw cards, miss niche card interactions).

Level 55+ players (I am in this group, level 59) generally choose good openings and pick viable strategies, but often make significant tactical mistakes (don't switch from building to greening at the right time, miss endings for themselves or allow endings for opponents, don't hit quite the right balance between economy and draw).

Level 60+ players make very few tactical errors, almost never miss strong card interactions, and are very good at evaluating the relative merits of different possible strategies.

tdellaringa

I hover around 44-45. I think what Mike says is close. I can build engines, identify a strategy and gauge the worth of the events. My issues are advanced strategy and sticking to a plan, as well as reacting to better players and figuring out how to counter what they are doing. I'd also say I am weaker and identifying card synergies than better players.

I have my settings in the game set so that I play mostly better players than me, in the hopes of learning and improving.

Looking at scavenger (http://dominion.lauxnet.com/scavenger/) in the last 50 games, I have wins vs. like 7 50+ players, including a 55. But the issues I mention above make my play inconsistent. The players in their upper 50s seem to be very consistent players to me.

I've learned a lot from Adam Horton's streaming games. I'd recommend watching those.