Option to disable Autoplay Window

Previous topic - Next topic

Bbl

For those of us who do not need/use Autoplay, it would be great to have an option to disable the display of the Autoplay UI in the card details. It takes up so much space and I find it quite distracting.

Stef

Quote from: Bbl on 16 November 2017, 03:16:58 PM
For those of us who do not need/use Autoplay, it would be great to have an option to disable the display of the Autoplay UI in the card details. It takes up so much space and I find it quite distracting.

out of curiosity... why would you want to turn them all off?

For most of the autoplays I can understand the reason (it's confusing if something happens you didn't initiate yourself; the bad animations don't help here) but also assumed there were a few everyone wanted on. Like the crown autoplay... it just saves you from making a misclick?

markus

I think the request would be to not have the option of changing it during the game, because it will almost never happen?
Well, the window's size could be reduced a bit.

Stef

Quote from: markus on 16 November 2017, 04:13:12 PM
I think the request would be to not have the option of changing it during the game, because it will almost never happen?
Well, the window's size could be reduced a bit.

We can think about adding an option to hide the autoplays in game.
I'm not sure I'd want to code that now though, unless there is a lot of interest in it.

It seems like a nice idea to take into consideration when we restructure the options in general. Currently there is a lot about them I don't like. Most importantly the number of options you can change during a game is way too low.
And there isn't any graphical way to do it either, it's all with chat commands. Chat commands should be a nice alternative for clicking, but not the only way to do something.

Anyway, I was asking about the reason to hide them. Personally my only reason for right-clicking is to bring up the autoplay menu. I realize there are people out there that want to read card from time to time. But do you really do it so often it's annoying that you can't see the kingdom at the same time?

Bbl

First of all, thanks for cnsidering the change.

Regarding your initial question, why I would turn off Autoplay in general, the answer is rather simple: Because it leads to autoplay - which leads to mistakes in return. If I reveal Moat all the time, I will definitely miss the one time where I should not have done it. The alternative is to check in every kingdom whether it is better to turn off Autoplay here (at least after I purchased the Autoplay card). So, I need to keep in mind "Oh, there is Moat, I should better check the Autoplay if I plan to buy it"). To judge this, I need to think through all situations that can occur for this card in relation to all other cards, not only if it is worth buying in general. I asume, a top player like yourself does this automatically, but for a mediocre player like me it frontloads quite a lot of thinking process. I prefer making the choice when the situation actually occurs, as there are far less factors involved. It is all about Cognitive load

Sure, I could just turn on autoplay and undo the mistakes when they occur. But undoing a turn to me feels more disruptive and requires more mental effort than just autoclicking a big 'reveal' button in the middle of the screen. And I just don't like making mistakes. ;)

So, my main problem is really the window size & UI of the feature. We have several hundred kingdom cards by now, so from time to time I need to check the exact wording of a card - again, I am not a top level player. Usually I do this while considering a buy. Being able to see most of the kingdom and the log in the background actually helps in these situations.

On a purely personal level, I find the positioning distracting. I am forced to make an active decision to ignore the Autoplay option - which is quite hard, if this element fills half the screen. My eye is drawn to the right, the card is not centered anymore, there is lot of empty black space, it just does not feel 'right' to ignore it.

I also imagine this change to be rather confusing for new players. As it affects Moat, they will see it quite often and I am not sure, if they will find Dominion easier to pick up this way.

So, long story short: I know, it is an edge case of an edge, I will get used to it, if it does not change, but a more subtle UI would be nice.