Nocturne with Bots

Previous topic - Next topic

PLEChicago

How do I play Nocturne with Bots?  I show that I can play Nocturne, but Nocturne Preview is marked false with Bots.  Last night, I was playing Nocturne with a real opponent, and would like to practice with the bots.

markus

"Nocturne Preview" is a relic from the preview phase, which you can ignore.

If you have a subscription to Nocturne you can:
1) New Table -> Create Table
2) Select Kingdom Cards: either select the Nocturne cards that you want to play with and/or the sets that you want to play with
3) Add Bot and click Ready

PLEChicago

Hmmmm.... I suppose it might just be a matter that random selection is not coming up with Nocturne cards.  However, I have tried a few games with just base, promo, and nocturne selected, and I'm still not getting Nocturne cards.

jsh

Quote from: PLEChicago on 18 November 2017, 01:38:49 AM
Hmmmm.... I suppose it might just be a matter that random selection is not coming up with Nocturne cards.  However, I have tried a few games with just base, promo, and nocturne selected, and I'm still not getting Nocturne cards.
Go to your familiar cards tab and mark nocturne familiar.

PLEChicago

Nocturne is marked as familiar.  If I select a table with only Nocturne cards, I get an error that more cards are required.  If I add base (both base and nocturne checked), all I get are base cards.

PLEChicago

On the "score" page (where it shows who won and other data), it does show that Nocturne has been selected, but those cards are not coming up for play

jsh

Did you actually buy nocturne? You have to update your gold subscription to very it.

PLEChicago

It's another 38.67 EU just to play Nocturne?!?!?!  I thought we were supposed to be grandfathered in from the previous game.

jsh

Quote from: PLEChicago on 18 November 2017, 02:26:02 AM
It's another 38.67 EU just to play Nocturne?!?!?!  I thought we were supposed to be grandfathered in from the previous game.

Your subscription from the previous game only lasts until the end of December. If you go to update the subscription now, it defaults to subbing through some time in 2018. You can set it to the end of December to see the "difference" it costs to add Nocturne under your current subscription.

PLEChicago

To clarify, the subscription rate is $40+ USD per year?!?  I don't object to a fee, but that seems really steep.

santamonica811

I HAVE upgraded to include Nocturne.  But the same problem.  I read that the "Nocturne--false" message can be ignored.

But no explanation for why no Nocturne cards ever come up randomly.  If I go into Nocturne and select one or more cards, then they do come into my game.  But nothing from Nocturne ever comes up randomly.  (Yes, all the expansions are enabled, including Noc.)

Since Nocturne makes up between 5-10% of all Dominion cards, at least one card should come up every two games (give-or-take), by chance.  I just played 10 bot games, and not a single Nocturne card came up--other than when I 'forced' it, by selecting specific Noc cards, of course.  Statistically, this is almost impossible to happen by pure chance.  So, there seems to be some software bug going on, which is preventing Nocturne cards from showing up randomly.

Anyone else experiencing this?  Anyone able to get the occasional random Nocturne cards when playing Lord Bot?  When playing another real player(s)???

santamonica811

UPDATE:
1.  I tried deselecting kingdoms, until only 3 were left (Base, Seaside, and Nocturne).  Never could get a Noc card.

2.  Re-edited, to also get rid of Seaside.  Now, it DOES work (ie, with only Base + Noc, there is a random mix of cards from both sets). 

3.  Went back and added a 3rd kingdom.  Again, did not get any Noc cards.

Hmmmm . . . Interesting.

markus

Are you sure that Nocturne cards are marked familiar in case your table options respect familiar cards?

santamonica811

Marcus,
Yes, I am sure.

Note that it does not work properly when all kingdoms are enabled.  It does not work when only 3 kingdoms (including Nocturne, naturally) are selected.  But it DOES work when only two kingdoms are selected.

Weird.

markus

It's just doesn't match any experience that we had so far. Can you just try to start / resign a couple more games against the bot to confirm that it's not just a small sample?

santamonica811

Markus,
The problem was cleared up.  Or, it was an odds-defying experience yesterday (on the order of one out of 64,000,000 against it happening by chance).

Regardless, Nocturne cards are now occasionally showing up in my 'bot games.  Have not yet played real players, but I'm guessing that Nocturne cards are showing up there as well.

santamonica811

NEW UPDATE:
One day later, and the problem has emerged again.

Attempt One:  All kingdoms selected.  I "played" [including just starting and immediately resigning, to see the board] a ton of games, as had been suggested, above.  Not a single Nocturne card.  0 for 15 games.

Attempt Two:  Deselected several kingdoms, so only playing with: Base, Corn, Hinter, Dark, Guild, Advent, Emp, Noc.  Not a single Nocturne card, ever.  0 for 10 games.

Attempt Three: Deselected even more kingdom, so only playing with: Base, Adv, Emp, Noc.
Nope, no Nocturne cards again.  0 for 10 games.

Attempt Four.  Only played with Base and Noc.  0 for 5 games.

Attempt Five: Only played with Noc.  This DID give me Noc cards.

Attempt Six: Re-selected Base, to replicated Attempt Four.  Nope... no Noc cards again!!!

I am at my wit's end.  I have no idea why this is happening, nor why it (apparently) is happening only to me?!?!!! Or why it happened, then stopped, then started again.  :)

{Note: When at least one kingdom has been deselected, you get a helpful list of the 'active' kingdoms at the main matching page.  This list is clearly showing that "respect familiar cards" is enabled, and that Nocturne is recognized as a selected kingdom.}

Mic Qsenoch

My best guess is that Nocturne cards are not marked Familiar. Unchecking "Respect Familiar Cards" would at least test if this was the issue.

santamonica811

Mic,
Much thanks.  Based on your response, I figured out the problem, and it was on my end.  When Nocturne came out, I had checked the box next to "Noc" to make sure that kingdom was selected...along with all the other kingdoms, of course.

But that is not enough.  I also needed to go into the Familiar Cards tab and then select all the cards for Nocturne.  I guess I had done that, long ago, for the other kingdoms, but had not remembered this additional step needed to be done.

Now it is working fine.  For now, at least.  :-)