Smugglers can't try to gain a card that's not available in the supply

Previous topic - Next topic

Watno

If the player to your right gained a card that is not (left) in the supply, you should be able to choose that card and fail to gain it (gaining nothing). See Donald's ruling here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17925.0

WhiteRabbit1981

Mic Qsenoch

Quote from: WhiteRabbit1981 on 20 November 2017, 07:22:09 PM
I am really interested in the edge case where that matters!

Any case where playing Smuggler may give you some benefit, but you don't want to gain the card.

Forced Smuggler plays (Herald, Golem, Vassal). Throne variants on Smugglers where you only want to gain 1 card (or possible 2 with KC), but need to play the Smuggler as a part of a Throne chain for the village effect. Anything where you want to get Smugglers in play (Conspirator, HoP, Peddler, Changeling). Vanilla bonus tokens from Adventures.

fisherman

Quote from: WhiteRabbit1981 on 20 November 2017, 07:22:09 PM
I am really interested in the edge case where that matters!

You don't want to gain anything your opponent played, but you want Smugglers in play for Peddler or HoP or Bonfire or anything else that cares about cards in play.

Ingix

For online play, the important part is what happens when a player gained one (or more) 'ungainable' cards and one (or more) gainables. According to Donald on the forum.dominionstrategy thread, choosing the ungainable one should be an option. This doesn't happen on dominion.games at the moment (if there is exactly one gainable card, this is gained automatically).

This seems to affect only Smugglers, because I think it is the only such card where the the decision what to copy depends on a choice right there. Other cards (like Mint), choose the card beforehand.

WhiteRabbit1981

okay I got it, thanks!

Edge case is:
My opponent buys the last embargo'd working village, my hand is "3x working village 1x smuggler" and i want to buy peddlers, but not gaining the curse.

I had peddler in mind, but i forgot that you have to pick something with smuggler. In rl, you just say "i play smuggler for nothing and gain all those peddlers"

Stef

the smugglers question was supposed to be optional in these cases, but I now see I made a bug which made that never happen (and fixed it).