Mercenary + Market Square + Changeling (+Apprentice? -Changeling?)

Previous topic - Next topic

popsofctown

I played a Mercenary from a hand of Merc/Copper/Hovel/Necropolis/Market Square.

When Hovel and Necropolis were trashed, I was offered the opportunity to discard Market Square (correct), accepted, was offered the opportunity to exchange Gold for Changeling (correct), accepted, then I drew 1 card, it was a Market Square, and the game stopped before drawing the next card to ask me if I'd like to discard that freshly drawn Market Square for a Gold (incorrect).

Since Mercenary and Market Square have been around for a long while I'm guessing that Changeling is mucking around with underwhat conditions the game is checking whether a reaction should be applied, setting a flag that needs to be unset or something.  I suppose it's possible that the bug is strictly with Mercenary and Market Square, but I didn't see it in the known bug list, and man when there's an urchin and a market square, you were buying the Urchin anyway, doesn't Market Square seem like an ok deal??

My opponent encouraged me to interrupt the game to send feedback about it, even though I planned to wait till after and just decline the trigger, but then she left after only 8 seconds of pause.  Maybe I missed some intended sarcasm.  Maybe she misinterpreted the legit Market Square discard as being the hypothetical cheater one and was growing rapidly disinterested in playing (I would be).  Now I will never get to play out the board and find out whether my Urchin/Urchin/ Market Square/ Changeling maxx6-8->Gold&silver buybot was a strong strategy or not :(.  So this bug has added some disproportionate suckitude for me.

santamonica811

What is the hypothetical 'cheater' discard you referenced in your OP?  I'm not familiar with this.

markus

Are you sure that you didn't trash Overgrown Estate that drew you the Market Square?
A game number would help to reproduce the bug. As you said, it's unlikely that a bug exists with just Mercenary and Market Square and hasn't been found. But it's also unlikely that Changeling matters.

Ingix

Thanks for reporting the bug, popsofctown!

As markus has pointed out, a game number would be very helpful in this case. For new games, you can find it as the very first entry in the chat protocol for a given game.

For rated games, a public list of results and game numbers can be found at http://dominion.lauxnet.com/scavenger. I tried your forum name, but it doesn't show any games, so I assume you use another name for the game.

You can search there yourself, and maybe you recognize the name of your opponent. If you click on the line representing the game in the column "Result", you get the game number. It can be used to reload the game in the client, which I (and others) often do to investigate bug reports.

If you post here (or send me by forum message) your game name, I can look there myself.

Stef

doesn't look like a bug to me.

An Overgrown Estate was trashed instead of the mentioned Hovel indeed, hence the card draw in reaction to the trash, and that's also why you were allowed to discard the market square again.

game id is 9127303, in game name is popsofctow (without the n).

@popsofctow - is this difference in n / no n on purpose? If not, what do you prefer?

Ingix

As Stef said, the Market Square that was drawn was not drawn due to the "+2 Cards" part of Mercenary, but the "When you trash this, +1 Card" on Overgrown Estate. This means it happened when the triggers due to the trashing of Hovel + Overgrown Estate where being handled, including potential discards of Market Squares.

If popsofctown had ordered the abilities the other way around, he would have first drawn the second Market Square, then could have discard both(one after the other) to gain 2 Gold. It probably fueled the confusion that the Overgrown Estate draw effect was described as "DRAW_INSTRUCTIONS".

popsofctown

Oh! I asked my opponent for a sanity check, but she didn't figure it out either.

I prefer the n, but by some issue my name was reserved from me being a free-to-play player on goko and I couldn't gain access to the ShuffleIT popsofctown.  So I just made a new one.

And yes I do remember seeing DRAW_INSTRUCTIONS and thinking, well yes, of course mercenary has some draw instructions on him.

popsofctown

Quote from: josh bornstein on 28 November 2017, 07:37:22 AM
What is the hypothetical 'cheater' discard you referenced in your OP?  I'm not familiar with this.
It's not a generally understood term, I'm indicating that if ShuffleIT gave me an erroneous opportunity to discard Market Square, and I knew it was erroneous, and I didn't decline, that'd be cheating.

Stef

Quote from: popsofctown on 28 November 2017, 11:00:14 PM
I prefer the n, but by some issue my name was reserved from me being a free-to-play player on goko and I couldn't gain access to the ShuffleIT popsofctown.  So I just made a new one.

I would assume that the name would have been reserved for you, but maybe something went wrong.
Anyway, I added an n to your in-game name now.