Resign before clicking "Start Game"?

Previous topic - Next topic

doubledukes74

Hello, sometimes when a table launches, the card layout is just not to my liking (for example, Grand Market basically blows up the game these days). Do I still lose the game if I resign before clicking "Start Game"? If so, please consider changing that policy because I think there are legitimate reasons why someone might want to back out of a game based on the card layout.

doubledukes74

Oh, let me clarify. I understand that I lose the game, but I'm more concerned about the effect it will have on my player rating.

yed

You lose the ranking. I think it is all right as it is. It prevents people from wasting opponents time and prevents you to game the leaderboard.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: yed on 14 December 2017, 08:30:31 AM
You lose the ranking. I think it is all right as it is. It prevents people from wasting opponents time and prevents you to game the leaderboard.

I think you could make a highly-ranked Rebuild bot if you could back out of games without penalty after seeing the setup.

pregnantbird

A possible solution could be that both players have to accept ending the game, when they both don't want to play it.

WhiteRabbit1981

This solution does not need to be limited to pre-turn 1. I would really like an "accept draw?" button, but I fear someone would find a way to play the leaderboard with it.

Actually, I love the concept of "double or resign" in backgammon so much (its easy, its strategic, its fair, it works) that I would prefer it, but that wouldnt be dominion anymore.

DanielVanciae

Is it just me, or are most players less polite and chatty than formerly?  I do see frequent immediate resignations without explanation lately; the original poster is far from the only one.  I have usually assumed that, for some reason, the player in question has taken a dislike to me personally (although I don't know why), but the idea that one might resign simply because one doesn't like the board, at least without bothering to say so, strikes me as strange.  (Yes, some boards are a lot more fun than others, and certain cards (e.g., Rebuild, Possession) are particularly unpopular, but most of the immediate resignations I've seen lately haven't had obviously problematic boards.)
While good players (level 50+; I'm not good, and am unlikely ever to be) are less likely to do this, since it does hurt their rating, even good players seem less likely to bother with pleasantries such as "gg" lately.

Am I missing something?  Am I the one who's being (unconsciously) rude?  Or is this just the way things are lately?

blamelewis

I'd say never take an immediate resignation as personal - I don't see how it can be unless someone took exception to your username (someone did tell me once that due to the blue colour of the font they'd misread mine as "blamejews" !!!! I was rather mortified...)

Or *maybe* they've seen your rating and resign for that reason (although of course the range of relative ratings can be selected in the matching options...)

But other than that... unless they've played you before they've nothing else to go on...

Seems far more likely to me that it's people not liking the look of the kingdom cards, (and if you've a higher subscription than them, the kingdom may contain lots of cards they're unfamiliar with...) so I'd generally just chalk it up - I'd prefer an immediate resignation than someone backing out mid-game...

As for in game chat, I almost always greet a player and mostly say "gg" afterwards (unless I feel I've played very badly, when I tend not to...)

The amount of chat in between varies a lot depending on my mood... I'd say there are three big factors in whether I'll be chattier - if something breaks the ice (like a good play, or another in game event); if the other player's playing really fast I'd tend to not feel I've time to chat, or if it's a second game with the same player then I'll tend to chat more... second games often lead to conversations... which is nice.

Some days I'm just in the mood to play with minimal human interaction :) But I do almost always reciprocate if someone else starts a conversation.

Best

Tim

Nirol the Wise

I have occasionally been guilty of resigning before clicking start. In my case it's usually because I've logged in to play with my wife, but accidentally clicked on the automatch button instead of create table.

Ranna156

Quote from: DanielVanciae on 30 December 2017, 07:41:38 PM
Is it just me, or are most players less polite and chatty than formerly?  I do see frequent immediate resignations without explanation lately; the original poster is far from the only one.  I have usually assumed that, for some reason, the player in question has taken a dislike to me personally (although I don't know why), but the idea that one might resign simply because one doesn't like the board, at least without bothering to say so, strikes me as strange.  (Yes, some boards are a lot more fun than others, and certain cards (e.g., Rebuild, Possession) are particularly unpopular, but most of the immediate resignations I've seen lately haven't had obviously problematic boards.)
While good players (level 50+; I'm not good, and am unlikely ever to be) are less likely to do this, since it does hurt their rating, even good players seem less likely to bother with pleasantries such as "gg" lately.

Am I missing something?  Am I the one who's being (unconsciously) rude?  Or is this just the way things are lately?

For me it depends on the device i am playing on. if it is a phone or tablet and difficult to chat then i won't. If i am on a computer i might say something if i don't click on leave table too fast. Nothing personal about it for me...a lot depends on device and mood i guess.