News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Game end, log

Previous topic - Next topic

Malta

"Added game end notification"

I hope the next release will say "Removed game end notification". This just slows things down and risks wasting people's time. I often go to another window and work when a friend is playing a long turn, knowing I will be notified when it's my turn. But now all of a sudden I come back, puzzled my friend is so slow, only to see she has ended the game and that she has given up waiting for me to come back. If it isn't removed, at least make sure it's improved significantly. But I don't really see the need for this.

Also, one of the most recent updates have messed up the log. It keeps on going to the top, forcing me to scroll down to see the new activity. Very annoying.

Ingix

The need for the "game has ended" notification comes from the fact that players wanted to take look at (or copy) the full game log, including the last turn (which wasn't possible previously when they were AFK for a short time or an AI opponent ended the game).

I totally understand that you want to know immediatly when it's your turn or the game is over, and the game normally gives audio and visual feedback (in the tab) when you need to do something. So do I understand you correctly that you want something similar to the "Your turn!/Dominion Online" feedback and some audio feedback in case the game shows the "game over" message?

For the log issue, I noticed that myself on undo. I could reproduce it with Firefox, but in Chrome it worked (log stayed at the bottom). You used Firefox, I assume? And did you do undos, or something else?

Malta

The log scrolling to the top is something that happens in both Chrome and Firefox. I can't rule out it's related to undo.

There is no sound, only a popup message, when the game ends. I understand it might be interesting for players to copy the log, but perhaps that could be fixed by making it available from the end game screen, saving this unnecessary click?

Ingix

I'll look into the log issue further, it has been noted already, but I will test more with Chrome.

For the log vs. end-game screen, I *think* there are technical reasons why it is easier to do this way than to do it on the end game screen. But it should at least inform you visually and per audio that the game is over.

jeebus

It's not just seeing the log, it's that previously you couldn't actually see the last action performed (if it was done by your opponent) at all.

But I definitely agree that there should be an audible signal. The best would be if "You win / You loose / Tie game" would be displayed already (with the accompanying sound) instead of "The game is over".

katie_mi

The log also says all the time that your opponen has left the table which is not correct. I was playing with a friend and when I got this message I was irritated that he had left without notice. Fortunately is wasn't true. Player has left message should only be displayed when he has really left and not as default.

rphilip

Quote from: katie_mi on 18 December 2017, 05:32:55 PM
The log also says all the time that your opponen has left the table which is not correct. I was playing with a friend and when I got this message I was irritated that he had left without notice. Fortunately is wasn't true. Player has left message should only be displayed when he has really left and not as default.

I'd noticed this and considered reporting a bug but I think it actually working as designed but with poor wording.

My guess is that the message appears as soon as they click the "ok" button on the "game has ended" pop up. This certainly could be worded better however.

Philip

Stef

Quote from: rphilip on 18 December 2017, 05:37:32 PM
Quote from: katie_mi on 18 December 2017, 05:32:55 PM

I'd noticed this and considered reporting a bug but I think it actually working as designed but with poor wording.

My guess is that the message appears as soon as they click the "ok" button on the "game has ended" pop up. This certainly could be worded better however.

Philip

You're right on both ends.

AdamH

So when this whole game end thing came up the first time, I thought it wasn't going to last several months. Not being able to see the kingdom or the game log on the game end screen until I click a super-annoying button, and not being able to chat while that button is up, these "workarounds" are really annoying. When is this going to be fixed?