Hamlet not giving “both” discard options

Previous topic - Next topic

Pcoip

When I play Hamlet, it gives me the option to discard one card for +1 buy or +1 action.  But it doesn't give me the option to discard two cards to get +1 action and +1 buy. Am I attempting the play this card Incorrectly or is this a bug?  It's happened in multiple games this morning. Seems like it used to give the options I was expecting in the past.

Ingix

The interface for Hamlet has changed, as you noted.

When you want to discard for both effects, choose "Discard for Action", the select the card you want to discard (for +1 Action). Afterwards you will be given the option to "Discard for Buy".

It's a bit more cumbersome this way, but it allows correct interactions, as the discards are now consecutive (as they are supposed to be) instead of simultaneous (as before).

In all cases, you can just continue playing cards from your hand if you don't want to use any (more) discard effects of Hamlet.

Pcoip

Thank you for the explanation.  I was able to navigate the card effects successfully in my next game.

santamonica811

It is still confusing.  On my screen (Firefox), both options show up on my screen, with Action above Buy.  But NOTHING indicates that you have to choose Action first if you want to pick both.  I wanted to do both, but happened to select Buy first.  And that resulted in the end of that action.  It was easy to use Undo to correct this bug/poor design.  But something should make it clear that you must address discarding to get an extra action *first* if you want to end up getting both Action and Buy.  Even something as simple as adding "1st" to the 'Action' text and "2nd" to the Buy text would probably solve the issue.

Ingix

Good remark, josh. It may be clear for somebody that knows the card text 'by heart' that the discard for Action happens first, but if you are new or just not that focused at the moment, an additional reminder might be a good idea.

How about naming the second button "Buy only"? That seems to confer the meaning as well, at least to me.

TheSeal

Quote from: Ingix on 22 December 2017, 09:26:41 AM
Good remark, josh. It may be clear for somebody that knows the card text 'by heart' that the discard for Action happens first, but if you are new or just not that focused at the moment, an additional reminder might be a good idea.

How about naming the second button "Buy only"? That seems to confer the meaning as well, at least to me.

I agree with Josh and like your solution.

Forum needs a way to up vote replies. That would have been more efficient than me replying to this thread.

Cave-O-Sapien

I agree that this is very confusing, even to someone with a lot of plays under their belt. It's not a mistake I will make any more, but it feels like the confusion could be avoided.

Ingix

I added this on top of the known interface issues.