Calling Duplicate when buying from embargoed supply pile gave me two curses

Previous topic - Next topic

ozyx

In game #10153063, the Cultists pile was embargoed.  I had Duplicate on my Tavern mat, I bought a Cultist, and called Duplicate to gain a copy.  I then ended up with two curses.  This seems wrong since Embargo specifically affects buys, and Duplicate specifically gains.

jsh

When you buy cards, you gain them, so it's actually correct behavior. There should probably be an autoplay feature, though.

Ingix

Thanks for reporting this issue, ozyx!

In this case, however, the interface (while correct) 'tricked' you. I assume you are referring to a situation in your turn 11, in the log as follows:

O buys a Cultist.
  O gains a Curse.
    O calls a Duplicate.
    O gains a Curse.
O gains a Cultist.

What you did was call the Duplicate on the Curse  >:(, which was not intended. The reason the game asks you about Curse before it asks you about Cultist is already mentioned in your question: Embargo triggers on buy, while Duplicate triggers on gain. You gain the Curse before you gain the Cultist, so the game has to ask you first about the Curse.

The prompt for calling Duplicate mentions the Curse, even in its violet color, so you hopefully don't fall into the same trap again.

ozyx

Quote from: jsh on 01 January 2018, 09:32:10 AM
When you buy cards, you gain them, so it's actually correct behavior. There should probably be an autoplay feature, though.
I used a buy to gain one Cultist.  I received a Curse.  That was expected.

I then called Duplicate expecting to gain an additional Cultist.  I instead gained an extra Curse.
Quote from: Ingix on 01 January 2018, 09:35:00 AM
Thanks for reporting this issue, ozyx!

In this case, however, the interface (while correct) 'tricked' you. I assume you are referring to a situation in your turn 11, in the log as follows:

O buys a Cultist.
  O gains a Curse.
    O calls a Duplicate.
    O gains a Curse.
O gains a Cultist.

What you did was call the Duplicate on the Curse  >:(, which was not intended. The reason the game asks you about Curse before it asks you about Cultist is already mentioned in your question: Embargo triggers on buy, while Duplicate triggers on gain. You gain the Curse before you gain the Cultist, so the game has to ask you first about the Curse.

The prompt for calling Duplicate mentions the Curse, even in its violet color, so you hopefully don't fall into the same trap again.
Arrrrrgh.  Thanks, that makes sense.  Wow, I was too busy thinking about the additional Curse that I didn't notice that I didn't end up with the additional Cultist.  I guess I didn't read the link text for calling Duplicate very carefully.

Ingix

It's totally normal that you wouldn't think one moment about Duplicating the Curse, because that is a move that very rarely makes sense (usually only to speed up a 3-pile ending).