feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

perky314

Username: perky314
Feedback on Dominion Online:

Thanks for sharing this opportunity to share some feedback on Dominion Online! I've included some thoughts/feedback below.

Features I'd most love to see added to Dominion online:

• Past game record, including log of moves in the game and plot of score vs. turn. (I loved this feature in the Salvager Chrome extension back in the days of Dominion on Isotropic.) Would be especially nice to be able to search past games by date range and by specific users involved in game.
  • Win-Loss-Tie record (to supplement the currently implemented ratings system
  • Option to invite specific players to table

Comments on wishlist features:

• Offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots - I would not personally use this feature.
  • A bot with a setting for different play styles - I would occasionally use this feature. Even more interesting would be if users could define/program their own play styles.
  • A strong bot - I would love to see this feature!
  • Option for timed games - I would love to see this feature.
  • Options for undo settings - Undo settings would be nice!
  • Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends - I this this would be a blast! But I would prefer to see other features relevant to PVP games implemented first.
  • Option to invite specific players to your table - I would use this feature very frequently.
  • More translations - I would not personally use this feature, but I fully approve of adding translations. (Japanese and German would be my first picks.)
  • Better animations when cars are gained/bought/played - I actually prefer minimal animation when cards are played. I did not mind the text-based Isotropic version of the game. Sometimes animations will slow down the games or cause lag, so I prefer having a clean and functional game interface.
  • Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... - I'm indifferent on this one.
  • Option to hide the log - I always like seeing the log, but I think it makes sense to add a feature to allow users to hide it. Actually, I think the coloring/font in the log could be improved to make it easier to scan back through previous turns are read what happened. (Currently, card plays and card effects are just separated by a small indent, but I think it would be easier if the indents stood out more, or if the colors were bolder.
  • Android app - I would not personally use this feature.
  • iPhone app - I would rarely use this feature.
  • Downloadable game logs - I would love to have searchable game logs made available online, including the ability to search past games by date range played and by user played.
  • Improved moderation - I think this would be useful, but I haven't personally yet had major issues with moderation.
  • Tutorial on how to play Dominion - I think a link to a color pdf of the rules would be nice, and probably sufficient.
  • Tutorial on how to play dominion online - I think the online play interface is fairly self explanatory, as it stands. If/when more features are added, a tutorial could be a nice feature to bring new players up to speed.

Thanks for listening to user feedback!

LuminaLodge

Hi,

LuminaLodge here.  My thoughts are below.

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots - yes, would like this for when travelling and don't have wifi etc.
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles - yes would like this to perfect my playing strategy
3. A strong bot. - yes, I don't want to win all the time
4. Options for timed games - yes, some people just play too slowly
5. Options for undo settings - I don't mind either way
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. - not really needed for me
7. Option to invite specific players to your table - yes
8. More translations (to what language?) - I'm English, so already fortunate
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...no, seems fine to me
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... seems fine to me
10. Option to hide the log - sure, not urgent
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) - don't use
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - YES YES !!!
13. Downloadable game logs - don't need
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) - you've been good at getting that one person off who always waited the full 2 min before making a move...so that was excellent work !
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - not needed for me
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. - not needed for me

All in all, I LOVE this game.  I was part of the old group, but I paid for another year already - hopefully you can grant me the extra 6 mths.  Happy to answer any other questions you have.

C

gamergirl-2-

I could not find a link to a specific questionnaire so I'm hoping that by answering these questions you are going to be extending my subscription... I was previously signed up with Making Fun.

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
I would love an offline client since most of the time I play with bots anyways and internet at my cottage is very spotty and limited. I would also love campaigns. I played all of them on MF.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
Sure! I'm guessing you mean how difficult they are to win against. It would be fun to be challenged at different levels or just play on easy occassionally

3. A strong bot.
No, I likely wouldn't opt to play against a strong bot.

4. Options for timed games
This would be a great option. I more often play against bots because they play faster.

5. Options for undo settings
Yes, I like this option.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
I might like to join one but wouldn't create one

7. Option to invite specific players to your table
yes, I would like this option that was available with MF

8. More translations (to what language?)
Not necessary for me

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
Not necessary for me. I like how things are now in this regard

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
Maybe this is for a later expansion packs, I don't know what this means. The way "Prince"is used now is fine with me.

10. Option to hide the log
Yes, I liked this option with MF and Isotropic. It makes your opponent(s) pay attention to when you are buying provinces etc.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
Androdominion is working for me but I would like it expanded to include more packs

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
I stopped playing this on my ipad because it was so boring because it hardly had any cards. I would love if this got expanded and also that you don't have to play online

13. Downloadable game logs
Not for me, I don't know what I'd want it for :)

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
Sure, but I don't know what to suggest. My solution is playing with bots

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
Not for me. I can figure it out by reading the cards. This however would give you a better chance to get new players

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
Same answer as 15.

Overall, the game is great. I miss my many decks that I had set up with my favourite cards as well as the ability to save games of cards that my opponents had put together.

I'm fine to pay for new decks but it seems quite a rip that I've already spent $100 with MF (accidentally paid twice because I thought the payment hadn't gone through and there was no one that I could get a refund from. John Welch apparently tried).

I very much appreciate that I will get an extension to my subscription for answering these questions but when will this take effect?

Thanks! :)

Joseph2302

Joseph2302, own all expansions except for Nocturne

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots - not something I'd use. Didn't like the campaign modes on Goko/MF much, and I prefer just playing the game with real people
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles - good for new players, but not something I'd use
3. A strong bot. - sounds like a lot of work to get a good bot, but if possible this would be good. Main reason I don't play bots is because they're not challenging enough.
4. Options for timed games - sounds like a g
5. Options for undo settings - would like this, as some players don't like undo. I understand that it's their prerogative, but it'd be nice to choose those settings at start of game, rather than waiting until you make a mistake before seeing how nice they are.
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. - sounds like a good idea in principle, but personally wouldn't use, as I'm already involved in other Dominion tournaments.
7. Option to invite specific players to your table - great idea for playing with friends or in tournament matches. Would definitely use in these scenarios
8. More translations (to what language?) - wouldn't personally use, as English-only speaker
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... - meh, I don't care much for animations
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... - anything to make things like this clearer would be good. Because they can be hard to find at the moment.
10. Option to hide the log - don't do this unless all the log functionality is converted into buttons i.e. calling cards from tavern is only possible via log. If these things are possible elsewhere, then hiding log would be okay, although I like log personally.
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) - would be interested, but only if included in the subscription. Wouldn't want to pay twice, as I don't use it on mobile that much.
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - not an iPhone user
13. Downloadable game logs - would be interesting. Something for stats on games won/loss etc. like GokoSalvager would be cool
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)- moderation seems okay right now, you'll always get some problem people, but there's a blacklist for that anyway
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - great idea, and also a good way to attract new players. MF had a decent tutorial/campaign, and it helped them get new players and therefore new business.
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. - as above, great idea to attract new players

Merry1

This could be fun but is not a deal breaker for me
Yes, please!
3. A strong bot.
Isn't this part of question #2?
Not necessary for me
Yes, I have come to appreciate this
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
Not a high priority
Yes, please.
Not necessary for me
Not a priority
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
That would be nice
Not a priority
Not a priority
Either one, I have an iPad (which I assume is covered by this question?)
Not a priority
Have not ever used that
I had played table top before going online, otherwise might have been helpful
Pretty much know what I am doing, although new cards (or kingdoms) may require some tutorials

My username is Merry1.  Thanks for this opportunity to provide feedback and re-gain access.

fordsb1

Yes.  This is what I bought the MF version for and was sad to lose.

Sure
3. A strong bot.
I like the idea of different strength settings.

Not important to me but I can see the value to others.

Sure

Sounds like a good idea.

Not key

Spanish

I think the current ones are fine.

The current ones are fine

Yes

Not applicable to me.

I might play on my iPhone

This would be great when studying the game.

Might be a good idea

I'm a casual player without great computer skills.  I like getting on the computer and playing the bot game. I really miss the campaigns. They were a big challenge for me and I think a tutorial would really be helpful to a nongammer like me.

Absolutely. See my answer to the last question. 

ashonemagi

My username is ashonemagi, and I own all expansions. Thank you for doing this!

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots:

I liked the campaign mode from Goko/MF and will be interested in using an offline client for them.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles:
Yes, this will be an excellent feature. It will add more complexity to playing AI & multiplayer.

3. A strong bot.
Definitely will use this, as we need a stronger AI!

Yes I will utilize this, as this will ensure players won't spend too long on their turns.

Yes, we should have undo settings. Specifically, having a setting that sets the threshold number of undo approvals from players in multiplayer game will help. There were several times where we were waiting for an undo to be approved but the decision was not unanimous / one person was absent.

Given my schedule and time availability of my friends, I don't think I will participate in this. But this is an interesting idea.

Yes, I will use this. I've encountered times where it was difficult getting my friends to join my table.

I speak English fluently, so this is not necessary for me.

Not necessary. I am comfortable with the animations currently.

Yes, this will be extremely helpful. There are times that I couldn't see the split piles clearly.

I don't think this is necessary.

Yes, I will defintely use an Android app if available.

Not applicable to me.

I don't think I will utilize this.

I haven't personally experienced a need for this, so I can't comment on this issue.

I don't personally need it, but this may be helpful for my friends who are new players.

I don't think I will need this, but this may be helpful for friends who are new players.

Defenestr80r

1. I would use an offline client and enjoyed playing through the campaigns on the old MF site.

2. I think this would be cool but I likely would not utilize this feature. A generic bot is okay for me.

3. Yes, I always like a challenge and strong bots force me to improve my game.

4. I think this is a good feature however I have not faced any issues with people taking too long online. Maybe just a limit that times out and grants a win if the other player goes afk.

5. The current undo system is very good in my opinion.

6. I think mini tournaments is an excellent idea. I would definitely frequent the site more if this was a convenient feature.

7. Yes, I play ~50% of the time with my friends online. Inviting specific players would expedite the process.

8. English is good for me!

9. I'm not particular on animations, simple is best in my opinion.

10. I will admit that it's been a month or two since I've last played and do to this sporadic play pattern I struggle to remember how to view split piles. It's not as intuitive as I'd like it to be.

11. Don't have an Android phone currently.

12. I would rather have improved compatibility with the mobile browser than an app that I have to download. I've played on my phone a handful of times but it is painful to do. Unless this has been updated recently I recall really wishing there was a way to zoom in otherwise functionality was fine.

13. Would be cool, but in all honesty I probably wouldn't ever use this feature

14. This community is surprisingly friendly for an anonymous site. I would recommend having something that auto forfeits for a player if they don't take an action in >10 minutes. I think this should be a default setting but allow players to turn off in case they are playing with a friend and are willing to wait.

15. Would not use. Maybe an optional "help" feature that you can click on any card that would pullup a scrollable FAQ that could be semi-publicly edited elsewhere by the community. I envision this covering somewhat odd scenarios or card combos. Perhaps it could even detect other cards in the current kingdom and only show FAQs relating to the possible cards it would be paired with.

16. Probably useful to new people.

Conclusion:

Overall I think this UI is the best Dominion has ever had. I do wish I could have my permanent purchases back, I definitely wouldn't have spent the money for a subscription. If you could grant former purchasers lifetime Silver that would be nice. Or grant former purchasers a cheaper option to renew. I can pay $45 to get Dominion online for 1 year or I could pay $10 more and get Xbox Live (aka tons of games online) for a year. The pricing just seems way out of the park.

Hope my feedback will be of some use to you! My username is Defenestr80r.

Sharajat

Username:Sharajat

I would only use this in conjunction with a phone app.  I do not have any desire to play bot dominion on my PC.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles  & 3. A strong bot.

Could be fun for testing things.  These are similar questions, and I really think that the playstyles is important for casual players and players who don't like the stress of playing against humans, and as a teaching tool. 

Oh gosh, I don't really want this feature.  Maybe speed-clock style, where you have a 5 minute time bank, and you have like 30 seconds to take your turn, with extra time added to your "bank"?  Some games are horrid slogs, so this is the only way to do that.  When the game naturally takes 30+ turns due to the board, you can't complete it the way you can a 12 turn game.

Yes, I want the option to auto-approve all undos that don't reveal extra information(like, clicked the wrong card) and the option to consider allowing undos that did reveal information (accidentally clicked wrong action with enchantress token active)

Hell yes!

Hell yes!  Limit it to friends list to avoid invite spam from randoms, but please put this in.  Please. 

8. More translations (to what language?)'

This question seems poor, since the thing is that all your current players understand all the languages you have, so you're not reaching any new markets.  For new markets:

Chinese: This is obvious.  The second most spoken language in the world.
Japanese: Big board gaming culture, could be very popular.

Gosh, a few things that are confusing is currently Hexes.  Please flash the Hex on the screen for 2-3 seconds.  Actually flash all attacks that don't involve decisions on the screen for a few seconds.  It's not like the player has much to do when it's their opponent's turn.  It's really useful information, and this moves it out of the log.

Both halves of the split visible on mouseover.  Add medium sized "icons" for archives, Native Villages, Islands, Gear, etc.  There's not many "storage" cards, and it's vanishingly rare you'd use more than 3 icons in one game.  They can afford to eat some real estate for visibility (maybe next to the player name?)

The game is literally unplayable without it right now.  This is the end goal of a LONG string of improvements.

I use iPhone, not Android, so iPhone is much more important to me.  Personally, I hear developing on the iPhone is much easier than Android, due to there only being a few hardware configurations. 

Yes?  But more important, uploadable game logs.  Let the player open a log, and have the engine play out the log with both hands revealed. 

Have specific report categories.  Autodetect slowplay, kick it up to a mod fast. 

Please?  Or at least a prominent link to a Youtube video.  Actually you need a real entry page, dominion.games doesn't suffice. 

Yes.  Youtube video minimum.

dahve3d

Thanks for doing this!

Username: dahve3d

Overall, I think you're doing a great job. In my opinion this site is clearly far superior to any other implementation that has ever existed. >99% of my time on this site I have no complaints about anything and it all runs perfectly smoothly. Biggest complaint is glitches with occasionally not being able to load the site/get logged back in, but odds are those have as much (or more) to do with problems on my end as the site.

Re: your specific ideas -

Probably not, much more interested in competing against other humans

This would be interesting - i.e. a bot that will err on the side of playing engine or err on the side of playing money if the decision is close. Seems like it might not be relevant in that many cases though given that many play styles are just dominated on lots of boards.

3. A strong bot.
Yes, this is important, for being able to test strategies and just general sandboxing capability.

Would love to see this. Seems like it could get complicated fast though depending on the board given that some board require way more thinking than others. Maybe a setup in which players agree on a time control after looking at the board? Assuming this would function like a chess clock.

Undo is one of the most important features that I think this platform has over past implementations... I can understand wanting to have the option to turn undo off for serious games or tournament play or things of that ilk, but I doubt I would make much use of it in normal casual or ladder games.

Yes, 100%, would love to see more tournament play.

This seems like a no-brainer, would be very useful for finding friends.

I'm an English speaker, don't really have any preferences here.

Seems to me like there are more important things to spend your time on than this.

Yes, having to go search in another window to read the text of the card on the bottom of a split pile is annoying. In general, would love to see a menu you can pull up to read the text of cards that are relevant to the game that aren't immediately visible on the board (black market deck, tournament prizes, etc.)

Guess it should be optional, but I'll never turn it off.

Would love to see this, seems like there would need to be some way to swipe between different zones of the board smoothly in order to be able to display them large enough to be functional and avoid misclicks.

Not an iPhone user, but seems like this and android should probably have equal priority.

Yes, this feels essential to being able to study past games, share logs with others, and hold on to history of interesting/strange games.

Seems like things are going pretty well on this front, I have no complaints

This is available elsewhere, I can understand why it makes sense for you to want to have it to hook new users, but I will never use it.

Same as above

a10noit

I'd be interested in campaigns if they had some advance scripting.  E.g. have some back-story before the kingdom gets loaded to a game state (e.g. turn 8 ) where you have to make a critical decision.

Interested

3. A strong bot.

I believe a strong bot can be developed by the community by providing an API to the game-state, then that bot can be integrated back into the client for some compensation (e.g. extended subscription)

I'd like this option with the caveat that the players can agree on the amount in the time bank after matching but before starting.

I'd like this option to be present after matching but before starting.  Can specify defaults in the main menu.

Would like, but not top priority

Yes

No

No.  Maybe something with sounds (something like Ascension app for mobile devices, certain sounds for certain actions).

no

no

improve compatibility

N/A, but improve compatibility

yes, and/or API to download logs

No, other then agreeing to rules before match starts (e.g. agreeing on time bank)

No, maybe for new players, have a tutorial campaign for each set

No

Extra:

Have more of the game accessible via API. 

Hosting bot tournaments, best bot can get integrated back into client.

Provide the ability or a toolkit where people can create their own campaigns.  Campaigns can be shared amongst players, and really good campaigns can be integrated into the offline version of the game.

More audio aesthetics.  MF client did a good job with that.

lots of other ideas...

ChapelVault

I could not get an activation email to send to the email associated with my account, but my player name is fijigrad.  I've answered only the parts that I had an opinion about.

Yes, please.  I would use this a lot.  I enjoyed this aspect of the previous version of Dominion, especially in learning the new expansions.  I like to be able to jump on and play a game or two and then get back to work.

I think this could be useful, but it is not as important as a "good" AI that can beat you when you don't play optimally.

There are times when I've simply clicked the wrong card or lagged and made an error, based solely on my impatience, not incompetence.  I would like to see an option to give each player a fixed number of undo moves (2, perhaps) that do not require the consent of the other player(s). 

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...   && 10. Option to hide the log
I would like to see the victory/treasure area shrink even more than it already is, have the log and the chat window in the same space and have the ability to minimize that area.  I would like to be able to see the Island mat, Tavern mat, Prince target, etc. If you could toggle between showing the log or the chat window and showing the mat areas in play, that would be helpful.

If I could play bots, I would probably use this feature.  I wouldn't trust the reliability of my cell connection or anyone else's on a phone in a head to head game.  I honestly do not know if this already exists or not.

I would never use this, but I can see some people wanting this feature to analyze another's player's strategy to help their own.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...
Obnoxious players in other games I've played online are a big reason that I do not play many games online against people. I've not played anyone that was rude, but I've read about enough occurances to make me a little gun-shy to play humans outside of my friends list.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion && 16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
This is where a campaign against bots would be helpful.  The best way for a new player to learn is the lpay and to play a lot, and with the same cards until you figure them out.

I really enjoy the game and hope you continue to improve the online experience.

kingdedede

Providing feedback just 'cause. :) I never bought the expansions on MF.

This would be nice. I especially enjoyed the variants that MF had, like start with 10 Feasts, or gain a copper every turn, or the first action you play every turn is played twice, etc.

Could be interesting.

3. A strong bot.

Definitely want this. I greatly prefer playing against humans, but it's nice from time to time to play against the bot. Right now the bot is really bad, so this would be a welcome addition.

I would never play a timed game.

I think undos should automatically be granted if the game state doesn't visibly change. For example, if you click End Actions too early by mistake, you should be able to undo that without a request.

No preference.

No preference.

Don't care about this.

This is by FAR the MOST IMPORTANT thing I want to see. I hate not seeing all the animations for things: I want to physically see the card I trashed when I play Swindler, the cards I discard when I play Rebuild, my opponents' hand when they play Hunting Party, the cards I reveal and discard when I play Hunting Party, etc...

I don't like needing the log to see what happens; you should know everything that happens in the game without having to read about it, just like it is in real life.

Another really minor thing that MF did that I thought was a nice touch were all the little animations/jingles that played when certain things happened:
1) Whenever a Gold/Platinum/Province/Colony was gained, there was a little jingle
2) Whenever you gave out curses, there was this purple stuff that went from the card to the curses pile (or something like that, don't remember completely)
3) Whenever you got points from Monument/Goons/Bishop, sparkles moved from the card to where it showed VP.

Absolutely. This ties in to #9.

Yes, but only when the things in #9 are addressed.

I don't personally care.

Would be nice to have, but I usually just play on my computer. The few times I've played on my phone, it's been near impossible.

Would be nice to have. Ideally one could load the log into the client and see that game play out.

It seems fine to me the way it is; I've hardly ever encountered problems, and if I do, I just blacklist them.

Obviously I wouldn't use this, but I think this would be a great way to get more people into Dominion.

Same as #15.

17. Miscellaneous

Yep, I added another category. These are of course of a much lower priority than #9 and #10 above.

a) I really don't like the streamlining that the game does to make things go faster. For instance, play Remake with a hand of 4 coppers and it automatically trashes 2 coppers for you. I want to physically select the coppers, because sometimes it throws me off that it does it automatically.

b) A really minor thing that would be cool to see would be a way to play the game with your own variants, like the first action card you play each turn is played twice, or gain a copper every turn, etc., which either applies to all players or specific players.

c) Another cool thing, way into the future, would be to be able to make your own Dominion cards and play with them.

Suzie

One day, I bought Dominion from Goko thinking that I will have it forever. That turned out not to be true, and I'm sorry. I liked the new version that just ended, I often played. I appreciate the extra half year of subscription. My username is Suzie.

I play the Dominion board game regularly, and I love playing computer games because I can perfect my strategies and the game is much faster.

I prefer to play against the computer, 1 bot, I never play with a human opponent. I do not like being ridiculed by my opponents.

My table game is in French, I would appreciate having the cards in French on a game in my computer.

I can not wait for the campaign mode to be in focus, because that was my favorite in the old version that was played on the internet Goko, Making Fun. That's what pushed me to buy the extensions I thought I would have forever.

A big improvement for me would be a feature of replaying a game with the same cards, it would allow me to try new approaches to improve my game.

I loved to see all the actions (mine and those of my opponent) which is no longer the case. I have to read the logs to find out what happened. I would also like to adjust the speed of the game for my taste, as was the case before.

Hope these few comments will help you continue to improve Dominion.

iamsparticus

Username is iamsparticus (shocker)

Mildly useful.
Mildly useful.
3. A strong bot.
100 times yes. The bot seems to be weaker than past versions, can't string together actions to save it's life. It's probably good that the bot is weak by default but I'd love something better to play against.
Dislike. Timing should not be part of Dominion as some strategies (actions) take longer than others (big money). Unless you mean shorter time in-between each move, which, I'd dislike but less.
Sure.
Sure.
Absolutely.
I have no need.
Don't care.
No.
Don't care.
No.
No.
Yes.
Yes.
No. But I have played the game for years and likely so has everyone else responding.
Same.