feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

pregnantbird

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
3/5 Would be a nice bonus but not absolutely necessary. As you wrote should come after having a good bot.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
4/5 Should be considered while developing 3 (strong bot).

3. A strong bot.
4/5 Would be nice to test strategies! Should include an option to choose strength especially for new players.

4. Options for timed games
2/5 Nice bonus but not necessary.

5. Options for undo settings
1/5 The present way is convenient for me.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
3/5 Nice Idea! I would use it. Might be nice with included counter with wins/ losses and automatic alternating start player.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table
1/5 The present way is convenient for me. If this is implemented it should be developed together with 6 (online mini-tournaments)

8. More translations (to what language?)
0/5

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
2/5 Could help to see what the opponent is doing, medium priority for me.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
1/5 Might help

10. Option to hide the log
0/5

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)

5/5 Absolute number one priority!! I bought an android tablet to play dominion and it's just medium fun with it. I was very happy to see that the reordering might work in the next release. I'm fine with improved compatibility like online-go.com where making a shortcut to the website on your home screen brings the perfect version without showing the browser. It confused me in the beginning a bit but is now very convenient as it does not to be maintained and it has no updates. An additional benefit of this would be that Iphones and androids would not need separate apps. If there is an app, an offline mode against a friend or against lord rat is a must!

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) &
13. Downloadable game logs &
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
0/5

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion &
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
0/5 Not necessary for me. Consider that new players who would need it will not answer in this thread.

Linda B

Quote from: Stef on 09 January 2018, 10:33:57 AM
I've come to the following decision: If you are one of the people for whom "free 2017" just ended, I am willing to extend it with another half a year in exchange for one hour of your time. The short version is "provide feedback and don't forget to include your username". Longer version below. The offer stands for anyone replying in this thread in the next 10 days and is only about expansions you once bought from MF. If you already bought a subscription for (a part of) 2018, I will extend it with half a year for the appropriate expansions.
Shortest I can make it: Yes to all except 4, 6, 8, 9, and 12-16.

I do want an offline version because mostly I play alone. I'm trying to keep practicing till I can give my son a run for his investment in time. I like bots that I can occasionally beat, and that I can learn from. I don't want to be constantly stomped (I lose heart), so I'd actually rather win all the time than lose all the time because that way I at least can get familiar with the cards, and develop strategies. Whistles and bells and pretty are not a big deal to me.

I may want an online version as well when my son moves away for college or work. It is in anticipation of the day when he moves away that I invested in the MF games in the first place.

Hope this helps.

afielbaum

Hi, I am the user AFIELBAUM in dominion.games
These are my answers

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
Not too important.

I dont think there is a "style" that fits each set of piles. Not important.

3. A strong bot.
Very important. Without it, the offline version is useless.

4. Options for timed games.
I would only use it to increase the rapidness of the game.

The only option i would add is to agree, prior to start the game, to always accept undo'es that are obviously an error (when you have no new information)

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
It would be fun, not too relevant.

This would be nice

I would like a translation to spanish but it is not really relevant

I dont care

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
This would be helpful

Nice

It is really slow to play on android, and it is easy to select an erroneous card. An app would be ideal, otherwise, strong improvements are needed.

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
I dont care.

13. Downloadable game logs
I dont think I would use this.

I have never used the moderation.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
I dont need it.

I dont need it.

MVP

Username: MVP
Played on original Isotropic server and every option since

This is of no value to me.  Perhaps if I were really board on an airplane I would use it, but all of the value is in live games to me.
   There are always lots of games available, I wouldnt use a bot at all.
3. A strong bot.
   Same as above.
   Love this idea, I greatl enjoy playing an engaged opponent that is quick with the cards.
   I guess this is a nice to have, but from a priority standpoint it is fairly low
   It would be great to have online tournaments.  However I wouldnt envision it as just setting it up as one for you and your friends.  There should be some structure for finding a tournament with similar skilled players.  This was done really well on internet chess club back in the day.  Adhoc tournaments and then a tournament leaderboard of some sort.
   I enjoy playing with random people, not certain I would use this.
   I wouldnt use this.
   Personally i would go the other way with this.  I always enjoyed the text based implementation on isotropic.  I would be very interested in a simplier lay out with less graphics.  The present UI looks fantastic, but for those of us that play all the time the animations and graphics are window dressing.
   Yes this would be great.  Recent changes to be aware you are under an attack duration are great.  There are still some big ones missing (having debt while on black market comes to mind as something that looks like a bug)

One thing I would really like to see added is a better in game scoring UI.  The end of game scoring update is great.  In game it would be so valuable to toggle over to that view as well.  Specifically I am thinking of when you need 3 of a card for points or to know which two cards are your highest count for the other event card.  Sure you should be able to card count it most of the time.  One of the other implementations allowed this view in game (or at least a count of how many of each card you have presently).
   Low priority, I find it quite helpful
   Good idea, but I use an iphone, see below
   Would love this.  I play on the ipad sometimes, but it isnt great.  Most of the time I have to spin up an AWS workspaces app and play using their UI as if I were on a desktop.
   I wouldnt use this for much, perhaps it would enable some of the more advanced metrics on other sites.  I remember seeing strength of your play with specific cards, that was interesting and I dont think it is presently being done.
   Sure this would be nice to have.

I'll add another suggestion here, I would like the option to ban someone temporarily.  There are times when I get annoyed with someone and dont wnat to play them again in 24 or 72 hours, but i don't want to add them to my permanent ban list becuase I will never remember to take them off.  Would be nice to have a timer on the ban (or permanent for the real ass hats)
   Not important for me
   Not important for me

I am just going to add a suggestion at the bottom.  I haven't read anyone elses comments (as was requested) so I am not certain if this has been suggested already.

I would really like to see real time rating updates.  Only getting these once a day is a real drag, it would be great to see how your rating changes on a more regular basis.

dsjdom

Here's my feedback -

• Allow players to choose cards - this was my favorite feature of the old MF version and would love to see this in current version
  • While I've gotten used to having the VPs displayed it still seems to me that it really changes the game in important ways. Would love an option to not have them displayed.
  • Option to match w/ players who play at a desired speed. This couldn't be exact, of course, but some option of,
    say, not matching with players known to be slow would be fantastic.
  • Ability to invite specific players

Thanks and good luck with future development. My username is dsjdom.

jsh

I want this, if only to reduce the number of complaint threads. Sounds nice anyway

Don't need it

3. A strong bot.
Matthewmatosis has a term called "Artificial stupidity." I think it's important for casual players to have a bot that knows what it's doing but doesn't play optimally. Me personally, all I really think is needed is a Big Money X bot.

Please

No information always, and a setting to disallow all other requests.

Might be fun, but low priority

Needed

Some are on the way, as I know. I think this should mostly be worked on just as it comes up, but I would prioritize Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish. There are also several Indian players on DO who might benefit from Hindi, Tamil, Punjabi, etc. Maybe ask Indian players?

A bit controversial, but I really don't care about this at all. I think the client looks fine.

I'd like this

Seems completely unnecessary, especially if you do 10)

In theory I would use it, but I don't really care either.

Down with Apple

Sure

Almost everyone here is saying they don't care about this, but as a moderator, I think some improvement is needed here. I don't think there are any easy answers. A Report button might help a little, but doesn't solve the underlying causes. Muting chat & Timed play would probably go a long way here.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion &
I don't think 15) is needed at all. Some kind of interactive tutorial for 16) would be good. Maybe get Adriaan on that at some point.

pastorshooty

Pastorshooty here. Before I go through the questions, I'll just say that I am one of the unhappy customers. I really enjoy playing Dominion online and play just about everyday, but I feel as though I should have gotten something better for the money I spent on the previous platform. One year vs. lifetime isn't really a good deal. It should be an even swap - lifetime for lifetime. Please do what is fair for your loyal gamers.

Now onto the questions...

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots - this would be good for those rare moments when I'm not connected to the internet, but I don't see that happening too often.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles - I don't play bots often, but that sounds fun.

3. A strong bot. - same answer as #3

4. Options for timed games - No comment

5. Options for undo settings - I think at least one undo should be allowed per game. I've had moments where a card was accidentally clicked and the other player would not allow the undo.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends - I like the idea of creating your own tournament. Playing against friends is more fun than playing with strangers.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table - YES

8. More translations (to what language?) - No comment

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... - I think the current animations are fine

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... - YES

11. Option to hide the log - YES

12. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) - YES

13. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - YES (Ipad would be better)

14. Downloadable game logs - I don't see the point in this

15. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) - This would be wonderful. I'm sick of playing against people that act like jerks for no reason.

16. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - this would be helpful to new players

17. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. - this would be helpful to new players

bbfrancis

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bot:

I have no interest in this.

3. A strong bot.

YES! YES! YES! Something like each player gets a total of 30 minutes and a max per turn.

Get rid of undo. People get pissed if you don't allow it.

Love this idea.

Yes sometimes when you stash a card you see what you stashed if you forget.

No. I love the log.

I have interest in this.

I have interest in this.

Yes I love this idea.

I have interest in this.

I have interest in this.

I have interest in this.

I would love to be able to save a kingdom.

My username is bbfrancis

Schleeki

All text in red translation by Ingix

Brauche ich nicht wirklich

I don't really need it.

Brauche ich auch nicht, macht aber sinn falls eine offlineversion käme

I don't need that either, but makes sense for the offline verion.

3. A strong bot.

Brauche ich auch nicht, macht aber sinn falls eine offlineversion käme

I don't need that either, but makes sense for the offline verion.

Wäre interessant damit einige schneller spielen

Would be interesting to speed up some players.

Für mich gut wie es jtzt ist

Current situation OK for me.

Wäre eine nette abwechslung

Could provide nice variety.

Wäre toll

Greatly appreciated.

Für mich nicht nötig, man könnte allerdings die englischen namen der karten mit einem rechtsklick anzeigen lassen

Not necessary for me, but one could show English card names on a right click.

Für mich gut wie es ist

For me OK as is.

Das wäre schön, wenn man beide karten sehen könnte

Would be nice to see both cards.

Wäre super wenn man mit einem kleinen bildschirm spielt

Would be very good when playing on a small screen.

Wäre super

Would be very good.

Wäre super

Would be very good.

??
Brauche ich nicht

I don't need that.

Für mich nicht nötig

Not necessary for me.

Für mich nicht nötig

Not necessary for me.

ejcarter9

Yes

Sure

3. A strong bot.
Maybe

Sure

Definitely. How many times have I mistakenly clicked when I was trying to right-click or because I was hovering over the wrong space? I absolutely want an undo feature.

Not important to me.

No

Sure

Yeah, that could use some input from UX designers who happen to play Dominion.

Yes

Definitely. But I want to easily see the trash pile.

If that allows me to play on a Kindle Fire, then Yes.

Too small a screen for me to consider that an option.

Not important to me.

I usually play just bots, so not important to me.

Sure

Sure.

eowyn_32

Hello,

I play Dominion once in a while and really enjoy it. I play a lot with bots, and my username is eowyn_32. My two cents would be:

Sure, this sounds like fun!

Yes! Since I do play a lot with bots, it would be nice to have some variety in style. A bot that didn't get "stuck" with certain cards all the time would be great.

3. A strong bot.

I'm a medium-skilled player right now, so I'm not sure this would be a high priority for me.

Not a priority for me.

Yes!

Not sure I'm at this stage at present.

Yes!!

Not for me.

I would love such a thing and be interested in downloading it, depending on cost.

Nope, not for me.

Not needed for me, but I think important for new players.

Again, not for me, but great for new players, or if any significant new changes were to happen in online game play.

Martin plays Piano

Hi Stef,

here's my prio list.
User name in Dominion online: Rachmaninoff

not necessary for me
yes, nice to have - the bot's play style should be chosen either randomly or with a pre-set
3. A strong bot.
yes, this should be included in #2
not necessary for me
undo should be automated in case there is no new information detected
I am not sure, whether me personally will use this often - but could be fun for many players
yes, matching tab should include private tables and invitations for friends (or specific players)
it would be nice to have some more information together with the player's name always when this is shown (current level, a little flag of home country, an avatar)
no
yes, could be nice - but I recommend a smoother log with last cards bought pictures, last card trashed pictures etc.
"smooth log" means also replay funtions in slow-motion for the last 1,2,3 turns
no - I use the kingdom visualiser from Icehawk for this
see #9
no
no
no
no - Discord moderators do a great job here
no
no

To be honest, I would like more statistics:
- leaderboard of the day / week / month (based on games last day / last week / last month)
- shooting star of the day / week / month
- bring the Breppert tool into Dominion online
- leaderboard against bots (when #2 and #3 is implemented)

That's it - have fun and many thx for the job done so far.

Rachmaninoff

AthosNRW

Hi Stef

Not an important priority on the top. But at any time nice to have in case of an internet shutdown

Yes, that would be nice, because I play a lot against bots (because I'm making some breaks during my work without looking for real opponents for a quick play). Different styles would be really nice.

3. A strong bot.
Also this would be really nice, because the current bots are playing stupid (counterfeid, bandid fort, mascerade or trashing cards) I can imagine how difficult it is to create a bot-mashine that looks for the setting before starting to play, but it would be very nice.

Good idea to avoid slow players

It's okay as it is

That would be a nice option. Good idea.

No need for me

No need

No need. It's okay as it is

Nice idea, but no need for me

Maybe good idea for smaller screens, but no need for me

No need for me

No need for me

No need for me

Maybe an option to force a slow player myself with a time bank to start his next turn, otherwise he resign automatically

No need

No need

Last but not least: I am very happy with the improvement of the online client the last year. Well done.
Best regards
AthosNRW

NBY

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots  I started on the MF site and loved the campaigns, though they were online.  Even though I got stuck a number of times, I came back to continue playing.  I would be happy to have this feature back and would use it, perhaps equally or more than playing with random-style matching other people.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles  Interesting idea, low priority.  Sounds hard to code what different styles of play are?  Do you mean choosing supply piles that are more Attack, or equal Attack/Reaction or Duration?  This doesn't matter to me though I might try it once or twice.

3. A strong bot.  ?  No opinion/don't need it.

4. Options for timed games  Not a bad idea, but not important to me.

5. Options for undo settings Low priority. I read a thread where it said you can go to a point in the log and undo from there, but honestly I just hit undo a few times if needed and don't try to undo more than what I just immediately did.  Just like live gameplay.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.  This sounds like fun, but only once you get to #7!

7. Option to invite specific players to your table  Absolutely!  What's been the point of making these "friends" when I can't invite them, only go join a table where they are and wait for them to finish what they're currently doing?

8. More translations (to what language?)  N/A but a good idea.

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... I'm fine with what you have.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...  Split piles for sure; it's helpful to know what's under, especially when dealing with newer cards.  Prince stuff becomes obvious fairly quickly, and I don't know Archive/Crypt well enough to comment.

11. Option to hide the log  Not important to me/very low priority; I like having the log there, as it allows me to look at another window and then come back on my turn and quickly scan to see what happened.

12. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)  13. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)  Nice idea but I don't care - I don't play on my phone.

14. Downloadable game logs  Don't care/low priority - I think this game is best played, not read.  There's too much to do in life to reread old games.

15. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)  Not a high priority for me; never had a bad situation, thank goodness.  Good idea in general, though, as there are always going to be troublemakers.

16. Tutorial on how to play Dominion  Does this exist already on the Rio Grande site?  Link there instead, as it's their game, and it makes sense to let people go there, learn more, perhaps even buy something if they like it enough.  (Looking, it seems you can download "Game Assets" including the rules; don't know if that's sufficient, or if you want to link to the basic rules of gameplay?  Just saying: don't reinvent the wheel.)

17. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. Tips and tricks to using your system makes a LOT of sense.  For instance, on my mouse (PC) I right-click to read a card, but on my Macbook I have to tap my track-pad with two fingers to read the card.  I had a bit of trial and error before I figured those things out.

My username is NBY.  I would greatly appreciate another 6 months for free!  I'm sorry your feedback got out of hand.

ednever

Stuff I would use/want from your list:

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:

-> Yes yes yes. I don't really care about campaigns, but being able to play bots offline would be great. Even if they aren't very good.

-> Yes.

3. A strong bot.

-> Definitely

-> I don't think I would ever use this

-> Maybe. But likely not. What you have now works fine 95% of the time

-> In theory I would like this. In practice I will not use it until the kids are older

-> Sounds nice, but I would not use it

-> Not for me

-> I don't care about this at all

-> Maybe nice to have (I'll bet I would appreciate it when its there, but I'm not asking for it). Being able to read the card at the bottom of the split pile would be nice (but at this point I have it all memorized anyway)

-> I would never hide it

-> I do not have an Android. But if there was an offline mode I might play on an Amazzon Fire on planes

-> yes yes yes. Last time I tried it was unplayable. Is it better now? An app would be fantastic.

-> I would like this for others in theory. But I would rarely use it

-> I would like to be able to better deal with chat abuse and slowrolling. But solution now is fine. Someone only gets to do it to me once and then I lightningbolt them and never see them again

-> Not for me

-> Not for me

Thanks for all the work you have put into this. Definitely worth whatever I pay you per year for the enjoyment I get from it.

Thanks,

Ed