feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

Diedre

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
It would be nice but I think it will be too time-consuming (not worth it)
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
Sure, it wil be nice.
3. A strong bot.
Sure. I tried to play against bots when I was sloppy/sick but it was not fun for me. It did not have the challenge. Today, I play unrated in this conditions.
4. Options for timed games
Do not need.
5. Options for undo settings
Yes, I think that is needed. I like the undo feature but I think it needs improvement (like not allowing undo when reveals new information).
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
I am more of a fan of tournaments that you could join and play over a couple of days.
7. Option to invite specific players to your table
Do not need. Creating a new table/joining works fine
8. More translations (to what language?)
English is fine. (but I heard that a Brazilian guy translated the cards to Portuguese... It would be nice since it will bring more Brazilians to Dominion Online)
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
Do not need. I usually turn them off.
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
Sure!!! For me is top priority now. And please, remove the buttons of the log (it should be a dialog box.)
11. Option to hide the log
Do not need.
12. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
Do not need.
13. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
Do not need.
14. Downloadable game logs
Yes, this would be nice for post-game analysis
15. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
Low priority since I hardly meet these kind of people.
16. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
Do not need.
17. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
Do not need.

My username is Diedre. I already bought a subscription for this year. But it would be nice to have it extended to June 2019 :)

Keep the good work, Stef!

yevgenovitch

I'm yevgenovitch
Most of my play is against the bots, so I am strongly in favor of items 1,2,and 3.  The current bots all seem to have the same strategy, and they all overuse/misuse some cards (such as Counterfeit) while completely ignoring many others (a bot game with Castles is almost an automatic victory). 

Could be nice for experienced players, regardless of skill level, but not that big of a deal

This is working fine for me as is

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.

These would both be nice

Not an issue for me

Too much animation can end up being a distraction

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...

A definite must-have, particularly with split piles. Newbies I've played with get confused with these.

10. Option to hide the log

Would be nice when playing on a smaller device, if for no other reason than to expand the main screen

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)

Improved compatibility would be nice.  One suggestion I have would be to slightly increase font size of the number telling how many of a given card you have in your hand.

13. Downloadable game logs
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)

Not an issue for me

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.

Useful for new players.

katie_mi

player name katie_mi

I'm not interested, as I want to play against real players

same as above, not of interest to me

3. A strong bot.
same as above, not of interest to me

not important for me

I'd like to have a matching feature where you match players who accept an undo or don't. Another option would be to have an automatic undo granted as long as there's no new information as it it handled on other platforms. No undo else.

No need for me

I like have the option to invite friends to my table or restrict tables to friends only. Now I don't use the table feature because I want to have a choice who I'm playing with in sort of level, friends etc. I liked how the tables were handled at GOKO. You could set up a table and specify your conditions for joining and the table owner had to approve.

I play in English

Yes, I think getting away from the log would be good. Neither MF nor Goko used a log for the game, so shifting the focus back to the game and away from the log would be a great improvement.

Showing the content of split piles should be improved.

If the game can be played with out the log it would be good.

If the existing bugs are removed (like sorting the cards) I don't need an app.

I don't have Iphone

I don't need that

If the tables were improved as suggested and I can select who I will play with, I don't need more moderation

I think it would be useful for new players.

I think it would be useful for new players.

Serikosia

Hello Stef!  First of all thank you for making a playable product.

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots -
Low priority.  I like playing against humans.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles - See 1
3. A strong bot. - see 1
4. Options for timed games - Eh?  While that would encourage some strategy paths over others, and *some* users would stay on their toes more, it's not imperative.
5. Options for undo settings - Yes please.  User-settable "no Undos allowed", "No Undo by mutual agreement"
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. - Yes!  Fun!
7. Option to invite specific players to your table Oh yes please!

8. More translations (to what language?). N/A

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...  No thanks
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...  Yes please.  I need to see everything I can see when I play IRL, including what is under my Archives, where all the tokens are, what piles have been "broken".

10. Option to hide the log - will help for training for IRL games.  Like.

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - My personal productivity would approach zero.

13. Downloadable game logs - Yes please.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) Necessary.
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - N/A
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. N/A

Icehawk78

Username: Nicholas Galauxy

Regarding the posted list:

Not sure that I would ever play campaigns, unless I was *really* bored. Vanilla offline play against bots would be much more likely to be used, but only in a mobile setting, as the only time I would want to play against bots is when my play is going to be too asynchronous to play against a real person.

I have Androminion still installed on my phone for when I'm on the train or in meetings at work and want to play but at any time might have to set my phone down and stop playing for 5-30 minutes.

3. A strong bot.

These are sort of one and the same to me - if it was possible to have different skill levels of bots, that might be nice for players to sort of "level up" their skill. Personally, I basically only play against Ratty when developing my chrome extension for the site, because the play style simple isn't especially interesting against the bots right now.

That having been said, I'd still likely prefer to play against humans in nearly all cases except with offline/asynchronous play, so I'm not sure how high a priority for me this would be.

I would never do this and would want the ability to actively turn this off for matched games. The current turn delay timer is the most I would want for a timed game.

This would likely be a low-priority nice-to-have for me, similar to the autoplay that was recently released, ie: I'd never prioritize it, but once I have it I'd probably appreciate and enjoy it.

Kinda indifferent towards this. I might participate if they were advertised, but it wouldn't personally influence me either way.

100% want this, in addition to other ways of communicating with logged in players. I have ~100 people on my friends list, and maybe 0.1% to 1% of my games ever are me seeing them logged in and then joining a game with them, especially because right now to do so, you effectively have to join an in-progress game and then say "hey, want to get rid of whoever this other loser I don't know is and play with me?"

And that both feels rude and is kinda awkward. So, I like this, but would also strongly pair this with some other friend-list related features, like "random pair with someone else on my list who wants to play with friend-people" and "friend-list broadcast" and "other out of game chat" and the like. I can see ways that could go badly, but a lot more ways it can go well.

Nicer to have a wider player base to play against, but my primary language is English so this won't directly affect me.

If this can be disabled, then maybe. It does feel like this would need to be a priority for a stronger focus on single-player/bot games, since Ratty's turns currently happen instantaneously, but the quick pace that the lack of animations currently provides is a strong positive for me.

Given that I've explicitly worked on a Chrome extension to help with this, I think this would be a major quality of life improvement. There are several things that could help with this (making the split pile randomizer cards available, the same way that Castles/Knights' randomizers are, utilizing the mini-reveal area like is being done with Druid, updating the card models to track which piles/zones they originated from, etc) both from a third-party developer perspective as well as from a first-party development perspective.

(Also, 100% of my dominion-related code is open-source, so feel free to borrow/reuse any of it that might be useful, if you're at all interested.)

I would never use this option.

I would use this all the time. Androminion feels like a major step backwards every time I boot it up, but it's the only way for me to Dominion on-the-go, so it stays around. One feature that should almost certainly be included would be integration with randomizer apps (specifically, Jack of All Dominions) if kingdom randomizer settings aren't added.

I would never use this.

I would love to work on a game analytics platform based on log parsing. If at all possible, it might be nice to include an explicitly machine-readable set of a logs in addition to the more commonly useful human-readable logs.

I haven't personally encountered much issue with this thus far, with the existing blacklist functionality. If it improves the community overall, then yay?

I would never use this, but I suppose getting new players in is good.

---

Other suggestions:

- Sticky table rules
When I change a setting on a table I've created, such as marking a game as ranked, or deselecting random start, those should stay the same the next time I create a table.

- Additional Kingdom Randomizer Options
This is definitely more of a casual player request, but the wide availability of randomizer apps on mobile for things like "I want a kingdom with at least one source of +buy, and at least two non-standard treasure cards" would imply that many people would like this.

Additionally, I remember one particular setting that I used extremely frequently on Iso, which was generating a kingdom with 10+[number of players] cards and letting each player veto one kingdom card.

- Non-standard Variant Rules
Allowing (for non-rated games) things like "stack your starting hands" or "always have identical start hands". (I'm aware that DXV is against this so it's unlikely to happen, but this is a place for feedback, not things I necessarily think will happen.

Serikosia

Often requested:  "Ban a card by mutual agreement."  (e.g., Can we agree not to use Rebuild?)

Harimurti

also ich weiß nicht woran es liegt, aber ich habe fast immer die gleichen karten, dien event und lanmark karten sind so gut wie gar nciht mehr gekommen, und wenn dann immer nur die selbe karte.

50 euro ist für das jahr einfach zu tuer, das werde ich mir nciht leisten. habe dominion also boardgame mit allen erweiterungen und jetzt nochmal für alles jedes jahr zahlen in dieser höhe, ist einfach zuviel.

Translation by Ingix:

Not sure what the reason is, but I almost always get the same cards, events and landmarks almost never appear and when they do, it's always the same card.

50€ per year is to much, I'm not going to pay that. I have Dominion as board game with all expansions and now paying 50€ again for everything every year is just to much.

ryan.echternacht

I'm ryan.echternacht on MF and the new client.

I'd prioritize this lowly.

I'm, personally, more interested in an open bot SDK that would allow me to try to build my own. I'd be happy to collaborate on this. (I'm a dev, and know Icehawk78, the King's Courtier dev, irl).

3. A strong bot.

I'd only experience this if I played campaigns.

Hmmm. I understand the pain when the 15 min game you expected take 30-40 minutes. That said, I don't know how to implement this fairly. If this is turn based, I think everyone deserves a long turn or two across a game. If this is game-based -- every board is different, so I don't see how you do this fairly.

I imagine people ask about this for 2 reasons, and it'd probably be worthwhile to figure out which one is more important (and which one, if either, you'd like to address) -- am I upset because I wanted a 15min game and it's 35min instead, or am I upset because I think my opponent is playing slowly (especially if s/he is getting attack prompts which keep interrupting my turn).

I'm a chronic undoer, so I'd never restrict these options. That said, there are probably 3 undos --
1) I committed a whole action and changed my mind. If people want to block this, I think we have to accept it.
2) I'm halfway through an action and changed my mind (especially when it involves choosing things). I would like to preserve my ability to undo these
3) I messed something up technically. These are the most frustrating, and I think you're already trying to fix these. Not sure how to handle these.

If possible, it'd be interesting to implement an "auto allow undos without new information", but I imagine that would have a ton of corner cases.

This could be cool. I would probably use this.

This would be nice. In general, I think the friends list has a lot of improvements (smarter offline recognition, easier to start games, chat).

English is my first language.

This has gotten better. I liked seeing cards show up when cards like hunting party are played. Also, the log is a bit weak on these.

King's Courtier helps out here, but I think this is important. The enchantress improvement was great, but we definitely need more. Additionally, I still forget to call teacher a bunch at the start of my turn.

Nope, I would not use this ever.

I'm iOS

I didn't even know this was released. I already play too much, so hopefully you don't release this :)

Could be cool, and it might enable some interesting 3rd party applications. I'm doubtful I'd use it on its own.

I've never had an issue, so not sure how good this is (or how much it's needed).

I would imagine that most people play in person before moving online. I definitely don't need it.

If you know how to play dominion, I think you learn this in 1-2 bot games. I definitely don't need it.

Missinaibi

Something I would use occasionally. Most times I'm connected via WiFi.
It would be helpful to have styles identified and the ability to learn them. I use bots now only when I cannot give full attention to the stream of a game with another player, anticipated interruptions or a short time frame before needing to leave for an event/appointment.
3. A strong bot.
While I'm challenged by playing more experienced players with stronger ratings I don't choose higher difficulty bots. Not really sure why, just me. No need for this UNLESS linked to the bot style options it could help with stretching my play skills.
Yes, there are times when selecting random games isn't an option because I don't have the time for a slow player or cards with building options that require more time to select cards to discard or play in a specific sequence. Would need a timer on the screen so game time is counted down. Assume winner would be most points at the game deadline.
Humm, maybe? I usually prefer to play that undo's are limited to one for each player, which would really be an undo setting option I guess. If added, it should be set up at the beginning of play by the players or as a search parameter when looking for a game. Once set up and agreed on available options could be displayed when the undo is requested.
I haven't engaged in tournaments. A mini options could be less intimidating and a way to get started into using the tournament option.
YES!
No, English is my native language.
Not really. I can do without splashy graphics that distract from the game.
Yes. Would like to see both cards displayed with a right click, including details of the function of both cards.
MORE importantly - The ability to expand the discard stack cards. (If there's a way now I don't know it)
11. Option to hide the log
Maybe. I don't need it on my laptop as the screens are big enough. Could be helpful if I was playing on a notepad or smart phone.
12. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
Improved capability is critical with an updated online software. An APP might be needed to deal with small screen real estate.
13. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
No, I'm an Android user.
14. Downloadable game logs
Might be nice. Occasionally I'd like to study a log to learn how a player got the upper hand on me. The ability to store some would make that possible.
15. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slow players, ...)
I have used the blacklist and reporting functions when I felt there was behavior that exceeded my threshold. I have no idea how reported abuse is to be addressed by administration. I would hope that a player with persistent reported bad behavior would be barred from the game. Some people just aren't worth trying to keep as an active customer of the site. For slow play the timed force out does effect rating, if that matters to the player. Can you determine if a player is intentionally stalling in hopes the other player will quit first? If there is, then a stiffer penalty should be enforced and it should be a pop up screen so all players are aware of the consequences.
16. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
Yes. The adventures were helpful when I first learned to play and I learned a good bit by them. I have no idea if they are still out there as I haven't needed them. They could be a good way to intro new sets of cards especially now that additions add complexity to the play options.
17. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
Yes. same as above.

ozgumboots

Yes, this would be great and I would use it - mainly on a tablet, though.
Yes, I would love this.
3. A strong bot.
Yes, I would like different strengths of bots, including one stronger than the current one(s).
I would not use this.
I am find the way they are.
I like this option, but don't know anyone I could do it with.
YES! I would love to be able to create a specific game for me and a friend.
No need.
No need.
I would like to be able to see the bottom half of a split pile - the first time I played one I had to ask what was on the bottom as I couldn't figure it out.
Yes - it takes up too much space.
Yes.  I would use this.
I wouldn't use this.
Nice, but I probably wouldn't use this.
I haven't had a need for this with Dominion (but have needed it for other online games).
I didn't need this although it would be good for new players.  I learned to play before I found the online version.
I didn't need this.
Username: ozgumboots

kn1tt3r

User: kn1tt3r

=> certainly desirable for the game and client, but not terribly interesting for me.

=> Could be interesting to try things out, but not mandatory for me; for the platform itself very important I think.

3. A strong bot.
=> If there are to be bots, then there definately should be one that's strong.

=> Interesting option and would be fun to try out, but low priority I think.

=> Yes, please.

=> Not interesting for me, but sounds neat.

=> Sounds like a smart feature that complements nicely with the existing platform.

=> Not needed. But well... I'm German and I still play with the original English cards.

=> I think this is crucial for a more popular and wider spread client. At the very least it should make the log unnecessary. It should be customizable, however, to what extend you see the animations.

=> Sure. Almost a must, rather than a feature.

=> Absolutely. But all the necessary information need to be shown in some other way of course.

=> Don't really care.

=> Care even less.

=> I would be happy to have a viewable game log post-game at least. But sure, this would make discussion games and learning from them much easier.

=> Don't care.

=> Should be added, yes. Or at least link to some other tutorials.

=> Should be added.

bvannatta

Here is my feedback (user bvannatta)

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
Campaign against bots would be fun.  Don't care whether it is offline or not.

Sounds interesting.  I only play against bots, so the more options the better.

3. A strong bot.
Again, the more bot options the better.

Don't care

This is nice.  With a computer game, it is very easy to click the wrong thing. 

Not something I would use

English speaker

I have no problem with how this is set up now.

This could be helpful

Don't we have this now?

No interest

I would buy this if it were good.

Not an issue for me

I think most people on the computer probably know how to play.  If you did an app it would be a necessity I would think.  Just got the app for "Through the Ages" and the tutorial was what caused me to buy it, since I had never played the actual board game.

I would think this would be part of the normal tutorial.

Scott1

Here is my feedback:
My username is scott1. I use an iPad, the medium sized one.
I Hate the log, it wastes space on my small screen.
Please don't ever put a clickable option there. Too hard to click, and surrounded by clutter.
I almost always play bots because real people often quit, or play crazy slowly just to annoy you. Many trolls.
I want offline game as an installed app with good bots.
Thanks for keeping up with new cards.
The UI is ok, but lacks joy. I wish everything was bigger and more animated.
Pinch to zoom really screws things up.
Even if the app just showed the website full screen it would be a big win. So much better.
Here are the answers to your questions:

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
I want to play offline against bots, with my iPad. I don't care about campaigns.
Easy medium hard is good enough
3. A strong bot.
Yes
No
No, just always allow when reasonable
No
Low priority but nice to have
No
Yes
yes
YES one thousand times. Worst thing about the game is the log and the tiny touch targets of the questions that appear there. I have played hundreds of online games, never once looked at the log. It wastes SO MUCH screen real estate, and it is already hard to read some UI elements. Please get rid of the log.
No
Yes
No
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse,
No
No
No

Silly Walks

Rabbit of Caerbannog says:

I think you're doing great - no bad feelings here.

TOURNAMENTS
The biggest thing I would wish for is the option to do tournaments that give fun or valuable prizes. League tournaments based upon your rank/score. Maybe some prizes could be fun avatar settings, personalized animations, different backgrounds, and temporary use of sets you don't have (etc.). As an idea: I want to be able to create a set and have five other players in my league (relatively same rank) create their own sets, and round-robin best 2/3 with the six sets, randomized. Even if I don't own all cards, I want to be able to create a set for the tournament I play that could make use of any card. Maybe you can enter into a tournament only once a week, matched with anyone else who is in your league.

YES - VERY YES - NEEDED:

• Options for timed games
  • Online Tournaments and Mini-tournaments
  • Before game starts, players can switch out unwanted cards by unanimous vote

WOULD BE NICE, BUT NOT NEEDED:

• Offline campaigns... and if so, then better bots
  • Undo settings
  • Inviting specific players
  • Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents
  • Better smartphone compatibility

NOT NEEDED IMO:

• Bot improvement (unless you have a really cool offline campaign... but I'm not a big fan of any previous offline campaigns that were done, so it'd have to be different for me to think this is worth it.
  • Translations
  • Animations
  • Downloadable game log
  • Tutorials
  • Moderation (with a note that by adding a timed game option, no hands-on moderation is needed.

KR Patrol

My user name is KR Patrol.

I have enjoyed your interface for dominion.  I especially like that you changed the way MF handled resigning - there should be the same results for resigning or losing a game. 

To answer your questions:

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots.

Medium importance

Medium importance

3. A strong bot.
That would be great.

Medium importance

I would like more options for undo, sometimes you click on the wrong card.

Sounds cool, medium importance

Good feature.

I speak English only - not needed for me.

Not needed for me.

Medium importance

Medium importance

Not needed

YES please - that would be awesome!

Medium importance.

It would be especially nice to improve the ability to deal with those who use abusive language in the chat room.

Not needed.

Not needed.