feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

globetheater

Hi Stef,

My username is globetheater. I had all the expansions for MF and I also bought my subscription for 2017 (didn't realize I could get it for free!) so if I could somehow get a year added as well, that would be swell. I also bought a subscription for the first month of 2018. Here's my feedback:

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
This would be fun, as long as the bots were challenging (or could ramp up in challenge level).

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
I don't really care too much for this - I want a bot who pursues a strategy that wins. I remember the banking bot would just buy treasures even when it wasn't particularly logical to do so.

3. A strong bot.
Really important one. Someone should create a really strong bot that analyzes previous games (the logs are so precise) and perhaps employs a neural net.

4. Options for timed games
Yes please, though some games lend themselves to long turns. I try to be as patient as possible during games, but some people can take so long to move. I think the maximum time between actions should also be shortened (from 4 min or whatever it is to 1 min).

5. Options for undo settings
Most people don't know about the /undo thing, so it would be good to make that into its own button and improve the UI there.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
Online mini-tournaments would be awesome - official ones could give out longer subscriptions to the winners. I don't usually play with my friends online so the friend option is not that relevant to me.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table
I don't really have an opinion on this because I usually play random players.

8. More translations (to what language?)
I have no opinion on this.

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
I think this is fine as it currently is.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
Not being able to see the bottom half of split piles is annoying. When you click on the card, both should pop up.

10. Option to hide the log
I have no opinion on this.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
I don't use an Android, but I think an app is a good idea.

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
I would love an iPhone or iPad app.

13. Downloadable game logs
This would be great for building a bot, or for people who want to analyze their own games, but I don't think it's a priority.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
Does the thunderbolt do anything? I've encountered a decent number of chat abusers and slowplayers so I block them, but I'm not sure if anything is done to them if they end up with a lot of thunderbolts. Players with more thunderbolts could somehow be marked.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
I'm not sure this is necessary as most people start with the physical cards. Can't hurt to have this available though.

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
This would be helpful, especially for some lesser known features (hover over name card to see mat cards, /undo feature, etc.).

Best,
globetheater

phoenix9797

Hi Stef--
   Thanks for extending this offer.  I'm happy to give my thoughts on your asking points:

Not crucial for me.

Not crucial for me.

3. A strong bot.
Not crucial for me.

Extremely important!  In particular with respect to timing, there needs to be a "force resign" option for disconnection issues.  Even if it takes someone's computer 3 minutes to boot and reconnect, I don't want to sit around waiting for that to happen.  I suggest 30 seconds, followed by a prompt, when the opponent has disconnected.  That's enough time to log back in and continue if the issue was an inadvertent browser-closing (or something).  If it's a full-on reboot scenario, the opponent simply needs to be okay with resigning in that instance.

I believe that the default should be "no undo available if information was gained."  This default could be toggled to "off" to reflect the current undo procedure, if the players are playing a casual game.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
This would be great.  Particularly, it could foster actual in-person table top play for the game, which could be revolutionary for it, because currently the table-top (original) game takes a LONG time (compared to online) to set up and play.

Would be great for the idea outlined in #6.

Not crucial for me.

This could use some improvement.  I see all of the actions on my opponent's turn, but not on mine; other times, I need to check the log just to see what happened.  Speedy motions that convey what's happening would be great.  Old Goko was actually really good in this respect.

A second REALLY important item: PLEASE REMOVE the "actions / buys / coins" count for my opponent from on top of the kingdom cards during my opponent's turn.  There is ample space off to the side for a permanent counter of this sort; it is very frustrating to try and look at the kingdom cards (And plan my next turn) when the opponent's counters keep popping up all over the cards.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
Yes, a better view of what's on mats would be very nice.

This would be nice.

Not crucial for me.

Not crucial for me.  But improved performance for the iPad would be nice.

Would be nice.  Would be extra nice if the downloaded log could be fed through the actual game interface to "replay" the game, play-by-play, with arrows to click through the turns and moves.

I haven't encountered chat abuse for a while (although I've blacklisted A LOT of players early on for it, and I occasionally still run into a slow-player.  Slow-playing can be handled by implementing the timer (see #4).

Not crucial for me.

Not crucial for me.

Thanks!  (Username: phoenix9797)

Malta

I bought an extension for my subscription already, but would be interested in the extra half year.

Personal wishes:
More customization of the games has always been high on my wishlist. Could be adjusting kingdom size and number of empty piles that will end the game, increasing number of cards in the VP piles, removing Province end option if Colony is present.
Standard options that will be there when you return to the site again.
Communication or at least some kind of interaction with the people you know in the game, so you can more easily set up games with them. Maybe also a "reserve for friend" option on the setup screen, so you don't have to kick out strangers that are faster than the friend you're there to play with. :-)

1) Would be fun. I miss that.
2) Definitely something that would make it more fun.
3) Certainly good, though if the AI is improved enough, it may also be necessary to give newer players the option of playing against a bot around the current level.
4) Probably not too crucial for me personally.
5) Would be nice.
6) Sounds good, but also like something that might be complicated and take time away from more important tasks.
7) I guess I already asked for that in my personal wishes.
8) Personally, I don't need it. You could try doing a Klingon translation for the trekkies. ;-)
9) Hm... Not sure this is badly needed.
10) I think these may be good enough already, but if it's not too much work, perhaps.
The other 10: Not a priority in my book.
11) Cool, though it may be a lot more difficult enjoying the game on the phone with the limitations it presents.
12) Don't have that.
13) Interesting. Would be a nice bonus.
14) So no more panzer9 types? That would be nice. :-) But the blacklist does at least help a lot.
15-16) Not on my wishlist. Perhaps just link to http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/ and similar sources instead?

Tignasse Verte

Hello,
my Username is Tignasse Verte
Here are my comments.

I definitively want to play campaigns againsh bots.

Yes, that will change the games, I guess.
I wonder what the different play styles would be, though. Agressive ? Builder ?

3. A strong bot.
Yes, there is a need of a strong bot, if a strng bot means a smarter bot.
For ex : when the chapel is in play, the current bot will always buy the chapel first, whenever the cost is. Even if the bot has 5 coppers, it will buy it 5 copper, such a waste.
Do actual bots knows that after 5 coppers the first time you always got 2 coppers the second time ?
(and the same with 3/4 and 4/3 ?)

What do tou mean by timed game ? The entirely game is timed, or each round is timed, or else both ?
For bot games I don't really see the point. For games against human, it could sort out afk humans.

I am not for that kinf of things. You missclick, your fault. End of the story.

I don't really mind, I am more a anti-bot player ;-)

Same as 6.

I don't need it, I guess.

I don't care, the current animations are ok for me.

Same as 9. ok for me.

Could be handy, but not a must have.

I don't need it.

I don't need it.

Whether I feel the need to have log, I should copy and paste...

I am more an anti-bot gamer for now, so I skip this one.

I don't need it.

I don't need it (at least for the current version... who knows !).

cw123

Hello

My user name is jewofsteel.

Thanks for the generous offer.

I work in higher education and I use your site to play a quick game of dominion to clear my head between classes.

I don't want anything but quick way to play a good game.  I think you've done a great job to date, and I don't have many suggestions for you because I'm good with where you're at.

I find the interface easy.  I like the back ground.  I mute the sounds.  I don't chat much.  I have no interest in quests.  I occasionally play the bot.  It's fine.  Not the sharpest player, but fine.

So I totally understand if this level of feedback doesn't qualify me for a few more months with expansions --I'm sorry I can't afford a subscription right now.  We have some unfortunate medical bills due.

Basically I like what you've done.  I wouldn't change a thing.

thechick

This would be great for since a lot of friends that I play with are in different timezones.

Not really applicable to me.

3. A strong bot.

Really not something I care about.

This would be incredibly useful for games with random players. Ticket To Ride and other online board games have it and it is a very useful feature.

I would use this with friends. With random players I can imagine it being easily abused.

Yes and yes. This for play with friends.

Again this would be wonderful for play with friends. It is a pain to have to kick random players when I am waiting to play with a specific person.

Not useful for me.

Not particularly useful. Also it would slow the game down.

Not important to me.

Also not important.

This would be wonderful. It was one of the reasons I gave money to previous versions of Dominion.

This would be great so long as players on different platforms can play the game together.

unimportant to me.

I think that the timed games would take care of most of this problem. Slow players are annoying.

The playthrough tutorial in the last version of Dominion was incredibly useful for introducing the game to new people.

This could easily be the same implementation as the How To play Dominion tutorial.

Username Thechick

Horist

Username: Horist

Important to me from your list:
1. Option for timed games
2. Iphone App
3. A strong Bot

Also important to me:
4. Change how 3p works slightly in leaver situations.  With a stronger bot in play, the winner can get the win+bonus (like 1.5), the 2nd place person a win, and the quitter 2.5 lost.
5. Implement a "I am here" function (kind of like the "start game") where if when the game starts if a player doesn't click it within 30seconds the game is over and give something like a half win and half lost to the 2 players.  It it slightly annoying to wait the full time to make someone resign who never will play 1 turn.
6.  A global chat log, similar to GOKO.  I understand this would require people to moderate, but I really miss this.

Besides my wish list, I really enjoy playing on the client.  Thanks for all your work.

SkyHard

Username: SkyHard

An absolute must for me.

Would be really nice.

3. A strong bot.

Would be nice.

I don't need it.

Don't care.

I don't need it.

Needed.

I don't need it.

Yes!

Yes!

Yes.

Would be nice.

I don't need it.

Nice to have.

I don't need it.

Would be nice.

I don't need it.

Matt Arnold

My MF username was matt dot mattarn at g m a i l dot com. My priorities in order of preference, most valuable first:

2. Option to invite specific players to your table

3. Options for undo settings (An autoplay setting to auto-grant undo requests, unless my opponent drew cards or otherwise learned information)

4. Improved Android compatibility (in the Android web browser rather than an app, ideally)

5. "Grand Tour" Card Selection Option. I want to play with all the possible cards as often as possible, and minimize how often I play multiple games in a row with some cards the same as in the last game. The purpose of the Grand Tour button in the card selection screen is to treat the card selection screen like a deck of blue-backed randomizer cards, with a discard pile for randomizer cards that have been used in previous games, a set of randomizer cards to be used in this game, and a draw pile with randomizer cards that have not been used but will be in a future game. Depleting that pile ends the "Grand Tour", and shuffles the discard to start a new draw pile.

6. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... (Specifically, a great big IT IS NOT YOUR TURN signal, like a different-colored background behind your hand. This indicates while you were responding to that text, the bot just played Bishop or Masquerade, so you might not want to click your best Action.)

Willemien

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
Mostly appreciate, that was what I liked a lot in the old game.
rather a bot that adjust to your level of playing, so you'll win about 40% off the games.
3. A strong bot.
see point 2.
no need
Only if you didn't got a new card (other wise you now that it was a bad choice)
No need for me
no need for me
Dutch would be nice, but I understand English also.
Not better, but more vissble, I have to look in the log a lot to see what happend.
yes please! And also the trash pile, native, pirate coins.
Yes
No
iPad please
don't know what you mean.
Yes, that's why I rather play with bot's, faster and not leaving the game.
no need for me
no need for me

With the tournament the bot never buys the special cards. And also the bot is not very smart in trashing cards (doesn't use the remodel, sentry, ratchatcher and the raze), also he doesn't use Page and Peasant. When all the curses are gone the bot still discards 2 cards from his hand when you play the forturer, instead of choicing a curse.

Greetings Willemien (also my user name)

neatlynoted

Hi! Thanks for extending the free time; I super appreciate it. My username is neatlynoted.

------

YES! This is my #2 request.

As in, the Bot tries the capitalist "buy silvers then golds then provinces" strategy, vs tries the "some form of village and some form of smithy" strategy, vs tries that "ambassador ambassador" strategy, that kind of play style? Sure, that would be super neat. Like "risk-averse bot" and "confrontational curse-dealing bot".

3. A strong bot.
Yes, I would very much appreciate this.

Nah, it works fine for me as it is.

Nah, it works fine for me as it is.

Eh, I'm more interested in one-off games than in tournaments.

Yes, this would be very helpful! I have one or two friends that I'd like to be easily able to connect with, and I don't like feeling rude when I displace strangers who want to sit down at a random table.

Not relevant to me personally.

Nah, it's working fine for me as it is.

Being able to see the other half of the split would really help.

No, I love the log.

Not relevant for me personally.

YES, PLEASE! This is my #1 request.

Nah, I probably wouldn't use it.

Fortunately, not something I've interacted with much. I only play with friends or bots.

Nah, my friends and I know how to play. :-)

I think the interface is super easy to read.

Thanks, and keep us all posted if you need more feedback (e.g. in poll format)!

WhyMan

Hello, Stef:

I enjoy the game, thanks for making it. My username is the same as my forum username.

I usually have readily available online access, so it is not important to me.
   I play exclusively with bots. Anything to change them up would be great.
3. A strong bot.
  I play exclusively with bots. Anything to change them up would be great.
  Timed games stress me out, so no.
   They seem fine the way they are.
   Sounds neat, but I would not likely use it.
   I might actually play other people with this option.
   Sadly, I only read English. Pig Latin?
   After playing a lot of consecutive games, it would be nice if I could speed up the animations to blast through the games faster. I typically use the logs to see what the other players did on their turns if I need to know.
   Sure
  I read the log during a game a lot, so no.
   I would be excited for a good cellphone optimization.
   I would be excited for a good cellphone optimization.
   I am ambivalent to the logs once the game is done.
   I do not typically play with people, but on another online game I played, the other players could vote out a missing player. Once they got voted out a 2 minute timer would start, and if the player didn't make a play during that time, they got booted.
   I don't need it, but I could see its value.
   Something not too elaborate would be nice.

Cheers

bananny

I'm Bananny :)  I've used this name since Dominion was a free game on some guy's personal server years ago ;)  I also already (painfully) paid for 2018, so a 6 month extension would be nice please!  I wish this would have come up sooner before I had to pay :(

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots - Yes, yes, yes!  I would love this!

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles & 3. A strong bot. - Yes again!  The current AI is weak and even though I am still entertained, a stronger challenge or alternate strategies with my pre-con decks would be really fun!

4. Options for timed games - Meh, I don't think I'd ever use this.

5. Options for undo settings - I like having undo while I'm playing AI because they're practice games and don't count for anything.  I think that undo should be limited to ONE when playing a live person.  I don't care if you misclicked.  If you're playing live, you should be paying attention to what you're doing out of respect for your opponent.  I've always allowed one just to be nice and that's it.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. - This would be great!  I would definitely enjoy giving this a try :)  I think you should also give the option to allow players you don't know to enter your tournaments with parameters to block people that have been reported X amount of times by others or narrow down player levels to your specifications.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table - YES!  I have been talking to my friends that I play Magic the Gathering with about Dominion and getting them on the same table as me to teach them would be awesome!  Pulling out my physical expansions and setting it up is such a hassle.

8. More translations (to what language?) - Not an issue for me.

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... 10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... 10. Option to hide the log - - No offense, but the platform that MF built was way better.  It looked a lot more professional.  I know nothing about programming, so I don't have any clear suggestions for how you can improve it.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) - Yes please!  I play on my tablet frequently and the browser gets annoying.

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - Not relevant to me.

13. Downloadable game logs - I doubt I will use this.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) - I rarely play live people because most of them suck, so not relevant to me.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion & 16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. - I think this would be great for new players to get them into the game.  I doubt I'll use it.

I would also like to have the ability to save my kingdoms and load them quickly.  I have them manually typed out to copy and paste into the select kingdom cards screen, but that gets really annoying and is a huge pain in the butt on my tablet.  PLEASE add this feature!

Once we have an offline client, does this mean the subscription would only have to be paid if we wanted to play online against others?  Once we own this software, are we set for life and will receive software updates like other programs we own?

I'm sorry I've been salty to you previously about paying for the subscription.  I know it's not your fault.  I appreciate what you have done and I'm really excited for the offline client!  Thank you :)

Last but not least, since I play bots frequently, I'd be happy to volunteer to play test any bot ideas you have.  That would be fun :)  I'm not the most amazing Dominion player, but I'm not bad ;)

crymeariver

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots - yes, the previous campaigns were interesting and challenging, but no need for a separate offline platform

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles - Yes, one which attacks, one which goes for big money usually, and so on. Diverse playstyles make the game more interesting as you're always thinking in the end "I should have just gone big money and this would have been faster"

3. A strong bot. - The ones in the original MF campaigns were quite good.

4. Options for timed games - I don't care much of it, the current options are sufficient.

5. Options for undo settings - Current options work well, or we can have undo button disabled when cards have been drawn. Though that has it's own complications though.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.  - Yes this would be very good.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table - Yes, or even enable creation of leagues and people from that league can invite each other

8. More translations (to what language?) - I'm happy with English, not sure which other language sells most Dominion copies

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... - Current animations are fast and good.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... - Yes, hard to see sometimes what you have on your mat (island) or what is the value of your miser card.

10. Option to hide the log - Does not matter to me

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) - I would not play it on a small screen

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - I would not play it on a small screen

13. Downloadable game logs - I'm not that scientific about my gameplay.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) - ability to report a player who quits too soon, or plays slow deliberately

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - not needed in my opinion

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. - not needed in my opinion

Gertrude5

This is Gertrude5. Here is the list of features I'd like:
1. An offline client with a bot with different settings
2. The ability to choose " allow undo"or don't allow undo.
3. An option to invite specific players to my table.
4. Visualization of split piles as well as hexes and spirit cards. I play on an IPad and can't see those things until I'm ready to buy them. Would like to see them in advance.
5. One thing not on your list....bring back possession or at least allow it as an option.
Thanks for giving us this opportunity for feedback.