feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

RedMcC

Hi Stef,

My two cents worth:

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots /
   - if it was combined with a strong bot and was sufficiently standard to be rated that would be good, but not essential.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
   Even better would be a Bot that analysed a human players strategy and modified the bot-tactics as required.

3. A strong bot.
   Stong bot is a good bot!

4. Options for timed games
   Yes two different implementations spring to mind:
    A. Each player gets a total time of x mins (ie. I just want a game that is between x -2x minutes long)
    B. No player can spend more than say 2mins more than the other player throughout the entire game (ie. penalise go-slow players).  This then allows for more complicated decks that do actually take more time per turn.

5. Options for undo settings
    Sounds reasonable (always allow, allow if no cards drawn, never allow etc...)

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.

That would be a fun addition.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table
   Not of use for me

8. More translations (to what language?)
   Hasn't been a major issue for me as an English speaker...

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
   don't care   

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
    Yes, Archive implementatoin as a priority!

10. Option to hide the log
    only to show something else briefly...

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
    Apple user here

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
    Not sure how an iPhone App would work...  iPad - sure :)

13. Downloadable game logs
    not a big one for me.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
    I've had a few issues with this but never bothered reporting as it seemed too hard...  So yes!

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
    sure...

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
    Sure...

My username: RedMcC

Dawn Patrol

Dawn Patrol here. I would love to get a 6 month extension. I bought and played Intrigue, Alchemy, Prosperity, Cornucopia, and Guilds expansions.

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots.
-- Not that interested. The online versions works just fine for me.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles.
3. A strong bot.

-- Yes, some variation in the bots would be nice. I did mostly bot play, which is much faster. Bots AI does some dumb things: buy Mint on first turn, obsess on buying Apothecary cards to the exclusion of anything else, buy Sauna but never the split Avanto cards. So smarter bots would be nice. Or faster people.

4. Options for timed games.
-- That sounds interesting. It would speed up non-bot play, wouldn't it?

5. Options for undo settings.
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
7. Option to invite specific players to your table.

-- Not interested in 5, 6, 7.

-- Non.

-- No, just slows down game play.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
-- After the first game play, splits are not a problem.

10. Option to hide the log.
-- How about an improved log with a chart that would show cards purchased by each player/bot? That just summarizes info already available in the log, but who wants to spend 5 minutes figuring out how many City cards the bot bought?

13. Downloadable game logs.

-- Nope to these.

-- Never really had a problem.

-- Not needed.

Other:
-- Easier way to chat with opposing player would be nice.

Thanks! Look forward to upgrades.

Rhun

Username: Rhun

1. An offline client is not a necessity for me. I appreciate much the human intelligence and versatility.

2. Cf 1. I do not believe that a strong bot can really confront human. Maybe with learning algorithms ? What is your IA ?

3. If you think it is possible :) Some IA becomes champion at go.

4. Not really.

5. I do not need as there is no serious reward in the ladder (free subscription for beat player as a sponsoring ?).

6. why not. Could be fun.

7. Naah. I got no friend.

8. Maybe french.

9. I cant see anything on my phone. So...

10. The split card description could be improved.

10. No, let the log ! It contains major informations.

11. Yes ! Yes ! Yes !

12. No ! No ! No ! (Jocking, but still no).

13. I will never DL anything.

14. Maybe a mute button. But its use would be quite rare.

15. 16. No and no. But it will not help gathering new players.

About the price: you should also ask things here. I am definitely sure that there will be some troubles: now I am waiting for game because every one want extention in their game. Few people with high price or a lot of people at low price ?

ltj

Hi Stef,

First I'd like to say it's amazing that you are looking for feedback. I was super upset when the game went from one time purchase to yearly subscription so I'm happy to help in any way as a fan of Dominion.

Most of your questions seem to ask about 'options'. Options are always good and rarely ever a negative. Some questions, such as which languages would be purely based on your clientele and the number of them signed up, of which I cannot intelligently answer.
For offline play, that is a nice option but I like playing people as that is the best setting for 'bots with different play styles' Yes various levels of bots are great.
I would rarely ever play a timed game but again, options are good if they are cost effective.

Tournaments are a great idea. When it comes to friends I can say this. I have a group of friends that would not sign on/up if they didn't have access to all the cards. So if everyone needed to own everything in order to play, that would not get my friends online. However, if we could all play using all the cards that one person owns, that gets them online and from there people would eventually buy their own copies. If you get them online, they are more likely to stay.

I like the graphics currently and I understand how everything plays.

Being smartphone accessible is great either improved compatibility or app.

Having a tutorial is always good for new players.

Hope that helps and isn't too long :)
LTJ

Oyvind

My username is Oyvind, and I think it was ØyvindSchiøtt at MF. I had to change it because of the Norwegian characters, so now I'm just Oyvind. I'm one of those who had everything that was available at the time on Making Fun. I have a gold subscription currently as well.

OK, here I go:

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
Yes, please! I love campaign style games.

Cool, but in no way necessary.

3. A strong bot
I really do hope for that!

Nah, it wouldn't matter to me.

Yes, if you by that mean that you can auto-grant if someone hasn't gleaned new information and auto-deny if someone has.

Sounds great!

Not for ranked play, but for friendlies, yes please.

Not necessary to me.

I don't know about better, but clearer would be swell!

Yes, please. I forget things like that all the time, and it's unfortunate having to go through the log to find info like that.

I'm perfectly fine with the log visible, but if you get to place more info on the screen, like additional cards that would be visible IRL, I'm all for it!

No such device at the moment, so, no.

An app would be amazing! I love the idea! And for iPad, even more!

Yes, that would be very nice.

I have no problem with that myself.

If 16 comes to fruition, I don't see a need for it.

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online
I wouldn't need it myself, but if you want to grow the customer base, this is sorely needed! I'd say that any self-respecting game company should have a tutorial for all their games, physical or digital. A couple of my friends not familiar with Dominion already have tried it, and they just gave up...

That being said, I think you've done a fantastic job with this assignment. There's still a couple of things I'd love to see, though, and that is to be able to play with Possession again, if the opponents haven't banned it personally. I'd love to be able to play with Stash too, even if it isn't that good. And finally, and to me more importantly: Have options to search for 4p, 5p or 6p games! Without all the set-up time and quicker turns (compared to IRL playing), I see no reason why multiplayer games wouldn't work in a digital game. I prefer playing multiplayer games IRL, and that should be easier, not more difficult, to do digitally.

Merry

Stef,

(Name is pizowned in client)

While I prefer to play online, good campaigns would also be really fun. However, I DON'T think the previous way of making campaigns was fun (giving the bots Silvers instead of Coppers or Provinces instead of Estates, etc.). Better bots is the solution (see below).

This would be nice, but not necessary. The best way would be to train the bots on each kingdom and have a competitive bot! Reinforcement learning, likely. This is challenging, but way worth it (it could even make bots better than good Dominion players) if you can get some outside help implementing it. This would allow all sorts of bot difficulties based on how much they were trained on a kingdom.

3. A strong bot.
This would be awesome if you could use Reinforcement Learning (see above) to train bots.

Cool, but I don't know how much I would like it.

I like the way they are now.

Really cool, I think me and the community would love this.

The current way is fine, though it can be annoying sometimes to have random players join all the time.

English is fine for me.

This would help me a bit, but otherwise a better log (i.e. choices on Pawn, Amulet, etc.) which details ALL player selections would be much better.

Yes, very helpful. All of these would be a great improvement.

Not needed, for me.

Not needed.

Not needed.

This would be really fun to have. Especially to where we can go back and look at previous games we've played and check out the logs.

As long as the "block" feature works as intended, I don't see a huge need. Slowplayers are the WORST...I hope that when they are found to be slowplaying they are banned for a long time.

Not useful for me.

Not useful for me.

17. Other
Improved stats would be really nice. Like wins/losses from the last 10 games, stats on card openings, stats on how many times a card is bought when it is in the kingdom, etc.

Thanks Stef! Hopefully you get what you need :)

nocto

Not essential, it'd be nice but I probably wouldn't get full use out if it unless it was a good story in its own right.

Not bothered. I like playing humans.

3. A strong bot.

Not bothered. I like playing humans.

Maybe, not essential.

Something like "only allow undo if no new info has been revealed" and only one step. I always let people undo but have only used it myself when I've accidentally ended my turn without buying or similar. Also move "view trash" away from "undo", I've clicked undo when all I wanted to do was see what was in the bin.

Something I would quite like to join in with. But without having to have friends.

Not interested really.

English is fine by me.

I missed the fancy sparkles on the old app, but wouldn't especially want them back. I would like the animations to go at the same speed and make sense all the time, sometimes the game seems to end and I haven't seen the last province bought (and that was how it ended) and the animation when my opponent swaps the teacher/champion set of cards seem opaque to me too.

The thing I would like most. I don't see why I can't see the Settler & the Bustling Village when I click on the pile anyway? I don't want to see the whole Black Market deck or anything but "which of the tournament prizes are left" would be about right.

Last year I would have said yes, but now I would prefer it to work better. I'd like to be able to click on the card names and see the cards in question. I'd like to be able to collapse the turns to make it easier to navigate. I'd like to be able to see my opponent's rating without scrolling right back to the top.

Not for me.

iPad app would be great, but the web app is now pretty decent. I'd prioritize a better interface for everyone on the web over an app to be honest.

I wouldn't want to use them myself particularly, I would like there to be options that enable others to build tools for analysis though, extended versions of what the scavenger site does now.

Not had much problem with either.

Not for me, though I think it would be useful to bring in new subscribers.

Not for me.

Dav3ywav3y

Dav3ywav3y

Yes, that sounds like it could be interesting. Cos since I lost the expansions, the Bots have just been Council-Room-spamming their way through every game, and it's got really really boring. Might be nice to try something different.

Again, could be interesting, but with only the Base Set to play with, it'd still get old fast. I've had the card version and the previous online version, he's not having my money again for this new version.

3. A strong bot.
Improved AI is long needed. Some of the things they do are just ridiculous.

Not something that interests me.

Sounds like a reasonable feature, and something I might use.

Not something I'd use.

I'm satisfied with the current ones.

Would be useful for cards I don't know already, but once learned it wouldn't have much effect. I wouldn't want you to focus on this one at the expense of other features above.

Not something I'd use.

Not something I'd use.

Not something I'd use.

I generally play against Bots or against people I know, so this wouldn't be something that would impact me much. But if I was to play with random players, I'd want to know I'd be backed up if something turned nasty. It's generally the reason I don't play random players!

Not something I'd use.

Not something I'd use, now I've learnt it already. Might have been useful at the start to get the hang of the interface.

smutje

. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
good idea
yes
3. A strong bot.
i think the bots are strong enough
not for me
okay for me
i dont want to play tournaments
yes please
there a translation in german thats enough for me
no
yes please
no i never hide the log
yes please !!!!

i dont need them
no
no
no

I like dominion

Smutje

Peter

Hi,

my username: Peter

Would be nice.

Would be nice.

3. A strong bot.
Would be nice.

I don't care.

Would be nice.

I don't care.

Absolutely necessary!

I don't care.

Would be nice.

Would be nice.

I don't care.

I don't care.

I don't care.

I don't care.

I don't care.

I don't care.

I don't care.

dadalu

Just losing all the sets I had purchased over time has been frustrating. I preferred how it used to be possible to purchase one set at a time – which meant I spent a small amount at a time plus it helped to get acquainted with the new cards, rather than having to buy for a silver or gold subscription – where my only option is to buy a short subscription if I don't want wo spend so much.

Comments on your points:
... would be a good option. On the old platform, I used to play campaigns off and on.
... good idea, but not so vital.
3. A strong bot.
... good idea, but not so vital.
Not something I miss
Not something I miss
Not something I miss
Never thought about that
Not something I need; I never changed to playing in my mother tone.
Not something I miss
The one thing I would find helpful it so be able to see the bottom card of a split pile; as I don't own these I don't see them that often, so I tend to forget
Might be handy when playing on my netbook
At this point I don't need it
As I don't own an iPhone...
Not something I would need
What has been annoying lately (before I lost my purchased cards): people who only want to play basic but don't resign but just drop
I personally have no need for that
I personally have no need for that

thanks!
dadalu

peetar

I'm glad to help you with this, i f you want to credit my account for the feed back it's: "peetar"

Note: I have not read any of the other replies, and although I've joined the discord a few times, I've been pretty disengaged from the community. 99% of the games I play are either against my wife or friends I'm in the same room with, or during lunch break to kill a few minutes.

I wouldn't use this unless it was on android. If I'm on my computer, I'm online.  Occasionally I still play the un-offical Android app "Androminion" to kill some time because it's quick and easy.

Giving the various bots different AI might be interesting. Allowing users to help improve existing AI or write their own would be really exciting! Imagaine a tournament of bots!

3. A strong bot.

I'd like to see the bot AI improved. Stomping bots is nice and relaxing, but sometimes they make moves so stupid it's frustrating.

wouldn't use

current undo is fine for me, but I don't play competatively

YES, would use this.

This makes sense. Sometimes people join my game when I'm waiting for my wife, I feel bad for kicking them

EN-US here, so I don't care

I have no complaints here. UX is pretty good except for a few clunky interactions with having to click things in the log.

There are a couple minor QOL improvements I'm sure you are aware of. Some issues around how boons are displayed. No way to see knights/Black market

Might help on mobile??

Tried playing on my phone once, terrible experience. Would use a re-vamped UI version on my phone for sure if the UI was extremely simple (text based like isotropic or Androminion)

Wife plays exclusivly on i-pad and it works great. She'd occasionally play on iPhone if UI worked

Probably wouldn't use, but also seems easy to implment

Never had problems, but I only play casually.

Would not use

Would not use

TO sum up my thoughts on Dominion offline:  I really love Androminion. It's a great way to just kill some time and practice against bots. And it has 1/4th the cards and functionality of dominion.games.  If you could easily leverage the code you've written for the logic/cards of the online version and simplified the UI down to text/minimilistic UI I'd play the heck out of it (and probably buy it from the app store).  I don't feel like I have a right to it because I bought all of the cards on MF.  I absolutely HATED that model. But I hate all game models where you pay for virtual goods. I don't mind paying for a subscrption or service. I don't mind paying for an app.

tassilo2008

my user name is tassilo2008.  Thanks for this option.

This client improved much over the year but subscription option for one year is much too expensive for me. I could imagine to pay this price for a lifetime option but not for just one year.

If there is any relation between the subscription price and how many new features, options and improvements are implemented then I would choose lower price and not any new features.

It seem I'm the most materialistic here but lower subscription price would have the highest priority for me. Then miles nothing ...then the other point:

0. work on /reduce price of  subscription.
ad said my highest priority otherwise no chance to keep me here (5/5)

3. A strong bot.
Do not often play with Bots. Maye I would if there are good campaigns, strong bots and different play styles

sound interesting as I like fast games (4/5)

it works fine for me as it is. (2/5)

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends
not so interesting for my ...I play with everyone who wants to play (2/5)

German and English is enough for me personally (1/5)

would be helpful, (4/5)

I like the log (1/5) but maybe there could be an option to see log an trash at the same time (4/5)

not relevant for me (1/5)

game log is helpful during the game but why should I download and save ?  (1/5)

there was already some improvement with blacklist but still some idiots. If it helps to get rid of them , then yes please (3/5)

I play Dominion for years an use the interface since beginning, so not needed (1/5)

Additionally maybe some option to mix and save different card decks would be interesting

clb

Hi Stef, thank you for this opportunity!

Here are my thoughts on the items you asked about. My username is clb

I am more interested in the offline play of normal Dominion games against bots (or pass-and-play) than I am campaigns. I likely won't play campaigns, but if there is an offline implementation, I would play that quite a bit.

This is interesting and useful, and I would enjoy playing against bots that emphasized different play styes.

3. A strong bot.
But this would be preferred over the variety of bots. Lord Bottington is good to have as an opponent, but I would like to play a bot that beats me often enough to help me improve my play.

I have no interest or need for this.

The current undo is fine. There are occasions where I wish I could undo a little more, but I have never wished I could tailor the undo settings.

sounds fun, but I'd likely not ever use it.

This would be more helpful. I don't think that my family will be buying a subscription, though, so it isn't a high priority for me.

N/A - English is my first language.

No, thank you.

No, the visualizations are sufficient, imo.

That might be nice (provided the log is not needed to complete actions)

Yes, this is like the offline option - I would like to be able to get in a game in line like I did with Androminion or the other apps. Though, honestly, I don't anticipate buying a subscription, so if the app doesn't offer a one-and-done purchase, it isn't for me.

N/A

I no longer dice into Dominion deeply enough to use logs.

N/A

N/A

N/A

Thank you!

Chris (clb)

dan

Hi Stef!

Shuffle IT username: Dan Brooks

New user experience:

It would be nice to have a process for introducing new users to the game.

For example, maybe a user gets a referral to the site, creates an account, and plays through a tutorial that explains the rules and how the site works.

Although I wouldn't use this personally, it would be nice for introducing friends to the site and growing the player base.

Mobile version:

The current site is 80% usable on mobile, I play/unrated games on my iphone. With a few tweaks to the layout, I think that the site could be fully useable on mobile. An app release is lower priority for me than some other features.

Moderation:
This has gotten better for me in the past few months, although it would be really satisfying to have a "report player" button for when it does happen.

Tournament/Friend Features:

Standardized/automated tournament settings would be really cool. I would play in these for sure.

Game Log:

The system as it's currently implemented works, and I don't see much need to change it. I definitely miss downloadable text game logs, and it would be nice to see those come back.

Bots:
3. A strong bot.

Over half my games are against bots, and I think it would be interesting to have a strong one.

I'm working with a few other grad students to build a competitive dominion AI.

Our initial baseline is a base set big money bot that we built a few years ago that focuses on buying good cards (Witch, Gold, Militia, Laboratory, Market, Festival, Smithy, Silver) and Provinces.

Now, we are putting together a model for playing engines. To begin the description, the basic stats on cards, like +2 action, +2 cards or +2 coins, are labeled. The expected draw of a deck is computed, under the assumption that draw cards are evenly distributed through the deck. The expected payload (coins, buys, gains, attacks) is computed based on the number of cards drawn and the availability of actions.

In the mid-game, the model is looking to maximize payload per turn. Early game, trashing is valued at a rate of 3 coins/card. Late game, points become important, as well as checking for pileouts (based on expected payload).

There are two areas in which we are interested in using learning techniques. The first is making tricky play order/buying decisions, such as deciding what card to remodel. Making the decision a few different ways and playing out a bunch of games is probably the best way to figure out spots like this. The second is for optimizing overall bot parameters, such as greening time, for a particular board or a set of boards.

Anyhow, if you're interested in discussing more, let me know.