feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

jschottm

Game account is the same as the user name here.

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots

Not at all important. Writing an AI that can play Dominion at a high level is a non-trivial task and playing against cheating AIs bores me.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
3. A strong bot

If you can pull it off, sure, but I'd prefer focus be paid to PVP play than AI development.

4. Options for timed games

Indifferent

5. Options for undo settings

An "always allow undo requests" option would be fine, as long as there was the option to turn it off during your turn if someone was abusing it.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
7. Option to invite specific players to your table

Very much want - being able to play with friends that have moved away and I'm unable to play the card game in person with is something that would be really nice.

8. More translations (to what language?)

Unimportant to me but German would be an obvious one to support.

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...

Don't care. I prefer no animations and just to display information quickly to speed up the game.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...

Important - not being able to see orange cards all the time is annoying. It would also be nice to see the buys/coins that the opponent is generating during their play, as that can affect one's next turn strategy if you know how much they're going to be able to buy.

10. Option to hide the log

Indifferent. I find it useful and have high resolution screens.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)

Would use if it were well implemented, especially if it were tablet-centric rather than trying to squeeze the game onto a phone. I'd mistarget too often on a phone to really enjoy it.

13. Downloadable game logs

Indifferent

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)

Thus far it's not been a problem for me.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.

Indifferent, but these questions are going to experienced players who probably can figure it all out.

Two comments:

1. I would really like an option for a house rule of allowing players to select whether they start with a 5/2 or 3/4 coin split. Certain card combinations means that a player that gets a better split is more much likely to win (e.g. Witch and Chapel, especially if the 4 cost cards are weak or don't make good combinations).
2. You might get many more players if the prices were lowered to the point you'd make more money with the same number of players.

GregDC

First I want to say that I very much appreciate the hard work that has gone into making Dominion online the great game it is!  There are zero people in my area that play/are willing to learn Dominion.  This is the place I come to have the fun of playing this game.  As to your questions, here are my answers to the ones that I have some input for you:

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
I would really love to see this become a reality!  I agree that the quality of the bots is critical.  And though it is a lot of work, it would be a big bonus if the bot AI could be multi-tiered. 
I really love this idea.  I use the online Dominion to get my head ready for the Con's I play in, so varying the style would be great.
3. A strong bot.
I said already being able to pick a bot-level would be excellent.  New players would be able to play against bots that aren't going to beat their butts every time.  The more experienced player gets to pick a challenge worth playing.
I am rather neutral on this.  I can see that adding the option could increase the challenge, just like a timed game of chess.
When playing person to person, I like this.  People, aka me, make less than intelligent plays now and then it is good to have the Undo option.  I would add a request to be able to replay the same kingdom against the same bots to try different styles and strategies.
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
I currently have no opinion here.
Yes, I like this idea very much.
I can see the need, but that is a LOT of work to do it right.  Please use native speakers to do the translations.  I only speak/read English, so the current setting is fine for my needs.
I would put this low on the task list.  I find the current animation fine.
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
As Dominion expanse with these options better visualization will make the online game playable.
Again, a low rated task for a change.
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)/12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
I would also put in for compatibility with Windows phones for the dozen or so of us out here that don't bite the Apple.

I really do not have any other input of meaning for you right now.

Again I will thank you for your work!

Greg DC

Morghas

Hey Steff + team,

I have been playing since goko and am a big fan of your client, definitely the best that I have seen. My user name is 'Morghas' I can never say no to a free 6 months, thanks for the offer, I would have done this anyway though.

For me the main thing about playing Dominion online is to play against real people in a competitive way and that seems to be your priority too, I always find games quickly, the server never drops out, the cards are implemented quickly after expansions, the game looks good and has a fairly intuitive layout. All this is good so if it never changed from now I would still pay for subscriptions.

The main thing that I sometimes have issues with is the log buttons, if decisions (like order of duration effects, or calling ratcatcher) could all be removed from the log and put into the play area that would be great. Also, I know all the spilt piles now, but it definitely feels bad that you cant see or discover what the second card in the split is until it is revealed so that would be a high priority for me.

It seems like bots are a high priority for you and I can see a lot of people have been asking for them in the forum but for me, I will hardly use them. I sometimes work on ships so the offline campaign mode would be good for that but its probably more healthy for me to stop playing dominion for a week or two... I guess I am saying that, I would use the campaigns but it may only be a handful of times for the hell of it, not often, I would also use the strong bot occasionally but again not that often.

Definitely would like to see the options to invite someone to a table, that would be more intuitive and less fiddly that what is currently available. A selective chat option on the main screen would be even better but I imagine that could be a much bigger task and maybe not used that much. I also would like to have tournament options. I love tournaments and organise a few real life tourneys a year. I dont know how much I would use the online tourney but having the option would excite me and I reckon I would use it.

Here is how I would rate things in order according to my wants:

Important:

I would use/appreciate:
3. A strong bot.

I wouldn't use but can see the value:

I wouldnt use and and dont care about:

Bishop_Zen

I have zero interest in this and I doubt I would ever play it. But I might only if it ran on my Android mobile. I have a Samsung A7.

See answer to #1. I have any interest in playing bots on or off line.

3. A strong bot.
I'm not motivated to play bots. I just like to try to improve my ranking against other humans.

Timed games might be great. It could be done something like chess with loosing on time a very real component. On the other hand such a feature might effectively split the community, and even fragment it further. Would it then take so long to find a match that some would quit playing?

Yes, this would be good. I've looked for this. It could definitely lead to more happy players if games could be set up to not allow undo at all or only in certain circumstances or only so many many times or steps in a game.

I would not use this. I don't have friends who play Dominion Online other than those I've friended here. And we don't arrange meet ups. I could not and would not schedule Dominion time.

Isn't there a way to message friends? There should be a way to view your friends list and message them while also playing or searching for a game.

I don't have any interest because my first language is English.

The animations seem fine to me. Perhaps a colour coded log would be a lot more useful to make it much easier to scan for certain events.

Yes, this should be much better displayed. Again the colour coded log could help here, but there should be elements on the main screen that show when there are cards on mats and how many. The interface should in every way possible make the same information as readily available as a game with real cards.

Well, this might be an interesting option, but I would not join no log games. I don't want to have to monitor animations that closely and have to concentrate so much on remembering stuff. It would, however, make for faster more challenging games, and together with time controls it might be something I would come to prefer. It would actually be more like a game with real cards. I've never played with real cards with log keeping! On the other hand this could also split the community and make it much harder to find a match.

I think improved compatibility would be enough. I've never been able to play on my mobiles, Note 3, J7 prime, and now A7, but I guess I've not yet tried on the A7 and maybe I never did on the J7.

I don't have one or plan to get one.

The ability to save, review, and share game logs would be great! Just the ability to copy and paste them would be the best! How about odds calculation in game logs! Maybe not in game, but something that could be run when reviewing. It could be optional in game.

It would be great to see ratings on other players based on how many others have them black listed or how many times they have timed out. In auto matches there should be an option to see these ratings as well as ranking and accept or reject matches.

User created tutorials would be great! They should be like presentations and there should be a searchable data base for certain cards and combinations of cards to find the tutorials one is interested in. There should be an tutorial creation facility where one can play a mock game with a custom set, or reuse/walk through a previous game, back to the saved logs, or simply lay out one or more cards, and provide text or audio comments. Odds calculation would be a great part of this. In case it's not clear what I mean by odds calculation, I mean shuffle odds. As each card is drawn or reveled from the deck what are odds that it is that card. This should calculated only against the draw pile, i.e. the last card in the draw pile before shuffling would always be 100%, but it would also useful to know in the whole deck a cards frequency.

As for a basic tutorial, I don't think I would have ever been interested. As for an advanced tutorial covering features that are not likely to be discovered by just looking around, yes. I still don't remember how to do the multiple steps undo that some use. Is there other command line like code available? Also hovering for info and right clicking for card auto default settings might not be discovered for some time.

I'm posting with my username, Bishop_Zen. Is this enough?

Chris Martin

Quote from: Stef on 09 January 2018, 10:33:57 AMOne day people bought Dominion from MF thinking they'd have it forever.
In fairness, we thought that because DXV literally said on BGG that once we'd bought the sets, it'd be endlessly free:
Quotehttps://boardgamegeek.com/article/9921197#9921197 "If you want to pay a monthly fee, just buy one large expansion per month. That's $12 a month, and hey then it's free once you have them all."
https://videogamegeek.com/article/10355962#10355962 "If you buy Intrigue then you can play the main set and Intrigue endlessly after paying for Intrigue once ever."
I get that that was DXV making statements that turned out to be untrue, not you doing so, but don't make out that this idea came from nowhere. The snark is unbecoming.

Anyway, my username is Chris Martin and here is my feedback:
1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against < I would probably play some campaigns for completeness' sake, but I wouldn't play offline in general.
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles < No interest in this.
3. A strong bot. < No interest in this.
4. Options for timed games < I think this is an outright bad idea. The reason is that some games are naturally longer than others. Players shouldn't be penalised for not rushing insanely just because they're playing a game with lots of attack cards. That's silly.
5. Options for undo settings < If you could set up an option to automatically allow Undos when there has been no new information seen, that would be useful. I would also like to be able to only play against other players who are generous with Undos.
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. < This could be fun.
7. Option to invite specific players to your table < I would definitely use this. It'd be much more convenient than the present system.
8. More translations (to what language?) < I speak only English.
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... < Personally I miss the style of Isotropic and would prefer to have no animations.
10a. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... < It would definitely be good to have more sight of these things. At present one has to visit a Dominion website to find out what the bottom half of a split pile does.
10b. Option to hide the log < The log is essential. Why would you do that.
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) < I don't need this.
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) < I don't need this.
13. Downloadable game logs < I don't need this.
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) < I feel like the current system is fine. You guys have been very responsive when I've had to report abuse.
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion < I don't need this (I hope).
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. < This would make it easier to play with my dad.

trulpen

I'm one of these users you refer to.

Username: trulpen

Might use it, but for me it's not so intriguing.

Not so much into playing with bots, but could be interesting.

3. A strong bot.

Could have it's use.

This would be good. Since total time consumption differs between kingdoms, maybe a set amount per turn could be good as an option. A timer for the whole game should also work. Perhaps with increment as in chess (Fischer time).

This would be good.

Would definitely be a fun feature.

Yes, I'd like that.

English works fine for me, so not demanded.

I think it's fine as it is.

Would be appreciated.

11. Option to hide the log

Yes.

12. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)

Will likely not use android.

13. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)

Yes, would like to be able to play on the phone or ipad.

14. Downloadable game logs

Don't think I'd use it much, but once now and then I might want to look into a certain kingdom and play and analyze it.

15. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)

Yes, happens that I meet abusive players and it's rather annoying.

16. Tutorial on how to play Dominion

Not needed for me.

17. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.

Not needed for me.

sunshinehippo

Having paid actual money to continue playing beyond January, I'm glad for the opportunity to give feedback, in exchange for additional time on my current subscription.
1. I'm happy to learn that the offline version is still in the works.
2-3. A bot with different play styles is intriguing, as is a strong bot.  I play many games with just bots, and would enjoy the ability to challenge myself. 
4.  Personally, I would not like timed games.
5. The current undo setting works for me.
6. Online mini-tournaments would be fun, but I would prefer to see a return of the campaigns, or something similar.  I enjoyed the opportunity to "win" game tokens, special cards etc.
7. I like the potential option for inviting specific friends to my table.
8. I'm not in need of translations, but appreciate your willingness to explore.
9. I'd like to see better animation.  I miss the old sound effects and miss seeing the bots' actual moves, step by step.  The log is helpful, but if I had to choose between a log and seeing the actual moves and cards purchased by the bots, I would prefer seeing the moves.
10. Yes! I really would like to see the opponents' duration cards.  It affects strategy.
10. Option to hide log - indifferent, unless it would give more space to see the animation.
11.-12.  Not applicable to me; I use PC and iPad; unless you would also create an iPad app. If so, I would want it to sync-up with the web version.
13.  Not interested in downloading the game log.
14.  The moderation has been fine for me.
15.-16. Tutorials: Would be nice for new players. The on-line game is rather intuitive for those of us who also play the actual boxed games.
Another thought:   
- When joining a table, could  there be some way to determine whether a host is in the process of creating a deck?  I have joined tables where the host is "not ready," and have waited for a while, without a game starting.  In those cases, I have left the table after a few minutes of waiting. Don't know what the host was doing.
Thanks!
Lynn Duvall
sunshinehippo 

juffowup

Game account is username.

I'd play this.

I'd use and appreciate this.  Ideally this could be integrated into the campaign to give it some flavor.

3. A strong bot.
Eh.  Stronger options are better, but I can understand that it will never really match a human.  The main thing that's needed on the current bot is to stop a few dumb things.  Right now the bot discards to torturer every time, so any torturer engine automatically pins the bot. 

I'm not likely to use this unless it becomes the standard.

Like a switch I can flip that says I automatically grant undo's that don't reveal new information?  That I'd like.  A nicer interface than /undo x might be nice too but I'm doing fine with it.

Yep.  Would love that.

I'm doing fine with the friends list as it works now.

Don't need that myself.

Don't care, as long as there's a very fast option.

This is huge.  It really sucks that players can't look at what the bottom half of a split pile is.

Don't care.

Don't care.

I'd use this.

Wouldn't use this myself but might appreciate the work others do with it.

Personal bans seem to be working fine with me.  If timed games become a thing, I'd like the option to put slowplayers on a clock.

Don't care.

Don't care.  The thing I would appreciate is a little splash screen when you log in to let you know what little features have been added. 
[/quote]

Mercury444F

Hi Stef,
I am satisfied with the current operating environment even compared with the old style.
I do not play bot, so I can not comment on that, but I will submit some opinions.

Undo when getting new information by draw etc. should be refused, but there are many people who do not understand this rule. I think that it is awkward to explain the reason each time and I think that it is necessary to announce it officially because there are times when it is not understood.

10?.
When selecting from multiple pieces like watchtower or archive, if the same card only is selected, the selection is skipped automatically, but this gives the opponent the information which it is not necessary to give originally There is also the need to check the log again. It would be better to be able to change the setting.

I hope this answer will be helpful for something.

darthnice

Quote from: Stef on 09 January 2018, 10:33:57 AM
3. A strong bot.

• I only want to play against bots, I don't like playing live games with people online.
  • Therefore, I want better bots.
  • I want to play on my iPhone without an internet connection, as I'm frequently wanting to play games on my phone where the internet is very, very bad or non-existent.
  • I want to play a game that doesn't require me to click on anything in the log, so the log needs to be hidden.
  • I also want buttons to never move. I've ended my turn/phase so many times without buying. Undo helps here, and is no trouble to bots other than I'm annoyed it is so easy to do the wrong thing. Real people would be pretty ticked off at me.

And my username is darthnice.

ChristianHauser

Username:  ChristianHauser
Email: hauser.chris@gmail.com

-- Would LOVE this idea. I typically play against the bots - more so than against real people.  Need to get in and out quickly and Bots provide this setup.

-- YES.  Love the idea.  See above.

3. A strong bot.
-- I've noticed that I ALWAYS win against the BOT when Counterfeit is a card in play.  The BOT doesn't seem to know how to use it correctly or wisely.

-- I'm fine with tied games.  A possible solution would be to award a win for whomever bought the first Prov or victory card.

5. Options for undo settings.
-- No.  Shouldn't undo...we're responsible for the cards we play.

-- Yes, this is a good idea.  Especially if the cards are the same.  Thus for 4 players you could have a tourney for 1 player vs 1 player, then have another table with the same cards so there is no bias.

-- Yes.  Needed and would be used a lot.

-- I'm fine.  English works.

-- the "end game" still bothers me.  It'd be nice to see the final play...before it displays "end game."

-- nope. what is seen works really well and is very clear.

10. Option to hide the log.
-- This would be nice...but I do like looking at the log and glad it is there.

--YES would love to play via a tablet.

--YES would love to play via a tablet.

-- No.  I'm not that OCD to need this.  Though I can see how others might be.

-- Yes. Perhaps a "counter" for folks to count down if they are taking too long.

-- Good idea. I believe the MF had this at a step by step process.  Very intuitive.

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.[/b]
-- Yes.  See above.

Other thoughts... 

1) I like the idea of playing "adventures" - against bot with different combination of cards -- going through a "journey" of different levels vs different opponents.  I enjoyed that on the MF site. 

2) It'd be nice to have a "reminder" of what the cards do.  While I recognize about 98% of the cards, sometimes I come across a little known Knight card...and I forget what it does. I always need to jump to a wiki site (e.g. http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Dame_Molly) to determine it's actions.  It would be helpful if this was contained within the game so I don't need to jump away from the site.

Thanks for stepping up and offering the 6 months for free.  Again, my user name is ChristianHauser

AdrianHealey

Hi,

My name is also AdrianHealey on online dominion. I just renewed my subscription for a year (including Nocturne). If the offer is still available, I would love some extra game time, but I like giving feedback regardless.

Here are some guidelines on the kind of feedback I'm looking for:
1. Try to keep it short & concise
2. Try to describe your own personal wishes, not what you think is best for others.
3. Please make actual points in these posts (instead of refering to earlier posts making points)

- One thing I am currently missing is the option to ban cards. (Or maybe I haven't found it?) I tried to make the cards I hate unfamiliar, but they still show up. (And it's not like a lot, just the usual rebuild, sauna/avanto, familiar, etc.)
- A mode where you can select a randomized kingdom where you can add stuff like (1) minimum one village, (2) minimum one attack, etc. This can be ranked or unranked, I don't care. I am here to play fun kingdoms, not to climb the ladder.

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
<= I would probably use it, if it was well developed. I travel a lot by train so yes.

<= YES.

3. A strong bot.
<= Same.

<= Yes, but not high priority.

<= Yes, would love.

<= Yes.

<= Not very important for me.

<= Don't care. My English is fine.

<= Don't really care. Everything is clear enough atm.

<= I don't care personally.

<= Don't care.

<= Don't really care.

<= Don't care.

<= Don't care.

<= Maybe, I haven't encountered a big problem.

<= Don't care.

<= Don't care.

Ingo E

Hi.
I am Ingo E. I really appreciate the new platform.
My prioritised items are: 1, 4, 5, 6, 10 and 14.

As I am a traveller, its not always i have a stable connection. I would definately use an offline client.
A quick option in a random set-up to rematch the same setup could be useful to master different strategies.

I would say, an adaptive with different rating/level would be better.

3. A strong bot could be fun.

Very interesting. But I would also appreciate a clear time frame for your turn in the ordinary game, or for your slow opponent. It should not be possible to make slow moves in every turn, when the other does not need much time.

Yes, definately. The undo make the game more like IRL, but not everybody want that, i know.

Yes, this option is very interesting and I guess my friends would also appreciate this to complete our IRL tournaments.

Absolutely!

Not necessary for me (Swedish is a small language)

Log is enough.

This is an appreciated improvement, I would say.

Personnally I would probably not use this.

Offline possibility is enough.

Dont use it.

Yes, please.
Yes. My blacklist is increasing and I cant say I remember who did what to end up there. Maybe add a list of reasons to the black list. Usually its slow plays and foul langauge.

To get new players, I guess this is a must.
[/quote]

schnort

yes, though specifically for iOS or android.  Though I don't really care about campaigns.  Or maybe I do.  I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'campaign'
yes please.  I really only care about playing bots.  i don't have the patience to play with people
3. A strong bot.
yes please.  I really only care about playing bots.  i don't have the patience to play with people
doesn't affect me, though I wouldn't use it.  I tend to get called away so I'd never set a time for my own games
seems reasonable
not a high priority for me
again, I tend not to play with people
n/a
might be useful.  things do seem to fly around and not be terribly clear
could be useful.  I tend to remember what I've princed, but the archive/crypt thing (and seeing the 2nd half of the split pile) would be handy.   I know most of the cards so it's not THAT high of a priority.
seems ok as long as the last turn was always available
yes.  offline app.   I want to be able to play on the airplane or in the car and not be tied to your servers.  I also want to be insulated from you going out of business.
yes.  offline app.   I want to be able to play on the airplane or in the car and not be tied to your servers.  I also want to be insulated from you going out of business.
people find them useful, but I don't really.
I don't interact much with other players except to kick them off my bot table when somebody sneaks in.
not useful for me
not useful for me.

pablominion

Hi,

My username is pablominion, and I'd love to have some extra subscription time. Below is the feedback, although to be honest, it didn't take me an hour (you did ask to keep it short), so I understand if you find it undeserving.

This would be the best. Especially to play when traveling or without a good connection (plane, subway, non-urban areas, all good candidates).

I think this would be nice, but not as important as the playing level of existing bots being more varied. Variety is important because otherwise, playing bots a lot trains you to play bots (for instance, you may spot a particular card combination that is killer for a few bots, and it makes you think it's really strong in general when it really isn't, or not as often).

3. A strong bot.

Most important feature on the list (linked to the above).

Don't care.

Current undo feature seemed pretty reasonable, although the ability to undo faster would be nice, as 1-by-1 movement can be slow if you realize your mistake after a few clicks.

Don't care.

I would like it, but it's not super important to me.

Don't care.

Don't care.

Don't care.

I don't want to hide the log completely, but better options to visualize the stuff that share the real estate would be nice (like mats and duration cards).

It would be important to me only if it allow offline play against bots. Times when I want to play from my phone and times when I don't have a good connection overlap almost perfectly.

Don't care.

Nice to have, but not super important to me.

It would be nice for me to know it's there, and it would make me play less bots and more people, but not a huge deterrent now.

Don't care.

Don't care.