feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverRapier

My user name is SilverRapier

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
      Yes, I would like an offline client, but I prefer it plays on a tablet or PC.  I am not concerned about the campaigns
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
      Yes, I would prefer different styles.  It would allow me to test different approaches.  An option for both  random bots or a selected bots would work
3. A strong bot.
      Yes
4. Options for timed games
      It would be nice to have a time limit for no action to prevent dragging out games.  I am not concerned about timed games.
5. Options for undo settings
      Nice to have.  Being able to go back to a certain spot in the log would be nice
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
      I would not use this
7. Option to invite specific players to your table
      Yes
8. More translations (to what language?)
      No, not an issue for me
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
      - I am not concerned about animations of cards as I play them.  More important is better animations of cards my opponent bought our gained.
      - A better way to see Boons and Hexes would be beneficial.  They appear then disappear.  Having not memorized all of them yet, I have to look them up
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
      - Improve the visibility of both cards in the split pile, it helps newer players (both should show when you hover over the pile)
      - Visibility around the tavern mat, reserve cards, etc. is not intuitive at first.  This would be nice to improve
10. Option to hide the log
      I would not use this
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
      Either is fine, as long as it works well.  So whichever is easier to implement.  If I am not at a PC I always play on a tablet and not my phone, so an app is less of a concern
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
      Not a concern for me
13. Downloadable game logs
      I would not use
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
      Slow play moderation would be nice
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
      No, I would not use
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
      No, I would not use

Things you do not have on the list:
1) Improve the calling of cards such reserve cards.  This is hidden in the log, and I wish there was a better mechanic.  One that reminded users of this option (or was front and center only at the start of the turn).  The same is true for several start of turn cards activating at the same time (e.g. you played Wharf and Ghost Town last turn).  I would put this high on the list
2) Option to have a warning if you "End Buy" or "End Turn" and still could buy based on your money.  This type of mis-click is the most common and would prevent undos.  Maybe this would only work if you had more than a certain amount of coin left

weilandb

I'm very excited to hear about the offline version. I was very upset when the old version was replaced. I'll admit it, I"m cheap and never pay for games online. But I love dominion so much, it was worth paying for.

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:

--This would be perfect for me, I prefer to play against the bots. Would it be possible for multiple users to use the offline version (i.e. an account for me and one for my daughter?)

-- A good idea. It would also be nice to have a "random" option so you don't know what the bot's strategy is when you start.

3. A strong bot.

-- In general the bots seem to be ok, but it's always nice to have the option.

-- I would not use this option

-- What kind of options?

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.

-- I only play against bots so I don't think this would apply to me.

-- Does not apply to me

-- Does not apply to me

-- I have no preference.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...

-- I have no preference

-- I have no preference, I rarely use the log

-- YES PLEASE!!! I would LOVE an App. it would also be nice if it's available on thru amazon so I could easily put it on my daughter's kindle fire.

-- Does not apply to me

-- I would not use this feature

-- Does not apply to me

-- I am very familiar with the physical card game so this does not apply to me.

-- I did not need it.

Other: Please provide an option to hide the scores of all players. Please show how many cards the other players have in their deck and their discard. Maybe provide a "thermometer" indicator for how large the deck is vs an actual number.

Thank you,

username: weilandb

P.S. My daughter is only 6yrs old but she love Love LOVES dominion. Playing together as a team online has been a great way to explain strategy without her getting frustrated.

GlassesMonday

This would be an interesting feature that I would use if it existed, but not essential

This would be interesting, particularly if you are able to play the same kingdom against different bots, but not essential

3. A strong bot.
I would value this as I often play bot games due to time constraints

Not that valuable to me

Quite valuable, I sometimes misclick when playing on tablet.

This would be a fun addition, but not essential

Highly valuable

Not necessary for me

I prefer streamlined aesthetics and want games to be a short as possible, so animations that add time are not valuable to me.

Yes, absolutely necessary.

Not important to me

Would use this a lot -- I often play on tablet

Don't have iphone, so no

I don't / wouldn't use this functionality

It is OK as is

Not required for me, but could be useful for friends

Not required for me

username: GlassesMonday

chadhogg

Well, that explains something.  A few days ago I could not understand why it would take forever for me to find a match, even when there were many other people looking.  I experimented with turning off the "wait for expansions" checkbox that I had never noticed before, and that caused me to find matches right away.  But it made no sense -- I had the expansions, so why would I need to wait for them?  And then I noticed that the randomly chosen kingdoms for all of my games in the past week have seemed extremely similar.  So that's it -- I do not (any more) have the expansions.

Username: chadhogg

Most of the features you are planning to add would have no effect on my usage of the product, except for these:

I've always assumed that this was possible, and that I was just too dumb to figure out how to do it.  It definitely should exist.

I want the opposite of this.  Long before I was a player at Making Fun / Goko I was a user of Isotropic, and it remains the best electronic implementation of the game because it could be mostly text based.  I understand that most people want fancy graphics and animations, but there should be an option to play a version that requires very little bandwidth / memory / CPU time.

Yes, but not just for the players of the game.  Make as much data as you can available through an API for people to work with.  The Dominion Salvager website made the Making Fun / Goko version of the game 1000% better.

What I would really like to see was not listed as one of your priorities: make it so that actions the user will almost certainly want to take more obvious and harder to avoid.  I can't count the number of times I have just started clicking on actions when my opponent ended his/her turn and lost the opportunity to call a Teacher.

Overall, I think you've done a really good job with the product, and it doesn't need much work.  It is already far superior to the previous version.

P.S. - I'm a crotchety old man who likes to own things and hates the idea of subscriptions.  I know this isn't going to happen, but what I would really like to see is the option to buy a lifetime subscription for a much higher price, coupled with a promise that if you decide to discontinue the product you will open source it so that those of us who have paid for it can host it ourselves.

Richard Gibbs

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
I may use it.
I may use it.
3. A strong bot.
I may use it.
I may use it.
I may use it.
I would not use it.
I would use it.
I have a lot of blind friends and run 64 Oz. Games, a company dedicated to making games accessible. If you could make the website readable by screen readers I would be able to point a lot of blind players your way.
No interest.
Yes, that would be useful
No interest.
It would just need to work.
No interest.
No interest.
No interest.
No interest.
No interest.

Morrison

Yes! The solitaire version of the game is terrific for playing at your own speed or when you're feeling antisocial.

Yes, please.
3. A strong bot.
Don't care.
Yes, please.
It's currently a little complicated and the number of steps back has resulted in at least once starting a game over.
Sounds nice.
Yes, please.
Yes, please.Yes, please.Yes, please. Just not something that heats up my phone and makes me delete every other app.
Other things I'd love: maybe a simple way to integrate with boardgamegeek to keep scores?

feralbones

Username: feralbones

I wouldn't play offline.

Would be good for practice.

3. A strong bot.
If it were intelligent enough, would be very good for practice.

Yes, I would use that.

Need more specifics would more settings could be useful.

Love it!

YES PLEASE

N/A

That could be fun

YES. And ability to see all the cards in a pile, not necessarily in order but a preview/spread of what cards are in the pile (Example: Prizes)

Oh my god YES.

Yes, would use.

N/A

Would not use.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes - though I think playing the online game is a lot different than the physical game, so I'm not sure where you'd want to put your efforts/resources. I lean towards Dominion online tut.

rchlfish

Username: rchlfish

1. I would definitely use an offline game.  Campaigns aren't important to me.
2-3.  I only played against bots and am happy with how they play.  The computer version allows me to use this game without any setting up or putting away of card piles and I really appreciate that.
4. I wouldn't time games.
5. I would like to undo things.  I have accidentally played all my treasures out of habit when I meant to keep one of them for something else (such as trashing when buying a Farmland).  Just undoing the previous action would be good enough.
6. I wouldn't play online in tournaments.
7. I like the idea of inviting specific people to games.
8-10. I don't have an opinion on other languages, animations, visualizations, or the log.  Those have all worked fine for me.
11.  An Android/Kindle app would be great.  (As a one time-purchase without ads)
12.  An iPhone app would be good, but I'd probably get the Android/Kindle first to try it out.  (Also as a one-time purchase without ads)
13.  I wouldn't download game logs.
14.  I haven't needed moderation since I have only played with bots.  I would only play with people I know if that was an option.
15-16.  I don't need a tutorial.

Thank you for this option to provide feedback.

3. A strong bot.

Tamuc

I'm usually online, but this would occasionally be useful

Somewhat useful

3. A strong bot.
I would love to be able to choose the strength of the bot I'm playing.  This would be a high priority for me.

This would be a good option to have.  I wouldn't use it that often, but sometimes it would be nice.

I think the undo settings now are adequate.

This would be very nice.  I normally just play random games, but being able to create a tournament with a few friends would be nice every now and then.

Yes, please!

Not needed for me.

I think current animations are fine.

Current settings are fine.

This would be a nice option.  I think I would still usually choose to show the log, but it may be nice sometimes to utilize the full screen.

N/A

Probably the item on this list that I want to see the most.

Not that important to me.

I generally haven't needed this.

I wouldn't mind some advanced pointers.

It's pretty straightforward.

My username is Tamuc.

BigDaddyG

Username: BigDaddyG

Here are some guidelines on the kind of feedback I'm looking for:
1. Try to keep it short & concise
2. Try to describe your own personal wishes, not what you think is best for others.
3. Please make actual points in these posts (instead of refering to earlier posts making points)

I would use this.

I primarily play Dominion as a form of meditation before bed, and over 99% of my games are against bots.

The current model which requires me to be online is fine most of the time, since I'm home with a wifi connection, but an offline version would be great for situations where I am without wifi

I'd play some campaigns, but I mostly play individual games, so the need for campaigns isn't a dealbreaker for me.  I like the repetitiveness of games - that is what is meditative for me

Sure.  I'd enjoy being able to choose playing bots with a particular style

I'd especially like this if there was an interface that made it easier to choose which cards we were playing with, and then I could choose different bots to try different tactics against

3. A strong bot.

I'd like this too.    In particular, I think the current bots don't play events well.

For example, if I play a game with Inheritance and Ambassador against bots, I know I am going to win, since I'm going to inherit a bunch of empowered Estates

not that important to me

yes- I would use this.  There are times I mishit my keypad, and I'd like to undo more easily

not that important to me

not that important to me

not that important to me

for the most part, not that important to me

this would help

I also think some form of better clarity for what is in the black market deck would be great

I think the current set up is fine

I use an IPhone and an IPad.   The screen on the IPhone is too small, so it'd have to be an elegant design to make that work.  I would use an IPad app though, especially if it had an offline option

I like the idea in theory, but I'm not sure how much I'd use it

Not that important to me

I don't need this.  Perhaps others do.  I feel like the online resources that already exist are probably sufficient

Would be helpful, especially for newer expansions

senneth

Current in game as: Babygirl, previously senneth. Personally, I like the minimalist approach. I like that it works, that it's fast. Android/Apple apps would be good. Improved moderation or ability to deal with abusive players. I think the game works well and I enjoy it. No major changes I would make, except maybe except public chat room where you can look for games outside matching. Mini-tournaments would be fun. Tournaments you can sign up for directly in game, rather than on the forum. The ability to change your username. I'd love it offline and I'd rather wait till you're happy with it than have it now. Thanks for everything you do for us.

Quote from: Stef on 09 January 2018, 10:33:57 AM
One day people bought Dominion from MF thinking they'd have it forever.
This turned out not to be true, and although I didn't think this was my fault in any way, unhappy Dominion players still made me feel bad.

Our idea was to compensate these users by giving them a choice between a year of online or the promised offline version. However, we failed to deliver an offline version until now, so this idea didn't fully work out.

I still really want an offline version, and when we get there the old MF owners will still get it for free. But this product does not make sense if we don't add campaigns first, and they don't make sense if we don't add a proper AI first. All in all it is much more work then I originally had hoped, and I now expect this to arrive in the fall of 2018.

------

I've come to the following decision: If you are one of the people for whom "free 2017" just ended, I am willing to extend it with another half a year in exchange for one hour of your time. The short version is "provide feedback and don't forget to include your username". Longer version below. The offer stands for anyone replying in this thread in the next 10 days and is only about expansions you once bought from MF. If you already bought a subscription for (a part of) 2018, I will extend it with half a year for the appropriate expansions.

------

Here are some guidelines on the kind of feedback I'm looking for:
1. Try to keep it short & concise
2. Try to describe your own personal wishes, not what you think is best for others.
3. Please make actual points in these posts (instead of refering to earlier posts making points)

3. A strong bot.

pyrotica

My username is pyrotica

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots /

I don't think this should be a high priority.

This would be fun for some but to be honest the online community is not currently lacking in opponents, I can at a moments notice play against another human which IMO is much more fun than playing against a bot. Although to be honest I did play the old campaigns on the MF client. Perhaps if you made there to be some reward for playing the campaign, like you get the latest promo card for free but only if you beat the campaign etc.

Again, low priority.

I think if you are going to have bots you will need to have a variety of them with all kinds of different play styles otherwise it will get old super quick to play against them. Also if you are going to do bots you need to have them of all different strengths - weak bots, strong bots, and everything in between. This is how the old MF campaigns stayed interesting, because the different bots you would play against had all kinds of different strengths and weaknesses.

3. A strong bot.

Again, low priority.

See above.

Yes this should be a high priority for you.

In fact I think it should be the default. Perhaps 10 minutes for each player for the standard game. Also you could run something like the byo-yomi timing system from Go where there is a main time and then a set number of time periods of a set number of seconds which reset when you finish your turn, but after which the game is forfeit. This would prevent slow playing. So then the default would be something like each player gets 10 minutes plus 5 periods of 30 seconds each to play. The host would be able to set the timing in the table, so you could have a long game or a blitz game or whatever.

High priority.

Yes I think this should be standard as well. You could see upfront if there is an undo allowed, if permission is needed, or if no undo at all. And you could change the setting for each table.

Low priority

This would be fun, I would probably use a feature like this more if there were online tournaments, like weekly tournaments at the same day and time each week, separated for different rankings like 45-50, 50-55, 55-60 etc. I dont have enough friends who are interested in the game to run a tourney at home.

High priority. Absolutely, this should be standard. As well you should in your settings be able to set it to auto-invite people when they come online.

I think you should although it wouldnt effect my game at all.

I think sound effects are more important. The animations seem fine for the moment. When you get too carried away with animations to the point that the game runs slow, it really sucks. The latest iteration of MtG on steam is like that, it runs so unplayably slow its just ridiculous. However I think sound is important. It provides your brain with information. The shuffle sound is the most important, but perhaps some small subtle sounds that correspond to certain things like +action, +card, +buy, curse, boon, hex, etc.

High priority.

Absolutely this needs to happen. Its playable as it is but to be honest its easy to forget what is where in the current version. Although it is understandable that the screen scales the way it does, there should be a way to change it. When I play on my 34" gaming monitor the cards are humongous but then some of them are still hidden. If the game scaled more intelligently, there would be plenty of space for all the cards at least on my big screen. You should be able to change that in the settings.   

Yes and it should apply to the whole table. The host should be able to change the settings much like they can change other settings.

Well right now I can't say its very playable on the android. I probably would use this, the web page doesnt lend itself well to little touch screens.

Nah just make the android app, screw those apple people. JK you should do a poll and find out how many of your users use apple vs android, make that app first, then the other one.

I would not use this feature.

Slow playing can be entirely eliminated by making timed games the default. Chat abuse is pretty annoying, probably because you have a lot of teenaged boys playing the game. I don't encounter it now as much as I used to, it has already improved. I'd say mods are good, cant hurt anything. Maybe give people free subscriptions for certain number of mod hours or whatever.

Yes! And it needs to explain key concepts, help make everyone into stronger players. Absolutely.

Nah its very self explanatory as it is.

A couple of things that I think should be implemented-

- Matching games should default to VP counter OFF. For god's sake, that's half the challenge of the game is trying to figure out if you are ahead or behind. Having it on by default really dumbs down the experience on average.

- On that note you should be able to match with a preexisting table, or have someone match with your table. That way you can host a table, set the settings how you want, then wait for someone to match with you. Also you can choose match settings when you select to match. Say rank 40-60, vp off, time limit no more than 10 minutes, etc. This would make matching games much more interesting.

- I am of the opinion that the payment system should never have been implemented the way it is. I realize that in this day and age you have to have subscription dollars coming in to stay solvent. However there might be a better way to do it. For example, a base charge to acquire the card sets followed by a fee. I was both pleased and butthurt when dominion.games came along because when MF went belly up I thought my investment was gone. Now I can still play dominion and in fact dominion.games is better than MF ever was. However, I am still butthurt that I don't get to keep the cards forever that I had already payed for (I had the entire set when MF went belly up) 

- In general I think you should focus on improving the online PvP aspects of the game, rather than offline.   Even though I stand to gain the offline for free when it comes out. ;)  Because playing against other humans is just better.

- In general I think you guys have done a great job. When my free subscriptions run out I can't say for sure whether or not I will renew because of the price. But I do play a lot and I will consider it, especially if you improve the online PvP environment somewhat. It is currently acceptable but certain things such as improved matching, time limits, sounds, etc are important and I would really be happy to see them implemented.  If you simply continue as is I think you will eventually lose players over time, and I would be sad to see that happen. Half of what is fun about your site is that you have a large and diverse player base and I can match with someone of similar strength any time of the day or night.

DarrenicusII

Game works well. The biggest issues I have are:

1. easy access to visualize the edge cases. ex: Native Village, Tavern Mats, discard piles, etc. If I'm going to play a Bustling Village or Counting House, I'd really like to be able to see my discard pile.
2. ability to undo moves that don't give me any new information. I should have to ask permission to undo playing a Venture or Smithy. I shouldn't have to ask permission to undo playing a Copper or a Remodel.
3. Stash. This is a cool card. I want to be able to play it.

From your wishlist, I want:

The rest is all equally low priority.

My username is DarrenicusII.

kilgoretrout103

Thanks for the offer, Stef--and thanks for keeping online Dominion running! My username is the same in the client.

As a preliminary note, the thing I most want is not on this list: some type of matchmaker that lets both players agree on the kingdom before starting, like we had on isotropic. Not all kingdoms are created equal, and I would love to be able to see what I'm getting into ahead of time, and re-generate it if necessary.

I don't think I would use this much, unless the AI got much better. Although it would come in handy on plane rides.

I can't see myself using this at all. I would just want the most competent bot on a given board (a huge ask, I know--Dominion strategy is hard.)

3. A strong bot.
Now that would be excellent. It might, say, triple my utility from Dominion? I like being able to join a game without pressure to finish it right away. (like if I expect to have to leave at any moment). This is probably the biggest programming challenge on the list but it is the one I would benefit most from by far.

I don't have any particular interest in speeded games, though I might use it if it were available.

I can see how these would be helpful. Mostly I'm grateful we have the undo option at all--a great touch.

This would be my number 2 priority, also by a wide margin. I'd be happy to see the community get more competitive.

I could also see how this would be useful, but I haven't missed it.

Not needed for me, but I don't see why my preference should control.

Zero interest. I keep the animations off. Really my goal is to emulate isotropic again.

Also don't care. See above.

Zero interest again. I play at the fastest animation speed possible, so I rely on the log more than on the images. Again, emulating iso.

I would love a mobile app. But I'm an iOS user so that's the one that would be best for me.

See above

Don't we have this already with the dominion log prettifier + save as pdf?

I haven't experienced these as much of a problem. Says good things about the community.

I have no use for this, given that I've been addicted to Dominion since ~2012.

See above.

ghost weasel

Hey, that's really generous of you to offer the 6 months free for us MF users. I already paid for this entire year, but if you wanted to cover the following 6 months, I wouldn't be mad about it...  ;) User name = Ghost Weasel. Here's my feedback:

I would love that. Would be great to play during long road trips when internet isn't readily available.

That would be interesting to play around with, but doesn't seem like it should be a huge priority.

3. A strong bot.
That would be good, a guaranteed challenge can be nice.

Doesn't really seem too necessary, although maybe a speed version could be interesting... where each turn has a time limit. It could change the strategy for sure.

Doesn't seem like a priority.

That would be cool! I would definitely participate.

I don't imagine I would use that feature often, but I could see how some people would.

I am an English first language, so I wouldn't use that feature.

I like the animations fine. I would definitely put this lower on the priority list.

It would be good to see those things on the "table", but I haven't had much trouble with the current system.

I personally enjoy having the log to reference, but maybe there could be a log/mats toggle switch?

I would definitely download this and use it regularly.

I don't have an iPhone

I likely wouldn't use this feature.

There are a few incidents I can think of when a more involved moderator would have been helpful in dealing with chat abuse, but by and large, most players are courteous, and I don't think it requires a whole lot of attention.

I would use this feature to show friends how to play because I am bad at explaining it.

I think it's pretty intuitive, but maybe a short/optional tutorial for brand new subscribers.

Hope that helps! Keep up the good work!