feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

corto1maltese

This is corto1maltese and I appreciate your offer for former MF customers.

My view on the discussion:

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots

Definitely needed - esp. for mobile clients (iPad ideally). As I'm traveling often with no internet (plane) available or unstable mobile connections (train, car - depending on travel area) I currently can't play Dominion as often as I would.
Advantage would also be to stop playing when needed and resume the game at a (much) later date.
Offline Client für Desktop OS wouldn't be on my list because most of the time my PC/Mac is directly connected via LAN/WAN - I'd continue to use the browser client and online play.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles

Would be nice and enhances replay value of games / scenarios.

3. A strong bot.

Definitely - might link to 2.

4. Options for timed games

I wouldn't use this.

5. Options for undo settings

Handling like current online mode would be ok. Maybe auto-grant switch per game (if no additional information is given in between).

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.

Nice to have but not first priority.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table

Would use that..

8. More translations (to what language?)

I'm fine with the current set. Wish: If playing in a language other than English, I'd sometimes like to have the English card title available as well while chatting...

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...

Not needed as I'm looking at the log. Sometimes the log could provide more information e.g. which on a card was used.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...

Definitely wanted - there is currently no way to access information on iPad with long touch. To look up some vital information via "right-click" or submenu (trash) costs time and user effort.

10. Option to hide the log

Might be useful on smaller screens - my wish would be to see trash and log at the same time or have a configurable frame (log, chat, trash).

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)

Wouldn't use that but should be available.

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)

Playing 90% of my games on iPad I would definitely appreciate that. iPhone would be second priority. I was wondering why "mobile first" wasn't the way for this kind of game nowadays...

13. Downloadable game logs

Downloadable - don't know I'd use that often - but log fully accessible after game end for lessons learned would be great.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)

Current mode is fine for me.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion

Difficult task - there is a lot of material available online but can't substitute a ftf play or learning. Maybe links to online ressources would help.

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.

Sometimes I wonder how a certain card / effects would play out online or you have to click / touch the interface in the right way to achieve your goal. I'd appreciate a per card tutorial / wiki or an instant popup help (which could be switched on / off) when an action is required by a card / play.

Keep up your good work. Thanks for the last year of fun.

Rok

I just looked at some of the other parts of this forum, and found that some of the stuff I was asking for in my feedback is already here! (Like tournaments and ratings.)  I guess that tells you how observant I am, eh?

Please disregard the parts of my feedback that appear ignorant.  I really use the game in one very specific manner, so I'm not all that well versed about it otherwise.

Thanks again!

.........Rok

adaptations

Hi.  My username is adaptations:

I am unlikely to use an offline client.

I only play against real players, so this won't matter for me.

3. A strong bot.
NA

I would appreciate an option for a timer for each players time to take actions/buys, and the player could have an extra time bank to use throughout the game. 

I like the new undo option.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
I would be interested in this.

Yes please.

NA

Not important.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
Yes please.

I'm neutral on this.

NA

This would be nice, since its increasingly challenging to play on an iphone, since the expansions involve more complicated actions/sequences.

Not necessary

I haven't found this to be a huge deal.

Not necessary

Not necessary

Ceberon

1.   An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
I don't really like playing Bots, in a campaign or otherwise.

I don't really like playing Bots

2.   A strong bot.
I don't really like playing Bots

What do you mean by this exactly? It is very annoying if someone is taking a long time to start his turns. It would be nice to have a 'shot clock' of sorts. A fixed time to play your next card. I am not interested in a game that finishes after x minutes.

Yes please.

I would not use it.

I would not use it.

English is fine.

Yes. It can be tricky to see what you gained.

Yes particularly split piles

This is fine the way it is.

YES! I find it annoying that I have to get my laptop and would very much like an app!

I do not have an iPhone.

No, but no I cannot see the log after the game. Maybe that can be shown.

Yes, for slow play

No, but it would be nice to have the text of the rules. Particularly for new sets of cards.

Nope

Username: Ceberon

Pyas

Thanks for the offer. I find it generous and didn't expect it.

My user name is Pyas. I play casually, only against bots or very close friends, and only when at home on my own computer. Here is my input.

I don't need to play offline, but would love the "campaigns".

Yes, please, that would be nice.

3. A strong bot.

That would be even nicer!

Not interesting for me.

Not really important for me.

Not relevant to me at present, but might very well be in the future. I like the idea.

Yes, that would be good.

Not relevant to me.

Yes, please. It's often hard to follow what's happening without consulting the log. This was one of our major issues when switching from the old provider.

Oh yes, that too!

Not necessarily, but perhaps if it's needed to make more parts of the board easily visible.

Not relevant to me.

Not relevant to me.

Not interesting for me.

Not interesting for me.

Not interesting for me, but it's a good idea.

Not interesting for me, but it's a good idea.

Other input: We'd love to be able to turn off the score counter, so it will be more like an IRL game where everyone is responsible for keeping track as they prefer. Perhaps this is already possible, but I haven't found out how.

Also, the background artwork isn't really needed. Sometimes it just confuses play and makes it harder to see the cards.

That's about all I can think of, for now. Thanks again for the offer, and for all your work.

eselka

Yes it would be very cool.
a strong bot would be good
3. A strong bot.
yes a bot with variable tactics.
no, not needing.
it's ok how it is
Oh. Yes please..
It would make sense.....
not for me, but it could be, that other users need it.
No thanks.
Its ok how it is.
Yes please. 
yes, absolutly for smartphones....
See above.
Yes. it would be very nice
its fine how it is.
I think who is playing dominion knows the rules.
see above

Lotoreo

1.   An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
If there was a campain I would probably go through it once (and try to get all stars, if there was a star system). But its nothing I really need.

I never play bots.

2.   A strong bot.
I never play bots.

Yes! I would play all my games on timed mode.

Yes, automatic undos if no information was revealed would be nice.

Would not use it with friends, but would participate in bigger tournaments.

Sometimes I would use it. I guess I would rather have a "search game with friend" option, and then wait until one of my friends searches for a game. But then again, I am not sure how often I would use that either.

Not needed for me.

I would like to have for instance library better, as its not always easy to see which card you are currently keeping/discarding. But overall, I like the current way. Its fast :)

There should be a way to see the bottom of split piles, though it does not matter for me anymore, now that I know them ;)

Only in a last step, once I really have all information displayed easily seeable during the game.

Would like it, but I have a rather large phone, and the current version, while being playable, is way away from being playable comfortably. So I guess it would need a major overhaul, and I am now sure its worth the time.

I do not have an iPhone.

Rarely needed for me

I gues its too much effort to have constant moderation. But an easier way for reportig people would still be nice.

Not for me

Not for me

Individual feedback:

I REALLY would like to see my rating improvement / loss after each game. I think you are using too little gameification in the client. Instead of having a 56.7 rating, it would be very nice to be Lvl 56, and see that I only need a few more wins in a row to reach lvl 57. Maybe having a progressbar that shows me how far away I am from winning / loosing a level.

I sometimes would like an option to only play against people who bought cards as well. While I am usually all for sharing, there is two problems I have with it here: 1) I am not a huge fan of "please wait, need to read cards first" comments, 2) more importantly: People who dont own cards apparently need to wait for a while, right now. That makes many of them leave the PC for a while, or tab into another window. Thus, when the game starts, I often have to wait for them to show up. Not forever, but just enough to annoy me ;)

If there is an easy way to fix this, quickbuy for sauna games should be fixed: If I have a silver, a gold, and 6 copper on my hand, and buy a province with quickbuy, the game might select the silver and the copper for the buying. Then, if I trash one of the copper with the silver, my gold is never played and I am left with 7 coins, cant play more treasures and cant buy the province. Run into this a few times. But still, its a minor issue (as all the issues I have), that would be solved if I could undo without asking permission.

Username: Lotoreo

Livo

Hi Stef, on the whole I think you're all doing an ace job. But the chance to provide this feedback is great. I can't actually remember what expansions I purchased on the old system, possibly only one or two and I've already renewed my subscription, so no biggy.

The biggest issue for me is iPad compatibility. So many functions that are faulty/ not visible compared to when I play via Windows. More detail at the end.

I'm largely online all the time, and I nearly always play via an iPad, so I probably wouldn't use this unless there was an offline App.

Yes please! I love big money, Colony and Prosperity style games so a quick selection for this style rather than laboriously going through and unchecking/ selecting specific Kingdom cards each time would be great.

3. A strong bot.
Do you mean a bot that you can choose how highly they're ranked relative to you? Yes, would be good to challenge myself on purpose sometimes.

Yes, would love this. I nearly always play rated games but often want to squeeze one in during the working day. But obviously some people are super slow players, or it's just the way the game works out. A set 10 minuter would be great.

Yep. I don't often request undo but sometimes you just hit the wrong button by mistake and I have also experienced network/ software glitches that are unavoidable. An easy way to request going back, say, 2 steps, rather than writing 'undo/' or whetever it is, would be useful. I think people get frustrated if they have to accept undo more than once.

Maybe when you start a game, you can see your opponent's attitude to undo upfront so everyone knows where they stand. I.e. 'won't accept', 'relaxed', '3 times is the the limit' etc. Would save narky comments later. I'm happy to allow a certain number of undos as I would allow this sitting around the table playing with friends. But loads disrupts the flow of the game and with some cards it's just cheating frankly, e.g. Loan

Yes, again, a nice option.

You can already do this I guess by seeing who's playing and putting a message on their log. But again, a simplified way would be good.

Doesn't affect me

No. I prefer the simplicity.  More important things to concentrate on. It's not Hearthstone! I think that would irritate me.

However, I do think the sound alerts would be useful for us ipad players. I've tried fiddling with so many settings ingame and ipad settings and it simply doesn't work.

YES!!!  Don't know if this is because I play on an ipad, but there are so many on screen functions that are already opaque to me as I can't right click so I'm forever asking my opponents if they can clarify split piles, hexes etc.

Not for me. I like the log.

For both the above, an app would be great for offline content on an ipad. I wouldn't play on my phone, screen is just too small.

No, that's taking things to a more geeky level than I would use 😉

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse,
Yes and no. At the end of the day we're all adults (or aren't we? I'm not sure if there's an age limit). If someone's being abusive or slowplaying, just don't chat back or resign. However, I do think the lightning bolt should have more choices, e.g. select the reason - either inapproriate/ aggressive chat or intentional slow playing. Unintentional slow playing too. Someone might be perfectly nice but if they're taking 2 minutes to every turn I don't want to play them again. I don't think it's fair to lump everyone together under the same black ball.

I thought there already was? I guess that was on the old campaign version.

OTHER ISSUES
For me, by far and away the biggest problem currently is iPad compatibility. There are so many functions that don't work or aren't visible.
- I can't right click on any card. It's very easy to buy a card by accident when you're just trying to read it by long pressing
- the sound notifications don't work
- some tabs on the home page don't load properly.  I've never been able to select expansions on the Familiar Cards tab. If you try to click anything, it crashes and says 'error page reloaded'. Plus the cards don't load correctly. They're all on top of each other. I have to go onto my PC to access that tab properly.
- no quick way to double check your opponent's rating or any other log info as there's no scroll bar on the log on an ipad. Have to slowly drag back through the conversation.
- I'm sure there will be other functions I'm just not aware off. I notice more each time I go onto my pc.

Niemand

Hello, my user name is Niemand and I bought some extensions a long time ago, thinking that this is for ever.... which sadly is not anymore. However, my comments

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots /

Would be fine

Very important

3. A strong bot.

absolutly needed, I use bots when playing fast games

Would be very nice

I dont need it

That would be a nice

very good idea!

I dont need that

No

would be nice

No

Yes definitly needed, it is not possible to click right bottom with my tablet!

same as 11.

Not for me

No, thanks

I dont need that

I dont need that

juliaz

USERNAME JULIAZ

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:

YES I WOULD USE IT
NO
3. A strong bot.
YES
NO
THERE IS ONE BUT ITS NOT WORKING OUR FINE
YES
YES
THE GERMAN TRANSLATION IS FINE
THATS FINE - I ALWAYS READ IT IN THE LOG
NO THATS FINE
NO
NO
YES
NO
YES
YES
YES

I PLAYED DOMINION A VERY LONG TIME - THERE ARE ALWAYS NEW CARDS - THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR ME WOULD BE A DESCRIPTION OF THE CARDS WHEN YOU RIGHTCLICK ON IT! WHEN THERE ARE SOME UNKNOWN CARDS IN MY GAME I HAVE TO GOOGLE THEM!
BEST REGARDS
JULIA

vinospizza

Username: vinospizza

Yes, absolutely would use this.

Yes, with certain cards the bot is easy to beat. Really obvious patterns that never vary.

3. A strong bot.
    Yes, though varying styles can perform the equivalent function.

Not sure I'd use it but also not sure I wouldn't.

Not sure what options those would be? Possibly?

Yes!

100% yes!

N/A

I don't mind what's there now.

Yes, sometimes these are confusing to track

Yes please

Yes please, either as long as it works.

I do not have an iPhone so I would not use this.

No, I'm not that hardcore

Neutral. Always good to have but I have not personally seen a need to improve this

I would not use this but I have been playing for years. Generally probably a good idea.

This would have been helpful around the time of the switch over - I found the new interface confusing at first. [/li]

Shoeless Jeff

Here are some guidelines on the kind of feedback I'm looking for:
1. Try to keep it short & concise
2. Try to describe your own personal wishes, not what you think is best for others.
3. Please make actual points in these posts (instead of refering to earlier posts making points)

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots - Campaign style play is less interesting to me than simply being able to generate a game against good bots. Whether that is off-line or not is also not that important to me
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles - I would love to have more sophisticated bot play styles. One of the few things I miss from the older versions is bots who have different strategies to play against
3. A strong bot. Yes, bots that make better plays would be good, even just the proper playing of things like "bank" where they often play it first instead of last, or "gladiator" where they don't reveal cards and so give you a free +1 coin anytime you play them are needed fixes
4. Options for timed games - Since I tend to either play against bots or against people I know, timed games are not important to me
5. Options for undo settings - I have really appreciated the existing undo option since it is amazing how often I misclick either because I am going to fast or forget the prompt order on things. A way to speed up undos in a game might be nice for friendly games
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. - This is not something I see myself using anytime soon
7. Option to invite specific players to your table - this would be nice since what I really want to do is create a private table and invite my friends to it and not have to worry about a random person sitting down thinking I am creating a game for anyone. Even while online it is nice to feel like I am just playing in my home with my friends and not at a game store with lots of other people around.
8. More translations (to what language?) - Not a need for me since English is my first langauge
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... - I think what you have now is fine, but maybe I just don't realize how much better better would be
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... YES, being able to see bottom cards in split piles is really important and improving how that works would be great
10. Option to hide the log - if that is the case it would be good to move some of the prompts out of the log, such as the reaction buttons which often get overlooked
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) - I tend to only play on my desktop but as an Android user I would potentially download an app if it existed but I would not put a high value on it
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - Don't have an iphone
13. Downloadable game logs - Not something I would see myself using
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) - Since I play only against bots or my friends this is not an issue for me personally, but if I was to venture out and play against others I would certainly like it to be in a nice friendly space
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - It seems like a smart marketing option and I want you guys to succeed by bringing new people into the game, but I feel I have a strong grasp of the game and so would not need it
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. - Same as above

Thanks for asking for our feedback
Dominion User name is Shoeless Jeff

etwie

Hi,

I 'll try to reply. sorry if my english is not entirly correct.

would be nice if internet is down, one never knows, but not a 'must'

nice!

3. A strong bot.

yihaaa, even nicer if different styles available

if thisis about the offline game, nah... and online.. I tend to play against friends, so i'ld rather prefer the possibility to be able to leave a game for a couple of hours and resume it with my friends, the way this is possible against bots now

fine as it is

personally not interested, I play for fun

ow please yes! :D and then only them, not that if they do not react quick enough an unknown player could join, I hate that personally

dutch would be wonderfull -> online, personally english is fine by me for the offline version

I sometimes miss how the 'tavern mat' situations are and similar, as those are not allways revealed ahead. making it a gamble from time to time
Also I am highly visually impaired. a little bigger font for 'reaction' if those are only displayed underneath the log would be VERY welcome indead! -> or why not as a button in the screen as several other reactions?
on actual animations, I would not mind if 'trashed' cards would be displayed in the center when my opponent trashes mine, so that would be a bit more 'in the eye'

see 9

log is important from time to time f.i. smuggler played

would be nice

no iphone

if that means wich cards were set up and played, yes please!

see answer 4, chat enabling for certain persons (more than only the current player) would be nice, but not for 'everyone', but it is allready pretty fine as it is now. no prio for me

not for me, unless future expansions would be very complicated, but a more detailed overview/library of the cards on demand ingame would be nice!

could be helpful

Personal requests, hopes

It would be nice if one could replay the last played deck.

It would also be nice to be able to make some 'prefered' decks

And banning cards against certain friends would be top! (Some of my friends do not like certain cards, other do not mind them at all) But this would probably be a hell of a job ;) but one can only dream of course, not asked is not tried ;)

And last but not least THANK YOU for this opportunity! and for making dominion fun on(off)line!

username: etwie
(not sure if this was the same username under MF could have been miebelgie)  for more info : etwiegienie@gmail.com or miebelgie@msn.com

jenalbu

Hi Stef,

I bought all of the expansions on-line, as one of those who thought they would last forever. :-) I find nowadays I do not go to my computer to play games as often as I go to my iPad. I want to be able to play by myself and with my family and friends. I never play with strangers, I love your bot, it's smart and fast, so my responses will align with these facts.

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots - offline is not important to me
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles - yes, although I really like the existing bot.
3. A strong bot. - yes
4. Options for timed games - no I hate that, I play to relax
5. Options for undo settings - yes, sometimes the interface makes decision errors on my clicks.
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. - not for me.
7. Option to invite specific players to your table - yes, I would love to play with my daughters and friends.
8. More translations (to what language?) - I'm English, so no.
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... no your animations are great - I love your game as is.
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, no your animations are great - I love your game as is.
10. Option to hide the log - no
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) no
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) maybe, but iPad for sure.
13. Downloadable game logs - not any more, but I used this feature in my first year while learning the game.
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) - I only play with bots, don't like strangers, I play to relax.
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - Yes, absolutely.
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.- Yes, absolutely.

I would like to be able to choose which expansion to use. Sometimes I feel like base game, sometimes, seaside, sometimes I want money :-)

test00test00

Hi Stef, My username is test00test00.

First of all, I'm Japanese, so I'm not good at English.
I will try to follow the guidelines.

Campaigns mode is not necessary for me.

I think that it is an interesting attempt and I want to play.

3. A strong bot.
I strongly hope.

It would be better to have that options.

I need that options.

Although there is better than nothing, there is no plan to use it concretely.
It can be substituted by normal online game.

I need that options.

I am enough with Japanese.

I strongly hope.
For me, in the current animation, physical movement of the card can not be understood sensuously.

I strongly hope. It should be improved as soon as possible.
It is unacceptable that what you can do with actual cards can not be done online.

I do not need it.

I do not need it.
I have no plans to play on mobile devices.

I need it.
I would like to take a quick look back on the content of the game.
I will publish it to the community and share it.

I am not very interested in that.

I think it is necessary, but a simple explanation is enough.
Dominion originally has a simple rule, but if it involves complex processing and exceptions it will be enormous.

I think it is necessary for dominion online.

Thank you for always making efforts to improve.