feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

tinoue

Hi Stef,

My user name is tinoue.

The feature which I will appreciate most is:

Quote11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)

I do not stick to app, but app has a high affinity to offline play.

Yeah my second favorite feature is:

Quote1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots

Of course this is closely tied with:

Quote3. A strong bot.

I would like to train myself by playing with strong opponent repeatedly.

From the perspective of training, the two of below are useful.

Quote2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
Quote13. Downloadable game logs

Then, this feature is useful to invite my friend to this game.

Quote7. Option to invite specific players to your table

The other features are attractive too, but they decrease priority in comparison with features above.

Thank you for your all efforts for this game.

Hamlet the Dane

Username: Lady Melinda (posting using my husband's forum account)

I cannot emphasize enough how important my first priority is. I don't want to read a game log; I want to enjoy the game.

Yes's in order of priority:

• Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...

Yes! Yes! Yes! The biggest problem with the game right now is the animations. Your opponents' cards are upside-down, and they move too fast to be able to track. This results in constantly having to read and decrypt the game log. Here are some specific suggestions:

• When a card is played or bought, animate it to the center of the screen, large, rightside-up (i.e., not upside down), and hold it there for a fraction of a second. Doesn't have to be long, just enough for the player to register what is going on. Then animate the card to where it is supposed to go. The only possible exception to this might be end-of-turn discards of remaining hand. Discards (and trashes) at other times are more important, but end-of-turn discards are usually a bunch of kingdom cards. But I wouldn't mind terribly if they, too, were animated to front and center, too. I want to be able to follow the game without having to read the log.

• Don't show opponents' cards upside-down. I know you're trying to simulate the experience of sitting across the table from your opponent, but in face-to-face, the game moves more slowly, and you have time to process what you're looking at upside-down. The online game moves faster, and keeping the cards rightside-up would help us.

• Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...

Yes.

• A bot with a setting for different play styles

Yes. As a player, I may learn from the different bots with different styles, and I may have to switch up my own strategy to adapt to different bot styles. As a bonus, a setting where a bot's style is chosen at random and not revealed to the human players. (As a double bonus, once you have data on which bot styles work better with which cards, have the bot choose its style based on the cards in the Supply!)

• A strong bot.

Yes. But strength cannot come from cheating. The advantage of playing a strong bot is that sometimes you learn from it.

• Option to hide the log

Conditionally yes. Once changes are made to animations to enable you to follow the game without reading the log, the log only becomes necessary if you happened to look away when something happened. In face-to-face, you can ask your opponent what he just played, and the game log fulfills that function in online play.

• iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)

iPad yes, iPhone no. I don't know that the screen size of a phone is large enough to contain the playing board. However, iPad is my primary Dominion-playing device. Whether it is a separate app or better touch-screen compatibility of the web client, it doesn't matter. It's not bad as it is; it could be better.

• Option to invite specific players to your table

Yes.

• Options for undo settings

Only for mistaken buys. Playing on an iPad, occasionally it will purchase a card you're pressing on just to read it. So long as no intervening action takes place, undoing the buy shouldn't be too disruptive. Most other possible Undo's would be clunky or disruptive, so I'd rather have to live with my mistakes than reduce the overall enjoyment of the game.

I cannot emphasize enough how important my first priority is. I don't want to read a game log; I want to enjoy the game. I have not played much in about a year because the user experience was so poor, so I really got very little value out of the year's subscription I was granted. I recently came back to Dominion and am learning to live with the flaws of your implementation simply because Dominion is such a good game. Look at the game logs to see that I played a bit last January, and then it just petered off because I wasn't enjoying it. I went months without playing. I would willingly (or at least begrudgingly) purchase the full subscription if the game was well implemented, polished, and enjoyable, because I used to play (and enjoy) Dominion every day. But 40-odd euros for the current implementation, I think I'll wait to see some improvements.

buggy

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots

I'd kinda like that.  I enjoyed the campaigns of goko, but I know I'm in the minority there.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles

Yes please.

3. A strong bot.

Absolutely.  The only way for me to get better is to play against better players.

4. Options for timed games

Ugh no.  I already have people saying that I am deliberately slowplaying because I don't play instantaneously.  I don't want that pressure.

5. Options for undo settings

What sort of options?  Undo if they haven't seen a card?  Always allow undo?

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.

That would be cool.  I probably wouldn't use it that much, but it might be nice.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table

Absolutely.  If I want to play with a friend, it would be nice to have that private game.

8. More translations (to what language?)

This won't help me.

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...

I'd rather you get rid of clicking in the log to do things.  It is not intuitive.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...

Yes, absolutely.  At the very least, showing all the different cards in a split pile.

10. Option to hide the log

But then how would I call a Teacher from my mat?  Also this is the second #10 in this list.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)

Sure.  I'd love to play on my phone.

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)

sure.  I'd love to play on my tablet.

13. Downloadable game logs

I'd certainly like to be able to review the occasional log to see where I went wrong.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)

Yes please.  I block abusive players all the time.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion

Would be helpful for newer players.

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.

Also useful, especially since clicking in the log is non-intuitive.

teditor

Username: Teditor

I only play against bots. Liked MF's variety of bots and the campaigns.

Basically, I've enjoyed ShuffleIt's Dominion. I think it's great and don't have much in terms of requests, to be honest. The suggestions here are nice, but for me almost solely a question of cost. I just bought a month of Dominion with all expansions. Don't know if I will again, just because the subscription cost seems a little high for a casual single-player (as I play it) game. I'd be more open to a one-time fee, but I know that's not your model at this time

Thanks for the six-month offer. I think you've done a good job implementing Dominion. Good luck in your future endeavors.

pgfarber

My username is P.G. Farber.
would use only if unable to connect.
not exciting to me
3. A strong bot.
not very excited about playuing against AI
I think the current system is sufficient.
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
i really like this idea especially if it can be done with all the expa
Yes, I have been missing an option to do this
English only, please
I'd prefer it to look exactly like isotropic and be free to play all expansions
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
not important
The log is very necessary, as exemplified by the Dominion Salvager extention to the old goko MF implementation
Yes please
Apple can die faic
that would be quite sweet, but not necessary
No controls needed.  It's entertainment to my viwers when i get abused for having  better luck and or skill
Nope
nope

michellelee211

In order for the offline version to be useful, there definitely need to be way stronger bots, and bots with different play settings would be nice. Having an option for mini-tournaments sounds like a good idea. Better visualization of split piles is definitely necessary, as is a tutorial on how to play. Rather than better visuals, I'd be into more sounds.
As for moderation, I think a solid effort has been made to deal with abusive players & I appreciate what has been done to quell that. I don't see any need for improved moderation, as the problem seems pretty well handled.
The rest of the topics don't matter much to me (with the exception of available languages, which is important but not applicable to me).
Additionally, thanks for the open discussion. I appreciate the improvements that have been made since the transition.
Username: Michellelee211

prospector

Hi, PROSPECTOR
I am prospector and have been playing Dominion online for years.
Some points I'd like to make are:

1. I'd like better visualization of Archive, Native Village and Prince i.e. any Tavern type cards.
2. I'd like better visualization of when cards are gained, it goes so fast some times one can't tell what the other gained.
3. I really like how you can leave a game and come back later, that was once not an option.
4. It would be neat to have bot settings for different play styles.
5. It would be neat to have a set up for a tournament with friends.
6. I haven't ever heard of an app on an i-phone until now, but that would be awesome.
7. Have a ranking system for playing with bots online separate from playing with real players.
8. How about an option after the game is set up to kick a card or replace it after the game is set up.
   What I mean is sometimes the random card picks have cards that would not even be used because of other
   cards that are there.  Example, I had a Prince one time and no cards that you would even want to be
   used with a Prince card...have the option to switch a card or two after the cards are randomly picked.

That's all I can think of for now...keep up the good work and happy playing   

jay camargo

Hello, my user name is jay camargo

things I wish were easier to do/see:
duration cards disappear at the end of each turn, so we don't know what is there when we play a lot of different cards.
I play on a mac and there's no right click, therefore no easy way (as far as I know) to read what a card does. most of the times I play with familiar cards or try my luck to figure out the card does as I play them.
a feature I would like to have, although I don't know if it can be called a feature, is to have a subscription where instead of getting complete sets I can choose cards I like playing with and subscribe to those only. I bought the whole sets of cards from MF but I usually always plays with my favorite cards against bots. I adjust the level of difficulty by adding or removing bots from the game.

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
as someone mentioned, I usually have internet connection when I play. so this is not really something I need. maybe for when I'm on a place or something, although depending on the price of the app I might just not buy it at all.

the bots are usually pretty dumb. and you get their glitches pretty easy, and start taking advantage of it. I'm guilty of this. when you play the torturer for exemple you might end up being the only person playing, as the bots never take in curses.

3. A strong bot.
that would be nice. I'm not wrong, the last client had their bots match the player's rating. so the better you got the better the bots played.

no thank you. I only play against bots and I'm usually doing other things while I play, so I wouldn't use that.

not sure what this means. if it's undo a play, it's already in the game

I only play against bots. on the old client sometimes we'd have game nights and play dominion on the computer, instead of using the board game we have, but just because it's much quicker to set it up. haven't done it in a long time but it's a nice thought to have this option

I thought that was already an option

I speak 5 languages lol but I think english is pretty universal, and my mother language along with portuguese.

I don't need animations, especially if it'll make the game slower

not sure what this is

would be nice, but because of things I mentioned above, the log can help quickly figure out what's going on in the game like last card bought by the opponent.

no

no

no

I play bots, but I have heard people complain about slow players...

tutorials are always good, although when you already know how to play it's hard to justify it. I think everyone responding to this is an avid player. plus the game is VERY self explanatory, especially in online form

same as above

Hope this helps. thanks for the hard work

IceHot

- I would not use the Offline client much.  Although I played often against bots, I found the Campaign to just be silly (and driven mostly by the Goko Coin Gimic).

- That I think is a good idea, primarily because I prefer random play styles as opposed to predicitve play styles.

3. A strong bot.
- The stronger the better, but not cheatsy strong (ie. the bot should have to guess at his bottom two cards of the turn like the rest of us).

- I have no need for it.

- I have no need for it.

- Mini-Tournaments I might jump in those.

- Seems like something I might use, but not a priority for me.

- I am an Unfairly biased English speaker (but my wife speaks Russian)

- Probably not worth the bandwidth for me (I would turn this option off)

- Not a priority for me.

- Not a priority for me.
- However I would like to review the log post game after finding out I lost.

- Sounds Smart although Im an iPhone guy at the moment

- not a priority for me, but I would run it on an iPhone if available

- Seems smart for debugging and verifying the validity of complaints

- Necessary some people take the game too serious and get offensive.  The game requires community and the bad apples must go!!!!

- Not necessary for me, but wouldnt hurt.

- The UI tutorial is probably more important.

NUMBER ONE Improvement needed (IMO).....
Need to be able to hover slide the cards in the discard pile, so the one you are about to click on slides up above the overlaying cards so you can read the card title.  The discard pile can get big (30+ discarded cards is a fairly common game state even with elite players)  You often need to interact with it, but the overlaid cards makes it impossible to be certain you are selecting the right card because you can not read the card title.  At the very least you need a bubble over with the card name text.

Donitsa

Hi Stef,

I appreciate the gesture to offer more to those of us who did purchase thinking we had a lifetime of online Dominion.  I am not a big gamer. I love playing board games and Dominion is one of my favourite. I would choose playing with people around my kitchen table before playing online. Sadly, my kids live in another city so I mainly play online with a bot or occasionally with family online.  I would be happy to play offline forever if that was an option.  The other games I play offline are Terra Mystica, Ticket to Ride, Splendor, and Puerto Rico.  I paid far less for each of these apps on my iPad and have them forever.  I own 6 Dominion board game expansions and hope to one day have them all.  I will most likely never be willing to pay another lump sum to play Dominion online and will either continue to play with the base set online or play my other online games.  I think it would be nice for people who purchase the physical board game to have some benefit or discount to purchase the game online.  Here are the answers to your wishlist questions:

1. I wish I could play offline on an iPad app.  I currently find playing on my iPad glitchy.  There are a lot of times it is hard to click on cards especially when you have a lot of them in play.  The log should be optional as it takes up a lot of space.  I find I'm always moving the screen around to fit the game.

2. I liked playing the old version of Dominion with the Bots.  I don't really find it a challenge to play with your  Bot as I always win.  It would be great if there were different options for Bot difficulty or styles.

3. 3 Different levels of Bot strength would be great.  Easy, Medium, Hard

4. I don't care about timed games

5.  The undo is nice especially when you accidentally click on the wrong card.  I wish I could undo when I play a card like Masquerade and I accidentally clicked on a card I meant to play instead of give away.

6.  Tournaments with my family online would be fun.

7. I like how Ticket to Ride is set up for inviting friends to play.

8.  Not sure about this as it doesn't apply to me personally.

9.  I don't care how fancy the animation is only if it loads well and doesn't glitch on my iPad

10  Not sure about this.  I think it's fine.

10  Definitely the option to hide the log and make the cards bigger and fit in the screen on the iPad

11  Not sure.  I haven't used the Android app

12  I would like and iPad app.  I'm not sure if I would use my iPhone as I think the cards would be too small.

13  I'm not sure what downloadable game logs means?

14  I have played thousands of hours with just a Bot but not much with other players outside my family so I don't know much about this.  If I played with another player, I would rather not chat with them.  If they are too slow the game should warn them then boot them off.

15  Tutorials are good for Dominion

16  An online tutorial would be good.  I do better playing the board game and learning the cards then trying it online.  I found the Nocturne trial challenging but after playing the board game version, I wish I could have a chance to try it again online.

I hope you will find my feedback helpful.  I have played a lot of dominion online but I'm not as tech savvy as some of the others.  Thank you for offering us another 6 months of playing.  I really appreciate it!

My user name is Donitsa.

nombex

I'm not reading the rest of the replies, so I'm sure all of the things I write will echo others.  But there will be more statistics.  I've spent a fair bit of time and money on online and offline Dominion, and I'm pretty pleased with the current offering.  Being able to preview and buy Nocturne was great.

Quote from: Stef on 09 January 2018, 10:33:57 AM
Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
- only interesting if there's an app version; if I'm on a PC, I'm online and up for playing with people.
- low priority, but I'd enjoy having app bots
3. A strong bot.
- again, low priority, but sometimes I do enjoy a quick totally offline game, and would appreciate a challenge.
- appealing; I don't see a lot of griefing, but sometimes I'm in a rush
- undo is pretty great as it is

- yes, please.  Make it as easy as possible for me to play with friends, like I might in real life
- don't care; I'm a monolingual American
- I don't think I care, either way
- being able to right-click twice to know the rest of a pile would be good.  Novices would be sad if they don't know what comes after Gladiator, for example.
- sounds so simple you might as well
- I tried it recently on my Pixel 2 XL and it was good, though I had to rotate my screen landscape to chat and portrait to play effectively.  Please improve it incrementally.  Overall, I was impressed, though.
- I don't care.
- permalink is best.  I should be able to type in a game ID and know I can link my friends to it.
- let me put in a friend/blacklist DURING THE GAME, so I don't have to remember to do it after the game ends.
- I don't care much, personally.

amber2980

My username is Khaleesi

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots:

I like to play against bots, I am not, however; a fan of campaigns. Unless finishing it would earn store credit or accessing a different expansion.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles:

Yes!!! The bots that you can play against now do the same thing all the time so you know how to easily beat them.

3. A strong bot:

See #2.

4. Options for timed games:

I dunno. I'd need a little more info. Does the player with the higher score at the end win?

5. Options for undo settings:

The undo is fine the way that it is now, I think.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends:

This would be a nice option. I would love to play in tourneys.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table:

Is this the same as playing with a friend?

8. More translations (to what language?):

Does not apply to me.

Personally, I turn off the animations. They make the game slower to load, etc. I honestly liked the old, text-only Dominion game.

See #9

10. Option to hide the log:

This would be nice. Especially the chat.

It would be nice if I could play on my phone and not just a tablet (which I don't because I don't own one).

DNA

I do not care about this at all.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slow players, ...)

Seems okay as it is.

These seem like the same question to me. If it is online then, you would want an interface tutorial. One nice thing to have would be a place to see how cards interact. Like throne room/outpost. Have some info that you won't get to play outpost 2 times in a row, but rather that you will draw 3 cards on your next turn. Things like that...

Bonus: I would like to have opponents at the table be able to pick a card from the deck that they don't want to play with. This could be an option that you would choose when setting up your matching options.

I absolutely love this game. And I love being able to play online since set up and game play is so easy and fast.

Kilgore

Quote from: Stef on 09 January 2018, 10:33:57 AM

Kilgore both on the forums and in the game.

The above quoted features are the only ones from your list that I care about. Undo specifically should be default allowable by me if the other player hasn't seen the future. Or, if the player has seen the future and undo is allowed the future should be undone (ie. their draw stack should be reshuffled after undo so that knowing the draw stack is useless).

Something that would trump all of the above would be faster gameplay. Smaller assets and better gameplay over slow connections, the elision of non-choices, no animations if desired, would all be great.

Also good moderation -- particularly the ability to rate others on speed of play, politeness, a global ban list that I could join to just ban any player that multiple others have banned, would be great to reduce the # of games that start with children who think that a bad shuffle deserves to be followed by abusive language or slowplay.

Finding people compatible matches would be nice moderation too -- let people classify themselves as "chatty", "fast", "newbie", etc., so that people can find games they want to be in would be more useful than new features.

Christmas has brought an onslaught of new players and I very much appreciated the ability to 'wait for expansions' in the advanced seek options. One can only take so much of base.

Making the game run fast on mobile would be a big win. It's essentially unplayable on iPad.

Thanks for the subscription extension. I admit I am tired of paying for Dominion over and over again, though I understand this isn't in your control.

Kilgore

Clearlyclarely

My username is clearlyclarely. Thank you for soliciting feedback. Here are my thoughts:

I would love this feature. I do not always have access to internet, and it would be fun to be able to play offline. In order to enjoy this, I would like to have stronger bots. Would there be any way to play offline two-player? Like if I'm on a road trip or airplane and we pass the iPad back and forth? I would adore that!!!
I would enjoy this feature. In the old version there was the attack style bot, the big money style bot, etc. I enjoyed playing against a variety of different play styles to work on my own strategies.
3. A strong bot.
Absolutely! I have had several stalemates with the current bot, or something where the bot just keeps doing the same thing over and over like playing apprentice when it's down to one card and buying a copper each turn. I would appreciate something more challenging and "smart".
I do not care about this feature.
It would be great to auto-allow undo for moves that don't draw or reveal anything. Or before a game begins the players could select the settings. However, it would be nice to allow undo on a case-by-case basis if you provide explanation for instance, even when new info has been revealed.
Yeah, this would be fun, even though I haven't really thought about it much before.
Please implement this feature! I do not like the current way tables are laid out such that you can only have a random opponent or if I start a table for a friend to join me, random people can enter and I have to boot them :(
I wouldn't use this feature
I think it's okay as is, but I would be interested in seeing what you come up with.
We absolutely need these.
I am not sure I would use this feature. I reference the log all the time.
I have an iPhone
I would like this feature. I don't necessarily want an app unless it's available for offline play. Otherwise, I would just like to see a better layout. Right now it is tough to see everything since it's just a miniature version of the desktop app. It is tough to use the chat feature too, since everything is so small. The web version works well on my iPad, I should say. The only thing is that it sometimes cuts off the chat bar where I am typing when I have the keyboard pulled up.
This would be cool but not a gamechanger for me.
I would like to see more development here. It would be nice to be able to submit a comment when you blacklist someone.
Not needed for me.
Not needed for me.

Other suggestions: 1) Make settings available in-game, for instance turning on/off music/sound effects. 2) I would also like to be able to click on a card description in the log in order to see the card. This would be especially helpful for the new boon/hex cards. 3) In the old version (before Making Fun I think?) there was an option to play campaigns through the expansions. I really enjoyed playing those pre-set kingdoms in order to learn the cards well for each expansion. 4) Ability to ban cards (e.g. possession).

Thanks for giving us the chance to extend our dominion membership for free. I was bummed when Making Fun went down, but overall I think your service is working well. We just still have some kinks to work out. Looking forward to the offline version!

jim1979

Hi,
My username is: jim1979

I suppose that could be useful in some circumstances, but online access is much more ubiquitous than it used to be. I have a chromebook, so I'm always online.

Yes.

3. A strong bot.

Yes. There are some cards the bot won't use. It is rather predictable.

I don't find this option particularly necessary or appealing.

Sure.

That sounds like a good idea.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table.

Yes.

I'm a native English speaker and I know people who are not who learn enough to play video games. That said, and considering the importance of text to this game, I'm sure the more languages offered, the better for your potential sales.

It's the strategy of the game that I like (I played first with actual cards). I don't need anything too shiny.

Yes, that could be useful.

Sure, why not?

Sure.

Sure.

I don't need this option.

I usually just play against bots. But, yes, that sounds helpful.

I don't need one.

I don't need one.