feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

nbluer

Hey there -- love Dominion. Username is "Nasty Miyagi." I was fully aware it would be subscription after MF lost its license. Didn't plan on paying when the free year ran out, but it's so much fun I'm happy to do so now ... Have loved the free play and access to all the expansions (even if I don't always understand them). Thanks for all your hard work!

Re your questions:

1. Don't care either way.
2. Yes.
3. YES! The Bot that just buys gold, and that just Contrabands gold, is not very AI.
4. So long as laggards are forced to resign, no. If you implement, I'd have it be an option (new cards + a timer would be a bummer).
5. Maybe a list of recent moves to show how far back you want to undo? Having to request three or four times to get to the stage you want is clunky.
6. Agnostic.
7. Sure.
8. N/A for me.
9. Agnostic. I kind of like the old school feel. That said, a slicker interface may appeal to more users, increasing your business and making the community bigger and better ...
10. Yeah, I think that would be nice. If you do hide it, I would put turn order at the top for the purposes of figuring out if you can tie or not. In fact, it would be nice to have this feature even with the log, so we don't have to scroll through it.
11. Agnostic.
12. Agnostic.
13. Agnostic.
14. Part of me says yes, part says no. I think self policing is pretty good. I ban players I don't like. It would be nice to be able to flag or rate a player who resigns often (especially on random table generators -- they see the cards, they don't like them, they bounce) without outright banning them. I think it would be useful for us to see if a player, upon sitting down at the table with them, is a serial quitter or not. A rating system is also ripe for abuse, so maybe just leave it as is? Dunno if my answer here is helpful ...
15. Not a priority for me.
16. Ditto.

One thing not listed: I'd love for it to be easier to experiment with new expansions in a stress free game, either vs a bot or another expansion newbie. I have a feeling this is doable, but it would be nice to have one-click access to this feature. Could be as easy as putting an "Expansion practice match" button on the home page. Then you click which expansion(s) you want to mess with, and then you're matched or joined by a friend or bot. I get all sweaty when I see new cards and have no idea what to do with them!

Thanks again for a fantastic product. When I first saw it, post MF, I thought, "Oh, no." But this version is so much better than MF's. Truly. It was so easy to make simple and dumb mistakes in the MF version. That is not the case with yours.

Cheers,

NM

nbluer

"Nasty Miyagi" here again. I missed one of your #10. questions (of which there are two). So:

10. (re split piles, etc). YES, PLEASE!

Also, move log clicks to pop ups in the middle of the table, please.

Thanks,

NM

sigweaver

Username: sigweaver
I don't know if I'm one of the people this qualifies for, but I'll respond anyway.

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
Not of interest to me, having played many tabletop games in app/online form, although I appreciate it's an option, I get bored of playing against something that's running a script. At top levels of play, it's easy to predict and "game" the AI. (I'm not top at Dominion, but was a competitive Catan player, and get super bored of playing the bots).

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
If you do it, yes, this is better than just one script that all bots run. Carcassonne does a great job with this, for example.

3. A strong bot.
As strong as you can make it, yes!

4. Options for timed games
Yep might as well, lots of people like fast play. It's probably one of the most common complains in in-game chat. "play faster please".

5. Options for undo settings
I like the current setup of undo needing to be validated by other players. Maybe a way to toggle so it is/is not an option for any more that reveals information.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
Yes! This would be awesome! Friends, and also rando's. I'd love if I could play a mini tournament any time.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table
I don't care but I'm sure lots of people would want this and it would make sense.

8. More translations (to what language?)
n/a for me, only need English.

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
Hmmmm...maybe, but not at the expense of slowing down play. Maybe if you can toggle them on off.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
Yes please, anything you can do here. And maybe I just don't know where it is, but ability to view the various mats.

10. Option to hide the log
Sure, maybe just minimize it to the side.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
n/a for me, but yeah seems like it'd make sense.

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
Yes. I would play it all the time. Was playing the MF one a lot.

13. Downloadable game logs
Not of interest for me.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
Yes, maybe more ways to deal with slow players, maybe a setting people can agree to before starting the game of how long before a "time out" can be dealt with.
I don't mind swearing in the chats, and actually like it, but derogatory language should absolutely not be allowed!

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
Not of need or interest to me.

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
Yeah, with any product, you want people to be able to use that version of it, so where buttons are and how to change settings should be explained some how some way.

LadyElle

I am an original MF client and already paid for 2018 subscription so I could continue to play.

1. I would love an offline client to play bots
2. Yes, this sounds like a nice option.
3. It would be nice to have levels of play with bots
4. This doesn't interest me
5. Do we not already have an undo?
6. This sound nice. I would love an option to just include my friends when setting up games. I hate having to kick people out when trying to start a private game. MF had a great option for private games.
7. Yes! As I stated in #6. I do not like to play strangers. My husband and I only play bots or personal friends with Dominion online.
8. N/A for me. English is my language.
9. Yes!!! I thought the MF interface was much easier visually. It took me a long time to get used to current visuals. Seeing what my opponent buys more easily would be a great feature. Now, I have to see it upside down or go read what they bought. This shouldn't be upside down. MF was much easier for me.
10. Yes! I would like to see the board filled more visually with cards and options. Actions that just show up in fine print on the log are difficult to read. These options should be much easier to see and understand. Hidden below the log in small fine print is not ideal at all, especially for new players who are just learning the game. You have to know to look for the options there and to click on them.
10 (again?) Hiding the log would be a great option
11. Not applicable to me
12. I would LOVE an iPad or iPhone app!!!!!!!!!!!!
13. nice, not necessary. Not a priority on my wish list.
14 No opinion, as I don't play strangers
15 Yes!
16 Yes, I loved MF's practice games where you went through the kingdoms. I forgot the name of it, but it was a fantastic way to learn the game.

*I am grateful that this game is still available on line. We play often. I do wish the interface was visually easier to look at. The MF version was easier on my eyes and easier for new players to learn with. What I do miss greatly is the option to replay the same exact cards after playing a game. You used to be able to play the same cards as a type of retry with the bots or change the cards. When I find a fun or difficult hand with the bots or my friends, it would be nice to just play it again.
Also, I love the MF option of creating card sets for games. We would pick various table layouts and play the ones we were in the mood for.
Thank you for listening to our input.
It did seem unfair that we thought we had a lifetime subscription, then just had to pay again.

Sia Koquima

Hi, username SiaKoquima

Thank you for doing this! My family and I are avid gamers IRL and Dominion is my personal favorite game because each game can be different based on the cards.  We own almost all the expansions in our home and I purchased all available through MF.  The games aren't cheap, and I appreciate that you are trying to compensate those of us who purchased the Dominion games.  I play Dominion online almost every day as a way to unwind and relax when I have the time!

I would enjoy playing offline campaigns when I don't have time to engage in a game with real people or just to practice playing the various kingdoms.  I would feel comfortable allowing my tweens to play the offline version as we don't allow the kids to play online games with chat features.
Variation is what makes the game fun when you play against real people, a predictable bot wouldn't be very much fun.
3. A strong bot.
Boss bots would be a fun challenge.
Yes!! As a busy mom of 4, sometimes I only have 10-20 minutes I can sit down and play a game or two while the babies are napping. I would appreciate a timed game because you would have to play quickly and finish it.  It is so frustrating to play against someone who takes 3-5 minutes to play a basic hand.
Undo is helpful when you mis-click. I play friendly games and willing to give people any reasonable undo options as I would IRL if playing with friends.
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
Sounds like a fun option!
Yes, it is difficult to see what friends are online except in the opening matching section as well.
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
This is necessary, especially if the cards are new to a player, you have no idea what the other card in the pile are when there is no way to view them.
An app would be great!  I have many other board card/games that I play in app version - Ticket to Ride, Splendor, Star realms, Ascension, Pandemic, etc. Since Dominion is my favorite game, I would of course be playing it the most!
I don't have an iPhone.
wouldn't use
Yes, I typically just ignore/block players who try to ruin the game and don't play with them again.
Would be helpful for new players, it can be intimidating if you have never played this or any deck building games before to understand.  The campaigns also would help with this for new players.

Same as above.

tictactoc

Hello! Hope you are still accepting feedback.

I have played Dominion Online a few years now and have been mostly happy with it so far. One thing I definitely missed is seeing what the other user is doing. I feel a like I lose a little bit of the "board-game" feeling when I am constantly reading the log. I would have love to see which card the other player is buying from the table, or at least have it more obvious in the log.

- Yes I would love an offline client.

- I play a lot with bots so this would definitely be a nice option for me.

3. A strong bot.
- This is not as important to me.

- I use undo sometimes so perhaps this would be good.

- This would be really nice. It is sometimes confusing to find the right table.

- Would love this in Swedish only because I am learning it.

- YES. Especially gained/bought.

- Yes, but only if there are better visualizations for cards gained, played and bought.

- This. is not as important to me.

- Yes. I would even pay for a separate iOS app.

- Yes. I would also appreciate an option to mute the chat.

- This would actually be nice in case I missed anything. I know in the beginning it took a while to get used to it

My player name is tictactoc. Thanks in advance for this opportunity!

EarlS

Yes. This is my number 1 priority. It's a great way to learn, plus I like trying to find a way to try to beat bot with specific (strong) strategy on a specific board.

3. A strong bot.
Yes to both. High priority. Especially the strong bot. I have no idea if half the stuff I try is actually good, or if it just beats Rattington.

Don't care. Wouldn't use.

I'm happy with undo as it is.

Meh.

Not essential. Would be nice to be able to avoid strangers hopping onto a table that you're making for a friend.

Not for me.

Meh. Don't care too much.

Yes. This is important. In one game, I played a Peasant AND Overlorded a Peasant (I needed Buy), and I accidentally exchanged my Overlord!

No. Don't care.

Neither for me.

Would be okay.

I play only a little in the automatch. I've never dealt with any abuse.

Not for me. But for new players, yes! Loved the tutorial island back at Making Fun.

To summarize, these are the things I care about (in order)
#1: Better bot(s)
#2: Campaigns
#3: Better visualization

The rest of it is fine the way it is, for me. One feature I'd love is a "replay/save this board" button. Or more instruction about how to use the game ID log stuff. I'm still not really clear on that, and I had no idea it was a thing for the longest time.

(I'm just Earl on the client, but I've already paid for subscriptions into 2019 I think, so it might not apply to me, and I don't care. I think you do amazing work with this game, and I love my online experience, and you've earned my money as far as I'm concerned.)

krugs525

I would much rather play against humans, which I'm worried might get worse if people could play offline, which would mean less players online.

That would be nice just to make the bots more unpredictable.

3. A strong bot.

That's great... if you can do it.  I haven't played against a bot that could figure out complex combinations, especially with the game getting more and more complicated.  But if someone is good with machine learning they could make a really strong bot.

Why not post this as a Kaggle competition?  There are tons of software developers who would try and do this anyway, so you might as well take advantage of their work, and you'll probably end up with a stronger bot.  Then maybe we can have a bot tournament! :)

I would really dislike this, I'd hate to feel pressure to play a slog with a slow engine differently just because I might run out of time.

I like undo how it is now.

+100000

Yes

I'm an English speaker so I'm good

I'm fine with how it is now.

Yes, I don't know what's in the other half of the split piles and I don't know how to find out (I search google to find out)

No

I want to say yes but I think there would be too much information to cram on a phone screen.

I'm an Android user :)

Yes, I'm learning machine learning and this would be a fun problem :)

I haven't had an issue with this, if I have an issue I block the user, but I rarely have to do so.

I can see value in this, but obviously I already know how to play

Have popup bubbles for new players the first time they have to do a certain thing in an app that they haven't done before.  Also have fewer "click below the log" things and more popups on the screen, sometimes I miss things in the logs.

One other thing I can't figure out is how to block certain cards.  Somehow I've managed to block Stash and Possession (which I'm fine with, I hate Possession), but I don't know how to change those settings.

I also really liked the "veto mode" from isotropic.

My username in the game is krugs525

HRHJAN

Quote from: Stef on 09 January 2018, 10:33:57 AM
(link to Japanese)
(here is a list of extended subscriptions, which I will update every couple of days)

Yes, or some other way of allowing people to practice / gain experience with certain expansions.  (Eg: if you could play all of the recommended kingdoms against bots.)

I don't like this idea.  In order to improve you would need experience against lots of different play styles.

3. A strong bot.

Not interested.

Not interested.

Would be interested in player statistics with regards to undo requests.

Yes, would totally do this!

Yes, this is currently frustrating.

Not applicable.  Would be cool if the chat could auto translate to the reader's default language.

Don't care.  Which you could zoom in on the font size of the cards though.

Yes.  Frustrating to have to look up what the other half of the split is.

Yes, if it would make the playing area / cards / text on cards larger and easier to read.

Wouldn't use.

Would use.  Might lose job.

Not sure why but I find that creepy.

Maybe 'speed' is another option that could be tracked and attached to a player profile? 

The old campaigns were a good way to accomplish this.

I recently needed to access the online help and it took me several attempts to find it and then several more to navigate it effectively.

Username: HRHJAN

jnnmn

Hi Stef

1-3. I really like playing against bots and I barely play against other players so a campaign mode with different bots in different play styles in different strengths would be highly appreciated.

4. I don't think I will ever play timed games, mostly because I only play against bots

5. I like the improved undo options. I would like it even better if you could even undo after the game has ended. Of course only in bot games.

6. Mini-tournaments sound good. Perhaps this way I would sooner invite (real life) friends to make an account

7. Yes. Again, perhaps it would brake down barriers to invite friends to this online game

8. I don't need any translations

9. MF did this better in my opinion. Maybe just add some delay. So even when the turn is over, show te gained/bought cards for a few seconds more while the next player is playing.

10. Of course. And better visualization of duration cards played by other players.

10. If point 9 somehow works out, you only need the log for special occasions

11,12. I personaly don't need apps

13. Nor downloadable game logs

14. So far I mostly play against bots, so I don't know

15,16. Isn't there already? I've never missed it.

Other: With MF you could safe boards and even preferences. Of course that is partly solved with the game ID. But it would be nice if you could store them on your account. For example a board with chapel, colonies, no shelters and furthermore only prosperity cards.

thanks,
username jnnmn

Poseydonlein

Hello, it's a nice offer - thank you very much. I've already purchased a new subscription and would love to have it extended for half a year. My username is Poseydonlein.
Here's my feedback:

I'd love an offline version. this would give me the opportunity to spend hours in airplanes doing something useful (playing dominion...).

Yes, that would be nice as well. Sometimes the bot really does stupid things. On the other hand, my nephew is learning dominion at the moment, it would be nicer for him if the easiest bot could still be a little bit easier to win against.

3. A strong bot.
not interesting for me/us.

not interesting for me/us.

The undo button is nice to correct real errors, but it is sufficient for me the way it is. I don't really know what "settings" you have in mind, but it should lead to giving you options to cheat :-)

yes, that would be nice!

nice as well. I don't have my friends on dominion, but could then create an account for my nephew and play against him.

I'm happy with German!

Animations are nice already, I wouldn't know what to add to it.

Definitely, this would be really good. There are some piles with new cards like "Fledermaus" etc. and you have an action card which will gain you a "Fledermaus" but you can't know what the Fledermaus can do until you have it. It would be great to be able to read the description of the card before you decide to gain it.

not important for me

no, i'm not using apps (don't have a smartphone)

no, i don't have a smartphone

no. what would it be good for?

I'm only playing against bots and they're not talkative in the chat. Have never experienced any chat abuse, so not really interesting for me.

That would sure be nice for new beginners, however, not relevant for me.

Same as above.

trumpkinx

HI. Thank you for all the effort you put into this:
I have played Dominion for a few years now and would appreciate the following:
An offline bot version
And easier way to invite friends to your table
An easier way to interact with cards instead of doing it via the log as in the "tunnel" to click on the log to gain the gold is not very easy to spot.
Otherwise it works well for me and I would appreciate an extension
Thank you!

kaliopa

Hi Stef,

I liked playing Online Dominion this past year and there has been a lot of improvements in the meantime. Here is my feedback...

I actually don't miss having offline client. I played Dominion online even before MF and that kind of game was my priority.

Different difficulty levels would be good to have.

3. A strong bot.
Definitely it is needed to have stronger bots that they are at the moment. Some cards bots never play like those that are somehow collecting points and even when trashing cards there could be better choices made.

Not high on my priority list. I'm not sure what should happen when someone exceeds time for the move, but for tournaments it would be nice to have some limitation.

I would very much like that. It would be nice to set undo preferences before the match, so when matching of pairs is done that everybody knows to which kind of game they joined. I would prefer playing without undos.

This would be very nice to have.

Yes, it would be cool to have some kind of "lobby" with players that are online and to initiate a game with someone. It would be good to have possibility to check some statistics for that player that we consider inviting like rank, number of games played etc.

Not needed for me.

This is good enough in my opinion.

Yes, for some situations it's not enough visible and could use improvements.

Not needed for me as I would never use that option.

I rarely played on my phone because it was too slow, so now I don't feel much need for this.

I'm not an iPhone user.

Yes, this would be useful.

I would like to be able to disable chat when player starts to be abusive and not receive any messages anymore.

It would be helpful since I would like my friends to join.

Same as 15, but this tutorial can be short with basic stuff needed to get around.

I would like to add also that sometimes I have a feeling that after shuffling cards I bought in the last turn are very likely to be in my next hand. It just seemed this happens with higher probability than expected.
As for the additional options, I would like to have possibility to approve match and not automatically to be added to the game once a match is found.

My username in the game is like on the forum - kaliopa.

All the best and thanks for the game

DivByZero

Username: DivByZero

These are the changes I'd like to see in order of preference:

• Add a way to "replay" a card set that was just randomly chosen and played.  For example, I played a game with random cards and got beaten.  I want to replay with that same card set to see if I learned from my mistakes.
  • Fix the Bot AIs with certain trickier cards, like Tournament, Pirate Ship, Bishop, Embargo, Knights, Rats, etc.
    It's clear that the Bot AIs just don't know how to leverage some them.
  • Make the cards from the new expansion packs available (Adventures, Empires & Nocturne)
  • Add advanced strategies for Bot AIs based on the presence of added Victory cards (Vineyard, Gardens, etc.) and cards that benefit them.  For example, if University and Vineyard are both available...
  • I would appreciate an offline mobile app (Android) that I could play on an airplane, but otherwise am happy with the online web client.

Lady Corline

Hi,

Thanks for the extra subscription. These features i would like to use:

1. The campaigns convinced me to buy dominion online. I had played the board game dominion just a few times and loved it to explore the other sets. I would like to play the campaigns again.
6. I would like to invite specific friends
10. Somethimes it impossible to see all the information.

My user name is: Lady Corline