feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

Masquerade the Duchy

Hello and thanks for extending subscriptions to players!
I've paid for all the sets on the old platform, and play when I can.
Would love to be able to have full range of the sets again.

Here is my feedback to your questions, hope subscriptions are still available :)

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
Not as interested in the current bots. I enjoy the multi-player aspect. Never found a bot that could trick me yet unless they beat me to an engine build or something along those lines.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
Same. If I would chose a play style, than I would know how to counter it. I think many others would be down haha.

3. A strong bot.
Yes. What would this look like though? I need a bot that can read mid strat switch!

4. Options for timed games
Love this concept!

5. Options for undo settings
As always, yes. Mutual agreement has been working out great. Maybe limit the undo amount to 3?

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.

Would use this feature, and might even gain more users if marketed right!

7. Option to invite specific players to your table
Yes, works with friends list, and used it quite often after making new friends.

8. More translations (to what language?)
Can you integrate google translations? Have it translate to users profile language?

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
In todays world, costant facelifts tire me out. I could care less about the animations, sparkle, glitter, unicorn, shine... I care more about the build!

10.1 Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
Perhaps a layover visual with access on a corner of the main card?

10.2 Option to hide the log
Sure, but I use the log, haha

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
Would love a mobile app!

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
Used be on iphone... would love to be able to play those users!

13. Downloadable game logs
Yes. With generated graphs would be lovely. I think you'll find this fan base may even animate their graphs...hmmmm

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
Slowplayers: Strict timed response actions. 10-15sec (hidden) clock to make a click move. Then give the option to boot, with a 5sec last call overlay visible countdown?

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
Not for me, but would be valuable

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
Not for me, but would be valuable ;)

Thanks for reading and working to make the future best!

Masquerade the Duchy

Hello and thanks for extending subscriptions to players!
I've paid for all the sets on the old platform, and play when I can.
Would love to be able to have full range of the sets again.

Here is my feedback to your questions, hope subscriptions are still available :)

Not as interested in the current bots. I enjoy the multi-player aspect. Never found a bot that could trick me yet unless they beat me to an engine build or something along those lines.

Same. If I would chose a play style, than I would know how to counter it. I think many others would be down haha.

3. A strong bot.
Yes. What would this look like though? I need a bot that can read mid strat switch!

Love this concept!

As always, yes. Mutual agreement has been working out great. Maybe limit the undo amount to 3?

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.

Would use this feature, and might even gain more users if marketed right!

Yes, works with friends list, and used it quite often after making new friends.

Can you integrate google translations? Have it translate to users profile language?

In todays world, costant facelifts tire me out. I could care less about the animations, sparkle, glitter, unicorn, shine... I care more about the build!

10.1 Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
Perhaps a layover visual with access on a corner of the main card?

10.2 Option to hide the log
Sure, but I use the log, haha

Would love a mobile app!

Used be on iphone... would love to be able to play those users!

Yes. With generated graphs would be lovely. I think you'll find this fan base may even animate their graphs...hmmmm

Slowplayers: Strict timed response actions. 10-15sec (hidden) clock to make a click move. Then give the option to boot, with a 5sec last call overlay visible countdown?

Not for me, but would be valuable

Not for me, but would be valuable ;)

Thanks for reading and working to make the future best!

puddlediving

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:

Yes Yes Yes! I play mostly against bots, so I never have to worry about walking away due to interruptions.

While different play styles sounds nice, I'd like them randomized (hopefully that will be an option). It does suck sometimes when the bot is TOO predictable. (always contrabanding gold, for instance.)

3. A strong bot.
yes, I like a challenge

Would depend on the options. Sometimes I genuinely click the wrong thing, but sometimes it feels like cheating.

Yes! I would pay for an app that played the game well on the phone.

Great idea, but I don't need it.

Thanks for offering to extend our subscriptions! I have been sad ever since my 2017 playing ended.  My username is puddlediving.

mirtelotte

Quote from: Stef on 09 January 2018, 10:33:57 AM
(link to Japanese)
(here is a list of extended subscriptions, which I will update every couple of days)

-----
What a nice solution. i hope its a win win 4u2

i like to play against real people

i like to play against real people

3. A strong bot.
maybey for when i get better so there is still a challenge

no thanks

i would like games with no undo's so that would be great no misunderstandings and angry people

i would like that!

7. Option to in/vite specific players to your table
yes please

no thanks

no thanks, the beautiful pictres are enough

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
yes please , now it was a search in the beginning. maybey a smaller logg and more other overviews

10. Option to hide the log
yes, see first point 10

webbased is fine

no thanks

until now had no bad experienses yet. so not nessacairy

only the online version. how to play the game dominion allready exists

good luck!
greetz

Lottte
(or mirte)

Kirian

Hi Stef!  I think this is an interesting way to take feedback, but I'd rather not have the extended credit as I want to continue to see success from ShiT.

I'm going to start by looking at your wishlist features.  First, the stuff I don't care about and would prefer to see at the bottom of your wishlist:

3. A strong bot.

Bots are no fun, I'd rather just play a solo game if I want to test things.

Please no.

Yeah, I definitely play Dominion for the animations!  Sparkles and stars and no, screw that, I'd prefer a complete lack of animation.  Old Skool Isotropic.

Given I hate animations, I don't have a reason to hide the log.  Though again there's Old Skool hiding all but the last 2-3 turns.

Meh?  I can count on one finger the number of times I've played or wanted to play on my phone or tablet.

I think this is an interesting idea, but I frankly don't think you'll be able to do this any better than what's here now.  I can block players I don't want to play with again, that's enough.

--------

OK... Now stuff from your list I, personally, am actually interested in:

OMG PLEASE ASAP.

Seriously, though, this is the single place where you guys have severely dropped the ball.  Goko had this from the start; so did MF.  The isotropic logs made modern strategy discussion possible, and the lack of said logs in any format is barbaric.  Even if you leave it in a text format, I'm sure someone will prettify it quickly.

I also feel the current log is poorly done.  It doesn't mention when actions, buys, coins are gained, it skips other steps... it needs a rework.

This is pretty important as well, especially for tournaments and the like.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...

Yes, this is extremely important.  I know the cards, so I don't really need the split piles marked any more, but not everyone does.  The inability to see set-aside cards other than Island, NV, and Reserve Mats is really odd and need to be fixed.  Also iut can be hard to tell which thing is where.

It would be nice to have some automatic undo things, where the game state isn't even sent to your opponents until you do something that goes past that.  Autoplay of treasures and the like.

--------

The rest of the things you list for your wishlist don't really apply to me at all but might be useful for others.

A couple of things I feel you've missed:

A. Moving decisions out of the log

Sure, we've all gotten accustomed to it, but that's no reason for it not to be fixed.  It's ridiculous that, for instance, calling things from Reserve is at the bottom of the log rather than presented mid-screen.

B. (Very minor) Autoplay of treasures for Black Market.  In fact, right now the "no treasures" button is where the normal "autoplay treasures" button is, which is annoying.

I think that's it for now.

fonze232

Username: Fonze232

Thank you for offering a subscription in return for feedback.  I bought some Dominion expansion cards under the old system and then went a couple years without signing on.  I was very surprised when I logged in late December to realize that what I had purchased a couple years ago was about to expire. 

1. I hate subscription services.  I would rather you raise the price to buy online expansion cards and make them permanent.  I feel like this is much closer to the reality of buying physical game (my family has spent 100s on the expansion cards and ect.) where if you buy expansions, they are yours until the cards fall apart.  I applaud you for allowing all cards owned by anyone to be used in multiplayer as that encompasses the spirit of playing Dominion and bring your expansions along for a card game.  Paying every year to keep your cards does not encompass that spirit. 

2. I would love to see an app.

3. I am no concerned in the least with offline play.

4. I would like to see more variety in the online bots.  I think it would be awesome if you got to choose between various bots with different styles.  It would also be very cool to have a difficulty level when playing against the bots. 

5. There aren't many tables available, at least during the times I play.  I think that Dominion is very popular and marketing and free trials like this one would help grow the community.  Perhaps a free trial code in every expansion? 

6. A tutorial would be helpful, but I am guessing that most people come here because they played the game with physical cards and know how it works.  I wouldn't spend development money on a long tutorial at the moment. 

7. Free expansion days where all familiar cards are in play.  Free trials for the expansions (like this one).  Expanding a player base takes effort and giving in my opinion.  And to hit on #1 again, I'm not sure I'll ever pay for an annual subscription at the current price.  It is high and I'd rather pay more to have cards for life. 

JW

Username is JW. I know what all of the cards do without needing to read them and have played on your system a lot. In general the advice you'll get in this thread is disproportionately from very experienced players like me than your potential user base, which is much less experienced with Dominion and your system. So weight accordingly.

1.   An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots

Not a priority.

Not a priority.

3. A strong bot.

I would like it if the bot didn't fail to provide a remotely competitive game when certain cards (e.g., Chapel, Counterfeit, Donate, Bandit Fort, Colony) are on the board, which is more important for the effort than to improve its play substantially further

Would be nice for when I have less time to play, but not something I'd use all the time.

Auto grant no-info undos as a toggle (maybe that can be changed in-game) would be nice.

Not important.

Important, would make friend list meaningful.

Esperanto (just kidding!)

Somewhat important to me (and is likely to be to more important casual players). 

Very important.

Game doesn't play well enough without the log yet.

Not important.

Not important.

Game logs accessible to anyone with a link are important.

Mute chat and report to moderator would be great options.

Unlikely to be important for anyone answering this questionnaire. Potentially very important for growing your user base (I assume people generally find you after learning to play Dominion IRL, but would be great if that changed.)

I know how Dominion Online works (and even the poorly documented features like /undo followed by a # of steps), but better documentation seems very important for newer players.

Not mentioned but important: better visualization of all Kingdom cards at once. I've tried to play with relative beginners, and the lack of this feature is a huge problem for their ability to play the game.  More autoplay features would also be nice (Sauna, Explorer, Torturer to take curse when none are left, etc.). The "personal ban list" option would also be nice.

Ryan Y.

Hi, my Dominion Online name is Ryan Y.

Thank you for extending subs another 6 months, and thank you for ending the dark age of the dreaded Making Fun disconnected games!  As a long time Dominion vet, I am happy with the current state of the game.  My main concern is that the game in it's current state is not very good for new players, which include some of my friends and family who I play with, which some of the points below address.

Yes, I would especially like to see challenging Dominion "puzzles" of increasing difficulty, with alternate rules, etc. as an alternative to regular bot games.

Yes, different AIs would be fun.

3. A strong bot.

This is a must.

I would personally not use this.

Yes, especially incorporating the /undo for multiple steps into the UI.

Maybe.

Absolutely, this should be basic functionality.

No.

Yes, a game as good as Dominion deserves a great modern look.

Yes.

No, but maybe if the graphics were improved.

Yes.

No.

Rarely.

Yes, but I have not had many issues that could not be addressed by adding more features.

This is vital for new players.

Vital for new players as well.

JerseyFrank

This specific offline client?  No.  Do not want.
An offline mobile client that I can play on the train to pass 5-10 minutes?  That'd be a nice to have, but not critical.  I already have a dozen games that can fill this gap.

Doesn't matter. I never, ever play bots.

3. A strong bot.
Doesn't matter. I never, ever play bots.

Low priority if this is for total game time.  Medium priority if this is for a user-specified idle timer with a visualization of that timer.

This is self-policing and a exceptional case to need settings.

Yes, Yes, 1000x Yes.  We need events with rewards.

It's rare that I need this, but when I do, it's frustrating.

None.

I think the current animation is fine.  I would like better visualization of mats, duration, & reserve.

Yes, I don't know the split piles well enough and need a way to figure out what's inside.  Then again, I only need to play with them a few times to remember...

No, I will always play with the log on.

App, yes.  I suggest releasing an API and let people make front ends.  I don't want you bogged down in Android Hell, and this would allow people to choose the type of compromises they'd like to make (i.e., I'd be fine with a mostly-text based implementation; others may want a tablet-friendly GUI).

I don't have an iPhone.

I like bragging, but not enough to care if this is in.

Yes.  I don't like playing with some people.  I don't want them banned.  I just want to be able to escape the game.

No.

Not a priority.

Tapewormz

My username is TAPEWORMZ

I am a longtime Dominion player, and carried over from the Making Fun version.
Thank you for extending subs another 6 months!

I am very impressed with the improvements that have come to fruition over this last year!  Some of the style is a little basic still for the price of "renting" cards year by year.  However, I cannot complain about the functionality!  Really a great experience to play - and I do - a lot!
The only thing I really hate is "undo".  That's a personal thing for me though, other players seem to like it.  I expand on this later on in the survey.
Thank you for creating one of my favorite online games.  This site does justice to the board game, and that's a tall order!

The greatest improvement I can imagine is not a subscription based game.  One time fee for all cards or some with the option to upgrade.  One time fee is the best way to go.  But, that's just me. 

I don't see it as necessary, keep it all online.

I'm not sure what play styles would be different, but perhaps for learning your way around new cards this may be useful.

3. A strong bot.
Most times I am looking for online play with a live player.  I feel the bots should be more a training vehicle...not one to "beat" but one to learn some tricks from.  To show you how to be a stronger player.

No, the games take however long in direct relation to the cards pulled, the timing before a player should resign for not making their turn should be a bit shorter though.

I hate undo.  Some players seem to love it.  I think you should have an option to not play those who do or don't like undo.

Yes!  Now you're talking!

Sure, I don't often do this but I can see the advantage.

None.

I think they are very good now.

Yes!  That is a great idea.

Ya I don't need the log.  However some people like to be able to see after another player has made a quick turn.

You may lose a lot of the impact with such tiny little cards...

Again, those little screens may not show off the game as much.

No.

Yes. 

Yes for new players this would be useful...and more players...more fun for me.

Yes.

Felendis

I would really enjoy this. I really like playing the online version against other players, but do not always have the time required to commit to a game, and sometimes dont have a good internet connection on my phone or tablet.

That would be nice, but not a high priority IMO, since I doubt I would pick up on the nuances. Different difficulty levels would probably be useful.

3. A strong bot.
That would be great, I would like to get better and feel a strong bot could help me learn and knock out 'good' games faster.

Sure, but this has rarely been a problem recently.

I think the current undo system works pretty well, I have rarely run in to any problems or unfair situations.

For me personally, I would likely never use that. Coordinating that kind of time with multiple other people would be a struggle.

Not really useful for me, usually looking for quick, random games. If I want to play a specific person its usually pre-arraigned and the existing system works fine.

Not needed for me.

Not needed for me, but if it helps bring in new or more players, I can see the value in that.

Nice to have, but have learned how to use the existing system just fine.

11. Option to hide the log
Nah.

12. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
No android device.

13. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
Have iphone/ipad, and having an native app would be great, but I dont know how much I would use it (outside of offline play). I have tried to play on the web version, and it has been frustrating, so havent done it much.

14. Downloadable game logs
Not interested.

15. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
Nice to have, but havent run in to many slowplayers in a while.

16. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
Not needed for me, but certainly see the value in bringing new people to the game.

17. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
Same as above.

Username
Felendis

Hope that was helpful! :)

michaeljb

username: michaeljb

6 months for some feedback is a great deal--thanks!

I am not very interested in this.

I probably would not use this much, may be interesting if some kind of API made creating your own bot to play against the other bots possible. (I realize this is a huge feature)

3. A strong bot.
See #2

I'll probably pass on this.

I don't have any ideas for what these options would be, but this sounds like an idea with some potential.

This sounds like a double plus good idea.

Much better than hoping they are the first to join your table, though personally I tend to just use automatch.

N/A

The only thing that comes to mind for me here is better organization of cards in the played area.

Yes please!

I'm happy to always keep the log open.

I don't have an Android device.

I would be interested in playing on my iPhone/iPad. Admittedly I've never tried it out through the browser, I think I'll need to check that out.

Yes please!

Personal blacklisting I think is good enough for me.

To the extent that this idea can be separated from #16, it's not necessary for me.

This would be good to add, especially to highlight how the interface works for more exotic/complex mechanics/interactions. As a "stretch goal" version of this, I could imagine a sort of how-to-play for each expansion to learn the new interface for new mechanics, but that does naturally overlap with #15 quite a bit.
+ Attachments and other options
shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview

Post  Preview

Thorin N. Tatge

I'll be glad to offer my feedback on the site.  It's a lot of fun!  My username is "Thorin N. Tatge", same as my forum name.

Regarding the suggested features...

1. I enjoyed the campaigns on the previous owner's site and I would very likely play any new ones, especially if they were creative. :)

That would be a nice feature.

3. A strong bot.

Certainly the current bot should be improved--there are some cards it seems to just never buy.

Nah, I haven't seen the need.

I suppose the option to allow a single automatic undo would be nice!  If no new information was gained.

Nah.

Yes, that seems like a basic amenity and I was surprised it wasn't possible!

No need for me.

I would enjoy that. :)  I like chintz sometimes.

Would be nice, but I'm not exactly outraged at their lack.

No need, but seems logical.  In general, I feel like the log should never be necessary in order to do something.

No, I only play on my PC.

Heh, funny idea!  But I wouldn't use it.

Some game sites I've been to have needed this.  For example, there was a website (Lycos, maybe?) that offered Go and the interface was flawed so that a player could win just by always refusing to accept any live groups, and the moderator I spoke to had no idea why this was bad.  But I haven't seen any such problems here.

No need.  Admittedly this seems like a classy thing to include, but you said to speak for ourselves, not others, and I already know how to play.

So what improvements other than these would I like to see?

First and foremost, I want to be able to hit a button after completing a game to play again with the exact same cardset.  It seems like it really should be possible, and I imagine lots of players would like it and it would be easy to implement.  I especially find myself wanting to do this after I lose to the bot--"What did I do wrong?" I ask, and I want to try again.

I would also like to be able to save particular sets of cards, as was possible at the previous site, but that's a minor point and would be harder for you to do.

An easy fix?  Why is it possible to set all cards as familiar but not to quickly do the opposite and set all cards unfamiliar?  In particular, sometimes I want to play with only cards from a particular set, and I imagine others would like the same, and in order to do that currently I have to set all other cards as unfamiliar first, and it's a little tricky to access familiar cards from the tables anyway.  Maybe this should be a canned option.

In general, I find the way familiar cards and accessible cards work a little confusing.  Some players own certain cards and others don't, and you can set to allow unfamiliar cards... and I was confused recently when I set everything unfamiliar and got cards from Base and Prosperity only.  Maybe a little guidance on how the random cards are selected for a given game would be nice, if you haven't provided that already.

Finally, a feature to search based on the features of cards would be nifty!  Like, search for all cards in a certain set that offer +1 Buy, or trashing, or +2 Actions, or list all Victory cards in the game.

I recall that sometimes the central info bar with how many Actions, coins, etc. are available disappears during a turn and I haven't been able to figure out how to get it back.  If that's a bug, you should fix it--if it's a feature, please make it more obvious how to restore it.

That's all I can think of.  Thanks for this opportunity and for your commitment to quality!

Amys

Thanks for the offer !
Username : Amys

Offline client is certainly useful, but I have no interest in playing campaigns. I would play against bot if they are strong enough, otherwise I would prefer a "pass and play" mode to play with a person irl.

This could be interesting for beginners, not for me.

3. A strong bot.
Definitely needed in an offline client, otherwise not so much.

I think most players play already too fast. But if this can enable slower games or even asynchroneous play I would sometimes use this option. Still not a priority.

Undo is ok for me as it is.

Not interested.

Not interested.

It already exists in french, so no need for me.

Animations are fine as they are.

Yes, I definitely need that. I already spended lot of time on dominionstrategy wiki because of split or castle piles, but I understood quickly how to use the system for archive, crypt or prince.

No needed for me.

I don't use smartphone.

I don't use smartphone.

Yes, highest priority !

I don't remember having any problem with dominion players, and I don't even know if I already blacklisted once. Blacklist seems to be more than enough.

There are tons on the internet.

I think it's already intuitive enough.

I'm also interested by a "saving kingdom option" or saving self-maded kingdoms. Also it would be nice to have a button that straightly say to the chat something like "thinking, i need a little bit of time", when I play against impatient players.

MJamesK

I would probably try this out but not get really into it. Although... I ended up playing more of the goko adventures than I originally expected so I could see a situation in which I would play a lot of this if the campaigns were interesting / added interesting changes to the game.

Zero interest in normal games (non-campaign, no interesting changes) with bots so this would not be something I look forward to.

3. A strong bot.

Same, no.

I'm not sure if I would like this in the long run or not but it would be definitely something that would excite me and I would try out.

Not sure exactly what this means other than maybe "auto-decline all undo requests" or something like that? I wouldn't use such an option. If this is just another check-box for matchmaking that is basically "yes to undos or no to undos in general" I think that would be great.

Yes. I would participate in some of these for sure and I could see our game night group using it privately occasionally but probably not regularly. I would love to see this feature added.

Yeah this would make joining friends more convenient and I think would be a valuable addition.

Personally I only speak English so I would not care, but I would be happy to hear that this was done for those that would like it.

Won't really care. And I will actually not like this if it slows down the game and is not controllable.

It would be an incredible improvement to be able to examine the second half of split piles before the first half is exhausted. I would really appreciate that. Being able to hover over Archive and see what it has and/or have a GUI selection instead of text log selection would also be great. And for Prince I've always felt that your princed card(s) should be highlighted in some way - similar to when a card is about to be enchantressed - so that players don't accidentally do something stupid like trash their princed worker's village.

11. Option to hide the log

The log is very important for seeing things and even clicking on choices sometimes so I don't think I would ever use this nor care that it was added.

12. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)

I would personally use this and love it if it felt fully functional. Would be great for my group of friends' game nights.

13. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)

Would be great for my group of friends' game nights.

14. Downloadable game logs

Meh.

15. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)

Yeah this would be great. Although encountering time-wasters or those spewing hateful and offensive language has been an extremely rare occurrence for me, I would love some kind of report feature for when it does happen, such that if somebody brazenly says terribly inappropriate things over and over again, and enough people report them, it eventually gets looked into and they get chat restricted or banned or otherwise punished.

16. Tutorial on how to play Dominion

Personally wouldn't care or need but I would appreciate that it was added for new players.

17. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.

Personally wouldn't care or need but I would greatly appreciate that it was added for new (online) players.

Only other feedback / suggestion that comes to mind right now is it would be nice for players to be able to examine the entire pile of hexes and/or boons when they are in a game. Not the order they've been shuffled to or anything, but just a general list so somebody can know what to expect without having to google it.

My username is MJamesK and TY!