feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

lookinglassgirl

USERNAME - LOOKINGLASSGIRL

I love dominion, and i really like online play.  I bought all expansions, and do hope that forking over so much money will lead to an "owned" game, especially since I ALSO paid for the actual board game and most of those expansions.  I really appreciate that you are extending memberships another year.  Overall, I like this iteration a lot more than the last one.  Of features below, the really important features to me are those that would let me more easily play with my friends.  I do appreciate that you allow up to 6 players!  I also would enjoy campaigns, and getting to play against bots with different play strategies.

All responses to the features listed in the original post are in CAPS

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
YES YES YES YES!  I ACTUALLY ENJOYED THAT WITH THE LAST ITERATION
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
WOULD BE AWESOME - I HAVE FRIENDS I PLAY THE ACTUAL BOARD GAME WITH, AND IT'D BE GREAT TO PLAY AGAINST AI WHO RESEMBLES MY NEMESIS :)
3. A strong bot.
NOT SURE WHAT THAT MEANS.  IF YOU MEAN A BOT THAT BASICALLY CHOOSES ONLY NASTY ATTACKS, THEN SEE REPLY FOR #2
4. Options for timed games
NOPE. 
5. Options for undo settings
YES! 
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
WOULD BE VERY FUN! 
7. Option to invite specific players to your table
YES! 
8. More translations (to what language?)
N/A
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
ANIMATIONS DONT MATTER TO ME.  THEY SLOW GAME PLAY.
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
N/A
10. Option to hide the log
YES, PLEASE!
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
YES!!!! 
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
N/A
13. Downloadable game logs
DONT CARE ABOUT THIS
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
IT'D BE NICE TO BLOCK JERK-OFFS WHO WANT TO USE FORUM TO BE..... GROSS
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
DON'T NEED IT
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
MIGHT BE NICE WITH ALL THE EXPANSIONS... SOMETIMES PLAY ORDER IS CONFUSING AND I HAVE TO UNDO A FEW STEPS.

JunkDealer

Username: Shawnk

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:

This is my personal highest priority.  I don't really play online vs. other people, I find it a bit slow and frequently seem to end up with people who don't chat at all, which leads me to rather play a bot... more details in next point.

As far as campaign.  YES please!  THis was my favorite part of the MF edition, having completed the entire campaign multiple times.  I love the idea of playing bots with slightly altered game play and rules.  This is even more important to me then the offline client.  I'd even love to play the campaigns against real people.... ie) I play the challenger or defender role.  Custom game play is a huge appeal for me.  I can't stress how much I enjoyed and miss this part of it.  Would also love to see it developed into a legacy mode where previous games somehow impact future games, but this is again a big ask...

Including a random setting please.  Sometimes I might want to play against a banker bot, sometimes against a cascading action bot, or a balanced bot, or a combination bot.  I'd love there to be enough different play styles and behaviors that when I choose Random I have a hard time figuring out exactly which bot I'm playing against.

3. A strong bot.

Again variety is key for me on this.  I'd like to be able to set this to random as well.  So if I want to play a strong or weak bot I can, or if I want to be surprised I can be.

This doesn't interest me per se.... I can see it being an interesting approach, but I'd want it to be with bots.... more of a personal challenge to play faster.  There are too many games I've played where either myself or the other player have been called away momentarily.  I suppose a pause option here would allow timed games, but with interruptions.

The current undo works fine for me.  I don't see much that needs to be done here.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.

This is appealing, and might get me playing more.  I found the last tournament just too large for my liking which is why I didn't join in.  I like the idea of smaller and more tournaments and would love to see this developed to the point that it was mostly automatic and didn't require the overhead I think the last tournament did.  ie) automatches, a tracking system, an invitation system, etc... I could see this as being a huge feature that requires a lot of time to develop to the way I'd love to see it though.

Can't this already be done in a bit of a round about way?  I can message friends and try and match with them.  To be honest I haven't done this much, nor would I use it a lot.

Unfortunately I only speak one language.  Fortunately it's English so more translations isn't important to me.

Yes,  I'd love to be able to get rid of the log and follow game play without ever having to read the log.  So I would like this.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...

Yes please.  This is very important.  I'm starting to get to know these cards well enough to remember what the second half is, but occasionally I find myself leaving the game to double check what's on the bottom.

I know people who love the log.  I hate it.  I want to only see it at the end of the game, and most times not even then.  I want to play the game as if I were playing it in real life.  Having to pay attention during the other turns and not being able to look back at a log.  As mentioned earlier I also don't want to have to look at the log to figure out what happened.

I would love both an android and an iPhone/iPad app.  I understand the ideal of having a web app... means only maintaining one set of code, but I have yet to find a web app that works as well or seamlessly as a device specific app.

No thank you.

I'd rather see more responsiveness in the forums and feedback on plans, progress, etc... but again I don't play against real people very often.

I don't need it, but suspect it would be valuable to new players.  Ideally I'd see this built into the campaign mode.  Kind of a win/win

I don't really see how this differs from the previous point.

I know I'm a bit of a broken record here, but my biggest thing I'd like to see out of all of this is more communication.  What are plans, what are timelines, what roadblocks are you hitting and how are they impacting the timelines.  I understand that takes time and it doesn't even have to be a lot of detail, but say a weekly post of "Here's what was accomplished this week, here's what we hope to do next week, here's our updated projected deliverable dates on features x,y,z.

That there is still a post here: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=512.0 that has no updates to it bothers me.  Perhaps I'm an outlier, but the more information I have the more placated I am. Keep updates coming and I'm quite amiable to delays and issues.  It's when a date or forecast is offered and then not updated again that I start to get frustrated and disgruntled.

Appreciate the offer.... I realize this is a project of passion for you and have no idea how well it's working out (would love to even get an update on that... ie) Has this become a full time job, how many hours are you putting in, what kind of payback are you getting, etc... but realize that may be too personal of a request)

Good luck and hope it is successful in the end.

celicath

My user name is Celicath.

I play a lot of games with bots, so it will be great.
If the campaigns offer something different from normal plays it will be great, otherwise I'll rarely play it.

This would be good for me to try many different strategies, but it should be implemented after a good AI.

3. A strong bot.
I'm okay with mediocre AI, but current bot behaviour with e.g. Counterfeit should be fixed.

I think the current 'time limit' is too long, but I don't think the option will solve the problem if many people don't use it. Will be great for tournament though.

I'll love it.

Would be nice.

I'll love it.

I don't need it. I'll always have to look at the english text for rules questions.

I think these are good enough.

Great for Archive/Crypt contents, maybe certain split piles(encampment). I don't need it for Prince.

I don't like it. If the log is hidden, I might write down every important events, which is just time consuming and gaming the system.

I'll try it.

I don't need it.

Would be great for record.

I don't know if I need that. I think systems preventing them is better, like timed games or maybe chat mute feature?

I personally don't need it, but tutorials should be there if this is the official online client.

The interface can be confusing so it needs it.

And also,

Chat mute feature
I don't want to hear my opponent ranting about how unlucky they are or whatever.

Missy

My username is Missy

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots:  I'd like the campaign option, although it's not really necessary for me because I am almost always online.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles:  This would be a good option for me because I almost always play against bots, and it would add a lot to be able to change it up. 

3. A strong bot:  Yes, better bot options would be a plus.

4. Options for timed games:  Not something I would use

5. Options for undo settings:  I'm not really concerned with the undo feature

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends: This sounds like fun, but probably something I wouldn't use.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table:  This would be a good feature to have.

8. More translations (to what language?)  Not needed for me

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... I'm happy with the current animation -I don't think it would add anything to the game, and I wouldn't like it if it slowed down the play.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... no opinion - I don't think this applies to the expansions I play.

10. Option to hide the log:  I don't use the log, but I don't think there's a reason to hide it.  Wouldn't add anything for me.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?):  I would love this as long as it was easy to see the cards. I'd love to be able to play Dominion anywhere!

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)  Never use an iPhone, so not necessary for me.

13. Downloadable game logs:  Wouldn't use this

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...):  I mostly play against bots because I can't stand slow play and don't like to chat.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion: Might be good to get new players hooked, but I'd have no use for it.

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online:  Not something I would use.

Altamont

Username Altamont

Not a big fan of campaigns, so, no, this option is not interesting to me.

Sure, or maybe just a better AI, or a bot who switches strategy from game to game (and no indication as to which strategy the bot will use either)

3. A strong bot.
I'm not a great player so the current bot beats me plenty of times.

Maybe rather reduce the wait time to make the other player forfeit.

Not an issue for me.

Random mini-tournaments could be cool, although I don't often see enoug people online to fill one. Don't care about friends-only tournaments.

Not an issue to me.

Binary. :P

Don't really care. Maybe slow down bot animations so I can actually see what's going on and don't have to read the log (or I haven't found the bot speed options...)

I don't feel that's an issue.

As I don't play on small screens, not an issue.

Don't care.

Don't care.

Don't care.

Don't care.

Maybe not a tutorial, but perhaps a Dominion "encyclopedia" you can browse that explains some of the new concepts that appear in the new cards of gives rules clarifications. I'm sure this already exists but it would be nice to have it close by

I know how to play.

Personally, I think the game is fine. I very much appreciated the free year after the switch. I get that you are a different company using a different pricing model. The gold subscription price isn't outlandish (to me) but would it be possible to offer shorter (1 month, 3 months) subscriptions?

That's it for me.

Thanks for reading and have a good one!

yinzanat

I enjoyed the campaigns in the previous implementations.  Sometimes I just don't want to deal with people.
This is nice, I would use it.
3. A strong bot.
Sometimes its nice to have a challenge, and no personalities to deal with.
I don't think I'd get much use out of this.  As long as a player isn't stalling time is not important.
I'd love to have a toggle for no undo of steps that reveal hidden information.  When I don't allow these, players get angry and don't understand.
I don't have friends :)  This is interesting, but I'm not sure I would be able to use it, too much effort to get friends on at the same time.
This would have been very useful for the championship tournament from a few months ago, I would use this.
I'm an American, there are no other languages after English :).  I would not use this.
I'd prefer a no animations option, but I do like a clear indication of what was done and that's not always the case now
This would be nice, it would also be nice to be able to see what duration attacks the opponent has out (I know there are icons in the center of the screen, but they're not as obvious as a small image of the card on screen).
I use the log too much to make any use of this.  If the animations were changed to make it more obvious what was done I might consider it.
This would be great, especially if it was offline.  I spend a lot of time waiting for my children and I'm usually on Androminion.
I don't have an iPhone, so this is not for me.
I'd rather have an easy way to view them online, like goko salvager
I have found the response of the moderators to be excellent.  I've had to report a few abusive slow players and I haven't played against them again, so I think it worked.
Of no use to me, I'm an experienced player.  Might be nice to have a quick summary page, especially for new sets as they're released.
I think a good user interface makes this unnecessary.

sinatraguy

I would enjoy this a lot but it can wait until the bots mature some more. would use occasionally - especially if offered thorugh Steam
   I play mostly against bots, due to time constraints, and would enjoy the variety. would use a lot.
3. A strong bot.
   Strong as in extremely expert? This seems redundant
   Would be quite nice given my noted time constraints above. Would probably use regularly
   I can't think of what options you'd add, the current undo seems sufficient
   Would be nice but wouldn't use it much
   If you're saying - make playing with friends of specific person more intuitive - YES, this shoiuld be a high priority
   indifferent
   indifferent - if there were no animations I'd be fine with it
   I think it's alright as is, but subtle improvements can improve game play
   YES. Would be very nice
   I would play the game a lot more if I could do it on my phone easier
   indifferent
   Only seems useful for reporting bugs or issues
   I have no experience with using the current moderation so, indifferent
   A must. New players I've invited to play with me have complained about the lack of this
   I would REALLY have liked to have had this when the service launched as the interface was quite different and I screwed up a number of games and game setups until I got the hang of things. If offered I'd probably go through the tutorial still to see how to use features that I use infrequently

Other: Ability to upload avatars/profile images would be nice
Other: Ability to show off exceptional wins (through trophies or personal high scores) on a public profile would be nice as well

Username: Sinatraguy

mt8359

Hi<
My user name is mt8359.

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots: I would like this, I liked the campaigns on the
previous version.
2. A bot with different styles: I would like more variety with the bots. I mainly play against bots, but the bots seem to favor the same style each game.
3. A strong bot: Choosing strength of bots would be helpful, I am a very mediocre player but sometimes like a challenge but don't want the games too easy
4. Option for timed games: I usually play bots, but the few games I have played people, the wait time can be excruciating.
5. Options for undo: not important
6. On line mini tournaments: would not use
7. Option to invite specific players: I would not use at this time, but could see how this would be a big plus
8. More translation; would not use
9. Better animations- I think that is not needed, would like campaigns more
10. Option to hide log; not important but would be nice to make log go away
11.Android app; probably would not play on phone
12. I phone-don't have one
13. Downloadable game log - would not use
14. Improved moderation- usually play bots, but have not experienced any bad behavior in chat.
15. Tutorial on how to play dominion- would be good for me since I am only mediocre player.
16. Tutorial on how to play online- I might use this to feel more at ease in playing online players

cakewalkchampion

My username is cakewalkchampion

I wouldn't use this unless the bots were as good as humans, have no interest at present

Would not use this

3. A strong bot.
would not use this

That would be nice... Honestly sometimes when my opponent takes a long time to play, I will get distracted and do something else while waiting for my turn, and it spirals into games that will take a half hour

I like the current undo settings

Wouldn't use this

yes, surprised this doesn't already exist

Wouldn't need this

No, I find this distracting... I still somewhat miss the minimal interface of isotropic.

Better split pile visualization would be nice, I'd like to know how much is left in the deck

I wouldn't use this

Oh geez... I would love this but my productivity would go down...

I use android

Wouldn't use this

Yes, dealing with slow players would help. Chat abuse actually isn't an issue for me.

Don't need it

Don't need it

Mosquito

Absolutely.  With the MF version I played it exclusively on an iPad only against bots.  In the past year, although online, I have still only played against bots.  I don't need the campaign part of it – games with random cards is fine, but an offline client with intelligent bots is what I am really after.  If I want to play with others then I will pull out the boxes and play at the table with others.

Yes, when playing with multiple bots (I tend to play against 2 or 3 bots), it is more interesting and enjoyable if the play styles can be mixed up.  As well, as being able to pick the play style of the bot, a "random" bot that picks it's own style each game would be nice.  Then you don't know what you are playing with until you get into the game.

3. A strong bot.

Yes, as well as different play styles for the bots, different skill levels is also good.  For me, stronger bots would be good.  If my son were to start playing an offline client, he would need a weaker bot then I would so he had a chance.

I would not use this option.

I have used undo a few times.  It helps if you end up not doing what you thought you would, but it isn't a high priority.  When playing against bots if you make a mistake and and causes you the game then oh well.  You just need to play another.

I doubt I would ever use this feature.

Again, it is highly unlikely I would use this feature.

Perhaps for others but English is good for me.

Perhaps for others but I play the game for the game, not for the animation.

I find that the visualizations that exist now are sufficient to play a good game.

If we could play the game without the log (ie being able to play cards from your mat), then I would probably hide the log most of the time.  This could become more important with a mobile client as screen realestate is more limited.

Personally need it right now because I have an iPad but if I switched to an Android tablet it would become important.

I am hoping the offline client works will on an iPad.  That is where I did all my Dominion playing when it was done by MF.

I would not make any use of this.

This isn't a problem when playing only against bots. :)

Perhaps for new players.  Not important for me.

I assume the difference between 15 and 16 is that the tutorial in 16 would be specific to the client and/or the website.  A quick tutorial is helpful for new people.  Once you have played a few games it becomes much less so.  Unless your offline client is really difficult to use, I can probably figure it out without the tutorial.

I'm really missing the cards I bought when it was MF (and thought I owned).  Thank you for extending this offer.  Once the offline version is available, I will be switching to that instead of the online version.

My username is Mosquito.

YourFakeName

Username YourFakeName

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against botsI
I don't have an interest in this.

no thanks

3. A strong bot.
I like playing with humans.

Yes, good idea.  Or agreements on how long before timeout occurs shorter than the current.

This would be slightly good as I have an "always allow" policy.

Sure that sounds fun.  I'd like public tournaments, but am currently too busy to play them.

Yes, funner to play with friends.

Not needed for me

No.  Less is better.

Yes, good idea and would save me some out of game googling

Meh

Yes absolutely, I have an Android and would love that.

Yes, I have an iPad.

I think it would be good because I used to like seeing the analysis that people would do of games in the log.

I find adequate moderation of slow players, but it's easy enough to ban players if there's a chat infringement, or more often I just don't like someone.

No. dominion strategy is fine.

No

Also, thank you and good idea.

erictask

For the staff working on Dominion
With a couple of levels, having a strong bot is more enjoyable than playing bad attitude filled players when I'm home from a hard day.  I just don't want any more bad attitudes and still want a challenge. 
Sometimes I forget that I am supposed to click something else before I move on, so having an undo button is nice.  (example: using teacher is often forgotten because it is in such small words out of the way)
The animations are good enough since it is a card game and we play because of the game. 
I think being able to download updates so that the offline game can gain new sets in years to come is a nice option that I hope is considered.  That way what is out is enough.  Thank you for hearing my thoughts and for the offer for the extension. 

erictask

erictask

For the staff working on Dominion
With a couple of levels, having a strong bot is more enjoyable than playing bad attitude filled players when I'm home from a hard day.  I just don't want any more bad attitudes and still want a challenge. 
Sometimes I forget that I am supposed to click something else before I move on, so having an undo button is nice.  (example: using teacher is often forgotten because it is in such small words out of the way)
The animations are good enough since it is a card game and we play because of the game. 
I think being able to download updates so that the offline game can gain new sets in years to come is a nice option that I hope is considered.  That way what is out is enough.  Thank you for hearing my thoughts and for the offer for the extension. 

erictask

dbrauning

Yes, I would be interested in and use an offline client. My preference would be for the client to be offered on a phone or tablet (specifically, the iPhone and iPad).

Sure. I play several other games that have bots that play with different styles.

3. A strong bot.

I'm not sure what you mean by a strong bot, but I'm assuming you are talking about a bot whose play is optimized to follow the best strategy to win for the given cards. I could handle that. I do dislike bots that appear to cheat or are programmed to be too lucky.

I'm really not interested in timed games. I play informally with several friends and in the previous version of the game I found it irritating when the game timed out because a player wasn't responding. One of my friends as a medical condition and has to occasionally take time out to handle that. Seeing that we also audio chat during the game we know when he has to break, and we just wait for him to finish. It's annoying if the game times out while we are waiting. As long as there is a setting to have an un-timed game having timed games would be OK. I just wouldn't play them.

The friends that I play with would love to have an undo feature. Part of my friends medical condition is that he is partially blind, so he occasionally makes mistakes when making his turn. If we could undo before the turn is complete that would be great.

Maybe. We typically play 3-4 games when we play, so I suppose it might be interesting to setup a mini-tournament and declare a victor for the evening.

Yes, I'd like to be able to setup a "private" game where only people in my friends list can join the table. When setting up the initial game for the evening I occasionally get interlopers joining my table that I have to kick. I really hate to kick the people off the table, but the whole point of us getting online to play Dominion is so that the 4 of us can play in the same game.

Not sure that I care what other languages the game is translated to as the game already plays in the language that I speak.

I think the animations are OK as is. Maybe an option to turn them off?

For the most part I think the current visualizations are good. The biggest complaint we have is when an action a player needs to take is displayed in the log. That tends to confuse my friends as they are not as computer literate as they could be.

Yes, that would probably be nice, but I'll have to admit that I probably wouldn't hide the log as I use it to monitor whose turn it is.

I'd vote who cares for Android as I'm currently an iPhone user, but my son and his wife are Android users and I know they would play on their phones, so Yes.

Yes. And if possible configured for the ipad also.

I can't think of a situation where I'd want to download the game log, unless I was reporting a bug.

I can't say that I've had a problem with this, but I only play with my friends so we're not worried about abuse, or slow players.

I don't think I care about having a tutorial about playing Dominion. Everyone I've played with online has played the physical version of Dominion (with me) so they are all aware of the basic rules.

I brief intro to how the online version plays would be nice. For example this evening one of my friends was wondering why there was a number on her deck of cards. She didn't realize it was the number of cards left in her deck. Getting into the game seems to be rather confusing also. I have trouble walking them through joining the game as I'm providing the "table" and can't jump to that part of the interface to walk them through joining, and I always host, so I'm not familiar with joining a game.

Other: I find it really annoying that the game table covers my cards during other players turns. It would be nice if the user interface could be adjusted to not cover my cards.

My user name is Dennis Brauning

SkippyPDX

3. A strong bot.

Thanks Stef! This is a MUCH better Dominion than we had before. Thanks for putting it together.

In order that it occurs to me:

It would be nice to have a better bot.

I don't feel the need for offline play.

An iPhone app or better compatibility would be nice, but information density is a thing so if you don't think it would turn out nicely, then why bother starting?

I haven't had too much need for moderation, but then again, I tend to be a slow player :) Joking aside, moderation on the internet needs to improve in general so anything there would be good, I'm thinking that maybe chat conversations could be randomly screened by users for an in-game prize (and there should be such things, like achievements/badges, unlocking new backgrounds, a little bit more personalization, access to some beta testing of possible new cards etc.). Get unbiased, crowd sourced data on who the frequent abusers are.

the #10 can exist twice in some sets.

timed games would be fun

I think you're asking the wrong people about more translations.

better visualization would be good. Speaking of which, how can I see the list of cards in the black market?

downloadable play logs are something that would not increase my enjoyment of the game.

Options to invite players to a table sound nice. Mini-tournaments sound good too, but I have to admit that I don't see myself using those features too much, since I'm usually just showing up for a quick game.

I don't need a tutorial. Again, you're asking the wrong people. I don't know how many would-be users leave and never come back because it's all too confusing. Maybe you could put in a room for noobs to play against people with experience who answer their questions. Incentivizing experienced players with those in-game prizes might help again. Frankly, your user interface is pretty clear.

That's my thoughts. My user name is, has been, and will continue to be SkippyPDX

Again, thanks for doing this for us all.