feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

deene

Username is deene. Here is my feedback, a list of the things you mentioned that I would like the most.

4. Options for timed games -- yes I would like this
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. -- yes I would very much like this
7. Option to invite specific players to your table -- yes this would be super useful
12. iPhone app -- YES!
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - this would be very useful for new people, especially if it included strategies.

It's gotten very good over the past few months, keep up the hard work.

maced22

Stef. An offline client would  be nice, but I think that if we play it on our computers we will be online anyway (except maybe the airplane, that is when I would use it.)
The bots and AI work I think would be the most beneficial. I like the idea of phone/tablet apps. I never buy apps sight unseen and don't really like subscriptions. I would be enticed with a free app with a one time total unlock of reasonable price $10 or so. I also would want reasonably priced expansions. I am not saying these are feasible for your business model, but this is what drives me at the app store. Some games i have purchased from the app store are ticket to ride and Minecraft(before Microsoft). Tourneys are nice and I would miss out on this game online if it wasn't in my language.  These are some of the things that are important to me. thank you for the feed back and requesting ours.

Marion

User ID: maced22

houdini

Username houdini

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
I prefer playing with real player but why not to try campains.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
bots are not my pleasure.

3. A strong bot.
bots are not my pleasure.

4. Options for timed games
Maybe rather reduce the wait time.

5. Options for undo settings
Not an issue for me.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
Turnaments are interesting only when there are some prices in my opinion. As in poker, the mind is diferent when a price is to win.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table
Yes !

8. More translations (to what language?)
Not so important and i speak only frenglish ^^

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
Don't care.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
That's already fine.

10. Option to hide the log
Don't care.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
Don't care.

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
Don't care.

13. Downloadable game logs
Don't care.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
Don't care.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
Don't care.

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
Don't care.

Personally, I think the game is fine. I very much appreciated the free year after the switch.
That's it for me.

Eric83

Username Eric83

Thanks for doing this. I have been enjoying the game and notice improvements over the last year.

My highest priorities
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles - I don't know if I would care to select a play style, but I think it'd be great if there was more variability in the play style of bots. Like if there were 4 bot profiles, and playing against a bot would randomly select one.
3. A strong bot. - better AI would be highest priority. An option to change the difficulty level would be great.
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... - I did notice in last game that I had no idea my opponent had Princed a card already
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) - yes please

Medium priority
1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots - this would be fun. almost "high priority", except I think I would still be fine just playing regular matches vs bots or other users instead
5. Options for undo settings - I'm not sure what options would be introduced. It does seem that the undo doesn't always work, although better than it used to be. Maybe if you could select a point on the log to go back to that would be more useful (for bot games) then only going back one move at a time
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.

Nice to have but wouldn't affect me much
4. Options for timed games - I mostly play bot games, but my live games seem to go fast enough.
8. More translations (to what language?) - n/a
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... - animations seem fine for the most part
10. Option to hide the log - I like having the log and don't think it takes much room on a desktop
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - don't have an iPhone
13. Downloadable game logs - I don't see much use for this
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) - I mostly play against bots, so haven't had issues with this
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - I wouldn't use this, but seems like a good idea for new users
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. - I wouldn't use this, but seems like a good idea for new users

pst

Quote from: Stef on 09 January 2018, 10:33:57 AM

I don't care about offline, but I would like playing campaigns against bots.
There could be some campaigns with special rules, but I would primarily like campaigns with standard rules, first against standard bots and at the highest levels bots that are tailored for their own kingdoms, probably with the help of simulators.

Quote2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
3. A strong bot.
What I primarily want bots for now is for recreational play where I don't think a lot about how I'm playing. Maybe I'm just unwinding or have to leave soon, so don't want to start a "real" game which I might not have time to finish. This would be much more fun if the bots played a few notches better, so that would be a high priority for me. But a really strong general bot is not a high priority for me.

I'd like difficulty settings, but other than that different "play styles" are not needed.

Not that important.

Quote9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...

I'd like everything to be seen outside of the log. When that is the case it sounds reasonable that it also would be possible to hide the log, but I can't say that would be important for me, because I wouldn't do that.
Yes please for the better visualization point!

Quote11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
I don't care.

Quote13. Downloadable game logs
Nice, but not very important for me.

Quote14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)

Not worth it. I'm fine with just not playing against them again.

Quote15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion

Learning should be part of the campaigns, I think. It's good to play against bots when you are learning, and a campaign gives a sense of progress and you can introduce stuff in a sensible order. So I think there should be a free first campaign with the base set cards, with totally normal rules where act 1 is the recommended first kingdom.

Freejack

Well, this is my answer: it's not about gaming options, it's about pricing.

As you mentioned, we all thought this is a one-time payment for a wonderful game. MF didn't make such a bad job. We bought a base and some expansions. You bought it, you got it, you played with it.

I don't even need adventures, bots and the whole rest of the features, I just want to play my favourite game online. This is not a product that has to be developed on going. Just build it up and keep it running ;)

Suddenly, somebody had the idea to change this well-working platform into a sad recurring payment non-sense stuff. I think, this will not work. Not for this pricing model anyway. I would agree to pay 50 bucks for a lifetime option or MAYBE 10 bucks for a year, but not 50 bucks every year. I decided to get out of this and I even think, this will not work the way you intended. But maybe, I am wrong...

P.S. No need to think about spending me a half-year free gaming period. I won't use it. I am done.

LasseBJ

My Username: LasseBJ
My Thoughts:
I Would like to be able to click a button and see all the cards in the current game with the text visible.
+
I Would love to be able to save my choice of cards to be included in a game so i could play the same settings again later.
+
Familiar cards (I like this feature) but i would like an Accept all cards button to reset choises.

My comment on your list:

Yes, i would love this option for my Ipad
I might use this but not an important feature
3. A strong bot.
Yes Please
No Thanks
I dont care about this
I might use this
I might use this
I might look fun if the cards were in Suomi (Finnish Language) but i would not be able to read them
no need
It is often annoying to use cards like Island/Prince at the same time as cards the let you put cards back on top of your deck. Making it easier to see witch cards are doing what, or how they connect would be a big thing for me, so yes please :-)
Dident we jut have a number 10? still i might use this if i stared playing on my phone with an app. (small screen)
not currently on an android device
Yes Yes Yes
Nope, no use for that
I mainly play against bots so, not a big thing for me
Not needed for me
there is a difference ??

Keep up the good work, and i look forward to the App :-)

sm.sm

sm.sm here

I am keeping only the parts I am interested about.
3. A strong bot.
That could work wonders if there was a way to analyze and replay existing games against the bot.
Something similar to https://lichess.org/
request computer analysis - great way to learn from mistakes.
I would be even more interested in official tournaments, potentially with prizes, maybe costing some virtual currency for admission.
yes, that would be very nice to be able to play dominion on a (smart)phone.
that is less of problem recently, but still would be nice

McSquack

Hello, username is McSquack my wife is Bumblebeemama

This isn't very important to me, I may try it if the games are challenging.

This could be cool.

3. A strong bot.

Sure, why not, I mostly prefer to play real people, but I'd be willing to try it..

I like more options, but don't really know if I'd use any of these, maybe I'd try to do a tournament.

Yes! This would be great, much better than booting players.

Doesn't really affect me.

meh.

yes. please.

meh.

Droid user here, and I would LOVE an app for my phone.

This doesn't really affect me.

One feature I like from the MF version was the ability to build and save different custom decks. I actually thought this was the best feature from the old game and have been very disappointed that it wasn't carried over. I think it could be really cool to use it with the tournaments mentioned in #6.

Melanie Koester

This is how I mostly use the game. So defenitly yes.

This would be great,  maybe this would stop the bot buying masquerades. 😉

3. A strong bot.
Defenitly yes. It is beaten too easy.

Not necessary.

5. Options for undo Settings
Would be nice. But it is Not really necessary.

I never play online.

This possibilty would make me play online.

English is sufficient

Yes, so the log would be redundant. Which cards were trashed....which cards were dicarded...

Yes

Oh yes, please.

No problems so far.

No Problems.

No.

Doesn't effect me.

Maybe for beginners

Maybe for beginners.

Stefan.Hanke

Username: Stefan.Hanke

I am using german card names in quotes because I don't know the exact english translations. (Ingix: Added english names)

- have default options for e.g. "Turnier" (Tournament) or "Burggraben" (Moat). I don't want to redo this in every play.
- allow constraints in card setup. E.g. no cards that grant more buys, no cards that grant 2 actions, no attack cards without the possibility of defense, etc.
- please make the choices that I have to do inside the log explicit. Use the standard buttons in the standard place.
- I am not sure whether I continue my subscription for another full year. How about a monthly subscription option that could even be a bit more expensive?
- I am not into AI and all that, but perhaps it is possible to train bots with real plays. Perhaps this can be used to automatically create bots with a specific strength. The AI players inside "Race for the Galaxy" are quite impressive and hard to beat.

As a side note, using a forum post for this kind of thing is somewhat cumbersome. For me, I'd like to browse suggestions of other players and eventually up- or downvote them. It would make evaluating for you easier because you just look at the top 10 items and decide on which one you want to work next. Just my 2c.

markus

Quote from: Stefan.Hanke on 13 January 2018, 12:16:46 PM
- have default options for e.g. "Turnier" or "Burggraben". I don't want to redo this in every play.
- I am not sure whether I continue my subscription for another full year. How about a monthly subscription option that could even be a bit more expensive?
You can set your personal default for autoplay for each card in the options menu.

You can subscribe for shorter periods starting from 1 month. It costs the same per day but you have to pay the (small) transaction fee each time.

djebi57

That's a nice gesture of you guys. Was quite disappointed when I found out, that I could only play basic anymore.
BTW: For some reasons I played as djebi AND as djebi57. Would be nice to pick the one that I got the extensions a long time ago (I really don't know which one it was for the time being).
So here are my answers:
1.   An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots   
Definitely yes, because there are situations when I'm offline, have time, would like to play – and can't.
2.   A bot with a setting for different play styles
Yes, would be nice. I play a lot with bots, because it's just quicker.
3.   A strong bot.
At least there should be a bot, that does not keep running into some of the well known traps (like buying the last province and losing that way or buying a chapel with 5 coppers in the first draw and so on).
4.   Options for timed games
Might be good with some players...
5.   Options for undo settings
Like what? Don't quite understand. I keep misclicking sometimes so it would be good to still have some.
6.   Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
I'm not into tournaments, so...
7.   Option to invite specific players to your table
That would be a good thing!
8.   More translations (to what language?)
Not important
9.   Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
Not important
10.   Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
Would be nice!
11.   Option to hide the log
Would only be nice on the mobile
12.   Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
Improved compatibility would do it for me
13.   iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
Not relevant
14.   Downloadable game logs
Not relevant
15.   Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
Not very important
16.   Tutorial on how to play Dominion
Not important
17.   Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
Not important

yellwsub

Hi Stef!  My login is also yellwsub in the game.  Thanks for doing this poll, and good luck implementing these new features!

My top priorities are:
but mostly only if it is paired with
Since I play games on my phone on the train, where there's no internet connection.  And in order for it to be really fun, I guess there would need to be either
or
3. A strong bot.
But different difficulty levels would be really helpful since I'm not really THAT good yet :)

Relevant to online play, the thing I care the most about by far is
since the current setup leaves me having to check the wiki for "what's under Patrician again...?"

I would say many of the rest of your items fall into "sure, that sounds cool" but I wouldn't say I'm clamoring for them.  In priority order:

This would be nice, probably I would go for auto-allow undos that don't reveal info, ask for others (which I'll probably still allow because I'm nice)

I think this would be great!

Eh, I keep meaning to get my IRL friends to play online.  Maybe this would make that more likely?

If you're going to have an iPhone app, you probably ought to have an Android one as well

If it made the game space more legible I would probably do it sometimes.

I'd use it occasionally, sure.

Dealing with chat abuse couldn't hurt.  I get accused of slow playing when I'm thinking sometimes, so my main concern is that you have some process of verifying that people are really doing it to be mailicious.

I don't know how often I would use this.

Haven't really thought about this but it sounds stressful.

How would this be different from the general tutorial?

I'm probably not the best person to comment on this.

If this is going to take a ton of your dev time, I really wouldn't worry about it

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

Biggsies

Hey mate, awesome work on the client thusfar. My in game name is Biggsies. I haven't read any of the previous posts so these opinions are my own.

I've played a lot with the Shuffle iT client but admittedly not much in the last month or so, if anything I mention below has been addressed since then please feel free to ignore it!

I played so much of the MF campaign that the appeal may have worn off on me a bit, but I would use it and I love the idea in general.

May use it a little if the AI was significantly improved, wouldn't at all if it's similar to now

3. A strong bot.
Would love this

Not too interested. I find most players play at a reasonable pace, and the ones that don't I have the option to not play with in the future.

I'm not sure what these would be - like the option to auto-approve certain undos? I would use this.

When I play with friends it's for a quick couple of games, and I think automated mini tournaments might run a bit long for me. Don't see myself using this one.

YES! As happy as I am with the client I was very surprised how fiddly it was to set up a table with a friend.

n/a for me

I miss the animations and sounds of MF, quick unobtrusive animations (ie. a card disappearing off in the direction of the trash/discard/reserve etc.) would add a lot in making plays easier to absorb.

Split piles are the only big one for me from that list, I really really think the bottom card should be readable. I also reeeaaally missed the ability to see all cards with their descriptions at once when I was newer at the game. Even now, I'm more experienced but when I come back after some time away I wish I could see all cards at once.

Don't think I'd ever do this.

I have an android, but I'm not really interested in playing on my phone.

I don't have an iPhone.

I wouldn't use this, but I was perplexed when the change was made that caused the log to vanish when the game ended.

With the size of the player base right now I don't think it's important. Almost everyone is really cool and the bad eggs are easily blacklisted :)

I wouldn't use it (but of course, few replying to this post would). I don't think many are coming in to the client blind and as such most wouldn't need it.

Definitely, if only to cover how to use the log.

Love your work!