feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

bonxie

I would like the online version to mimic the way I play face to face with friends - the gaps are mostly around looking at things like archive, and mates - native village, tavern etc. And maybe a bit more help playing with new cards, my rating is taking a hit while I learn nocturnes. And would it be possible to see the whole leaderboard - maybe it is and I just haven't worked out how! The undo option is a bit generous - shouldn't be available if it's deciding not to do something which isn't a good idea once you've done it - Lookout being a good example. But difficult to programme, so maybe best left to the player to refuse.

But overall I love the online version - and I'm sure any changes will only make it better, or be neutral for me.

jameson411

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
I would not use an offline client unless I could use it to play other people.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
I prefer playing against people, I don't like to play bots.

3. A strong bot.
A strong bot is the only kind of bot I would play, even if it always beats me!

4. Options for timed games
Yes please. Reduce time for move per turn, 5 minutes is tooooo long. Also, a sudden death option would be great where if you time runs out, you lose. 10 minutes per side would be a start.

5. Options for undo settings
Sometimes I click on the wrong card so an undo setting that doesn't require approval would be nice. Can you do a setting where an undo doesn't require approval as long as it doesn't allow people to cheat like seeing the top card.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
This would be great. We have several family members that play online and I'd love to set up a tournament.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table
Yes, this would be a great option.

8. More translations (to what language?)
Not needed for me.

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
I don't care about this, the game play is fine. I enjoy the game and don't need or want flashy graphics.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
I would love to be able to "right click" on the buried cards in a split piles as I don't know them all.

10. Option to hide the log
Not needed, I like it the way it is. The trash selection is good too.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
My phone is too small to play. I love that I can play it on my Chromebook!

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
N/A for me.

13. Downloadable game logs
YES. I'd like to be able to review game play sometimes.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
Hasn't been an issue for me. The fact that you view game play when I resign and block a player is great. Since that was implemented, I have noticed that very few people play intentionally slow.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
I don't need that. The right click to see the card descriptions is enough for me.

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
All set, thanks

maos

Hi Stef, maos here.

I'll comment on the items on your list below and try to remember other things I've thought about to add when I get to the end.

Yes, please, very useful. At least the offline client, but to have something to play in it, I guess campaigns are the way to go.

This would be great - I mainly play bot games and having different bots to choose from would be most welcome.

3. A strong bot.
With different bots, I assume some will be stronger than others. Strength is not a preference for me, though.

Not interesting.

Not important, would be very low on my list.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
Not interesting.

Not important.

No thanks, I prefer English.

Yes, please! It's far too easy to miss some things happening and I'd prefer not have to use the log at all.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
Yes, please! Ideally everything should be visible, including a way to see all cards in the kingdom at once, with their texts.

It seems I jumped ahead on this one. Yes, I'd love to, given that I could still see everything that's happening.

Not interesting.

Improved compatibility is fine for me.

Not interesting.

As a severely asocial player who mostly meet Lord Rat, I don't have any problems with this. And I think I'd be fine with the options already available even if I did venture out into the social scene.

If this doesn't refer to Dominion online, I don't see a use for it.

Yes, in order to get new players in I think this is necessary. I don't see any way in at all now unless you already know the game quite well. This would of course be helped by having campaigns. For PR and info, the easiest ones should probably be for free for at least a while per user so people can get a feel for what it is they're buying.

jaxtwitch

Offline play is the no1 priority for me, as this is how I almost exclusively play

This would definitely be something I would use as this would definitely help bot playability (currently certain cards come out, and you know how each of the bots will respond, so you play to design instead)

3. A strong bot.
As above this is definitely something I would use. I expect i would always use this if this was available

This is an interesting idea, I am sure this would be something I would use occasionally if it was there

This would be useful, as occasionally I click something by mistake, however depending on the card played wouldn't be appropriate. This isn't a high priority for me though... mistakes happen

This isn't something I would likely use

This would be good.

n/a

Don't think this is needed; works fine for me.

Visualisation for seaside cards, so you can see what you have set aside for your next turn would be very useful, and would be a massive help. Put this as one of the highest priorities related to non-offline/bot playing

This would be good, but not a high priority for me

not sure if i would use this or not. Maybe....

n/a

would not use

I haven't had any issues with this when playing online. Also as I mainly play bots, not a priority for me

not needed for me

might be useful, but very low priority

username twitch

SonTaughtMeDominion

My username is ElizabethRuth, and I appreciate this opportunity to offer feedback for a chance to use my expansions for a longer period of time. Thank you! So here is the feedback:

I would appreciate this, because I almost exclusively play with bots, but I don't mind playing online.

Yes, please! All the bots in the current Dominion play in basically the same style.

3. A strong bot
I'm not exactly sure what this means. If it means a bot that you have to play well to be able to beat, yes, that's a great idea.

Since I mainly play against bots, I don't know that I'd use a timed game.

I really appreciate the Undo! I use it mainly when I click on the wrong thing by accident because the cards are close together – a mistake that only happens on a computer, not in a table game.

I personally would not use it, but I still think it's a great idea.

A great idea! (I don't know for sure that I'd use it, but if it was available, I just might.)

I personally would not use this, but I'm sure there are those who would.

I would like to actually see (clearly) what other players (including bots) purchase or gain, not just learn from reading the log. As far as cards that are played, it would be nice if treasures that are auto-played (which bots should do – not sure if they do) would all play right away rather than individually.

Yes, please! Sometimes, because of space, you will have to click or right click to be able to see piles, but it would be great to have at least a tiny version showing of certain things (Prince cards, for example) which you can click to enlarge when you need to see it better.

10. [Second #10] Option to hide the log
I think this is a great idea. I would use it.

I would personally not use this, as I don't have an Android phone or device.

I do have an iPhone, but I wouldn't play Dominion on my phone due to the size. I do play it on my iPad Mini, though, and the size is just fine. I guess it's not an app, though; I just play it in the Safari browser. (I did have the MF app.)

Personally, I would not download game logs.

Since I mainly play with bots, I have never needed moderation. (The one time I experienced chat abuse, I answered abuse with kindness, and the other person apologized immediately.)

This may not be needed if tutorials are available other places online. I learned to play Dominion as a table game first, but there have been times when I did an online search for how to use a particular card I was unfamiliar with. That was back in MF days, but I don't think it was an MF website that had the information.

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online
Yes, I think this would be helpful – possibly just some basics of how things play differently online.

srp0010@gmail.com

My username is srp0010, and I appreciate this opportunity to offer feedback for a chance to use my expansions for a longer period of time. Thank you! So here is the feedback:

This is the thing I would most enjoy.   Live players are too often slow and too concerned about rating.

Also useful.    Quick fun games, learn new cards vs deep hard games.

3. A strong bot.
Yes, see above.

When playing live this would be nice but I think people would still disconect.

Good idea.  Not required.

Yes!    Great idea.

Meh

Not for me

Not for me.  The game is the thing I come for.

Only where it improves game play.

Sure

Compatibility

Compatibility

Maybe

Yes

Not for me

Not for me

guynexdoor

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
I would like to see an OFFLINE client to for phones/tablets.
Not really familiar with play styles, so don't care much for this one.
3. A strong bot.
Def. a strong bot would be great.
Not sure if timed games are part of Dominion gameplay...
Nah
Yes. Yes. Yes. I would definitely like to see this.
Hmm..
Spanish
Perhaps this will improve an aspect of online play that I never liked...which is that when I pay in real life, I tend to pay attention to what my opponent is buying/doing. when I play online, I end up just up focusing on what I'm doing. How can we change the online experience interface so that I'm more inclined to observe my opponent?
Split piles should look like a split pile. Like one pile on top is vertical and the other is horizontal...
Nah.
App.
Nah.
Yes. Please improve.

carolyn0717

Hi Stef,

Appreciate the effort with this!  As an old MF user who had all the expansions, I am disappointed that my only options right now are to pay for the expansions on a yearly basis or only play the base set.

This would be useful if it worked on mobile

Yes, it'd be great to customize the type of bot to play against

3. A strong bot.
Yes, but less of a priority than play styles

Yes - when I play with people, it's always specific players

It would be nice, especially for when one is learning the cards

At minimum, improved compatibility, but an app would be high priority for me - I'd like to be able to play on my phone while on the go.  Capability for an offline mode would be ideal (to play while traveling - too many games require a connection nowadays)

While I wouldn't use these myself, it would be great for new players, as it would help them learn the game and continue to use it.

Thanks again!

carolyn0717

drellus

I think my biggest wish is to see a Season system. I would like to see a numerical ranking of people participating in a seasonal tournament. That'd be cool!

My username is drellus

deckme

1. Yes. Campaign was one of my favorite features on the old client. Offline would be excellent too.

2. Yes. Practicing against Big Money/Slog/Engine/etc. at will is a big boost to my learning curve.

3. Yes. I like a suggestion I read in another response, wherein users have access to the API so we can write our own bots. Having a handful of community-created bots (refined with feedback of their own) would give me another reason to pay attention to the forums. It may also solve problem 2, since some bot writers may be better at coding one play style over another.

4. Yes. This is huge for online play with real players, and would bring me there more often.

5. Yes.

6. Yes. Wonderful idea. I could get a handful of people online with me with this feature. But I'd only be able to bring them back for more if, as host, my entire subscription set of cards were available to all the players I hosted.

7. Yes, but as others suggested, only if the pop-up invite appeared in an unobtrusive corner of the screen and didn't cover up any other active buttons or info.

8. I don't need this. But if you really want, I'd use Latin and Arabic translations to continue studying those languages. The 8 or 9 folks I regularly play with would be interested in a Latin translation too.

9. I don't care. I use the game log to review what happened. I'm annoyed by long, sparkly animations that make me wait. Like when the bot plays each treasure individually, instead of all at once. I learn things in the way a bot sequences actions, but not in the way it sequences coins.

10. Yes. Being able to see the second half of a split pile at all would be an improvement.

10. Yes. As long as the Hide/Unhide button never moves from its original spot. If I suddenly experience lag, I don't want my mouse to register mystery actions because I clicked a button that changes its location when something else is toggled.

11. YES! A Dominion App on Android would immediately replace Hearthstone for me. As it is, Dominion is unplayable on my Nexus 6, which has a pretty big screen. The current layout doesn't allow me to scroll around the interface, which means some buttons are always hidden and inaccessible.

12. I don't use iPhones.

13. Cool. This would let me save those extra-special combos and situations.

14. Yes. Timed games would solve my problem with slow players, and being able to turn off chat would solve chat abuse for me.

15. I don't need it, even just for introducing new players. This is an easy game to pick up. However, it's a natural fit in the campaign format. If you make it part of the campaign, please make it optional.

16. I don't need it. Online resources seem adequate to me.

princess0992

Hello and Thank you for this opportunity.  While I understood the 1 year free I was sad when that year ended.  I live in Rural Canada with probably the slowest and most temperamental internet of many users.  My responses are almost only due to this fact.  My user name is princess0992

1. I would love more options for campaigns against bots as I have stopped playing against real people because of the frustration my slow internet was causing them.  I play quickly but my internet doesn't and so many were resigning so I felt that wasn't fair to them.  I only played bots in 2017.

2. Yes - Bots that have a variety.  It has been frustrating that they do not purchase or play attack cards.  If the bot has an estate when I play a tournament it is not played.  Black Market is never purchased by a bot.  I believe there were other cards also.

3.  Yes - Bot options!  All the bot options!

4. I do not like the idea of timed games although I may not understand the usefulness as I don't play people.  Timed turns?  That could make sense.

5. I would like the option of undoing the card played not each individual step of the card played.

6. Mini tournaments - not for me.

7. Yes - Invite specific players would be nice.

8. English works for me.

9.  I do not have an issue with the animations.

10. It would be nice to see Island cards, prince, etc.  I feel like I like have it was in 2016 but I can't remember how that was!

10 (2) I seldom use the log and think the screen space could be put to better use.  I do like the option of bringing it up.

11.  I could take or leave an android app.  Tried it once a while ago and gave up.  Have not tried again.

12.  Not an apple family.

13.  No 

14.  I honestly only had an issue once with a player using foul language and simply never played them again.  They were swearing at me due to my slow game play (Rural Canadian Internet!)

15. I would not use a tutorial.

16.  I would not use a tutoral.

Slyfox

Context: I'm a top-200 ranked player, and enjoy playing against other players. I may or may not be your target mass audience.

No intereest.

No interest.

3. A strong bot.

Unless it can be AlphaGo like smart, not really interested.

However, it might be interesting to provide a Bot API (allow others to create bots), that would be another form of engagement, but I can't really see it as high priority.

Nope.

This works pretty well.

Yes, this would be great.

Naw.

N/A for me.

Not important for me.

Yes, this is my #1 ask. Split piles, especially. And, a user should never need to click on the log. Everything should be possible with a button or pop-up on the main game screen.

Naw.

N/A.

I've never tried mobile, but if there was an app I would check it out on my iPad.

Having a repository of logs would be really interesting. Even better if it was hosted on a web service that made it really easy to query over the game logs easily to collect stats, etc. If this is something you're interested in, please reach out to me as I have specific ideas about this. There are also privacy and other issues to consider, too.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slow players, ...)

This is my second-highest priority request. I can ban someone, but it isn't clear if that ever catches up to the user or how this is reviewed, etc.

N/A

N/A.

Johoen

Hi Stef,

I like the improvements from last year!
I am happy with your longer free description for old MF users. My Username is Johoen .

Excuse me if my English is not that good, I'm not a native speaker.

To improve Dominion-online  even more I have the following suggestions:

- The possibility to make, save and replay your self choosed set of 10 cards.
- Suggested combinations of 10 cards (same as when you buy an expansion in the store).
- Translation in Dutch
- The end of each game goes too fast. You can't see the move from the last player anymore. The end of a game would feel better if you could see what happened the last move, before you go to the points.
- iT would be Nice if a game (only against bots) can be paused and saved.

On your wishlist, I have the following commands:

Great, I really miss that!

Nice!

3. A strong bot.
Also Nice

not interested

good idea

Yes!!!! I would like that

For friends yes!

I would like a Dutch translation. Also in the name of the cards. When I play from the box, I only have Dutch cards, It would be nice if the cards have the same name!

Nice, but no hurry

nice

For me the most important part of the log is to see what card(s) my opponent bought. Maybe it's possible to show the last bought card(s) until you make a click with your mouse? You can hide the log if every card and the options can be chosen aren't in the log anymore

no hurry fo me

I would like that! Especially an off- and online version for the I-pad

good idea but no hurry fo me

good idea but no hurry fo me

Not interesting for me. What would be interesting is that you can read the tutorial of a card in the deck. (I only use that when new cards give questions about how you  could play them.

Nice!

Good luck with your good work!

Johoen

MadMezza

Hi Stef,

I am an 'old MF user' and really enjoy playing Dominion.  I am happy to offer an hour of my time to give you feedback for Dominion online.  I wish for the following for dominion:-

3. A strong bot.
8. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
9. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
10. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)Definitely....
11. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
12. Tutorial on how to play dominion online and each expansion.

I hope this feedback is helpful Stef.

cheers,
MadMezza.

scottyr26

Stef

Thanks for the offer, from a old MF player, it's really appreciated.

I'm not sure that a comment on all of the ideas from me is all that valuable, but I can tell you which would be most valuable to me.

1)  Number one for me is option to invite specific guests to your table.

2)  I also like the idea of offline capability.  I travel often, and being able to play on a plane without paying for wifi would be ideal.

3)  Options for more challenging bots/flexible playstyles

Those are the top 3.  Thanks again, Stef.

scottyr26