feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

Justme

Hello

I am an old MF user and would very much appreciate an offline version (I seldom play against people because I can only play for short periods of time, sometimes not enough to finish a game).
Somethings improved after the migration from MF (like game and network stability and the possibility to leave a game unfinished for several hours and then came back to it) but other things got worse (mainly the AI).

What I would like:
- offline version;
- much better AI (at present some basic mistakes are being made, like: buying the same action card again and again when one or two are enough, use the action to trash cards even when it shouldn't be used and thrashing valuable cards, etc.);
- bots with different degrees of AI (or something like playing against a basic, intermediate or expert bot);
- challenges and trophies (like: winning without buying silvers, or golds or no money at all, winning without buying action cards over a certain price, or winning with no more than a certain number of cards on the deck, or at least a certain number of cards on the deck, and many other possibilities).

Here are my opinions on the features on your wishlist:
1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
A major like (also trophies as I already mentioned).
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
Yes
3. A strong bot.
Yes. I would like levels of difficulty (3, maybe).
4. Options for timed games
I don't feel the need.
5. Options for undo settings
I might like but it feels like cheating.
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
I like (although it's not much important for me).
7. Option to invite specific players to your table
I like (although it's not much important for me).
8. More translations (to what language?)
I don't need.
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
Might be nice but I think it's far from essential.
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
All improvements are welcome but this one doesn't seem much important to me.
10. Option to hide the log
I don't feel the need (but don't say no).
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
I don't need.
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
Mostly I play on the Mac but an iPhone/iPad app would be welcome (with offline capability) and preferable to just improved compatibility.
13. Downloadable game logs
I don't feel the need.
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
I don't feel the need.
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
I don't feel the need.
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
I don't feel the need.

Whishing you good (and fast) work on the improvements!
I'll be looking forward to the offline version.
All the best!!!

My username: Justme

Ninth Elegy

My primary wish is for stronger bots or bots with settings for different levels of difficulty. Lord Rattington should respond to the Torturer by discarding every time - especially when the curses are gone.

The annual subscription rate seems a little steep. The previous platform was more expensive upfront for all expansions; however, we never had to re-purchase the expansion or renew a subscription. We purchased each expansion for 30-40% the value of the physical game. I would have renewed my subscription immediately if the options were less expensive, if I had the ability to customize which expansions were included in the package, or if I was able to subscribe to a single expansions at a lower, immediate expense. 

Wishlist features:
            This option would be great if the bots are improved

Improving bot performance is necessary first; however, I like the idea of being able to improve my own strategies based on a variety of bot options.

3. A strong bot.
            Yes, please.

This option is less important for me.

Perhaps a setting that allows a maximum number of "undo" request would be helpful.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
            Interesting

Yes. I would definitely use this feature.

I personally do not need another translation; however, that's no reason not to be inclusive.

Not necessary

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
            Not necessary

Not necessary due to its helpfulness when playing with Native Village

I do not use Android

Yes.  I was unable to play the first few months of the year due to only having an iPad available. 

Not necessary

I have not encountered this; however, users should be able to control their experience

A wise inclusion for new players.

This offer would have been helpful when first navigating the site.

Thanks for the opportunity to participate in feedback. User name is Ninth Elegy.

LincLinc

For me, the single most important upgrade is a 100% functional mobile client.  Doesn't matter if it's a web based solution or an app for Android and iPhone.  It just needs to WORK.  Just remove the terms "right-click" and "click and drag" from your vocabulary, and a feasible touchscreen client magically appears.

Secondly, I'd like a timer variant (I wrote a whole other post on the topic, so I won't restate anything here).

Split pile ID would be nice, too.

As for Offline Mode, that should be almost the last thing on your mind right now. Your user community is large enough to sustain itself by making only the changes above, except perhaps adding more languages.

Do not neglect the CASUAL GAMERS.  MakingFun succeeded with this product because they made "FUN".

Your product is trying to make "CHAMPIONS".

There are not a sufficient number of consumers in the world who WANT to be CHAMPIONS at Dominion.  You cannot sustain a business model based on the expectation that all of your customers want a Tournament Grade experience upon every login.

Think joy. Think relaxation. The casual gamers will be your bread and butter, and the champions out there will continue to play and pay even after you do implement more mass-market philosophies in your development.

In game name:. Linc

irrationalE

irrationalE

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots - I have no interest.
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles - I only play human opponents.
3. A strong bot. - I only play human opponents
4. Options for timed games - I think this is definitely something that would be useful.  "speed Dominion" is very intriguing to me and something that I would definitely try out if available.
5. Options for undo settings - I always accept undo requests, but I do like to know that they are happening so I would not want to set up an "auto-undo" that never asks me to accept from my opponent.
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. - Very useful, especially if there is a specific "tournament mode" that perhaps is more stringent with its options and has special features.  For example - no undo allowed; never able to see spectator chat; set a format for 1st player over the course of X games (ABBAAB, ABABAB, etc..); automatically create brackets/round robin pools that track winners inside the client.
7. Option to invite specific players to your table - Yes.  This would be amazing and make it so much easier to set up games.  A corollary to this is to make "locked tables" that only allow friends to join.
8. More translations (to what language?) - I do not need more translations, but potentially a notification that your opponent is using a different language version just so you know in the event that you are trying to communicate with your opponent you will know if they speak the same language as you.
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... - I don't really care about the animations as long as it is clear to you and your opponent exactly what you are doing.
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...  - or about the visualizations as long as it is clear to you and your opponent exactly what you are doing.
10. Option to hide the log - I think this fits into a "tournament mode" option.  I think that this would be a good thing to include with that if someone wants to run a tournament without logs visible.
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) - I am not too excited about this since I don't see myself utilizing it.
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - I only have android devices.
13. Downloadable game logs - Yes. The way I learned to play dominion better was to play games and post game logs and read "game reports" on f.ds.  Sure, twitch, youtube, and discord are also important these days, but being able to look at a log of a game that you have played is very beneficial.
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) - I think a blacklist is sufficient. 
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - Yes.  I wouldn't use it since I know how to play, but a good online tutorial is one of the best ways to learn a game, and if that tutorial is anywhere it should be in the client.
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. - I think this is important.  Some things are very intuitive, but others are not.  I think the best way to do this is a drop down menu of sorts with different "how to" options.  how to...undo, play multi-stage cards (thinking hamlet as an example), etc.  Just a standard list of how to do different things within the client.

MoiraMalkin

My username is MoiraMalkin and I had used the old version of Dominion since it launched, and own 80% of the physical cards as well.

My number one for the wish list is being able to invite specific players to the table.  My partner and I used to play fairly frequently just for the convenience of not having to set up and put away the physical sets.  I also played with my brother who lives in another country.  Neither one of them has bothered to get an account with Shuffle IT because this functionality is not in place.  Mini-tournaments for friends would be a bonus!

Secondly, introducing bots with different play styles is necessary.  The AI of the current bots feels pretty rudimentary and it doesn't seem to take into account what the other player(s) are doing at all.

I would definitely play an iPhone/iPad app, especially if I could play offline.

I really enjoyed the campaigns of the previous company.  It performed 2 functions - it provided an introduction to specific cards in a controlled fashion; I learned some great combos that way.  Later in the campaign they would introduce changes to the global rules that livened up gameplay for the seasoned player.  There were a couple of "scenes" I returned to again and again for this reason.

Better animations and GUI would help some, but it's not a game stopper for me.  What you have is functional.  It's just driving your family station wagon when you'd previously been driving a red convertible.  You are getting to the same place, but with less panache.  :D

Something not on the list is the ability to only "buy" specific sets.  I found the pricing for the Gold subscription to be prohibitive, especially for a new player that would be overwhelmed with all the new cards.  You should have something between Silver and Gold where you can pick 3 sets for a certain time.  You could rotate sets and see what you like, or get them added to your Familiar list in a more controlled and automatic fashion.

Also not on the list is the ability to create or save a card set.  If I had a particularly fun game with a combo I might want to play it again with a friend.  These couldn't be ranked games, obviously, but it would add some playability I miss from the previous version.

Good luck with it all.  I have enjoyed playing so far.

- Moira

Loulou

One day I bought Dominion from Goko thinking i will have it forever. This turned out not to be true, and I am unhappy. I was very happy with your new version that just ended, I played often. Thanks for the open communication. I appreciate the extra half year of subscription. My username is Loulou. I really appreciate all the work you are doing to make this game so interesting to play.

I play the Dominion board game every week, I have eight boxes of cards and I like to play on my computer. I wish I could continue.

I would love a version offline because I still play against the computer, 1 bot, I never play with a human opponent. Being able to play offline would be useful if it were available on Apple for mobile use without an internet connection on my tablet.

My table game is in French, I would appreciate having the cards in French on a game in my computer.

A real campaign mode would also be very good, as in the old version that was played on the internetl Goko, Making Fun. I loved playing each extension at my choice.

A big improvement for me would be a feature of replaying a game with the same cards, it would allow me to try new approaches to improve my game.

Another important thing for me is just the overall polish and quality of the game's UI. This includes your 9-10 points. Namely, better graphical displays of all game states (and state changes) so that the use of the log is fundamentally optional. Better animations when cards are won / bought / played / ... Yes, especially for cards that reveal and discard cards. I do not like that I almost always have to look at the log to figure out what just happened. I think there might be a short delay when my opponent does things, he plays an action that affects me but does not require any contribution from me, that he buys a card, ... leave it on screen for a short time to have a chance to see it.

Options for timed games: Not interested, I like to take my time. Already games are moving faster than I would like.

A tutorial on how to play Dominion would be very useful for newcomers.

A tutorial on how to play dominion online would be useful too.

Hoping that these few comments will help you to continue to improve Dominion.

Royal

Hi!  Here are my thoughts!  Thanks for all the hard work!

Royal

Don't think I would ever play this.  I like playing against other people.

Again, not sure I would play this.

3. A strong bot.

OK, if I were to play a bot, then I would like to play a strong bot!

This would be fun.  Some people get annoyed if you "take too long" so this way expectations for turns would be known.  I'd likely use this option.

I'd like to be able to set it to where you can undo your own move unless you see cards.  I hate when people see cards then ask for an undo!  Otherwise, I approve undos so being able to se that automatically would be cool.

Yes!  This would be fun!

I think I'd use this sometimes.  Maybe when I'm trying to set up a three player game.

I only speak English, so I'd like translations into that.

Actually, I love the sound effects!  So I'd love a sad sound when you get a curse and a happy sound with you trash a curse.  A magic sound when you get a boon.  Sad sound when you get hexed.  Things like that!  But maybe make it where you can turn the sounds off because I've mentioned this to people in chats and some say it would annoy them whereas others say they would love the sounds!

I think this would help.

I'd likely leave it up but I can see some people liking this.

Don't use this.

It works fine on my ipad when I play online.

Wouldn't use these.

I just block them myself.  I love the blocking option!  I was never happier than when I got to block my first slow roller!

I say let them learn the hard way like we all had to!  Just kidding, I think some people may really appreciate this although most players are really helpful and will answer your questions.

Yeah, some people may like this but I think the game is pretty straight forward and easy to use.

Thanks again!

Dansk

Feedback from Dansk for extended subscription and free offline client (Thx):
Sure, but not critical. Advantage for me would be that offline would be much faster!
Would be good as long as there is a "random" choice so I can't predict what the bot will do as we now can.
3. A strong bot.
Sure, but would be better to fix the card glitches that now exist.
Not important to me.
Sure, but not that important
Sure, but not important to me.
Yes, there needs to be an easier interface for connecting with friends and seeing which friends are online to invite.
Not important for me.
Animations not important for me. In fact, they sometimes just get in the way and slow things down.
Better visualization of duration cards!!! Can't see what duration cards are in play between turns. Very important!
Opponent plays too fast so log is critical to see to find out what happened.
Would be very nice!!
Not important to me.
Haven't had a problem with it, but definitely feel there should be good moderation there.
Sure, critical for people new to the game.
Definitely!!
Other comments: A same start option would be very much appreciated!
Add duration card visibility between turns and on opponents turn.
Card exclusion for particular cards that really make the game less fun (Maybe not for tournaments but for casual play.)
Better system for tagging new friends so connections can be made again later.

petrovic

username: Petrovic

I certainly enjoyed learning the game this way with MF. I would play it for sure.
This one is of limited interest to me.
3. A strong bot.
Definitely need this. At times I know that I only have a few minutes, so need to play a bot rather than a human. But Lord Rattington is abysmally horrible, unless it is a big money board.
Although I know that sometimes I only have a few minutes, I do not like being pressured to play faster. I will play as fast as possible and usually will be understanding to someone else playing slightly slower, as long as it does not seem to be intentionally slow
My preferred option is undo is always available unless there is new information revealed.
Would not be used by me, at least not to create a tournament. I will not say that I would never join one that someone else created
Definitely would like to see this
I speak only one language (as is the case with many of my fellow countrymen)
I have no issues with the animations that currently exist.
This would be good. I dislike strongly the fact that once you get an archive played you cant see it any longer. Nothing wrong with the prince, as usually you know what you or your opponent has princed
only if you can also get rid of reactions being in the log. I really dislike reactions being in the log, as I find it easy to miss.
I am an android user, and find the client unusable on any mobile device. I loved having the app with MF, even if they did not always get things released quickly or accurately. With a mobile device, I find myself having to rotate the device to see options on the right hand side, I cant see the score at the end of the game because it cuts off in the middle of the screen and I find it to be generally unplayable. I think for this reason I have only ever tried to play against bots on a mobile device.
Not an apple user, nor likely to be
this is no interest to me. I love the game, but do not make it my life pursuit to be the best at it.
I have not seen any issues with slowplayers or chat abusers in a long time. No improvement needed as far as I can tell.
AS a seasoned player, I would not use this myself (which is how you asked us to answer the questions)
same as for #15

Soapforbody

I like the idea personally, I found the campaign in the previous version fun

This would be great... I sometimes like to play 2 bots, and to have a setting for different styles would be a cool addition.

3. A strong bot.
I think this is the most important change for me.... I read a few comments that people can just play other players if they would like a challenge, but the advantage to playing a bot is they play immediatley, no need to wait for someone who may be potentially slow. I am a pretty busy person, so being able to play a quick game against a stronger bot would be fantastic.

Great idea, i have some personal guidelines for undos myself, as long as the player didn't draw I typically don't mind giving an undo. I mean even if they draw and forgot to use a reserve card or somethig, i usually dont mind letting people go back as long as its in good faith...

YES!!!! Pls do this as well, I got a few friends I play with in real life, and i bet this would draw them into using the online game.

Great idea, althoguh it is easy to join friends already as it stands, so maybe not a priority in my eyes

I speak English and Spanish, I'm fine with English.

Not so important to me.

Not super important to me.... but I can see how it might help some people if they are less familiar with those cards

Why would you want to hide the log? the log is so key..

Don't have an android phone

you can play on your iphone?! An app would be a good idea... I'd probably use it

I would like this, but im not sure who I could share them with... Overall not super important for me.

It seems like there are fewer of these players than a year ago, so i feel like the moderation is going well as it stands. Plus you can block players who do this, so for me this isn't so important.

Not useful for me, probably a good idea for new players though.

Not useful for me, probably a good idea for new players though.

Atlarian

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
    As someone who has played primarily vs bots, this is something I would really like to see

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles -  Would appreciate
3. A strong bot.  - Yes, as long as play style vaires
4. Options for timed games -no
5. Options for undo settings - I would like
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. - would not use, prefer solo play
7. Option to invite specific players to your table - would not use due to solo play
8. More translations (to what language?)  no need
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...  - no need
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...  could be useful
10. Option to hide the log -yes
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)  this could be interesting
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)  - android user  n/a
13. Downloadable game logs - I would not use, but could see others liking them to learn
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)  n/a when only playingh with bots
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion  - useful when new sets occur
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.  -could help new players

user name  Atlarian

TheStorm042

Thanks for doing this, very generous of you!  Hope the feedback is useful!

Username:  TheStorm042

100% of my dominion play is either (1) myself against bots or (2) myself with 1-2 (known) friends, usually in the same physical room.  (we don't like to play with the physical cards because setup time involved when you want a different set of cards each game)

Anything that supports one or both of these use cases would be swell.  If offline really means "offline" rather than, say, direct connections only, then it doesn't really have much value to me beyond playing bots online.  I assume you're not going to give free access to multiplayer, though I would pay (one-time) for that if it was an option.

Also, my laptop is a Chromebook, so a webapp is more useful to me than, say, a Windows or Mac application.  So, the offer for "free offline client" could be replaced by "free perpetual access to cards online but only in bot games" and I'd be just as happy.

3. A strong bot.
As mentioned, bot play is very important to me.  Honestly, I don't mind the current difficulty -- I win most of the time (which feels good) but not all the time (which would be boring).  But, if you have ideas to make this more interesting, great!

For the most part, not interested.  HOWEVER, if the time allowed could be asymmetrical to give one player a handicap, that would be fun and useful to me.  Timing might also be interesting to resolve ties and/or have a penalty system (lose on VP for every minute over the limit or some such).

Someone else mentioned a setting to auto-allow any undos in which you haven't received new information yet (e.g., seen new cards).  I would be very supportive of this.

Probably not something I'd use.

As I said, this is a primary use case, but I haven't had trouble playing matches with my friends to date, so I'm not sure what this would add over and above current feature.  You know my use case; I'll let you decide how important this is then :)

Klingon or Elvish would be cool.

(seriously, though, for me personally, English is all that's needed)

I don't care about animations.  However, one thing I haven't figure out yet is how to balance speed (I don't like watching my cards slowly float to the discard pile) vs. being able to clearly see what the opponent has done.  Tough question, IMO.

I haven't actually used Prince in any games, so am not sure here.  Everything else seems to visualize well.  Although a small note is that it's not immediately obvious where to click to see your mat contents (once you have figured it out, it's fine).

I like the log.  Even if I didn't, I'm not sure what else I'd do with that space.  I guess some people might prefer the aesthetics of not seeing it, but that doesn't bother me.

nit:  There are two #10s :)

I would certainly download and install this, but suspect that I'd rarely play it in practice.

n/a

No interest.

No interest.

I guess this would be nice.  Would only be useful to me if, say, I'm trying to get a friend to check out the game.  But, honestly, I think anyone I'd want to play with would be able to figure it out sans tutorial.  That said, this seems useful to YOU, to help get more players!

A good UI should render this unnecessary.  You're almost there, except for small things like I mentioned in the first #10.  But a FAQ or in game tooltips should be able to accomplish this more efficiently than a tutorial.

COmissMissy

I agree with other users that I've noticed and appreciate the improvements made over the last year. I also appreciate the extra half year of subscription offer. My username is MissMissy. Just because this just happened and I'm thinking about it, one "wish" that I might have would to allow users to restrict table access to friends only. There are many times that I am starting a table to play with a specific friend (or friends) and must kick another player who arrives first.

Here are my thoughts on the items on your list:

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots.
I wouldn't really use this because I'm online most of the time.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles.
I'm not sure what you mean by "play styles."  Difficulty settings would be nice.

3. A strong bot.
Yes, difficulty settings would be nice.

4. Options for timed games.
I'm not sure what this would mean. I've never played a timed game.

5. Options for undo settings.
Does this mean the option to turn off undo settings? I don't really use Undo that often anyway.

Yes, I could see this being fun.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table.
Hah, yes, please (basically the same thing I requested above).

8. More translations (to what language?).
Not needed for me.

This isn't all that important to me.

Yes, please.

I will never hide the log.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?).
I generally don't play games on my phone.

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?).
I don't have an iPhone.

13. Downloadable game logs.
Not sure that I'd ever use this.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slow players, ...).
I've never had an issue, but I've seen some chatter.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion.
Yes, this is important. General information on each of the Kingdoms would be nice too.

16. Tutorial on how to play Dominion online.
Shouldn't this be the same as regular Dominion?

Thanks!

rafatarkus

Hello,
Thanks in advance. My username is rafatarkus. Here's the feedback

I really like to play campaigns but I don't think an offline client is necessary

Yes, from very easy (for newbies)  to very hard (for advanced)

3. A strong bot.
See above

No necessary

Yes, it would be fine

Although I can read and understand English fluedly, a translation to Spanish would be fine.

No. The actual animation is OK

I would like a visualization for the Native Village stack (or at least to know how many cards are stacked)

No. The log is very useful

I don't need it but I suppose it would be OK for others

Yes, and/or a way to review the log when the game has finished.

Yes. I think it should be a way to be more specific on why a player is being marked  with bad behaviour

Definitely. I liked the old tutorials and they were very useful

I think it can be the same tutorial for the question 15.

Last but not least, I'd like more official tournaments.

Thanks!

mh01

Thanks for doing this!  My thoughts follow.  I separated the duplicated '10' into 10A and 10B.  My username is mh01

Bots: It's hard for me to imagine what playing against well-designed bots would be like.  Could be really cool, but I'm just having trouble prioritizing 1, 2, and 3 because I don't know what they might realistically look like.
3. A strong bot.

This would be awesome, for the challenge of it, but also for times when I have 10 minutes to play "just one more" game of Dominion.

Low priority for me, but I'd find it useful to be able to pre-approve all undo requests from certain players (including but not limited to friends).

Low priority for me, but I support the idea.

Moderate priority.

Latin!  But don't take away time from anything people care about to do that..

As long as they don't slow the game down.

10A. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
Moderate priority.

10B. Option to hide the log
Not interested.

Not relevant for me.

High priority.  I prefer a good app to a good web interface.

High priority.  I don't understand why the log is visible right up until the very end of the game, but then as soon as the game ends it vanishes into the ether.  I understand there must be reasons for that, but it's a source of frustration.

I haven't found this to be an issue at all.

Not relevant for me.

Low priority.  I play functionally, but every so often I learn about a feature I'd never known about, so a tutorial about the online mechanics could be really instructive.

In order:

10A. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...

3. A strong bot.

10B. Option to hide the log