feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

Fajher

Greetings - My username is Fajher. Here's my feedback...

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
I very much miss the campaign component of the old Dominion so definitely would like to see it back.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
Absolutely. Would provide much needed variety & more challenges.

3. A strong bot.
Not sure how this would differ from the bot with settings, but yes the option for a strong bot would be great.

4. Options for timed games
Not of interest to me

5. Options for undo settings
Not sure what this means, but if it's the option to recall a certain card play then I'd say no as I go by the "card laid is a card played" rule

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
Don't currently have a lot of Dominion friends, but sounds like a good idea.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table
Why not?

8. More translations (to what language?)
Don't know what options currently exist, but if you are looking to expand play globally, why not?

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
Sounds interesting and could foresee some entertaining graphics for when certain cards are played.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
Better is usually better...

10. Option to hide the log
Yes

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
Yes.  Just lost one of my online Carcassone buds when he switched over from iPhone

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
I'd think this would be reciprocal to my #11 for current Android users

13. Downloadable game logs
I don't get that in depth with this game

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
Good idea. I've had a couple online opponents that could use calling out for this

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
Absolutely and should include some basic tips on card combinations

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
ditto

Thanks... keep up the great work and hope to see the off line campaign games return soon!

keithksf

Hi. Thanks for the generous offer, but like many here, I don't feel a need for you to compensate me for giving feedback, and I don't think that it's your fault that my transaction with MF worked out badly.

Currently, I only play against people, but I would be interested in (a) campaign(s) like the old ones on MF if the AI were challenging (so this links to #3 below). It's not a high priority, but I'd enjoy it. And while you sensibly said to answer only about what each of us personally wants, I'll also answer on behalf of my 9-year-old daughter, who had her own MF account and greatly enjoyed the campaigns, and might well be drawn back into online play (i.e., I would get her an account again) if they returned.

2-3. A bot with a setting for different play styles / A strong bot.
Not high priorities for me except in re campaigns, but I might enjoy experimenting with them if they existed.

It's a good idea in theory, but I haven't found slow play a problem in practice (with rare exceptions), so it's a low priority to me.

As many seem to do, I support this--especially automatic undo for steps that didn't yield new information.

6-7. Online mini-tournaments; ... Option to invite specific players .
These are not a priority for me, as I tend simply to play with strangers. If I had friends who routinely played, it would be great.

N/A (English-speaking)

Yes. This is a very high priority for me.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
Also a very high priority.

Not particularly important to me, but might be nice.

Assuming that this encompasses tablets as well as phones, this is also a very high priority for me. (I wouldn't play on a phone, but would love to do so on my tablet.) That would include simply making an app that allowed online play with people, though I understand why an offline client for play against bots/campaigns is the ultimate goal. (I very often play against people on other, similar apps--e.g., Ascension--on my iPad on the subway, in cars with ride-share services, etc., using my phone as a wifi hotspot.) Maybe it wouldn't make economic sense to make an app *before* you have better AI--i.e., to make an app that would just be for playing online--but I'd buy it in a second if you did.

Another in the not-important-to-me-but-I-see-why-it's-useful category.

Not a priority only because I haven't had significant problems.

15-16. Tutorial on how to play Dominion / Dominion online
Not important to me.

Thanks again for all your efforts and for the online product, which I greatly enjoy.
-Keith

Thorfor

Hi,

here are my comments to your issues (I am German, so I apologize in advance for mistakes ;-)

I would appreciate because there is not WiFi everywhere, especially in Germany :-)
    I really liked the campaign because the AI played specials tactics and you had to find a solution to beat it
    not so important for me, I want the strongest opponent possible, I want to get better..
3. A strong bot.
    see my comment in 2; as strong as possible; btw: I think the bots play much better than e.g. 1 year ago; it´s fun to play with them
    not so important for me because I don´t play with unknown opponents
    the present one is ok for me
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
    don´t need for now because I don´t have so many friends who play Dominion online
    yes, would be cool; I am used to this option from other online games
    German is sufficient for me
    not so important; there is also the log to see transactions which were done
    yes, this would be a great thing
    nice, but not necessary
    I play on my Android tablet with browser; unfortunately not all browsers support fullscreen but I found one
    I don´t have one, so no issue for me
    not necessary for me
    since I don´t play with unknown player I have no feeling how big is the need for that
    not necessary for me personally but perhaps for new players
    same as 15.

I really like the Dominion user interface and have fun playing this great game; some improvements would be great (see issue 10, first one  ;) )
One correction: there is a spelling mistake in the German translation of the Empires card "Royal Blacksmith": correct would be "Königlicher Schmied" instead of "Könglicher Schmied"

Many thanks,
Thorfor

alexandros_a

Hi there! My username is alexandros_a

Features numbered 2,3,4,5,6,7,10,11,12,14 would all be more than welcomed from me! The rest wouldn't make me a difference.

In the online timed games I would also like to have the option to pause for i.e. 2 times, for 3 minutes a time, so that the other player would know exactly how much time he/she would have to do stg else. Generally time flexibility against other human players would add to the experience. Sometimes I choose to play against bot just because I suspect that I may receive a telephone call or have to reply to some other contact within the next few minutes and I don't want to obstruct a possible human game. Having the ability to pause and name this category i.e. "slow game" might give the opportunity to enjoy the game more against human intelligence!

Cheers

HinghamtoHingham

Thanks for this opportunity Stef please see comments below

I would like this as I have problems being on line at times.

I do most of my playing against bots. I normally do 2 player and I find Lord Rattington very limited. In particular when he is using Apothecary or Counterfeit, he will pursue those cards against any rationality and the game is always an easy win.

I would like to have a range of different bots with different characteristics, some obvious and some random a bit like the opponents in Sid Meir's Civilization.

3. A strong bot.

Being able to calibrate the strength of the bot would be helpful, again see ref to civilisation above.

Could be interesting could be done like a chess tournament match with an on screen clock. You could agree with your opponent time to look at cards at the beginning and then an overall time for the game divided by 2

I don't really like undo, it's ok with bots but then the temptation is to go back and back to create the ultimate right game. With live opponents it creates a potential for conflict, again before a game the players could agree for undo to be on/off. You could also get a max of one or two asks per game.

Could be fun

Not specifically bothered.

Won't help me except it might increase interaction with players who are not English speakers.

I don't like the current animation, the swirling of the cards makes me feel slightly nauseated and it puts me off 4 player games which I used to play all the time under the MF system. The four player system is far too crowded.

Split piles yes, so that you had an explanation when you put the cursor over it.
Also here's an idea, not in line with the rules but why not shuffle the split pile.

Yes

N/A

I probably wouldn't use it, the screen is too small

Can't see the point.

Yes. There should be an easily visible report button

Yes

Could it include a brief on each expansion and the philosophy behind it.

Yes

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to feedback and I appreciate your sensitivity to those of us who used to be MF clients.

Couple of other things.

I really don't like the layout in Familiar Cards. Could it not also encompass the other features that have come in with recent expansions.
Also could there be options so that we draw from certain sets so eg that you could have a game using basic, intrigue and nocturne as an option?

With thanks

Colin
(HinghamtoHingham)

SirDagen

Being a developer myself I have lots of sympathy for the difficulty of your task and the fact that it took longer than expected. I really like Dominion and enjoy playing it with your new client. Thank you for putting all the love and effort into creating it the way it is now.

For me the monthly price is a bit too high to keep it running so that I buy it for a month if I feel to do it again. The main reason for this is my lower interest in playing online games for distraction. I do not use it enough, although if I do I am very glad it is there.

(Since the Dominion community is so capable and willing to participate I think offering APIs to be able to contribute would be a great addition, e.g. to develop a strong bot or to prettify the log, etc. Although I do know that stuff like this tends to be a lot of work and might therefore not help you at all.)

I gladly answer your questions:

I do not need it at all.

no

3. A strong bot.
A decently strong bot, e.g. that plays big money plus a key card, is enough for me. Although I would enjoy having a really strong one, it is not my priority.

I would really love this - a lot. Like in chess, if you play complicated stuff you can do this with higher time controls or must know what to do.

Yes, I love to have: auto for no information reveal and grant for others.

Nice to have, but no priority

yes please

no

not interested

yes, i want to see both cards of the split piles

no

no

no

I loved the old, beautiful councilroom game logs for analysis. Somebody should provide these please.

I would like to have a mute button in case the opponent annoys me very much.

no

no

My username is sirdagen.
Greetings,
SirDagen

Jabba

Hi,

my username is Jabba. Here's my feedback. All I all my strongest wish for the next implementations is an improved AI.

--> I don't care a lot about this.

--> It would be nice to choose how strong the bot would play. I strongly appreciate developing a strong bot.

3. A strong bot.
--> Yes!

--> I don't need it. Except from extra slow play I like that there's no time pressure and you take your time to think about your strategy in the next turns. In my opinion the time you need to thinks depends strongly on the selected kingdom cards on the board.

--> That's fine as it actually is.

--> That would be great.

--> Not necessary for me.

--> Huttese would be great!!  :)  Otherwise it's not necessary for me.

--> I don't need it.

--> That would be nice to have.

10. Option to hide the log.
--> I appreciate that there's a log, I don't want to hide it.

11./12. Android/iphone app (or just improved compatibility?)
--> That would be nice, but not my highest priority.

--> If that is easy to implement, it would be nice, otherwise not.

--> In the last months I haven't had problems with any of it.

15./16. Tutorial on how to play Dominion/Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
--> I think if you know Dominion, the online version is kind of self-explaining. A general tutorial on how to play Dominion would be nice, but I tend to think most players playing online know Dominion from the card game?

Cheers from Tatooine!

twsb

Hi Stef - My username is twsb

ere are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:

I actually really enjoyed this in the old version - some of the campaign levels were really difficult and I'd have to work on different strategies to beat the bots or get all the stars. So, I'd definitely play campaigns like that.

I would appreciate having more than one bot and having them be different levels of difficulty.

3. A strong bot.

Yes! This is really frustrating in this version.

I don't know how this would work, but I'd like to be able to judge the time better.  It is frustrating to start an online game with plenty of time and then have to resign (even if I'm winning) because the game is just taking way too long and I'm out of time. This is often from slow players.

Does this mean that you could say at the beginning of the game whether undos would be allowed? Or undos in certain situations.  I am generous with undos since I sometimes click wrong, but some people abuse them.  For instance, I would want to block undos after a player has drawn new cards during the turn.

Not necessary; could be fun.

Yes, this would be very, very useful!

Not needed for me

I'm fine with the animations

Yes. This is frustrating for me, especially with unfamiliar cards.

Not necessary

Not for me

Yes, please! I used to play the old game on my iPad and have missed having a ios app

This could be helpful, not not a high priority

I've just sent messages to moderators and then blocked players, so I don't know how the moderation is now

This would be extremely helpful.  It would be helpful to have them for new expansions as well.  It would also be helpful to be able to click on individual cards for mini tutorials, or to have access to strategy guides.

This would be good for new players.  I could use more help functionality

Thanks for the opportunity to give feedback!

Twsb

aku chi

Hi, Stef.  aku chi here.

Personal wishes:

• Add the option to add an eleventh card to the kingdom (twelfth with Young Witch, I guess).  This would make it possible to stage what I'm calling "judgement matches" where there's a random 9-card kingdom plus card A and card B, Player 1 doesn't use card B and player 2 doesn't use card A.
  • Add more options for starting player.  In particular: loser goes first (the actual rules of Dominion) and rotating (useful for tournaments).
  • Add an option to disallow non-friends from playing a table I create.  When I'm scheduling a match against a particular person, I don't mind if non-friends want to join to spectate, but it's annoying when they join the table expecting to play.
  • In ranked (and tournament) games, "players can see spectator chat" should be false by default.
  • Some visualization of opponent handsize in 3+ player games.
  • Whisper chat.  Being able to whisper to a particular player would be nice, especially outside of a table.

Of the features on your wishlist, the following would be personally valuable to me (most important bolded):
3. A strong bot.

I'm sure some of the other features would be helpful for newer players, especially tutorials.  Thanks for seeking feedback!

kwiggen

Thanks for the offer - here are my comments:  My name in the game is Kevin Wiggen

I have been playing online dominion since the isotropic days.  I use dominion as a quick break from work.  My biggest asks:

1)  Speed.  I don't have much time so the quicker the game is, the better it is for me.  I don't care about cards shuffling or animationns, I want a quick game because i probably should be working instead.

2)  iphone+ support.  I use my phone for most things.  I don't own a tablet, but i own the + size iphone.  I would love to play on this device (app or not i don't care).  In the past the app has not supported phone, even though my screen is pretty big.

3)  I want a way to see what cards are sitting on my "mat".  Some cards move to a mat in the game, and i can't find a way to view whats on the mat.

4)  Ability to say up front what cards i don't want to play with.  I simply resign when i see a certain set of cards as they aren't fun for me.  Possession for instance

Your wishlist:

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
   -- don't care i never play offline or against bots

-- don't play bots

3. A strong bot.
   -- don't play bots

-- It would be nice to know up front if i am entering a game with Colonies.  These are usually longer games and sometimes i don't have time.

-- Undo is one of the best things you guys added.  It was needed for YEARS.  Don't make it too complicated.

-- don't care

-- don't care

-- don't care

-- please don't slow things down.  Also remember that since i usually play others, if they have on amazing animations and i don't, my game is slowed down.

-- maybe

-- i like the log so i don't need this

-- don't care

-- YES ON MY + please

-- don't care

-- I hit the occasional asshole, but i find most people are cool. 

-- don't care

-- don't care
[/quote]

almennur

The nickname is almennur.

I would rather have a feature when I have to have subscription to play with other human players, but can play bots with once purchased expansions for free all the time within the same "online" client.

The more the merrier.

3. A strong bot.

Stronger than humans? Yes, please!

Absolutely.

Yes, please.

I could use it.

Yes, it will help to avoid confusion.

Not a priority to me.

I would love to see sharper animations that convey more information within a shorter period.

It would be helpful.

Not a priority.

Will it be usable on a small screen?

Will it be usable on a small screen?

Oh yeah, stats is the key for developing new strategies.

It could be useful.

Like a campaign? Sure.

Could be integrated with the point above.

Formosare

Josh Glover

First of all, I love the game and the community around it. For me, the real strength of the game is that the vast majority of people who play are respectful of each other. I don't see much abusive behaviour at all, and many people are really nice, some going so far as to offer tips and strategies to less experienced players.

I absolutely loved the campaigns in the old MF game, so I would really like to see something similar here.

As for the features that I would most like to see:

Cheers,
Josh

Gluehwuermchen

Hi!

My nickname is LiLa, thank you very much for the offer! Here are my thoughts concerning the various points:

1. An offline client allowing you to play campaigns against bots
I would probably use this, when not having a good internet connection

2. A bot with a setting for different play stiles/
3. A strong bot
I don't play against bots now, guess I would not use that

4. Options for timed games/
Haven't missed that until now

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends
Could be interesting, maybe I would use that, although I only played against random players until now

7. Options to invite specific players to your table
That would be a good feature, I would appreciate that

8. More translations
Not needed here. I play the English version which I am used to rather than the German version, although I'm German.

9. Better animations
Not required

10. Better visualization of split piles, etc.
That would be great! Maybe it's because I play on the iPad or it's because I'm not so much into technical matters, but I could never see the lower part of split piles, so I would very much appreciate that!

11. Option to hide the log
Why should I want to do this? Could not follow the game then!

12. Android app/
13. iPhone app
Not needed here

14. Downloadable game logs
I would not use that. As soon as the game is over, it's over, I do not analyze that.

15. Improved moderation
Not needed here

16. Tutorial on how to play Dominion/
17. Tutorial on how to play Dominion online
Yes, that would be a good idea! Maybe I could get some friends from real life to playing it then, because I do not play the card game IRL any more, as one short game takes such a lot of preparation time.

Ranna156

Thanks for offering this Stef. My username is the same as on here - Ranna156

I am actually pretty happy with how far you have come. You seem to handle glitches pretty quickly. I haven't tried it yet, but i think i recall you saying that you guys fixed the android issue of not being able to order cards.

I am having trouble thinking of all the things I would like, but here are a few:

One thing that bothers me is when there is a DONATE on the board and you buy the last province or 3rd pile (whatever) and you also hit DONATE it won't allow you to trash cards. I don't see why it wouldn't do that when it should. There are games with curses and also games where that event that gives you +1 VP if you trash a card is on the board. Anyway not sure what DonaldX intended with the DONATE option but I don't see why you can't trash after the last card is bought since it is still your turn...UPDATE: just went back and read the DONATE card and it does specify after your turn...would still be cool to be able to do. I would like to know what the initial intent was and if actually should really be allowed.

MF had an option where you could create your own deck and save it. I really enjoyed that and would make decks all the time (and save them) and try different things. Also then play them at various times. It would be nice if we had that option here (and not in the way you currently can).

Another feedback (and this isn't an issue for me since i get it): I was recently in a game with someone who tried to mint one of those coins that may start in your deck instead of a copper. He got upset when he couldn't do it and i tried to explain that there is not a supply of them so you can't mint them. He said something like 'well the card doesn't say from the supply it just says to gain a copy'. Anyway maybe in the next update of that card add the words 'from the supply'.

I notice sometimes that even though i have rated game checked, when i search it will somehow put me in an unrated game. Glitch? Or is something going on I am not aware of? UPDATE: I am not sure how the whole resigning/adding a bot thing works. Does adding a bot automatically make the game unrated? And what happens to the player who resigned or got made to resign ranking? If it automatically makes the game unrated then that I think this area needs some work and/or options or something.

UPDATE: Another issue i have is when in a 3 player game someone either resigns or gets made to resign so a bot goes in. Great. Then the other person might eventually resign and then it just says you tied the game with the other bot. Anyway this kind of ties in with the above but I think it would be nice if it could stay rated and you just play out the game with the two bots. Only once did it say that I won, but I think that was only because there was absolutely no way anyone else could have. Not sure if it then went to unrated though.

UPDATE: it would be nice to be able to add a note to your blacklist and friend list about the person. I have recently starting banning people who take a lot of time to play (and not necessarily slow rolling the game) or who seem to resign a lot. It would be nice to add a note so that if in the future the way the resigning etc gets fixed I can go back and unblock someone. Also, it would be nice to add notes on friends...for example there is a 'friend' who sometimes gets in my table and will consistently buy up all the cards in a pile or two and then the game ends. I would like to add a note to this person so that I can remember to adjust my playing based on what I figure they are going to do.

Below are my answers:

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots - yes i would appreciate especially if i could re-download it if I got a new computer etc. I don't play with bots here online, but i did enjoy the campaigns on MF.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles - sure if it could help teach improve my game. I am good at 3 player dominion but totally suck at 2 player.
3. A strong bot. - yes
4. Options for timed games - yes
5. Options for undo settings - yes
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. - never done a tournament but sure
7. Option to invite specific players to your table - yes, also i think it would be nice to just be able to advertise your game and what the settings are. Also if we could build & save decks that would be nice too (mentioned that above).
8. More translations (to what language?) - As long as you have English I am good.
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... - Don't care
10. Option to hide the log - only if we don't have to use it for anything
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... - sure especially on split piles
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) - Mentioned above
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - N/A
13. Downloadable game logs - sure
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) - YES although i will say the blocking seems to have worked really well lately. I think most slow players i encounter now actually have comp issues rather than being jerks. Although I still do randomly encounter one. It would be nice if there was a 'report abuse' button.
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - N/A for me, but i think it would be nice for newcomers.
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. - uh sure.