feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Ich

Hi Stef! Really appreciate this gesture.

I'm happy to provide feedback from the perspective of a casual player over the last few years.

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots

Not too interested in this. I could see myself using on a mobile device while on an airplane or something similar, but that's about it. An offline LAN type of client would be interesting, but probably much more difficult and old-fashioned.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles

Rarely play bots, but could see it being useful. Likely low priority.

3. A strong bot.

Same feelings as prior answer. Better than a weak bot I suppose!

4. Options for timed games

This would be great. Could see it being really fun! I imagine it could get rather tricky with engine builds though.

5. Options for undo settings

This is definitely a nice-to-have, but rather low priority IMO.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.

I personally wouldn't use this much, but it sounds really fun.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table

For me, this would be a fantastic feature since I mostly play with the same few people.

8. More translations (to what language?)

English is perfect for me.

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...

Another nice-to-have. Wouldn't say it's top priority, but can't hurt.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...

Definitely this as a high priority IMO. Split piles in particular are a pain in the current state.

10. Option to hide the log

This could be nice/fun. I like this feature, but definitely just a nice-to-have.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)

Doesn't affect me.

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)

This would be nice, but I don't think it is worth a major engineering effort if would be required. Tablets perform better on the mobile side.

13. Downloadable game logs

For me personally, not a big deal. I know more competitive players that would enjoy this, however.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)

Doesn't affect me, never really had issues.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion

I think this could be very helpful for new players, and for aiding friends you introduce to the game. The game itself is already quite complex, and, when having to explain the nuances in the UI on top of everything, it can be overwhelming.

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.

Ah, previous answer sort of answers both 15 and 16. Tutorials are definitely welcome though!

Additional thoughts.

A few last things that come to mind:

-A way to easily follow top players or the current "top game" in progress (if they allow spectators of course).

-Music! I miss this about the old client. Something nostalgic about cheesy music playing. Toggle-able of course.

Thanks again for opening up discussion here. My IGN is the same as my forum name here and I currently have all expansions.

Cheers!

marfik57

Hi,

Dominion Online hs greatly evolved during last year and now its a real pleasure to play it, so I appreciate a lot your offer as it is much nicer to play with all the extension, and I can't afford myself to buy them on and on each year. My feedback is summarised below. My username is marfik57.

That would be good, providing that bots are playing really well, at least that what I remember from few years ago, I haven't played with them for a while. It could be also good to have an opportunity to play with friends on a sinle computer.

It will be fun, espaecially if you have also an option with a random choice, so that you don't know in advance.

3. A strong bot.

Sure, other way there is no sense  in it :)

That will be good for online implementing in order not to wait for too long for some of the partners.

Simple undo as it is now is enough.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.

Could be fun.

Could be good for playing with friends.

From my point of view English is enough, most internet users  nowdays know it...

No need, this will just slow the game.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...

It is ok now.

No need.

I have iPhone and it is working fine there, don't know about android.

For me it works fine

no need

ok as it is now.

you have one already. I am playing Dominion for long time, so no specific opinion...

Could be useful for newcomers.

marfik57

L0lapup

Hi, L0lapup here. Here are my thoughts on the specific feedback requested, as well as a few other ideas:
Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
Definitely would use this, I prefer bots to real people, faster and I don't have to worry about being rude if I have to step away for a while
That would be nice
3. A strong bot.
That would be good, is it possible to give feedback on play from a strong bot? advice on better moves to make?
Not sure I get the point of that
Yes definitely, maybe only with bots, undo could get really annoying live
personally I wouldn't use this but some would
no live people for me
not necessary for me
doesn't matter, faster play is better, don't slow down with animations
I don't understand this
options are always good
not necessary for me
yes definitely would use this, especially if available offline
meh
I don't use chat myself
yes please
yes please

okay, and here are some additional requests not included in the original list:
I used to really like it when there was a cumulative score kept, I felt like I was working toward something, and I could see if I was getting progressively better. I also liked it when there were rewards and things unlocked when I achieved a certain score, or could buy additional things with points won, etc.
I would really value the ability to buy additional cards/sets with points or coins earned with extended play. I would even be willing to see occasional advertisements (Ideally for other games I could sample free) for the benefit of the ability to buy cards with coins.
That's it, thanks for continuing to work on this. This is the one game I like to play online, other than puzzle type games.

StoneCamp

Hi Stef,
Thanks for the offer.
Great game, huge fan!
See my reply below:
Stonecamp

This would be great, most of what I do is play bots online anyway.  Would be great in a tablet (IOS) app or desktop (Windows) program
Had this before, and it was great for variety, helps develop against differing styles, and makes it more playable.
3. A strong bot.
Would love this!!!  A serious challenge, and even the ability to replay the same kingdom to learn and test different approaches
Great idea online to keep things moving, maybe a little grace up front, an opportunity to review cards before starting though.
Indifferent here, shouldn't be needed, but helpful for rookies.
Not my thing, but could develop interest if allowed to be self administered (by users who set them up)
Much missed option, my friends don't play online with me anymore because this is missing :(
English is the only one I use, but would want to play against the best from other languages.
As long as it doesn't slow things down, for older clients or not perfect network speed.  Would also not want a delay in starting, to load stuff...
Not high on my priority list, but all such minor improvements are noticed and appreciated!
As above...
I am iPhone
Space is an issue, so it needs to be smartly implemented to make it more usable.  But would be great!
Nice to have, not essential.
Timed games / turns should address the speed issue.  I have not experienced an issue with abuse, frustration at time:) but that is somewhat satisfying...
Just a simple one for newcomers, but campaigns would be more appreciated.  They are a good way to learn new cards etc...
As above...

lookinglassgirl

Please add me to the list

username: lookinglassgirl

Sets: Prosperity, Alchemy, Promos, Empires, Hinterlands, Seaside, Intrigue, Dark Ages, Cornucopia, Adventures, Guilds

Thanks!

stevedish

I'm happy to see this issue is remembered, as it was incredibly disappointing to have purchased the expansions a second time online (after purchasing hard copies of them), only to have those digital versions taken away. I appreciate your efforts to correct this, and think an offline client is the best solution.

Ranna156

I responded to your feedback page so please add me to the list.
Username: Ranna156

Also for the people interested in better table options I took a shot of an example of what i think is an easy way to create and look for tables. You can create private tables etc or even just create a table and invite others to join. It is easy to view the table options and at a glance see some other options that aren't necessarily a requirement for the game. The screen shot I took of a site that has a lot of card games. It is called Pogo.com and they have all kinds of games. I don't know how difficult it would be to implement something like this but here is a shot of it. The particular game i screen shot was a bridge game which is a 4 player game so there are always 4 seats. In Dominion i guess there could be 2 - 6. Anyway you can tell from the screen shot how easy it is to find out information about the game. The second window is after i clicked on the Information button on table 5 I think. Anyway just wanted to share some food for thought.

Thanks!

Trangor

Quote from: Stef on 09 January 2018, 10:33:57 AM
Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
3. A strong bot.

1. For an offline app to be playable the AI needs to be much better. Unless you create som neural network and use big data (i.e. a lot of played games) that is not going to happen with the diversity Dominion has come to with the new expansions. However, this is not entirely true, it is possible to create special algorithms for special situations (but then the intelligence is is at the deck creator, not the AI).
2. -
3. -
4. 4 minutes is way too long. Usually if I meet a "dead" player I forfeit and start another match instead. 1 minute should be enough. Naturally the best would be to be able to change the setting yourself as well.
5. The problem with undoing today is that it's not clear at all what you undo. When you are asked if you accept the undo, it should state what undo action you are asked to verify. Also, it would be great if you could have a setting: accept undos (choose types). I would check everyhing except seeing drawn cards.
6. Maybe it would be nice. Leagues could also be an interesting feature.
7. Inviting others should really be possible in any UI built after 1990.
8. Not necessary at all. What is wrong with English?
9. Don't care about animations.
10. Don't really understand what you are looking for. The Prince visualisation is ok as it is. Have never had any problem with that.
10b. No immediate need for hiding the log as long as you play on a computer (which I do).
11. Don't care. I play on a computer.
12. Don't care. I play on a computer.
13. It would be nice to see the point development during the game in a chart after the game has finished.
14. Not really necessary. Everyone can be their own moderator by banning other people. Whenever I meet someone I don't want to play with for any kind of reason I ban the. What you can do is making it super clear that the option to blacklist other players exist. Also, if someone becomes blacklisted by a lot of other players in a short time, you could examine that player's logs and contact him/her to deliver a warning or just dispatch him/her.
15-16. I don't need a tutorial.

Other: The pricing is too high. No way I'm paying 50€/year for dominion. And you can only choose between gold and silver subscriptions. My suggestions are: lower the price and open up for subscribing to single expansions.

overdew

Here are some guidelines on the kind of feedback I'm looking for:
1. Try to keep it short & concise
2. Try to describe your own personal wishes, not what you think is best for others.
3. Please make actual points in these posts (instead of refering to earlier posts making points)

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots - yes, I was counting on that
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles - yes
3. A strong bot. - yes
4. Options for timed games - no
5. Options for undo settings - no
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.- maybe
7. Option to invite specific players to your table - yes
8. More translations (to what language?) - no
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... yes, if it's fast
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... yes
10. Option to hide the log - no
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) - yes, improve compatibility
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - yes, improve compatibility
13. Downloadable game logs - no
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) - no
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - no
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. - no

fix broken AI/bot actions:
bots cannot handle lurker
bots cannot handle multiple torcherers played against them (they always discard)

add the ability to exclude specific cards when randomizing table

add an option to see $us cost (if it was there, I did not figure it out)

OvertAnglerfish

My in-game username is the same as my username here.

1-3. I have no interest in playing against bots. Perhaps an option to play against yourself would be interesting though for comparing two different strategies. i.e. a two player game where you control both players.
4. Yes, I'd like an option for timed games. I think something like 60-90 seconds per turn with a 20-30 minute timebank would be good (and options to adjust these values). If your turn takes more than the base number, it starts coming out of your time bank. And once your time-bank is out, you get 10 second warnings before your turn forcibly ends. And for games where you *genuinely* need more time, an option to request more time from your opponent would be nice.
5. I'd appreciate an easier way to undo multiple steps. I have never really figured out the interface for it.
6. I probably wouldn't use this feature
7. Yes, I would like a private table feature in addition to this.
8. No need
9. Personally, I know what to expect in the game already so I don't need better animations.
10a. Yes, you should be able to see both cards in a split pile when you right click on the top card.
10b. Yes, I'd like to be able to hide the log. In fact, the game should do this automatically when the screen size is reduced.
11-12. A phone screen is probably too small to comfortably play.
13. I wouldn't use this.
14. I haven't experienced that much of this, but I think an option to mute your opponent(s) is an easy way of dealing with chat abuse that doesn't require more moderators.
15-16. I don't need these.

bogglingjudy

Here are the things I would like to see improved:
1. More bots to play one on one with that play differently
2. My card variety has gone down to very little, (20?)so some way that I can get that changed up
3. An app for iPhones that work ( I have a 6s plus)
4. I used to play with others online when it was simple to get into a game, but it seems hard to manage now. An easy
   way to get into or start a game would be great.
That's it. Right now I get very little with the cards I'm randomly given. I paid for quite a few sets, but they are definitely gone :(

PizzaPi

username: PizzaPi

Hello,
I've greatly enjoyed this new version of online dominion.  The best part of this platform is that it has a very solid foundation that was badly missing from the Making Fun/Goko/Funsockets edition.  The overall speed of card resolution is much better as well.  There was nothing worse than trying to play a Hunting Party stack on the Making Fun version.  I also appreciate that my laptop doesn't turn into a cooktop that drains away my battery.

My biggest criticism of the current implementation would have to be the price.  42 Euros for a one year subscription seems very high to me and was the sole reason I have not renewed since my one free year expired.  I feel like there should be some kind of discount for subscribing a longer time period.

3. A strong bot.
I would like there to be a campaign of some kind but nothing like the Making Fun version.  It's okay to have a few levels of just straight dominion games but there needs to be a lot of levels with a unique twist to keep it interesting.  For example, I once played a dominion implementation which had a campaign level where the goal was to set aside 3 Golds with Islands while facing multiple opponents who started with Pirate Ships in their deck.  Campaigns should also not be limited to cards belonging to single expansions like the Making Fun version.

Originally I thought that I would only be interested in the offline version that was announced but if the price of subscription is decreased then I would strongly consider sticking to the online version.

All of my games on dominion online have been against bots except for maybe a handful.  I would absolutely love if there was a stronger AI to play against.  I don't think differing play styles is really necessary (except maybe for campaigns?).  Various difficulty levels is a good thing to have.

This does not interest me.

I think some improvements to the undo UI could be improved to make it clearer how far back you would like to undo.

This would be a cool feature but unlikely one that I would use.

This would be a good feature to add.

Doesn't matter to me but a good idea to increase the user base.

This doesn't matter to me either way

It would be nice if when you right clicked a split pile it showed you both cards in the pile.  The other stuff such as durations, reserves, and prince targets I've gotten used to already.

I would never use this.  I greatly prefer seeing the log.  I originally found having to click buttons in the log as a little awkward but I've adjusted and it no longer bothers me.

This isn't very important to me.

This isn't very important to me.

I rarely play against strangers so this does not matter much to me.  Moderating the internet is a nightmare.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion.

This and adding campaigns are both required in order for me to recommend this platform to my friends.

Thank you for reading my feedback.

LordOrd

username: LordOrd

I have enjoyed the new version of Dominion Online, but it took some getting used to.
My biggest issue with the new version over the MF version is the many actions that either are taken automatically.  Sometimes cards just seem to disappear without any note of what happened in the log.  For example when a user plays Lookout an all three cards are the same the cards just disappear.

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots - I don't need this.  I'd rather play humans than bots.
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles  - I don't need this.  I'd rather play humans than bots.
3. A strong bot. - I don't need this.  I'd rather play humans than bots.
4. Options for timed games - This sounds interesting.  I think there could be a timer per move, but not for the whole game.  You don't know if the game will end in 10 rounds or 20 rounds, so a timer could really bite you in the butt for a slower scoring game.
5. Options for undo settings - I like this.  Option to give one or two free undos for mistakes.  But too many undos and it seems the person may be trying to cheat the system/game.
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. - This sounds fun.
7. Option to invite specific players to your table - I don't need this.  I'll play with anyone.
8. More translations (to what language?) - I don't need this.  I use English.
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... - Animations moving cards from deck to hand, hand to play area, hand to trash, etc. would be nice but should be configurable.  If they get too annoying they should be able to be turned off.
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... Yes.  If you are new to split piles, you don't know what the bottom card does until the top cards have been cleared.  Right click over split piles should show both top and bottom card from that kingdom pile.
Prince, duration cards, set aside cards should be displayed better.  You should not have to hover your mouse over your user name to see these. 
10. Option to hide the log - I like to see the log, but may want to toggle it off as well.  Option to hide autoscore would be great.
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) - I don't need this.  I play on the PC.
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - I don't need this.  I play on the PC.
13. Downloadable game logs - I don't need this.
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) - Yes.  There should be a flag to click for chat abuse and extremely slow players.
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - I don't need this.  I've been playing Dominion for years.
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. - I don't need this.  I've been playing Dominion for years.

Make It So

Hi there.  Long time Dominion subscriber; I owned all subscriptions on the previous digital version.  Username:  Make It So

Here are my thoughts:

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots - I would absolutely use this frequently.  I actually only play against bots or in-person with the card game.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles - Sure this would help me sharpen my skills for real-life games.

3. A strong bot. - Same thoughts as my response to no. 2.

4. Options for timed games - I would be in favor of a move-clock - like in chess.

5. Options for undo settings - The undo option is for losers.  Let's get rid of it.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. - Meh, I only play bots.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table - Same answer as no. 6.

8. More translations (to what language?) - English is fine for me.

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... - I prefer simple with a game like this.  So fewer/faster animations are best.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... - I would prefer of a better/constant visualization of cards in the trash, on an island, played with a prince, or durations (not have to click to view).  I would ditch the chat window default. 

10. Option to hide the log - Yes, this should not be the default view.  It is meaningless if the other visualizations take priority.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) - This would do nothing for me.

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - I would use this - particularly if offline capabilities were available (for flights).

13. Downloadable game logs - Meaningless to me.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) - Bots play quickly!

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - I think the game is pretty intuitive, and most people play in-person first, don't they?

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. - This is definitely intuitive if you already know no. 15.

I would love my subscriptions back, but I understand your thirst for capitalism.

Username:  Make It So

Thanks!